PDA

View Full Version : Inquisition Color Scheme / Inspiration

Matt Trent
03-24-2015, 03:58 PM
So, I'm looking for a good inquisition color scheme for my pack of fools (Ordo Xenos with a henchmen squad in a chimera). The majority of my army is cureently Salamanders in tradition greens and blacks. I'm also working up a harlequin detachment that he might roll with too. The question is color choice.

I see a lot of black - red - white color schemes on the internet (normally also with a Sisters emblem right beside it) and was wondering if this is the official scheme?

My first though was to do primarily black colors on the chimera since that's also a secondary color on my Salamanders, but am a bit at a loss after that. Any suggestions or inspirations?

gensu11
03-24-2015, 09:22 PM
When thinking about Inquisition color schemes, I always think back to the cover art for the Ravenor books, each one is an Inquisitorial seal with alternate colors, I believe one red, one blue, one green. I prefer my Inquisition dark in color, so definitely black, but to me there would be nothing wrong with using a dark green as the secondary color to tie in with your other forces. I use black and dark blue because I get tired of seeing the black and red.

Darren Richardson
03-25-2015, 03:04 AM
The Inquisition actually have no formal colours if you read the fluff closely, as each Inquititor wears whatever garments are the most appropiate for their required role at that point of their schemes, for example in the opening book of the Caphais Cain series Inquisitor Amberly Vail is wearing a blue dress!

However for combat purposes which doesn't require Power Armour, many use similar suits that the assasians wear, which seem to always come in black LOL.

Again Amberley wears one in the same opening book.

Figure wise, most GW armies have traditonally used a dark crimson with black scheme, with lots of gold or brass ornimation.

So to be honest, think of what your Inquisitors role is at the point in your characters fluff, what methods does he use, and base his (or her) colour scheme on that role.

Matt Trent
03-29-2015, 12:26 PM
Thanks for the tips and thoughts. I figured I'd share the work so far.

Can anyone recommend some thought about treads. I'm not exactly happy with leaving them black. This is my first tank to work on so i'm a bit at a loss.

interrogator_chaplain
03-29-2015, 01:23 PM
The standard I go with is basecoat of Leadbelcher, followed by two coats of Nuln Oil and the drybrush either Iron Breaker or Runefang Steel. Depending on how shoddy you want these to look, you could substitute the Nuln Oil with Agrax Earthshade and then use Ryza Rust in the crevices and then hit it with the drybrush of the lighter metallics.

Matt Trent
03-30-2015, 12:12 AM
The standard I go with is basecoat of Leadbelcher, followed by two coats of Nuln Oil and the drybrush either Iron Breaker or Runefang Steel. Depending on how shoddy you want these to look, you could substitute the Nuln Oil with Agrax Earthshade and then use Ryza Rust in the crevices and then hit it with the drybrush of the lighter metallics.

I know its not necessarily kosher, but what colors are those in non-citadel speak? For example I used a metallic gold for the trim, mat black, and flat green.

Morgrim
03-30-2015, 06:58 AM
Translation (and a few personal asides): A dark gunmetal colour of some description, followed by a black wash or two. Drybrush with a lighter gunmetal sort of colour - pure silver looks a bit too shiny.

Alternately, wash your basecoat with a brown ink and then add some rust paint to the crevices. Drybrush with lighter metallic as above.

Punchline
03-30-2015, 10:10 AM
I just registered for the forums specifically to share this picture with you:
http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=13448&d=1427731751
This is a Thorian Inquisitor, and also one of my very favorite pieces of fluff art from GW. As you can see, Inquisitors can most definitely be green, and it looks frickin' awesome. If I played an Imperium army, I would definitely convert an Inquistor to look like the art above.