PDA

View Full Version : Ard Boyz '10

Dooley
02-21-2010, 11:29 AM
Ok normally I dont really care for ARD boyz touries but every year I play in them cus its an excuse to get three games in in a day. I dont put togethr stupid POWER lists and I dont really nit pick the rules during the games. However after last year having fallen victim to rules interpretations that I did not care to argue over, I would like to go into this years a bit more rules Savy. Were can I find all these magical FAQs and Errata I hear so much about and which one should I go over for said Tournament? Im not looking to be "THAT GUY" who says you cant play with certain models because they are based wrong, I just want to know, so I can know what to look for, and to know if I have a valid argument for certain situations I might find myself in.

BuFFo
02-21-2010, 11:45 AM
Download the GW Errata and FAQs documents for the 40k main rule book and your army.

What ever place you are going for the preliminaries, call and ask for a copy of their FAQ, if they have it. If not, ask the judge as many questions as possible about any concerns you have.

There ya go.

Sir Biscuit
02-21-2010, 11:54 AM
More specifically...
http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/content/article.jsp?categoryId=1000018&pIndex=1&aId=3400019&start=2

DarkLink
02-21-2010, 12:06 PM
Were can I find all these magical FAQs and Errata I hear so much about and which one should I go over for said Tournament? Im not looking to be "THAT GUY" who says you cant play with certain models because they are based wrong, I just want to know, so I can know what to look for, and to know if I have a valid argument for certain situations I might find myself in.

Well, they're on GW's site.

Here's I'll give you a hint (http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Games+workshop+FAQs) :p

In all seriousness, though, to do this you need to know the rulebook inside out. A lot of us who post answers in the rules section have practically memorized large sections of the rulebook, and have flipped through it enough that if a question comes up about just about anything, we know where to look first. That takes either a really good memory, or a lot of studying.

In fact, part of the reason I like to check out stuff in the rules section is to keep informed of those "wrong base size" type rule issues that may pop up.

Tynskel
02-22-2010, 02:01 AM
'Ard Boyz!

The biggest thing to watch out for are cheaters. I made the mistake of letting Eldrad have 5 attacks. So, know your opponent's codex, and if EVER in doubt (which should be ALL the time) ask to see their codex.

This was my list last year: Absolutely kick butt- watch out for lying cheaters.

HQ 440
Calgar
Vulkan

TROOPS 520
Tactical Squad
10 Marines, Flamer, Plasma Pistol, Power Weapon
Dedicated Transport: Rhino
Tactical Squad
10 Marines, Meltagun, Combi-Melta, Powerfist
Dedicated Transport: Razorback w/ Twin-Linked Assault Cannons

Hv SUPPORT 380
Vindicator
Tank, Extra Armor, Siege Shield
Predator Destructor
Destructor, Lascannon Sponsons
Predator Destructor
Destructor, Lascannon Sponsons

FAST ATTACK 100
Attack Bikes
2 Bikes, 2 Multi-Meltas

ELITES 1060
Ironclad
Drednought, Assault Launchers, Hv Flamer
Dedicated Transport: Drop Pod w/ Deathwind Launcher, Locator Beacon
Terminator Assault Squad
5 Terminators w/ Thunder Hammers and Storm Shields
Dedicated Transport: Land Raider Redeemer w/ Extra Armor, Multi-Melta
Legion of the Damned
10 Legionnaires, Power Weapon, Plasma Pistol, Plasma Rifle, Missile Launcher

Culven
02-22-2010, 02:11 AM
Legion of the Damned
10 Legionnaires, Power Weapon, Plasma Pistol, Plasma Rifle, Missile Launcher
I have yet to see anyone use these. How did they fare?

On topic: I agree with everyone else. You will want to have a general understanding of all codecies and their FAQs so that you will be able to figure out when something just isn't right. If you aren't comfortable with something your opponent is doing, I find "They can really do that? Cool! Can I see the rules for it?" to be the best approach. Act curious and they are more likely to explain the rules. If you use an accusatory tone, things are less likely to go well. You should also have a thorough understanding of the basic rules and your own army's rules. I still run into players at tournaments who are unfamiliar with the current rules.

rle68
02-23-2010, 06:28 PM
The nice thing about ard boyz is there is no sportsmanship scores but that doesnt give anyone free reign to be a butt munch in the games.

but it is never bad sportsmanship to ask a question its all about how you ask

Dooley
02-23-2010, 07:47 PM
Believe me Im am in no way trying to be a....what was the term? "BUTT MUNCH" was it? Yes I am not trying to be a butt munch however, I would like to defend myself against accidental "cheaters" I have recently found myself reading and re-reading the BRB and often find neat little things I never noticed before or simply took for granted. I really like the game and dont really like it when people take things a bit too far and have to misconstrued the rules to eak out an edge. I really wish GW would run a large SPORTSMANSHIP friendly tournament.

BuFFo
02-23-2010, 11:33 PM
Believe me Im am in no way trying to be a....what was the term? "BUTT MUNCH" was it? Yes I am not trying to be a butt munch however, I would like to defend myself against accidental "cheaters" I have recently found myself reading and re-reading the BRB and often find neat little things I never noticed before or simply took for granted. I really like the game and dont really like it when people take things a bit too far and have to misconstrued the rules to eak out an edge. I really wish GW would run a large SPORTSMANSHIP friendly tournament.

The 'Ard boyz tourney scene is full of cheaters who would love to slip rules by you if you are not up to par so they could win.

Learn your rules to better protect yourself.

