PDA

View Full Version : Acetone and resin

This Dave
04-13-2015, 07:50 AM
I had an unfortunate incident assembling a Forge World model when a band broke and let a piece slip so it dried in the wrong position. Since this was intended to be an army centerpiece model I don't want a misaligned part and as its a rather expensive model I don't want to risk breaking it or buying a new one.

So does anyone know a good way to remove superglue from FW resin? I tested acetone on some sprue parts I had and it didn't seem to damage them but I was wondering if anyone had any experience dealing with it.

Thanks!

CoffeeGrunt
04-13-2015, 08:27 AM
Acetone will devour the resin, don't use it.

I personally use Acetone-Free Nail Varnish Remover on plastics and metals, and it eats through superglue pretty well without damaging the mini. However, I haven't tried it on FW resin, so I can't comment on that.

daboarder
04-13-2015, 08:36 AM
Just chuck it in methylated spirits. (Ethanol)

Acetone wont damage the resin over a short period, but if you leave it in long enough to dissolve the superglue it will start to react with the resin.

This Dave
04-13-2015, 09:10 AM
Okay looks like a run to the store is in order. Thanks for the advice!

Morgrim
04-14-2015, 10:02 AM
Test on some glued sprue first, but for a plastic or metal models shoving it in the freezer for a few hours then gently twisting the joint works well. The cold makes the glue go brittle and snap easily.

Zaonite
04-15-2015, 07:04 AM
Acetone should be fine when applied to the area with a brush, get in there quickly with something to help the parts come loose. The acetone should evaporate before any damage can occur. Test on off cuts of resin to be sure.