PDA

View Full Version : Heavy or Hobby?

Jwolf
07-24-2009, 12:15 PM
Either way, I think this is the Guard list I'll run for my BoLSCon challenge games. I need to get in some practice games against an Eldar Seer Council list and some Marines.

2000 Pts - 5th Edition Roster - BoLSCon Challenge

4 Company Command Squad
Flak Armour; Frag Grenades; Close Combat Weapon (x4); Lasgun (x1); Carapace Armour; Medi-pack; Plasmagun (x3); Chimera
1 Company Commander
Frag Grenades; Refractor Field; Carapace Armour; Melta Bombs; Plasma Pistol; Power Fist; Senior Officer
1 Chimera
Searchlight; Smoke Launchers; Turret Multi-Laser; Heavy Flamer

4 Company Command Squad
Flak Armour; Frag Grenades; Close Combat Weapon (x4); Lasgun (x1); Camo Cloak; Medi-pack; Sniper Rifle (x3); Master of Ordnance
1 Company Commander
Flak Armour; Frag Grenades; Refractor Field; Close Combat Weapon; Camo Cloak; Melta Bombs; Bolter; Senior Officer
1 Master of Ordnance

4 Ratling Squad

1 Guardsman Marbo

9 Veteran Squad Carapace Armour; Frag Grenades; Krak Grenades; Close Combat Weapon (x9); Shotgun (x6); Meltagun (x3); Grenadiers
1 Sergeant Bastonne Carapace Armour; Frag Grenades; Hot-shot Laspistol; Krak Grenades; Power Sword; Carapace Armour; It's Up to Us, Lads; Never Give Up, Never Surrender!

9 Veteran Squad @ 167 Pts Shotgun (x6) Meltagun (x3)
1 Veteran Sergeant Flak Armour; Frag Grenades; Krak Grenades; Bolt Pistol; Power Weapon
1 Chimera Searchlight; Smoke Launchers; Turret Multi-Laser; Heavy Flamer

4 Platoon Command Squad Flak Armour; Frag Grenades; Close Combat Weapon (x4); Flamer (x4)
1 Platoon Commander Flak Armour; Frag Grenades; Melta Bombs; Plasma Pistol; Power Weapon; Junior Officer
9 Infantry Squad Grenade Launcher (x1)
1 Sergeant Flak Armour; Frag Grenades; Laspistol; Close Combat Weapon
9 Infantry Squad Grenade Launcher (x1)
1 Sergeant Flak Armour; Frag Grenades; Laspistol; Close Combat Weapon
3 Heavy Weapons Squad Autocannon (x3)
3 Heavy Weapons Squad Lascannon (x3)

1 Valkyrie
Extra Armor; Searchlight; Multilaser; Multiple Rocket Pods (x2)

Hellhound
1 Hellhound
Inferno Cannon; Multi-Melta

1 Leman Russ Demolisher
Demolisher Siege Cannon; Searchlight; Smoke Launchers; Lascannon; Plasma Cannon Sponsons (x2)

1 Leman Russ Battle Tank
Battle Cannon; Heavy Bolter; Searchlight; Smoke Launchers; Heavy Bolter Sponsons (x2)

1 Basilisk
Earthshaker Cannon; Heavy Bolter; Searchlight; Smoke Launchers

Total Roster Cost: 1999

Questions, comments, complaints, and challenges welcomed.

Madigan
07-24-2009, 12:26 PM
Ahhh! Army Builder format is hurting my brain!

But beyond that, I see that you're spending a number of points on upgrades that could be used to buy more bodies. Namely, carapace armour for Bastonne's vet squad, although I suppose you're going to use stormtroopers to model this unit, no? Also, the various lieutenants and so forth with melta bombs. Planning on charging vehicles much?

Those extra points could be used to buy more Ratlings, or even another infantry squad for your platoon.

Of course, that's only if you're trying to be as competative as possible without being rediculous, but if this is the list you want to play against Jawaballs and Fritz, well, no reason to be modest about it, because they surely won't! :D

Jwolf
07-24-2009, 12:31 PM
I don't want to over-optimize the list. Bastonne and his boys are actually going to be SM scouts - anyone that wants to hang out with that guy has to be a world-class badass (and they'll still die, but them's the breaks).

Madigan
07-24-2009, 12:45 PM
Still, I don't see what four lone ratlings are going to do except maybe get lucky and pin a unit in the first if you get to go first. It's just that there are so many units out that where pinning isn't an issue unless you've got so many pinning weapons that they're having to take several tests a turn.

Of course, they are ONLY 40 points... I just hate bringing units that are any smaller than half a dozen... Must be bleed over from when I played Orks...

