PDA

View Full Version : When it comes to rule debates, I believe there are three types of people.

Commissar Lewis
02-26-2010, 10:49 PM
Came to this conclusion while watching The Big Lebowski. There are Dudes, who realize it's just a game and don't get riles up, Donny's who are out of their element, and Walters, who get up-in-arms and metaphorically pull guns.

Movie refs aside, it's true. There are people who could care less about minute details and prefer to treat it as a game to pass a few hours, people who don't know the rules that well to really care about debates, or people that flip a lid.

I dunno, thought it'd be a good topic.

Kahoolin
02-26-2010, 11:35 PM
Careful man, there's a beverage here!

I love that movie. And I think you're pretty much right. Rules debates are usually Walter vs. Walter or Walter vs. Donny though - I'd say Dudes are unlikely to get into one at all, and if they do and then sense the other person is a Walter, they'll back out.

wittdooley
02-26-2010, 11:38 PM
That is so perfect. I will now watch Big Lebowski.

Commissar Lewis
02-26-2010, 11:44 PM
I was watching it, and at the scene where Walter pulled a gun at the bowling alley I had to pause and make this topic.

It's a good comparison, though. I myself am a Dude - it's just a game, not worth getting worked up over. Got enough crap to be angry about in life, miniature gaming rules ain't one of em.

RocketRollRebel
02-27-2010, 12:15 AM
Excellent movie. One of the dogs I walk is named Lebowski (made sure to tell his owners how awesome they were for naming him that) haha.

I normally don't really let it slide and I try and have a reasonable (yet timely) discussion regarding it. Thats why at tournys its always good to have FAQ's printed out and ready to go for when you need them. :)

Herald of Nurgle
02-27-2010, 01:37 AM
That is so perfect. I will now watch Big Lebowski.
http://www.delish.com/cm/delish/images/Ace-Lebowski.jpg

DarkLink
02-27-2010, 02:01 AM
Only problem is, there's a fourth type. Someone who knows the rules and does their best to follow the rules, but doesn't explode on someone if the rules get broken.

In fact, while there are plenty of dudes and donnys, walters are pretty rare. Much more rare than the fourth type that I mention.

Kahoolin
02-27-2010, 04:03 AM
In fact, while there are plenty of dudes and donnys, walters are pretty rare. Much more rare than the fourth type that I mention.In real life, yeah. Online there seem to be way too many Walters.

MightyOrang
02-27-2010, 07:28 AM
I was watching it, and at the scene where Walter pulled a gun at the bowling alley I had to pause and make this topic.

It's a good comparison, though. I myself am a Dude - it's just a game, not worth getting worked up over. Got enough crap to be angry about in life, miniature gaming rules ain't one of em.

Smokey, this is not 'Nam. This is bowling. There are rules.

Madness
02-27-2010, 10:51 AM
Those who divide the world in three types of people, those who sometimes do, and those who don't.

Bean
02-27-2010, 11:21 AM
Those who divide the world in three types of people, those who sometimes do, and those who don't.

This isn't even intelligible. What are you trying to say?

Melissia
02-27-2010, 11:31 AM
I think what Madness is trying to say is that the division posted by the OP is stupid and also stupid.

Madness
02-27-2010, 11:33 AM
Old joke of the "79.42% of the statistics are made up" kind.

david5th
02-27-2010, 11:47 AM
If you pill a fish backwards through water it dies - fact.

Renegade
02-27-2010, 01:29 PM
I guess it pretty much goes like that, but your always going to have a core that see it different.

Commissar Lewis
02-27-2010, 06:32 PM
I was merely making a joke, Melissia, in regards to the three types of people in rules debates. A joke based on a movie I happen to enjoy. There are a ton of types of people when it comes to rules; I was merely making a humorous post I thought people would enjoy.

Polonius
02-28-2010, 11:38 AM
i think it's pretty accurate. there are people that don't know and don't care, people that know but still dont' care, and people that care. If anything, the walter group doesn't properly include those that care about the rules but dont' know them. In many ways, they're the most annoying.

