PDA

View Full Version : Which faction to start?

Col_Festus
02-17-2010, 09:45 PM
Im trying to decide between Khador and Retribution of Scyrah. I mainly am attracted to Khadors play style and I want to paint some up, however Scyrah and the whole elvish thing calls to me. Help! lol

the_puritan
02-17-2010, 10:10 PM
Khador are a good starting-point for Warmachine.

Retribution's strength lies in its tricksy stuff whereas Khador's strength lies in its rediculous armor values.

You don't have to be an experienced player to use ARM.
:)

Bigred
02-18-2010, 12:01 AM
I think a better question Colonel is do you like painting pure gleaming Apple computer white? If you do, Retribution is your army.

If you don't, you have a variety of options.

stampdog316
02-18-2010, 06:37 AM
I would start off with Khador if you are already interested in them. Their play style is more straight forward than retribution and they have some good beginning warcasters. I learned the game with pVlad and he is very unforgiving for new players. pButcher and Irusk are also easy to learn.As you get more experience, Khador's options open quite a bit with the Old Witch and Zerkova having very different playstyles than other casters.
The Khador Army Book comes out in a couple of weeks and we will be getting a new caster--Strakov, and some interesting ranged units as well.

The bottom line is play what you want. There really are no broken models or unbalanced factions in WM so don't let yourself be talked into playing something you are not interested in. If you like Retribution go for it!

Col_Festus
02-18-2010, 07:26 AM
Any recommendations on a small starting Khador force? Such at what units to invest in? I noticed the battle boxes still haven't been redone yet so I was thinking of just making my own battle box with the new plastic jacks and maybe a different caster? Any thoughts on this? As for retribution I hear ya on that Big Red, I'm a dirty artist, I don't enjoy painting neat things. I was thinking of applying my DKOK paint style (not scheme) to a Khador list, I dont think it would look so good on a retribution army =p

Faultie
02-18-2010, 10:19 AM
You like dirty, slow, and direct?

Play Rhulic Mercs. :D

GentleBen
02-18-2010, 10:29 AM
There was a lot of back and forth about a good starting list in this thread (http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?t=3907). Although that was all based off starting with the battlebox. And you can always check the khador list discussion (http://www.privateerpressforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35) at the PP forums. I for one love the Butcher because he is pure hate, but he is not the most competitive guy. While very difficult to kill and with the power to level any Warjack, the big guy doesn't really bring any great tactical options to the table. Board control is very important in tournament scenarios and he doesn't have too much of that. Except that if you get too close to him you will be punished.

stampdog316
02-19-2010, 06:27 AM
Any recommendations on a small starting Khador force? Such at what units to invest in? I noticed the battle boxes still haven't been redone yet so I was thinking of just making my own battle box with the new plastic jacks and maybe a different caster? Any thoughts on this? As for retribution I hear ya on that Big Red, I'm a dirty artist, I don't enjoy painting neat things. I was thinking of applying my DKOK paint style (not scheme) to a Khador list, I dont think it would look so good on a retribution army =p

Some of the standard Khador units you comonly see are widowmakers, the manhunter, and either Iron Fang Pikemen or winterguard. Of the two I lean toward the pikemen because they are effective against both warjacks and infantry.
I would highly recommend the mortar crew as well. I almost always get its 3 points cost back in destroyed enemy models. It doesn't do much to jacks, but can be deadly against low armor infantry.

For jacks you can't go wrong with the basic juggernaut--it only costs 7 points and has one of the best melee weapons in the game. If you want a ranged option I would go with a destroyer. The Kodiak is another popular jack because he can run for free and has pathfinder.

The best place to get more detailed information and more ideas is the Khador folder of the PP forum. You can even post a list and get almost instsnt feedback from experienced players.

Col_Festus
02-19-2010, 08:06 AM
Excellent! Thanks for all the great feedback guys!

Col_Festus
02-21-2010, 10:38 PM
Alrighty guys, I took the plunge and bought some Khador stuff. I bought the MKII rulebook, The Butcher (new model), A Khador Jack, and a Khador Deck. I also put two more boxes of Jacks on order! I played my first game of MKII the other day with a friends Khador (I played a few MKIs before) It was a blast! Im hooked! lol

Bigred
02-22-2010, 01:17 AM
Welcome to the club. I keep telling folks to just try out Mk.II.

Its a REALLY fun game.

As for the Colonel, welcome aboard Comrade. I play Khador as well, but I'm all about the Old Witch. You're also in luck as the new Khador forces of Warmachine book is due out in March.

Col_Festus
02-22-2010, 12:55 PM
Excellent! Yeah, she does look rather fun to play. My guard roots are calling me so I'll probably head toward and infantry heavy army with eIrusk leading it and a few tanks.. erm um... I mean Jacks backing them up. I'm VERRRRY interesting in their new warcaster coming. He sounds like the master of close range fire fights, which I love love love.