RealGenius
07-24-2009, 01:03 PM
BoLS Challenge?

Is that like throw a Fly Lord and random dude in the octagon and see who comes out?

Jwolf
07-24-2009, 01:59 PM
Nah, just me playing Fritz and Jawaballs.

crazyredpraetorian
07-24-2009, 02:53 PM
Still, I don't see what four lone ratlings are going to do except maybe get lucky and pin a unit in the first if you get to go first. It's just that there are so many units out that where pinning isn't an issue unless you've got so many pinning weapons that they're having to take several tests a turn.

Of course, they are ONLY 40 points... I just hate bringing units that are any smaller than half a dozen... Must be bleed over from when I played Orks...

Pinning isn't the major advantage of Ratlings. I use them all the time and they hardly ever pin anything. Their main contribution, atleast in my mind, is their ability to wound monstrous creatures. I don't usually take less than 5.

CrusherJoe
07-25-2009, 02:22 AM
Jon, I'll buy you...several...beers of your choice if you smash that smug elf-hugger Fritz's keister. I mean, yeah, I get it, he loveses him some Eldar, but christ it seems like every blog posting by him is more bragbragbragBRAGGING about how good he is, how incredible Eldar are, etc. Now don't misunderstand me, I don't dislike him or anything (in fact, I think he's a good guy and he does crank out a good blog once you get past the self-aggrandizement)...I just want to see him humbled a bit, that's all. :)

Madigan
07-25-2009, 08:00 AM
Triple agree with Joe here. I'm dying to see if I can get a chance to play him in the tournament, just for the CHANCE of saying that I beat the ever-arrogant Fritz. :D

FirstLegion
07-25-2009, 09:22 AM
It will be wonderful! :)

mkerr
07-25-2009, 10:01 AM
Poor guy. I already feel sorry for him.

-- mkerr

bullymike
07-25-2009, 01:53 PM
looks like an even and fun list. good luck fritz is level buhbillion

CrusherJoe
07-25-2009, 04:54 PM
Poor guy. I already feel sorry for him.

-- mkerr

Don't. He's due a little come-uppance. :D

Jwolf
07-25-2009, 09:11 PM
They've been really cool about setting things up and coming down here, and I'm excited about the games.

CrusherJoe
07-27-2009, 02:22 AM
Oh I have no doubt about that. He's definitely a very knowledgable and creative guy.

Call it the home field advantage. :)

RealGenius
07-27-2009, 06:51 AM
They've been really cool about setting things up and coming down here, and I'm excited about the games.

Will we be seeing BatReps?

Jwolf
07-27-2009, 09:01 AM
Almost inconceivable that you won't see them. And be able to stop in and talk about the battles, since they're happening on BoLSCon evenings.

AdamHarry
07-31-2009, 01:24 AM
I thought the list from thursday night was pretty solid. I almost felt like you were missing points or something...like there was going to be more firepower raining down on me...Oh and Bodyguard is the best thing ever. lol. I want a rematch :P

CrusherJoe
07-31-2009, 01:25 AM
...Bodyguard?

Exitus Acta Probat
07-31-2009, 12:29 PM
You could be more optimized without going into git-realm.
Basilisk? < Manticore

If he's running seer councils, and they're on bikes, then there is no such thing as over optimized anywho! :D

butcherbolivar
07-31-2009, 05:27 PM
use a colosuss and force fritz to engage you. Stick it in a corner and suddenly he has to move in early or have no scoring units left to take objectives. Same for jawaballs negate cover saves and pop rhinos you need to force them to fight you face to face where you are more comfortable instead of letting them dance at range using torrent of fire type plans to remove key units. Id keep your infantry in the chimeras and showing 12 armor, no easykills. Dants and corbulo are the key to blood angels attack, without them they lose alot of punch. Seer council falls to massed fire so aim to lay down max shots against them. Once they start losing warlocks they struggle to make kills. Destructor and singing spear make them a solid threat but if you can check them while killing his vehicles, especially his tanks to stop tank shocks, you make it very difficult for him to contest objectives.Probably feed them guard squads to keep them out of position. Watch out for bait units to hide true intentions. Always play the mission against them and think out your fire plan. Just because something can damage your troops doesnt mean they are the real threat. Best place to hit an eldar tank and especially a wave serpent is from behind so try to gets those hits for better chance to kill. Supercharged engines means the blood angel baal predators will be alot more mobile then regular marine preds.

butcherbolivar
07-31-2009, 06:47 PM
Forget what I said about colosuss, I say use what you always use and play your army with your style. Cancel his tactics with yours and win like a guardsmen. Go with your most refined list and fight like a man. Brick to the face!