PDA

View Full Version : A new army for Goatboy

Renegade
03-11-2015, 06:32 AM
Goatboy is looking to start a new army and I thought we should provide assistance.

Quote from the front page

"I think I am tired of playing Daemons/Chaos and need to try something different. I think I have been burnt to many times with bad Psychic rolls, unforgiving random tables, and the overall feeling that maybe I just need to try something different to get better. I think that is the crux of this “army crisis”." (http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2015/03/goatboys-40k-thoughts-army-next.html)

I think that a break from 40K into 30K may be good for Goatboy if there are rules for Orks in the GW 30K set. It is played are far higher point values than 40K and may allow Goatboy to do the army that he wanted.

Otherwise I think that Harlequins or Dark Eldar would be a great fix for the sought for experience.

Thoughts?

Dalleron
03-11-2015, 06:38 AM
Maybe all he needs to do with his army is try something new with what he has. If I'm correct, isn't he the one with spammy lists of whatever army he's got lists for. Try to make less than hard as nails units work and maybe he'll have a new experience.

Charon
03-11-2015, 07:28 AM
Trying another comp does nothing with

I think I have been burnt to many times with bad Psychic rolls, unforgiving random tables

No matter how you build them, Chaos has game deciding stupid random tables.
From
"Oh! My Bloodthirster got killed by an random event in turn 1... how much fun is that?"
over
"Yes sir! I gladly challenge your Wraithlord with my S4 champion!"
to
"Great! After I had to challenge this imperial Sergeant with my Tzzentch Sorc Lord he now turns into a spawn as reward! So much fun!"

While random is not bad at all times, results you can not mitigate and have a huge impact are just stupid.

Haven't played Chaos for months now. I just treat them as Space Marines with allied imperial guard or Daemons (this way you get rid of the Warpstorm table)... overall this is also a better representation of the Legions than everything the Choas codex has to offer.

Cactus
03-11-2015, 07:36 AM
How about Guard? He can always make Renegades or Cultists out of them later if he doesn't like them.

Renegade
03-11-2015, 08:16 AM
How about Guard? He can always make Renegades or Cultists out of them later if he doesn't like them.

He seems to have issues enough with psychic tests, rolling for orders may cause similar distress to him.;)

Charon
03-11-2015, 09:03 AM
Orders are on Leadership. Far more reliable than "roll 4+ to succeed".

Charistoph
03-11-2015, 09:16 AM
Go Black Templars. No Psykers involved.

Even in 30K, just go Imperial Fists Legion and no Librarians.

But no Psykers means for army options of: Khorne, Necrons, Black Templars, Dark Eldar, and Tau. All other armies CAN do it, but some seriously lose out on options when they do.

Defenestratus
03-11-2015, 11:15 AM
Trying another comp does nothing with

No matter how you build them, Chaos has game deciding stupid random tables.
From
"Oh! My Bloodthirster got killed by an random event in turn 1... how much fun is that?"
over
"Yes sir! I gladly challenge your Wraithlord with my S4 champion!"
to
"Great! After I had to challenge this imperial Sergeant with my Tzzentch Sorc Lord he now turns into a spawn as reward! So much fun!"

While random is not bad at all times, results you can not mitigate and have a huge impact are just stupid.

Haven't played Chaos for months now. I just treat them as Space Marines with allied imperial guard or Daemons (this way you get rid of the Warpstorm table)... overall this is also a better representation of the Legions than everything the Choas codex has to offer.

All of those instances would make me laugh as a player because they're just so cinematically hilarious that only a game like 40k could produce them.

Path Walker
03-11-2015, 11:26 AM
Well some of us like that our Champion can displease the Gods and be turned into a Spawn.

It builds the story. The next game, I take a Spawn and someone gets promoted.

Charon
03-11-2015, 12:36 PM
All of those instances would make me laugh as a player because they're just so cinematically hilarious that only a game like 40k could produce them.

Some of us really want to play a game and not watch comedy central with dice.

For only 20 € you can have my homebrew random table to use in your game.

Teaser:

1-3 a giant meteor drops on your side of the battlefield, roll a D6 for each of your units: 1. Lucky! 2-6 unit gets obliterated.

Remember for only 20 € you can have the rest of this "cinematically hilarious" table for added fun in your "games"

Renegade
03-11-2015, 01:28 PM
Orders are on Leadership. Far more reliable than "roll 4+ to succeed".

That would be leadership 7-8 unless spending out on unit ld buffs and/or characters, not the most reliable, definitely bad to be in a situation where you have to rely on them.

Charon
03-11-2015, 01:57 PM
That would be leadership 7-8 unless spending out on unit ld buffs and/or characters, not the most reliable, definitely bad to be in a situation where you have to rely on them.

The point is that you do not rely on them. They are an useful addition to your infantry (which you don't see much of these days - I tend to see a lot of tanks and veterans) but not mandatory.
Also one of the few rules of 40k: "If you have to rely on a a single dice roll, you already messed up"

Sister of Chaos
03-12-2015, 07:51 AM
Consider trying some new tactics. It sounds like your issues involve the random bs like warp storms, ever tried infiltration spam with Huron and cypher to infiltrate 3 chosen (fun way to introduce your opponent to 5 meltaguns, plasma guns, or flamers, 6if the champ takes a combi) and 1-3 obliterator squads (let's them skip deepstrike)

helline9
03-12-2015, 07:52 AM
Goatboy is looking to start a new army and I thought we should provide assistance.

Quote from the front page

"I think I am tired of playing Daemons/Chaos and need to try something different. I think I have been burnt to many times with bad Psychic rolls, unforgiving random tables, and the overall feeling that maybe I just need to try something different to get better. I think that is the crux of this “army crisis”." (http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2015/03/goatboys-40k-thoughts-army-next.html)

Goatboy wants an army that's different to get better, something not chaos/ daemons, one without psychic powers, ...he wants a challenge?
There really is just one answer for Goatboy that covers that;.... Sisters!
(go on i dare you, take the challenge!)

Zagumus
03-12-2015, 09:41 AM
I just put down my Tau after 2 solid years of tournament play with them. My recommendation is to start by going all spring break and try everything. Barrow models and play a game with every army you can. So far I have run Necrons, Tyranids, Chaos Marines and I am looking forward to a game with Sisters of Battle. Each of these games has made me revitalized and I am looking forward to a new ITC season with a great Ork army.

Darren Richardson
03-13-2015, 01:49 AM
Goatboy wants an army that's different to get better, something not chaos/ daemons, one without psychic powers, ...he wants a challenge?
There really is just one answer for Goatboy that covers that;.... Sisters!
(go on i dare you, take the challenge!)

forget Sisters, go Oldhammer and do Squats, now that's a real challange!

:p