PDA

View Full Version : Your First Army.

david5th
02-23-2010, 12:18 PM
With all the new Blood Angels soon to be released it brings back memories. Memories of my first encounter with 40K and my first army which were Blood Angels in the 2nd Edition. i collected it them because a friend had brought in the Angels Of Death codex into school. i loved the artwork, background fluff and models. This got interested in both the hobby and the army and after a trip to GW Worcester, brought the 2nd edition boxed set and started this wonderful if sometimes annoying journey.

So i ask... What was your first army and why did you collect it?

Fellend
02-23-2010, 12:34 PM
Technically my first army would be brettionians because my brother forced me to play with him.

But my first real army was Black Templar they still only go to about 5000 points and that's if you count apocalypse units.
I picked them because of the colors and and the fighting style. When I first saw the cover the codex with black clad power-armoured futuristic templars on endless crusades my inner boy squeeled. It was like someone had looked inside my heart and put it on print =)

Master Bryss
02-23-2010, 12:36 PM
Aah...memories. My first army was Necrons, simply because a friend told me it was best if my first army was Space Marines or Necrons as they were easiest to use. I went for Necrons because I liked the whole robot skeleton feel. This was back in the mid-years of 4th edition, when I could (and frequently did) blow up tanks with my Warriors.

Madness
02-23-2010, 12:38 PM
Dark Angels, love(d) the green (even tho salamander green is closer to my shade), the winged sword in the logo, the heraldry, the specialized squads...

lobster-overlord
02-23-2010, 12:56 PM
2nd Ed Tyranids. But I never played until 3rd Ed, and my first fieldable army was 3rd Ed Blood Angels. I got them in a trade for a GIJoe Killer WHALE Hovercraft (I got about 1500 points for it, so I got the better end of that deal, even in 1999.). I've since destroyed that army and rebuilt it, and I've sold off the tyranids with the recent craze for models with the 5th ed codex. So all that remains of my original army is what I've stripped and converted into my new army. The Baal Predator is still in use, but looks odd next to my two newer chassis versions.

John M>

Melissia
02-23-2010, 01:23 PM
My very first models were an Ork squad back in third edition. I have always been more into the background than the hobby, I hate painting and I didn't think I'd like modeling either (I'm okay with it, on plastic models anyway). While my first true "army" was my Sisters, I never liked certain aspects of the models, namely the idiotic and incongruous BDSM theme, for which I blame that moron Blanche.

Herald of Nurgle
02-23-2010, 01:26 PM
Aah...memories. My first army was Necrons, simply because a friend told me it was best if my first army was Space Marines or Necrons as they were easiest to use. I went for Necrons because I liked the whole robot skeleton feel. This was back in the mid-years of 4th edition, when I could (and frequently did) blow up tanks with my Warriors.
Wow. Likewise.

Then I grew up and my first <real> army was CSM

Melissia
02-23-2010, 01:30 PM
hen I grew up and my first <real> army was CSMClaiming an SM force is a "real" army is a contradiction in terms :P Now, maybe if you said you were switching from CSM to Necrons...

[/leaves, in avoidance of flames for those who don't get it]

Lord Azaghul
02-23-2010, 01:32 PM
First army: Dwarves! Armour and Honor! Armour covered stunty warriors with great weapons, cleaving foe is two…!! Warriors of the mountains…and my great love and respect of Tolkien. (hoping 8th ed put the fun back in the game)
First 40k army: necrons. I mentioned I was thinking about getting into 40k and a friend of mine said ‘here, no one ever wants these’ So I played with a fully painted and free necron army for a couple of months. But I never really developed a love for them. I kept mentally going back and forth between guard and SM. Being a big WW2 history guys, and not liking the look of ‘beakies’, and average guardsmen greatly appealed to me (tanks didn’t hurt either). I love these guys.
Simply a large blast to play!

sangrail777
02-23-2010, 01:40 PM
my wife (at the time girlfriend) intruduced my to a video game on 3DO called Space Hulk: Vengeance of the Blood Angels. I had remember seeing something similiar to this at my local gaming club. Next time I went in I couldn't help but get the models and learned to play 3rd edition. I learned to paint and created my army of Blood Angels which is still my favourite army. Hell the only reason I eaven started building other armies is so my friends could have large enough forces to use when they fought my Blood Angels.

