PDA

View Full Version : D20 Combat system for mini wargaming

Broodingman87
03-16-2015, 04:12 AM
Hey everyone,

With the release of DnD 5.0, Wizards of the Coast has really simplified the system to the point that I think that it can be adapted for the mini wargaming community.

I'm not exactly sure how much Wizards watches their IP (though I doubt they will be watching a wargaming site). so, here I'll just outline some general principles and some issues with warhammer's system that D20 fixes.

The system uses seven different sided dice, d4, d6, d8, d10, d12, d20, d100.
There is no player turn. Models take their actions in initiative order, turns are counted when initiative returns to the model.
Models have a move action, a action, some models may be granted a situational bonus action.
A model has 8 characteristics.
An action may be used to attack, take a second move action, change or reload a weapon, cast a spell, throw another model, etc.
Different weapons deal different amounts and types of damage.
You can fired into close combat but there is the risk of hitting your own models.

Love to hear what everyone thinks and answer any questions.

Broodingman87
03-18-2015, 05:44 AM
I decide that I would probability get more activity if I start posting some rules.

Advantage and Disadvantage

Sometimes a special ability or spell tells you whether a model has advantage of disadvantage on a ability check, saving throw, or attack roll. When that happens, roll a second d20 when you make the roll. Use the higher of the two results if you have advantage, and use the lower result if you have disadvantage.

If multiple situations affect a roll and each grants advantage or imposes disadvantage on it, you don't roll more than one additional d20.

If circumstances cause a roll to have both advantage and disadvantage, the roll is considered to have neither of them, roll one d20. This is true even if multiple circumstances impose disadvantage and only one grants advantage or vice versa.

Coming next is the stats...