PDA

View Full Version : 2 different MKII Faction decks?

Razorx1970
02-28-2010, 07:47 PM
I'm confused, but looking around online, I've noticed that there are two different Faction decks that claim are MKII decks?

The one listed 2010 MKII deck seams to be the newest, so what's the difference between the original MKII deck and the 2010 MKII decks?

Bigred
02-28-2010, 08:13 PM
I'm not certain as to the origins of the "old" MKII, deck, but you want the 2010 MkII decks. The other ones are obsolete.

stampdog316
02-28-2010, 08:42 PM
Yeah make sure the deck has 2010 on it. For some reason when PP released the decks for mk I they labeled it Mk II. At the time mk I was more commonly called Prime or Prime remix.

Razorx1970
02-28-2010, 09:25 PM
Yeah make sure the deck has 2010 on it. For some reason when PP released the decks for mk I they labeled it Mk II. At the time mk I was more commonly called Prime or Prime remix.

Yeah I mucked up then, I did a Buy it Now on what was called an MKII deck, but it's the old MKI deck, it doesn't say 2010, and was $6 less than the one that said 2010.

Well the seller will understand, and won't list it that way after this, and sell me the MKII deck instead, or I will just buy one from someone else.

GentleBen
03-01-2010, 11:33 AM
The 2010 cards are the third set of decks Privateer has printed. The first coincided with the release of the 3rd Warmachine book: Apotheosis. It was at that point that they decided to switch to color cards, and they released decks of those in case any players wanted to upgrade to prettier cards. Also having cards for all your faction's stuff makes it much easier to proxy pieces you're not sold on. The second set of cards PP did was for the book Prime: Remix. This book made a few minor tweaks to some existing models and collected rules from other book expansions like the cavalry rules from Superiority and the Two-Handed throw rules from Apotheosis for some examples. It also had all the official answers to all sorts of FAQs that had cropped up over the years. They released new card decks at the same time to represent all these changes and called them the MkII faction decks. Fast forward to 2010 and they release the new improved Warmachine MkII, and its relevant faction decks that share its name.

So that's a quick history lesson for everyone. I wish it wasn't so confusing because obviously the best thing about MkII for me has been all the new players it has brought in and this sort of thing can really piss them off. Not all retailers are going to be scrupulous enough to make sure their customers know they are buying dead cards and I'm sure there will be lots of places trying to off load this outdated merchandise to whoever they can. So, like everyone else said: only buy decks with 2010 printed on them. Hopefully you can get your money back for the bad deck. If not the cards are just about the right thickness to make roof tiles out of for terrain houses.

odinsgrandson
03-03-2010, 11:01 AM
Yes, 2010 decks are the proper decks for MkII.

This represents a horror story in PP's naming conventions.

One side note for collectors of outdated rules- you can have four different cards for anything released from Prime or Escalation. An original Black and White card, an original color card, an updated color card and a new MKII friendly card.