Grubbslinger
02-23-2010, 01:49 PM
My first army (and only) was Imperial Guard. I had a friend who got me into the hobby. I asked him what I should play and he said that whatever I want would be good but that a lot of people play Space Marine. He had a Tau army so I decided to go with IG. I liked the look of them and the fact that they (at the time) were sort of the underdogs of the universe. I stand by my decision but my next army for sure will be Tau.

Darkriver
02-23-2010, 02:25 PM
I picked up a third ed box when The Game Keeper closed down but never played or put together everything (I think I still have some DE warriors in my bitz box somewhere). My first true interest in the hobby was a few years later. Agreed to do the Imperial War Colledge at our local GW store with my brother-in-law. Decided on Witch Hunters mainly because the background seemed interesting to me and there weren't a lot of WH players around. 3+ years later and it's been a wild and non-stop ride. :D

fuzzbuket
02-23-2010, 03:32 PM
my first army was a slightly different story:

my first contact with warhammer was when I was about 8 when I was over at a mates house and he showed me his big bro's nids they were very cool.
forward two years and a new hobbyccraft opens in my area at the model section there's a few warhammer things:
guard
crons
nids
sm
orksies
after survaying that i decided i liked warhammer but...
guard looked too modern (old cadian box)
marines were too ..blue/overplayed
crons looked too similar
and my mate played nids so didnt play them
Then my dad convinced me to go to the union street store and I asked the guys there what'd be good for beating nids! (in october)

Bought some Eldar:p (box with 5 avengers and a searpent, good box)
arfter christmas (enamels take years to dry)I had all my army painted (and since I didnt have a dex I thought it'd be a good idea to have a 15man avengrer squad:eek:
then It was my first game a huge battle( at the buchannun gallerys store now bagget stand:()

I thought you had to have your guys painted so altough I was wrong I still stick to it, why buy expensive little plastic men if your not goin' to make them look good?? (- 3 games of SH)

Dark_Templar
02-23-2010, 03:47 PM
Blood Angels. First army, on the cusp of 2nd/3rd editions.

Loved them, despite them not being what I wanted to start as my first (Eldar, but I got threats of violence if I started them since my "friend" also played them).

Some heretic in my family stole my winged Captain and Death Company (the Inquisition will find him), and I took a ten year break.

Came back two years ago mainly for the hobby, started Black Templars, realised I should probably get some painting practice first since their sprue is quite detailed and therefore moved onto Crimson Fists.

CF are what I am focused on, but I have a squad of Orks, Necrons, Tau, and IG.

Once I am finished with my CF, I will expand my IG and start Eldar (when my painting skills can do them justice). Once they are done, I will look at growing my Tau (but only if Kroot are given a more major role in the new codex and the battlesuits are redesigned). Eventually I will get back to the Templars, but they have become a low priority.

DT.

p.s. Sorry for rambling.

papa smurf
02-23-2010, 03:48 PM
hmm, i have to approach this question differently, because i bought the 4th edition box a couple years back, and built on those two races: space marines and tyranids.
i guess i have to say game-wise and model-wise the tyranids were my first army. i was and still am a big genestealer fan (even though no grenades/flesh hooks= sad hivemind) and even now with the new edition i use mostly genestealers because i love how they are the mid ground for nids: they aren't numberless like gaunts, but aren't fatty monsters like carnifexes either. they're the shadow in the dark, that will rip you to shreds before you even notice... and then they'll eat your face :D. i even have 20 imperial guardsmen that i converted into genestealer cultists that i proxy as gaunts. nowadays i converted/mauled my ugly-as-hell gun tyrant into a much nicer looking winged tyrant because he was usually on the shelf while my broodlord lead the swarm. now that broodlords are upgrade characters, i had to make a new HQ, and i'm happy my tyrant looks much nicer now :)
my marines have received a lot of love too though, them being a chapter of my own design. still wish they had chapter traits from 4th edition, i feel like they were a little more personalized that way :(.

crazyredpraetorian
02-23-2010, 03:54 PM
GW contacted me about carrying 40K at my store. After many phone calls, I decided to give GW a try. They said that they would send me an army for free because if I played the game I could more effectively sell it. My first choice was Space Wolves.....however, I asked what the slowest sellers were...my rep said DE and IG. I picked IG, they sent me a boxed army and a battle force. Three days after my first shipment arrived, a guy showed up at the store and introduced himself as an Outrider. We became good friends and he helped me a great deal in introducing 40K to my community. I was hooked after my first game.

