PDA

View Full Version : Up scaling X-Wing?

Mr Mystery
02-19-2015, 03:06 PM
Evening all.

So now, at least until Tuesday when Scum and Villainy hit, I have one of everything for X-Wing, and two or more of most.

And like any war games nut, I'd love to field all my ships in a single battle. Only the current rules would quickly make that a real chore, as you'd spend more time planning your moves than blasting those naughty rebels out of the sky.

Has anyone ever tried to tweak the rules to upscale? If so, what did you do and how well did it work?

One though I've had is to squadron stuff up somehow. Dead easy if you bunch ships by like, simply declare your squadrons, ship number them the same, and use a single disco biscuit to declare their manoeuvre etc.

But then you have to consider the various upgrades and that, and it all falls apart!

40kGamer
02-19-2015, 03:23 PM
Doing squadrons of like ships is the easiest approach for sure. You could have the squadron react as a whole based on either the highest or lowest pilot score and require 'like' upgrades in terms of weapons and such. I won't get to play again until may-June but this will go on my list of things to try out.

Brenlak
02-22-2015, 11:15 PM
Squads sound cool and would need special rules themselves, rules like:
-All ships in the squadron must be armed the same.

I'm kind of a terrain guy so things I would like to talk aboot:
3x3 area for 100 points, should that mean 6x6 for a 200?
We tried it, it was still very big. We need to come up with a calculation something that matches the board size to the point size.

Area Map, in a pick up game our rule is when placing asteroids:
No asteroids in zone 1 (deployment zones)
No asteroid within 1 range of other asteroids
If you still have asteroids to place ignore these rules(Cuz your sick in the belt, son!)

Games like this are hard to play with a competitive player, good thing we all just play for fun.

bigfatfred
02-24-2015, 07:34 AM
I don't think points are so useful when working out board size - number of ships is a better guide. For epic games I fly my rebs in squadrons of three or four, and three squadrons is about as big as a 3x3 board can manage. They all get the same movement order until they are within range 3 then it's a free-for-all.

We don't have rules about similar upgrades being required on all ships in a squadron, but I can see the utility in huge games, with maybe just named pilots being able to take upgrades.

Brenlak
02-24-2015, 11:25 PM
In epic you play on a 3x6 as default right? 3x6 is what I meant as a size in my previous post 6x6 would be huge! Anyways I think we can all agree that 3x3 is too small for a larger point game. I think points absolutely need to factor into board size instead of the number of ships, because you can spend more points on an expensive build for a ship, but if the board is factored bigger for points it will have to be very mobile to cover all the battlefield.

On my walk to work this morning I thought more aboot All ships in the squadron must be armed the same. I take it back I don't like this. You want to make it an advantage to be in a squadron so now my thinking has turned to "Squadrons may chose to move with one movement dial, while they do rule X"

X could be thing like: Hey kid I got your back: ships in this formation that are targeted from outside there targeting arc recieve an evade token for the first attack against them. Break unit formation.

Or like: Wingman: the central character in this squadron may not be targeted outside of its line of fire if the wingman is still a target.

That last one made me think of actual shapes of Squadrons. It makes sense to me to say if the squadron is arranged like this it gets this bonus.