PDA

View Full Version : Space Wolves or Imperial Fists?

SynodOfDordt
04-19-2015, 05:59 AM
I am planning to start a marine army with a generally shooty posture, but I'm unsure whether Space Wolves or Vanilla marines with IF tactics is preferable. If I choose IFs, then I will almost certainly be using the Close-Range Bolter Drill from the Sentinels of Terra supplement, allowing all bolt weapons to re-roll failed hits within half-range. I don't consider the range limitation to be too much of a drawback given that I plan get close up anyway, either by means of a Rhino or Drop-Pod. For me, the question rests on Tac Squads vs. Grey Hunters, and Devastators vs Long Fangs.

If I end up going with IFs, then the tactical squads will be armed with a Plasma Gun and possibly a Heavy Bolter. The Sergeant will probably keep his Boltgun for maximizing firepower, but I open to changing this.

As for Space Wolves, the Grey Hunters will be upgraded with 2x Plasma Gun, and probably CC weapons, though I'm more interested in comparing shooting potential rather than anything else.

Any additional upgrades, like Melta Bombs, I will consider later depending on available points.

As for Devastators, IFs get Tank-Hunters, and the option of padding out the unit with additional wounds. Long Fangs, on the other hand, get an extra heavy weapon. In either case, I will be focusing on Missile Launchers and Lascannons.

Thoughts on which is better in the shooting department?

Captain Bubonicus
04-24-2015, 10:35 AM
One nice thing about the Sentinels of Terra is that they get Devastator Squads as Elite OR Heavy Support choices. So you can get your support vehicles AND have some extra long-ranged firepower to boot.

But if you wanna get in close, I think the Wolves really shine when it comes to close-range engagements. Give 'em each the optional extra hand weapon and suddenly they're a lot less attractive to charge. You can park 'em in bolter range and dare your opponent to "come out and play!"

40kGamer
04-24-2015, 10:40 AM
While I love my wolves, they're more of a mid range shooty semi-assault army. IMO the IF are more shooty and they have access to a lot more kit if you want to expand later.