DarkLink
02-23-2010, 03:54 PM
I decided to get in right when one of the local players decided to get out. Picked up a ~1750 army of Khorne Berzerkers for $150. They were even mostly painted, something I didn't particularly care about at the time. I wanted to start playing right then, not spend weeks painting before I could get a game in.

rbryce
02-23-2010, 04:01 PM
kinda wierd here too, as i started with a canoness and a sqaud of battle sisters, then i got the fantasy boxed set and started on the high mountain pass that is dwarves! a few years and an accident involving spray varnish and a whole sqaud of thunderers later i went back to the sisters, and have stayed with them since, despite a few side-projects.

Duke
02-23-2010, 04:07 PM
I started in 2nd ed and my first army was paper scraps with writing on them like "Tactical Squad," or "land Raider." I played every army avaliable to me, but particularly liked Space Wolves with wolf guard who had both cyclone missle launchers and assault cannons on one guy!.

I then took a break and Lived in Europe for a while, during which time I began to pick up random models to paint. The only color I had at the time was "blood red." When I came back to the states I had about 4k worth of 'red marines,' fully painted. The guys at the FLGS said "Cool Blood Angels!!" after doing some research I found that I really LOVED the background (Vampries in space who are good guys, WOOT!) also, it was 3rd ed by now and the Blood Angel Rhino rush wasn't a bad list, so I stuck to it.... Still playing Blood Angels today (though I have been known to throw in some Eldar).

Duke

ggg
02-23-2010, 04:07 PM
Both Blood Angels and Space orks simultaneously- started with the second edition boxed set just as it was brand new. I was 11 years old and had just started secondary school. I can't remember how I afforded the £40 boxed set or how I came to enter the store in the first place.

- I was so happy. I could well up with the nostalgia of it all!

Mycroft Holmes
02-23-2010, 04:10 PM
Space Marines; a very striking Red/Black/White color scheme. (as long as you didn't get too close)

Terminators and Dreadnoughts sold me on the army.

The AKH
02-23-2010, 05:23 PM
My first army was Necrons; I liked the image of massed ranks of metallic skeletons. The fact that the Necron army was mostly infantry was a plus too (I'm not a huge fan of vehicles).

Flash forward just over four years, and I'm still doing massed ranks of infantry. Except now they're soft, squishy humans rather than hard, shiny Necrons.

Dark_Templar
02-23-2010, 05:32 PM
Hrm, too bad all Blood Angels players will need to dip their marines in glitter once the new codex comes out.

Madness
02-23-2010, 05:32 PM
HEY! No jokes theft.

Dark_Templar
02-23-2010, 05:40 PM
HEY! No jokes theft.

Really? Sorry, with so much Twilight Marines stuff going round I didnt realise. :confused:

One question though: What year did Necrons first come out? It was after I left the game for a while, so when I came back there were Necrons and Tau.

DT.

Madness
02-23-2010, 05:43 PM
White Dwarf 217, January '97 iinm. It had a free metal necron miniature inside. Unless you also consider chaos androids. Tau and DE came much later on.

Btw, I was just kiddin'. But you can joke on how glittery BA and hunky SW are pillow fighting ALL THE TIME.

Dark_Templar
02-23-2010, 05:56 PM
White Dwarf 217, January '97 iinm. It had a free metal necron miniature inside. Unless you also consider chaos androids. Tau and DE came much later on.

Btw, I was just kiddin'. But you can joke on how glittery BA and hunky SW are pillow fighting ALL THE TIME.

mmmm, Ragnar without a shirt, lol.

Anywho, I know Necrons have been around for ages, I knew of them, but they didn't seem get a "full" army and Codex until later. Or am I just mental? Both?

DT.

Madness
02-23-2010, 06:28 PM
Their first codex was in third ed., 2002, they did have an army list in 2nd ed and I'm not sure if the 3rd ed rulebook (one of the few I don't have) has anything inside, IIRC that peculiar book had a simplified armylist for every faction in it.

