PDA

View Full Version : I Am Slaughter??

Brakkart
04-08-2015, 10:25 AM
Okay someone posted a query about this on a Facebook 40k group, as they found a listing online for a new novel by Dan Abnett, due out in Jan 2016. Named "I Am Slaughter" it has the following synopsis:

As the greatest Ork Waaagh! ever seen threatens to engulf the galaxy, the Imperial Fists make their last stand

It is the thirty-second millennium and the Imperium is at peace. The Traitor Legions of Chaos are but a distant memory and the many alien races that have long plagued mankind are held in check by the Space Marines. When a mission to exterminate one such xenos breed on the world of Ardamantua draws in more of their forces, the Imperial Fists abandon the walls of Terra for the first time in more than a thousand years. And when another, greater, foe strikes, even the heroic sons of Rogal Dorn may be powerless against it. The Beast Arises… and it is mighty.

Sounds like an interesting novel set in the aftermath of the Heresy and the Scouring that followed it.

Mr Mystery
04-08-2015, 10:28 AM
Cool!

Interested to find out more.

ShadowcatX
04-08-2015, 10:33 AM
Will a full chapter of marines die off? That would be awesome!

Brakkart
04-08-2015, 11:03 AM
Will a full chapter of marines die off? That would be awesome!

Unlikely considering the Imperial Fists are still going strong in the 41st millennium and this is set 9000 years earlier. Should be a fun read though and I am so glad that Ben Counter isn't writing it. I don't like his coverage of my Chapter at all.

ShadowcatX
04-08-2015, 11:47 AM
Unlikely considering the Imperial Fists are still going strong in the 41st millennium and this is set 9000 years earlier. Should be a fun read though and I am so glad that Ben Counter isn't writing it. I don't like his coverage of my Chapter at all.

Ah, I over looked the whole "set after the heresy" thing. I thought the timeline might actually be moving forward. /sigh. Are they a first founding chapter or one of the off shoots?

Erik Setzer
04-08-2015, 12:02 PM
Ah, I over looked the whole "set after the heresy" thing. I thought the timeline might actually be moving forward. /sigh. Are they a first founding chapter or one of the off shoots?

Imperial Fists are First Founding. Rogal Dorn is one of the original primarchs. The Imperial Fists were defending Terra when Horus attacked; they teleported some of their number onto Horus' ship with the Emperor when Horus dropped the shields. It was Dorn who found the Emperor after his duel with Horus.

ShadowcatX
04-08-2015, 01:29 PM
Imperial Fists are First Founding. Rogal Dorn is one of the original primarchs. The Imperial Fists were defending Terra when Horus attacked; they teleported some of their number onto Horus' ship with the Emperor when Horus dropped the shields. It was Dorn who found the Emperor after his duel with Horus.

I take it they're proud of Dorn showing up too late to help their Emperor? Mon-keigh are so weird. :)

On a serious note, have there been any novels where entire chapters were destroyed?

Brakkart
04-09-2015, 02:03 AM
I take it they're proud of Dorn showing up too late to help their Emperor? Mon-keigh are so weird. :)

On a serious note, have there been any novels where entire chapters were destroyed?

The World Engine novel that came out last week details an entire chapter dying as they take down the Necron's Death Star-like war machine. There's a bit in Helsreach where Grimaldus is remembering witnessing the death of another chapter too as the Tyranids invaded and destroyed that chapters homeworld.

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
04-09-2015, 02:35 AM
I was so pissed off with the release of The World Engine novel, because I was half way through writing one to submit to Black Library!
I love the premise of the Astral Knights, noble sacrifice and all that, reminded me of Halo: Reach. Fight to the last man. Also, Artor Amhrad looks so ******* cool.
I made a character for our Deathwatch RPG a few years back (maybe 5?) who was one of the few surviving Astral Knights. A Sternguard Veteran called Varkas Dyorbachev. I retired the character and he became a Watch-Captain, which was cool.
I nailed the colour scheme and Chapter symbol. I think GW have probes in my head. :p

Haighus
04-09-2015, 06:26 AM
The World Engine novel that came out last week details an entire chapter dying as they take down the Necron's Death Star-like war machine. There's a bit in Helsreach where Grimaldus is remembering witnessing the death of another chapter too as the Tyranids invaded and destroyed that chapters homeworld.
There are some others, and also a few that came extremely close (Crimson Fists for example). There is a Chapter that died in Imperial Armour Volume 12 too.

- - - Updated - - -

No, that is pretty much their greatest shame. They are proud of holding the forces of the Warmaster at bay on the walls of Terra, along with the Blood Angels and White Scars, but Dorn took it as a personal failure that he was too late to save Sanguinius and the Emperor, and it was he that was forced to inter the Emperor on the Golden Throne.

Kirsten
04-09-2015, 09:04 AM
I am a huge fan of these '32k' style books. really enjoying the Heresy series, it is my favourite 30/40k event. But seeing the aftermath is fascinating. most 40k books involving traitor legions are pretty much just them as gribbly worshippers, evil, because they are evil. I loved the Night Lords trilogy and the detail paid to their struggles for basic materiel, crew etc. Whilst we enver really had much Heresy fluff, there was almost nothing for the period after that beyond the Primarchs being killed or vanishing. finding out more about all the legions immediately after the heresy can only be a good thing.

ShadowcatX
04-09-2015, 09:09 AM
No, that is pretty much their greatest shame. They are proud of holding the forces of the Warmaster at bay on the walls of Terra, along with the Blood Angels and White Scars, but Dorn took it as a personal failure that he was too late to save Sanguinius and the Emperor, and it was he that was forced to inter the Emperor on the Golden Throne.

I thought it would be "Oh, we saved the Emperor's life and got him on the Golden Throne, aren't we great!" I like the personal failure angle much better though.

Kirsten
04-09-2015, 02:32 PM
Rogal Dorn loves him some S&M, he is much more into the punishment than the satisfaction...

or at least one, then the other...

Haighus
04-12-2015, 10:54 AM
Yeah, this is the Chapter that regularly uses the "pain glove"...
http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Pain_glove

Kirsten
04-12-2015, 12:08 PM
glad somebody else got that :p