PDA

View Full Version : 3rd rank flamers

Wolfshade
02-21-2010, 02:02 PM
Apologies if this one has been raised before.

You have an imperial guard troop and your flamer dude is towards the back say 3rd rank for arguments sake.

You fire the lasgus from everyone regardless of rank, then you come to fire the flamer, the only way you can position the template is so that 3 (say) models are "hit" by it, now do those troopers then actually get hit by the template in the same way that a blast weapon scatters back on the firer or do they manage to dodge out the way as "they know where shot is going to be from/to"?

Nabterayl
02-21-2010, 02:06 PM
You don't get to fire the flamer at all. I can't find my rulebook at the moment, but re-read the rules for template weapons. They specify that you can only place the template if it does not touch or graze any friendly models. Be careful where you place your flame troopers!

SeattleDV8
02-21-2010, 02:07 PM
You would be unable to fire.
BRB pg. 29 ".....without touching any friendly models."

Wolfshade
02-21-2010, 02:25 PM
Awesome, thought as much but couldn't find the reference when I needed it

lobster-overlord
02-21-2010, 02:47 PM
It used to be (3rd ed) that yes, you could fire and your buddies ducked. I love that rule, and still dream of using it that way. I've played so little since then though that I tend to keep thinking it's a real rule.

John M.

bigman45
02-24-2010, 12:18 AM
Since this thread is talking about template weapons already i just had a question. I was wondering how shooting a flame weapon out from a hatch of a transport would work. It says that you cant shoot at all if you hit a friendly model. When using the template, do you measure from the hatch or from the hull. Just cause the template would lay over part of the tank if measured from the hatch and would hurt the tank so you wouldnt be able to shoot it. Or since its shooting from the hatch you just ignore the rule.

Wolfshade
02-24-2010, 02:22 AM
Since this thread is talking about template weapons already i just had a question. I was wondering how shooting a flame weapon out from a hatch of a transport would work. It says that you cant shoot at all if you hit a friendly model. When using the template, do you measure from the hatch or from the hull. Just cause the template would lay over part of the tank if measured from the hatch and would hurt the tank so you wouldnt be able to shoot it. Or since its shooting from the hatch you just ignore the rule.

That was going to be my next question, since with Chimera transports you measure the distances from the turret so must touch the hull.

Tynskel
02-24-2010, 02:55 AM
since you still 'touching' yourself, you are not hit. Remember the Template weapon actually touches the model firing, but does not hurt the model firing.

bigman45
02-24-2010, 09:25 AM
How about for the unit inside thou. There two different units and when the unit fires out the hatch there hitting the tank, unless they count as the same unit when this happens.

Calypso2ts
02-24-2010, 01:17 PM
Technically RAW you cannot fire a flamer from the top hatch, but in general I do not think you will find anyone who prohibits you from doing so.