Dark_Templar
02-23-2010, 06:32 PM
Their first codex was in third ed., 2002, they did have an army list in 2nd ed and I'm not sure if the 3rd ed rulebook (one of the few I don't have) has anything inside, IIRC that peculiar book had a simplified armylist for every faction in it.

Oh okay. I remember back in like 98 my friend had a Necron model that sorta stood there as terrain, but I never heard anything much about them until I came back into the fold.

Thanks for the info.

RocketRollRebel
02-23-2010, 08:09 PM
Vostroyan Imperial Guard like 4 years ago. Didnt know that there were plastic guardsmen at the time... I dont regret it :p

bob9801
02-23-2010, 09:07 PM
I just started last october with IG. I always played the race with the heaviest weapons that you only had a few of, in every video game I played. Because of that I thought mobs of gaurdsmen would be a fun change. Shortly after picking up a few guys and the codex I found out about the masses of tanks and the superheavy equipment IG can field. I chose the IG over orks because of the steel legion models, I think they are cool.

Sister Rosette Soulknyt
02-23-2010, 10:50 PM
Back in the early editions where wargear came on cards...yes really.. i played Dark Angels. I collected them up until 3rd edition and at last count before i sold them i have over 10,000 points worth.
Then came along these nice new allied army of miniatures called the Sisters of Battle, and though they started out as a small squad or two i now have over 300 miniatures and close too 10,000 points of Sisters of Battle, i havent really added up my whole army yet in points...little afraid to i guess.

So now after selling my Dark Angelsto a freind i am just striclty Witch Hunters

Dark_Templar
02-23-2010, 11:04 PM
My first gaming group did not allow wargear...and frowned against people who actually learned the rules of the game properly. It was basically a game of statline vs statline vs I will punch you if you beat me.

SeanDMon
02-24-2010, 01:56 AM
I started Warhammer 40,000 after I picked up and played Dawn of War. My first army was 4th Edition Guard. After that, I got some Grey Knights and Sisters plopped into my lap courtesy of a good friend, then invested in some Necron on my own time.

Cryl
02-24-2010, 02:08 AM
Very first army was Dark Angels back in RT days when they were just the black armoured (yes black armour for them all) crazy people in space, I painted them all blue making my second army Ultramarines or is that second first army? I also had some chaos models when warbands were created from the Slaves to Darkness book.

When I came back to 40k in 4th ed I picked up some more Ultramarines (look they're all over the boxes now!), some necrons and now some IG

mysterex
02-24-2010, 02:33 AM
My first army was Chaos Space Marines back when third edition first came out, using the list at the back of the rules. I picked up the first figures simply because with the extra detailing they looked like an interesting painting proposition. The army and interest in playing the game came after that.

Originally the army included a lot of metal which I've made a point of replacing, so I've only got a few havocs, and a couple of rhinos left from my original figures.

Wolfshade
02-24-2010, 03:12 AM
My first game was the 2nd Ed. box set a friend of mine got, he played BA I played Orks, though I tried to play how he did and unsurprisingly lost so that fixed in my mind to get space marines.
I saved my pennies and then with my £20, went to GW Solihull with the firm intention of buying a 5 box of terminators, but I saw a box of 10 Death Company & Chaplain for £17.50 I think so I went for that instead and thus started a lifelong passion playing BAs, 15,000 pts and rising :) so I am super excited about the new dex coming out.

sebi81
02-24-2010, 06:03 AM
My first contact with citadel miniatures were Heroquest and Starquest. So I knew what a space marine was, but had no idea about tabletops at all.
At the end of the 2nd edition I bought a box of chaos marines and a box of imperial guard stormtroopers (the old plastic ones without real armor) just because I liked the models. and after that I was interested in the game itself and bought the boxed set. that gave me some really ugly orcs and some space marines... but no real army.
the first army i built was a catachan imperial guard. At that time (beginning of 3rd edition) there were deals in the shopping section of the white dwarf, that gave you the ability to buy a hole army a lot cheaper than the parts would cost.
My imperial guard has now about 10000 points and I have a large chaos army, a lot of marines and some eldar, dark eldar and inquisiton models. but guard is still my favorite.