Melissia
02-28-2010, 11:43 AM
Also there's the "I want a competitive advantage so I'll argue for anything that will give me that no matter how questionable it is" group.

wazatdingder
02-28-2010, 01:06 PM
What about the Nihlists?

To them the rules are nothing but a tool to keep the sheep in line:rolleyes:

DarkLink
02-28-2010, 01:37 PM
i think it's pretty accurate. there are people that don't know and don't care, people that know but still dont' care, and people that care. If anything, the walter group doesn't properly include those that care about the rules but dont' know them. In many ways, they're the most annoying.

There'd have to be another qualifier. You mention "knowing" and "caring", but there'd be a third category at least; enforcing. People would either enforce by any means necessary, or attempt to enforce but be willing to drop the issue. Or not attempt to enforce at all.

Caring...................Knowing.................E nforcing
Yes........................Yes.................... ..By any means
No.........................No..................... ..By agreement
.................................................. .....No enforcement

That leaves us with 12 types of people, total.

Plus, you leave out those who "don't know" but "do care".

What about the Nihlists?

To them the rules are nothing but a tool to keep the sheep in line:rolleyes:

They'd fall under the "do know, do care" category. They just have different motivation for being there.

Commissar Lewis
02-28-2010, 03:45 PM
True, there are many more types than the three I mentioned in my original post. I was just choosing three archetypes based on one of the scenes from The Big Lebowski. The scene at the bowling alley where Walter pulls the gun.

Again this topic was made as a joke I thought people who'd seen the movie would enjoy. If you haven't seen The Big Lebowski, the joke isn't funny.

A tactical misfire on my part, I must say.

Kahoolin
02-28-2010, 06:08 PM
That'll teach you to make a joke. Ah well, at least the humourless robotic reactions you got were kind of funny in themselves.

Madness
02-28-2010, 07:01 PM
Hey Kahoolin, do you remember that time in which Darklink made a graph to explain us how people might react to a game based on a joke on the Big Lebowski?

HAH, those were the days.

DarkLink
02-28-2010, 07:32 PM
True, there are many more types than the three I mentioned in my original post. I was just choosing three archetypes based on one of the scenes from The Big Lebowski. The scene at the bowling alley where Walter pulls the gun.

Again this topic was made as a joke I thought people who'd seen the movie would enjoy. If you haven't seen The Big Lebowski, the joke isn't funny.

A tactical misfire on my part, I must say.

Heh, Walter knows, cares, and enforces by any means necessary.

Kahoolin
02-28-2010, 07:55 PM
Hey Kahoolin, do you remember that time in which Darklink made a graph to explain us how people might react to a game based on a joke on the Big Lebowski?

HAH, those were the days.I think I'll always remember that day, Madness. Always.

Commissar Lewis
02-28-2010, 08:07 PM
Well, this is what I get for drinking and posting I guess! Hahaa!

But post that graph, if you will. I'm interested in seeing it.

Madness
02-28-2010, 08:10 PM
Actually I meant http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showpost.php?p=58576&postcount=20

Subject Keyword
03-01-2010, 03:49 PM
I would call myself a Dude who knows the rules really well but doesn't get bent out of shape.

Oh, and "Titties".

DarkLink
03-01-2010, 10:02 PM
In practice, I'd have to say I'd be the Dude. I'm willing to let my opponents go with their (sometimes questionable in my opinion) interpretation of the rules just to avoid a big argument. I don't really care that much when I'm actually playing.

AirHorse
03-01-2010, 10:28 PM
This thread has done two things for me. First, made me laugh at the analysis of it all. Second, made me remember ive still not seen the big lebowski yet!

Madness
03-01-2010, 10:29 PM
Let it be known that I reported you to the moderators and I hope they suspend you until you see the damn movie.

AirHorse
03-01-2010, 10:38 PM
Haha, perhaps this new peer pressure will finaly motivate me, who knows!