PDA

View Full Version : Italy or Finland anyone?

RocketRollRebel
02-17-2010, 08:00 PM
Hey there all!So stupid noob question. I'm looking very seriously into FoW and we have a decent amount of players at my local store here and I've watched a few games but didnt want to bug them too much mid game so didnt ask too many questions. Anyway I've noticed most people here playing either Germans, Americans or Soviets but I'm curious about a smaller power like Italy or Finland.

So what I'm curious about is, are they any good? Is it worth collecting? What period do they fit into? Any suggestions as to how to build them?

Thanks!

Bigred
02-17-2010, 08:03 PM
Most of the smaller nations are mid-war but they do have a lot of unique traits and units.

You should flip through the Eastern Front and North Africa books for the full rules on those nations, but Italy does get style points for their elite infantry wearing feathered helmets, and still using FIAT CR.42 bi-planes for ground attack...

RocketRollRebel
02-17-2010, 08:45 PM
Most of the smaller nations are mid-war but they do have a lot of unique traits and units.

You should flip through the Eastern Front and North Africa books for the full rules on those nations, but Italy does get style points for their elite infantry wearing feathered helmets, and still using FIAT CR.42 bi-planes for ground attack...

Historical wargaming has always appealed to me and are the main reason I do Vostroyan IG but I hadnt really seen many historical mini games until I encountered FoW and didnt actually see anyone play it until I moved to Boston! But yeah I think I'm going to have one of the guys give me an intro game next Thursday to see how I like it.

Bersaglieri are awesome! (Psh we don't march. We jog *****es!) They are the reason that I would want to play Italians. I like my armies to look stylin while they are stomping your face in (again why I play Vostroyans and BA) ;). Unfortunately I didn't see much in terms minis available for the Italians. Am I missing something?

Aenir
02-17-2010, 09:31 PM
well the FOW website has all the italian things

http://www.flamesofwar.com/online_store.aspx?categoryid=10655&Country=US

Finns:
http://www.flamesofwar.com/online_store.aspx?CategoryID=8323

I also have seen (in person) some Hungarians, mostly it looks like Germans with a dif. paintjob, but im new to this

Bigred
02-17-2010, 11:57 PM
Agreed, the Flames of War range is VERY LARGE. So large than many retailers only stock the "big countries", but you should always check out the Flamesofwar.com website to see the full range. You local retailer can put in an order for whatever you want.

And yes, Italians are pretty cool!

Aldramelech
02-18-2010, 04:33 AM
Goodbye

RocketRollRebel
02-19-2010, 01:07 AM
So I finally got to play my first game of FoW today and I was totally blown away. Its truly awesome. I late war as Americans with a super sherman heavy list (some one else wrote it for me) and my opponent had a what I guess was a win big/lose big super elite SS list. It was great and I really liked the super aggressive play style that my army offered and its making me strongly consider an American force along with an Italian army.

After hearing about it and looking more deeply into the game it sounds like the people at Battle front games are a bunch of disgruntled ex GW employees who are doing a lot of stuff that people wish GW would do. I still love 40k tho but FoW is definitely going to be my second game. The minis are pretty sweet although it seems that the game is more a "gamers game" and not something that some one who is into the hobby for modeling/painting would be as into as say 40k or WHFB. To top it all off you simply cant beat the price. It seems you can assemble a good army for easily under $250 and be completely good to go. I would say I've dumped at least $2000 into my IG and BA over the years so this makes the game even more appealing. But yeah I really cant say enough good about this game thanks to the writers at BoLS for helping to push me over the edge with this! haha

Aldramelech
02-19-2010, 08:00 AM
Goodbye

Chappy
02-19-2010, 11:30 PM
The guys I play with field Italians, Hungarians, etc... quite a bit. Definitely look at North Afrika book or the new Eastern Front book.

RocketRollRebel
02-20-2010, 10:08 AM
Is there an eastern front Italian list so you can play those poor *******s?

Aldramelech
02-20-2010, 01:46 PM
Goodbye

beyond the grave
04-19-2010, 04:21 PM
I play the Romanians, and love them! my opinion, they are the better of the three axis minor powers, with the Finns in running second.