pgarfunkle
02-24-2010, 06:07 AM
I started buying models back in 2nd ed but never really got to playing until 3rd ed. Started out playing Blood Angels and then expanded to Steel Legion when the Armageddon campaign was run, added Catachans when they received their own codex and then just before taking a break of 4 years at uni I started collecting Tyranids. Just over a year ago I restarted my Blood Angels (really looking forward to April :)) and with the release of the Guard Codex I started putting more Catachans together. I bought the Tyranid Codex when it was released but haven't managed to find any of my models. I think they are hiding in the attic waiting to attack the new Blood Angels when they arrive a la Space Hulk lol

Madness
02-24-2010, 06:33 AM
Wait if heroquest and starquest counts I'm changing my answer too. :P

Asymmetrical Xeno
02-24-2010, 07:48 AM
first models I bought were eldar, but nothing really truely appealed to me until late second edition when the Necron Raiders were unleashed. Then I became enslaved to the Enslavers...

Petite Francois
02-24-2010, 10:34 AM
My first 'Army' was Ral Partha High Elves for Warhammer. Then I made a very, very small (under legal sized) Realms of Chaos: Slaves to Darkness Slaaneshi army. Back then all the khorne and slaanesh models were sold together in blisters so it was hard making units of identical models. But I was very proud of my lime green and lavender 'guys', they fought hard and grossed out the other players:)

Wow, thanks for reminding me of good memories!

--- Emperor bless and cherish you!
Frankie

Matthew Rider
02-24-2010, 12:44 PM
Iron Hands, started 9 years ago when I was 8 and am still updating and expanding now. Though, they weren't realy Iron Hands untill a couple of years after I started. The sheer insanity and anger the chapter shows drew me in, and the brutality they show.

And I sort of have a bionics obsession..

UltramarineFan
02-24-2010, 02:07 PM
Aaah, my good old Ultramarine could you do any other?
To be fair I was probably influenced by the Battle for Macragge set I started with but if anything my loyalties to the Ultras has only become stronger over the years. I guess the roman-esque feel was a factor as well as i've always loved roman military history.

Kesher
02-24-2010, 02:43 PM
Chaos cause they were red. 90's anyone?

Dark_Templar
02-24-2010, 03:44 PM
My first contact with citadel miniatures were Heroquest and Starquest. So I knew what a space marine was, but had no idea about tabletops at all.

Wait if heroquest and starquest counts I'm changing my answer too. :P

Ditto. When I was 6 or 7 I was given HeroQuest and SpaceCrusade as gifts. Unfortunately none of my friends were interested in learning how to play, so I sort of just enjoyed the minis and the world. Eventually I picked up a White Dwarf (which is still hiding somewhere) which was Necromunda themed, so I went out with my Grandpa who offered to buy Necromunda box for me, but at the store I felt guilty for him forking out so much cash, so I changed my mind (wish I hadn't).

As the years passed I picked up the odd WD until eventually discovering a few of my mates had gotten in to 40K, and that is where my story from before really begins.

DT.

LoverzCry
03-01-2010, 08:53 AM
I first started about two years ago with space marines. I started with space marines, because a friend of mine started getting into it, and dragged another one of our D&D party into it as well. He had been telling me about it for the longest while, and I had no idea what he was talking about. We had gotten to Epic level, and our characters had their own armies and everything. He kept on telling me that space marines would slaughter my entire army with just a handful of them.. I called it BS, but little did I know he was right. T_T Once I went out and looked into 40k, I was hooked. I loved the tech, I loved the troops and the armour. I loved the aspect of the game, and the story (fluff) behind it all. It was all fantastic... except for one thing. xD The army that I wanted to play was Eldar, but one of my two friends was already playing them (the other started with Tau), so I chose Space Marines. This turned out to be a great thing though, because I came to adore and worship the Emprah fiercely, as well as play the Eldar. Now I have both armies, and I'm thankful to my good friend Steffy who introduced me into this fabulous game. : )

Subject Keyword
03-01-2010, 03:41 PM
I kept an eye on Warhammer for years, waiting for something to peak my interest.

Then Necrons came out, and I dove into the Hobby head first, conquering my foes in storms of Gauss.
I played Necrons until they were no longer relevant, and now I've gone back underground.

I watch...

I feed...

I wait...

For an update...

