PDA

View Full Version : Measuring Teleport Homer/Locator Beacon

darkninja962
03-02-2010, 11:07 PM
I've never been completely sure on this. When using a teleport homer, or locator beacon (and all those other things that do the same thing), do I place my point and then hope I'm not out of the 6" range? Or can I measure this beforehand?

I've always assumed you don't measure, but its been debated a lot with my gaming group. Any help is appreciated.

Nabterayl
03-02-2010, 11:13 PM
The general rule (page 3) is that you're only allowed to measure when a rule specifically tells you to. Since the teleport homer doesn't specifically tell you that you can pre-measure, technically speaking, you can't measure until afterward (when you must measure, or you can't use the rule at all). Gaming group mileage may vary, of course.

faolan
03-03-2010, 12:10 AM
The way around this, of course, is to measure the size of your hand and remember where the 6" mark would be using your hand.

Madness
03-03-2010, 12:31 AM
Man so we weren't the only ones to do that! (in friendly games)

Apparently most people's distance from the elbow to the tip of the pinkie is 18" (at least mine is), we use to fool around with that a LOT. (specially during Necromunda games, 18" is the shotgun range)

Of course it's a despicable thing to do if you are playing with a stranger.

tjkopena
03-03-2010, 03:32 PM
I would assume that many groups would be ok with measuring it in advance; it'd be kind of asinine to stick it to someone on that. On the other hand, if you're measuring it so that you can get precisely 6" out, then that in turn is actually the asinine move. I would assume many people do what I frequently find myself doing in friendly games: Basically drop them at some obviously reasonable distance and measure simultaneously to double check.

Madness
03-03-2010, 05:15 PM
Measure guessing is part of the game mechanics tho (remember the old catapult rules? or moving while barely staying out of assault range and so on..), you can decide to ignore it, but I'd see many people resist to that.

Tynskel
03-03-2010, 06:48 PM
The way around this, of course, is to measure the size of your hand and remember where the 6" mark would be using your hand.

That is a form of measurement.

Technically, you cannot place your 'hand' down to measure.

BuFFo
03-03-2010, 07:25 PM
Just measure the 6" and place the unit down.

bob9801
03-03-2010, 08:15 PM
I would say the rules would have you place, then measure. Actually playing I don't think people really care unless you are trying to exploit the generosity.

cypher623
03-03-2010, 09:04 PM
just measure the 6" and place the unit down.

exactly...

Fellend
03-04-2010, 04:05 AM
Why wouldn't you be allowed to measure. It's I know people are raw fanatics but as you are not measuring to an opponent i don't see why it would be an issue. I don't think there's any rules that say that you can just measure things.

I might be wrong

Nabterayl
03-04-2010, 04:36 AM
Why wouldn't you be allowed to measure. It's I know people are raw fanatics but as you are not measuring to an opponent i don't see why it would be an issue. I don't think there's any rules that say that you can just measure things.

I might be wrong
You might not be allowed to measure because of page 3: "In general, players are not allowed to measure any distance except when the rules call for it."

As for whether or not your opponent would invoke that rule to make you drop and then measure, well, lots of players who know the rule are okay with breaking it. There's a difference between telling someone what the rule is and telling them how to play.

tjkopena
03-04-2010, 08:14 AM
Measuring for the pod as you place it is definitely against the rules, I just don't think many people would get too upset about it as long as you're not abusing that laxity. Depends on your local scene, obviously, and the context, but it's such a short and relatively guessable distance that unless you're using it to squeeze out every fraction of those 6 inches, many people probably wouldn't mind.

BuFFo
03-04-2010, 09:27 AM
For the record, I don't use teleporters, but whatever my opponent wanted to do is fine by me.

The Madman
03-04-2010, 09:45 AM
i'm with cypher623 and BuFFo on this. what would be the point in not measuring until after you deploy the unit, your just going to nudge them within 6" anyway, also its before the movement phase so you'll be measuring then as well.

only gripe i would have if the player started measuring his gun range whilst making sure s/he's within 6" of the homer as well.

EDIT: also if it wasn't allowed then wouldn't they put a extra sentance in the chaos marine codex regarding what happens if lesser daemons are out of 6" as they must be within 6" to enter play?

EDIT2: also this is just another thing the GW erratas or FAQs will never solve.