Tynskel
02-24-2010, 02:49 AM
I have yet to see anyone use these. How did they fare?

I know that a lot of people do not like the Legion of the Damned in tournament setting, especially something like 'Ard Boyz.

It was funny, I scratch built my Legionnaires using: 2nd Edition Marine Legs, Current Marine torsos, and LOTS of Tomb King/Undead bits. I have guys with shields n' bolters, banners, and kahpeshs (I don't know how spell and I am lazy!) The Sgt. has two Kapeshs (representing the 'power weapon') and a crowned skull head (pistol in a holster). Lots of blown off armor n' stuff on all of them...

After I built them, I decided I needed an army theme around them: So I came up with the 'Ard Boyz list. Not very many marines, so the Legion to the rescue! (Yes, I went to 'Ard Boyz with a theme army- I massacred 2 games, but the cheater massacred me, so I got 4th place-one shy of moving on. Another side note, I found out the next day that the cheater is not even allowed in my Local GW Store- talk about pissing off people so much they don't want your money! He only plays at FLGS; sometimes I like to drop the F)

As for actual gameplay...

As you saw the list, I had Vulkan, but I didn't give them Meltas. I personally think Legion of the Damned are wasting their special abilities if you are sending them Tank Bustin'. They are also VERY expensive to get 2 Meltas. (That's 50 points alone!) What they are good at is killing Infantry of all types. With the Plasma Rifle, Missile Launcher, Plasma Pistol, and WS 5 Power Weapon- they take out anything up through Terminators. Monsterous Creatures, I wouldn't try to send them after, but in a pinch I could- same with armor. Being able to shoot all of that, Rapid Fire Bolters, and Charge with 3 attacks each (4 Power Weapon) just clear cuts troops. They also Tarpit quite well.

Last bit of tactics: I used them in Tandem with the Ironclad. Kinda like a 1-2 Combo knock-out. The Ironclad would destroy a Transport, and the Legionnaires would kill the meat inside. This was really where they Shined. Since they are both relatively hard to kill, putting them close together forces my opponent to try to deal with them. I also tried to place them so they could 'daisy chain' to my army. If they got into trouble, they would stay alive long enough for help to get there. The Locator Beacon was a back up, but I used it in every game I have used this army, except for one: One person actually shot the Drop Pod. All the other games, no one shot the Pod because with: an Ironclad, Land Raider Redeemer, Vindicator, 2 Predators, Rhino, and a Razorback with Calgar- you shoot that! It is also why I bought the Deathwind Launcher- gave that Drop Pod extra punch of its own. The whole list was designed with this in mind: 'I have TONS of toys that will kill you if unchecked'. I never had a problem with Objective games with this list, mostly because I played to keep my few marines alive, letting everything else do the work (or contest), and then having Calgar with a scoring unit take their 'claimed' objective away.

That's the Legion of the Damned in a nutshell. I love them, but you really need a full squad to make them worth while- your opponent will try to kill them, and just having enough bodies to take more than one round of abuse pays off.

Tynskel
02-24-2010, 02:52 AM
The 'Ard boyz tourney scene is full of cheaters who would love to slip rules by you if you are not up to par so they could win.

Learn your rules to better protect yourself.

Yes, wear a GW condom and protect yourself! Memorize the Main Rulebook backwards n' forwards if you are going to 'Ard Boyz.

sorienor
02-24-2010, 02:54 AM
Yes you have to look out for things. In the 2nd round in 2008 I played vs Blood Angels. The special mission required all troops to start the game in reserve. He combat squaded all his tac squads into razorbacks, which is specifically not allowed in the BA codex. I did not know that, and it cost me.

Jwolf
02-25-2010, 10:30 AM
As a round 2 judge last year, I dealt with a lot of things that appeared to an impartial observer as mistakes, but could easily be seen as cheating by an opponent. I have found that 95+% of issues are people not actually knowing the rules, so learn your rules is the best advice to any player.

Dooley
02-25-2010, 10:33 AM
I guess living in Maine and not having a chance to play regularly leaves me vulnerable to more "experienced" and practiced players. Oh well I will continue to bone up on the rules and just go to have fun like I always do! Thanks guys.

Polonius
02-25-2010, 11:13 AM
As a round 2 judge last year, I dealt with a lot of things that appeared to an impartial observer as mistakes, but could easily be seen as cheating by an opponent. I have found that 95+% of issues are people not actually knowing the rules, so learn your rules is the best advice to any player.

this is a very grey area. It's hard to tell a person whose cheating from a person that doesn't know the rules, from a person thats pretending not to know the rules to cheat.

I've seen guys play 4 turns with a steely determination, only to turn into an old fogey who "has been playing so long I just get my editions mixed up." Even I wouldn't want to bet on if it was intentional or not. Odds are, it's a semi consious thing. he knows that hte old edition is better for him in this regard, so he simply remembers the wrong rule at the right time.

Lord Azaghul
02-25-2010, 11:28 AM
For all the above reasons it sounds like GW really should cancel 'Ard Boyz as platform.
The main concept seems to be "all that matters is winning' IE 'the ends justify the means'
That seems to be in direct conflict with the GW golden rule.

I have no problem with people bring 'cheese', taking the most brutal units/combos you can think of. BUT honest players really shouldn't have to be on their guard against cheats. Its the main thing keeping me out of 'Ard Boyz. I don't want to play those people. If you're willing to do 'anything' to win; I don't think you should be playing a game with set rules.

If you're caught cheating it should be an instant disqualifcation.