PedroKantor
03-01-2010, 04:24 PM
My first army was CSM (undivided) right at the start of 3rd edition. I really liked all the spiky bitz, obliterators really appealed to me too. That army was stolen from my house and i didn't get back into it til 4th edtion and started all over again with Tau. Now I have Orks, SM, Tau & CSM (Nurgle).

Diagnosis Ninja
03-04-2010, 07:46 AM
1500 points of 4th edition space marines Tactical Squads, all with "See, but don't be seen", "Cleanse and Purify", and "Flesh over steel". I didn't use Transports and vehicles, seen as they were more expensive to me at the time, and I had a squad of the 25mm base Terminators to back them up. Worked a treat.

After that, I shifted to Jump Pack Tau when I got back into 40k, and had 10 Jump suits at 1000 points. It could deal with everything, that list :D

entendre_entendre
03-04-2010, 09:01 PM
My first army was 3rd edition Eldar. It was a toss up between them and Chaos, but at the time I didn't really feel like being evil, so I went with one of the "good guys" (oh how times have changed...). My army was foot Eldar with lots of aspect warriors and Wraithlords (obviously I didn't really understand my army strengths). I actually considered using the Craftworld Eldar Biel Tan list to make a list with 6 units of Dark Reapers, but never got around to it.

scadugenga
03-06-2010, 04:57 PM
First (and current) army is still Eldar.

My group all started back in the RT days, with two of them playing Marines (Dark Angels when they wore black armor, and Blood Angels), one of them playing squats, and one orks. Eldar just fit into my playing style, and lets face it--back then, the Guard looked pretty lame.

Hellsteath
03-09-2010, 07:40 AM
My first ever army was High Elves way back in 93, my first 40k army was Eldar in 2nd edition, which I got for christmas the year it came out. After a while me and my mate swaped our 40 k armies so i then had spacewolves, I've been playing Marines on and off since then.

BuFFo
03-09-2010, 09:21 AM

Squats, back in 1988.

Why? Awesome models and awesome fluff.

Cryl
03-09-2010, 09:43 AM
Squats, back in 1988.

Why? Awesome models and awesome fluff.

Hell yeah. Bring back the exo armoured bikers!

BuFFo
03-09-2010, 09:47 AM
Hell yeah. Bring back the exo armoured bikers!

What was your first army?

Cryl
03-09-2010, 09:48 AM
I can't remember which I got first but I had some squats and some of the RBT001 marines back in the day... really wish I'd kept them

BuFFo
03-09-2010, 09:54 AM
I can't remember which I got first but I had some squats and some of the RBT001 marines back in the day... really wish I'd kept them

Ah, that is pretty sweet :)

I miss fielding my Mole Mortars... So campy looking, but I love em'!

Polonius
03-09-2010, 10:06 AM
My first army for GW was a warhammer empire army, built around the 6th edition box set I split. That was in 2002, and I've still only played less than 10 games with it (and it's now 2500pts painted).

My first 40k army came a few months later, when I started collecting Praetorians. I started with a few boxes of used stuff I bought off ebay and a guy on usenet, and added blisters that were still on shelves, and slowly expanded. My over all IG army is well over 10k now, with at least 2500pts of pure praetorian infantry models.

Ironically, I think if I could do it all over again, I woudn't pick them. I'd go with tallarn or the metal catachans, two ranges I've since added to my forces and really like working with.

The Dinosaur
03-10-2010, 04:29 AM
wow...my first 40k army were IG and i have so much respect for you Polo, i wish id had the cash to have a full valhallan army rather than the standard plastic cadians painted with snow cammo :P

i miss my guard, my friends still fear the basilisk!!

TSINI
03-10-2010, 06:56 AM
My first army was 3rd edition Imperial Guard - Valhallan Ice Warriors, remember the mini codex in the back of the big rule book?

My friend came into school with a leaflet for Warhammer Fantasy and Warhammer 40k, at first we were inspired to go for the huge sweeping armies of fantasy, until I flicked to the back page, where a basalisk was stood, surrounded by Tallarn desert raiders - From that moment onwards i knew i had to play as imperial guard, my local store was out of desert raiders, but they informed me that valhallans were the same thing but ice warriors.

I've still got them upstairs, half of them badly painted, some not so - showing a steep learning curve in the painting department. a pretty garish white and scorpion green colour-scheme.

I'm actually considering re-painting the metal valhallans to boost my current army.

therealjohnny5
03-10-2010, 08:14 AM
very first...G.I.Joe, then came 4th ed fantasy dwarves, then high elves, then 4th ed Nids, Marines

Aenir
03-10-2010, 01:24 PM
First Army was WHFB Empire, but never played with them ( or painted, heck or assembled)

So Dark Angels were my first TRUE army and I havent looked back!

Ebsolom Dhaark
03-14-2010, 09:55 AM
My first army (technically it was more of a skirmish force) was pre-heresy Dark Angels with the old beaky marines back in Rogue Trader era. Along came 2nd ed and with it my Blood Angels which I remain loyal to to this day.

Lanparth
03-14-2010, 10:41 AM
My first army was Space Wolves. Yep.

Archon
03-14-2010, 05:15 PM
Sometimes back to the 3rd Ed. a friend handes me the DE Codex as a birthday present. Back in this days I was into WFB and playing Dark Elves ...

... later on the Tau came an I was up to them ... years go and the best CSM Dex ever was born, finally my anlignement with Slaanesh went free and I build a EC army ... a friend borrowed me a book, named "Storm of Iron" and wow I bought a Warsmith, had some spare CSM Minis and now they are my biggest army including inducted traitor guards ... hmmm also got a DA Army cause I alway liked them, but never found time to paint them because chaos wents first and wants to be nourished.

Gir
03-14-2010, 07:57 PM
Blood Angels where my first all the wat back at the start of 3rd ed. I've tried to collect other armies, including Eldar Iyanden, Chaos, Orks, Dark Eldar and Tau, but I always come back to the Angels.

The Madman
03-17-2010, 09:27 AM
3rd edition Tyranids for me, liked the models as i was a pretty big fan of the Alien Franchise that they clearly drew inspiration from in the new look.

play chaos now but i'm slowly dusting and gearing up my nids again.

Azrael71
03-21-2010, 07:48 AM
My first army was a sisters of battle when they first came out allied with imperial guard tallarns 2,000 points. I now have 10,000 points of disciples of caliban which i am repainting them from Dark Angels color scheme.

with that in mind i am thinking of doing a crusade army with blood angels, Space puppies, Red Scorpions and the shield Maidens my attempt to create a female chapter of SM. people might scoff at the notion but its what i wanna do.

Anyhoo gotta wrap this up

Cheers

Azrael 71

Sister Rosette Soulknyt
03-21-2010, 07:53 PM
Id like to see some pics of your "shield maidens" when done ok.
Good to see some one not worrying about the fluff as much and take a contreversal step to going against what's percieved as impossible and create your own Chapter.

The game can be too serious sometimes, more fun please.

Oh and more Sisters of Battle players too

melloracer
03-21-2010, 08:08 PM
With all the new Blood Angels soon to be released it brings back memories. Memories of my first encounter with 40K and my first army which were Blood Angels in the 2nd Edition. i collected it them because a friend had brought in the Angels Of Death codex into school. i loved the artwork, background fluff and models. This got interested in both the hobby and the army and after a trip to GW Worcester, brought the 2nd edition boxed set and started this wonderful if sometimes annoying journey.

My First army was BA back in 94, I was a sophmore in college. My resident advisor played WH40K and got me hooked. I really liked the Background for the army. During my senior year I sold my the fully painted army for a good profit, but kept my first ever tac squad I painted. (they still see the table in apoc games). Shortly after graduation i started my collection again with some newer (and thank the emperor) plastic models. Didn't really care for the 3rd edition dex, but I am in the minority when I say I liked the PDF dex...but i am really hyped for the new dex.

Commissar Lewis
03-21-2010, 09:42 PM
My first army was Sisters of Battle, with some inducted IG. However, at $40 for ten sisters and (at the time) $35 for 20 guardsmen I switched to Guard.

Still use my Sisters occasionally when I want some 3+ armor and S4 guns.

eldargal
03-21-2010, 10:31 PM
My first army was Eldar, back in 1995 when I was only eight years old. My first games I played with one of my brothers SMs (BA, aka Red Smurfs), though.

Grimcron
03-22-2010, 11:22 PM
Necrons.
Easy to paint primarily. Still my first few batches of painted models still sucked. heh.
Just wanted to hang around with friends and make new ones.

Evil-Termite
03-25-2010, 03:37 PM
My first army was the Tau which I started almost 3 years ago. I started playing with a friend and I got to learn the rules by reading the rule book. I wonder how many players have done that! (There are several players at my LGS who have never read the rule book) I still have all of the models I started with and my collection has grown to over 130 models. I even won my first tournament award for 'best general' a couple months ago at a local tournament with my Tau for their best tournament score ever.

Since then I've collected other armies but I still get out my Tau army and play it about 1/4 of my games.

vulkan_tu'shaun
03-29-2010, 11:11 AM
ive been playing all my life or atleast been around it all my life. i first was playing first edition space hulk(5yrs old) and then didnt play for 6 years. when i began secondary school (i live in the uk) i began lord of the rings gave it up a year later then began lizardmen! i have always played them and have had several armies that i have sold, then at age 15 i began my space marine army and have collected them ever since.

i first began with a 2nd founding chapter that where from the salamanders. the background that i made was at the istavan masacer a company where lost then formed the crimson dragons. i then got bored with painting white so began my salamanders which i have built up to 10kpts. im know correcting lizardmen again.

love the lizards so i guess thats why i collect salamanders now. :D

B to the Bop
03-29-2010, 12:19 PM
I started with Angels Sanguine out of the 3rd edition boxset back in 2000. Played them for about five years until a friend of mine decided to help me paint my army.(he thought that spraying red from one side and then black from the other constituted a painted space marine. dasnpdfnrgnf!)

Just got back into the hobby recently. Decided to build a small vanilla marine force to get my chops back up before tackling a more substantial force. (probably more Angels Sanguine what with the new codex and all!)

shadowvast
03-29-2010, 12:35 PM
My first army was pace wolvesjust about the release of 3rd edition.....never finished anything more than 1000points before I jumped to chaos and i have counted myself among the fallen since then.

Maugatar
03-29-2010, 04:03 PM
Mt first army was the Blood angels, after seeing the terminator models in WD188, they were what really got me into the hobby, just because they looked cool. Although my first army was more a collection of models than i fighting force i did have some enjoyable games, with my red space marines (STill have my copy of Angels of Death).

Just painting up 20 assault marines as the start of a bigger and better blood angels army. Can't wait to get my Codex.

krispy
03-30-2010, 12:02 AM
my first army was....

crimson fists

what can i say, i was young - i had just bought this great book (RT) and the marines looked So Damn Cool!

so they were first

after a year or so they were repainted dark angels (when the dark angels still had all black armor.

then i had my orks... some eldar and thats about it

on the point of necrons - before they were released there was an "android" from space crusade -
http://images.boardgamegeek.com/images/pic132676_md.jpg

mine look quite like that - although i have a nice green on their weapons and their eyes are green to make them look more like necrons ;) hehe
/k

Herr Wiggles
03-30-2010, 12:28 AM
My first army was hordes of chaos about 6 years ago when I was 11, though I wasn;t really held in by them as no one would really help me learn the rules for fantasy. So after falling off the band wagon for about a year I got back into it with nids and haven't left the gaming scene since. Now I have aproximately 12000 points of combined marine forces, a 6000 point empire force, a 2000 point gondor WotR army, and 100 points of Protectorate of Menoth.

Gnoblar with Pointy Stick
03-30-2010, 05:16 PM
Ogres. Right when they came out. They're all the fun of Orc/Ork culture with the painting challenge of huge models. I love them!

Lord Anubis
03-30-2010, 05:33 PM
About ten years back, at the dawn of third edition, I ended up with a Tyranid army made almost entirely of the old plastic termagants and genestealers. I bought a few models from the GW Bargain Basement (anyone remember that?) and had a functioning army.

One which, to date, I have never played or even finished assembling. :D

At about the same time my best friend showed me the Chaos Codex, gave me a few of the old no-neck plastic Chaos Marines, and I fell in love with the idea of the Napoleon-complex Alpha Legion. Still playing them today. :)

Ugly74
04-04-2010, 03:29 AM
First WH army = Undead (always had a thing for skulls ... still do) ... First 40K army = 1500 pts of 2nd ed Space wolves which I used for a few months before I swapped them for 1800 pts of 1st Ed Chaos Space Marines (Blood for The Blood God!!)