PDA

View Full Version : 40K End Times (Plastic Horus Heresy)

Pages : [1] 2

Lexington
02-12-2015, 04:43 PM
What with the whole End Times hulabaloo over in Fantasy land, there's been an understandable amount of speculation about the future of 40K - namely, will it be happening in our own Grim, Dark Future? I've been fairly skeptical, personally; Fantasy's collapse mirrors its collapse in the marketplace, and I figured 40K was stable enough to not require these sorts of cheap tricks to keep the boat afloat.

Well, maybe I was wrong.

Over on Warseer, Darnok had dropped an interesting hint about something that's coming in May, and top-tier rumor-monger Harry elaborated a little further (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?404464-Does-this-change-anyone-s-mind-about-armies-being-squated&p=7381170&viewfull=1#post7381170). It's difficult to separate from the context, so here's the whole thread mashed together:

My latest information has 9th for summer. May has something else coming.

Are the rumors of a red date in May wrong, or is this thing coming in May a pretty big deal?

Spez Marines!

ultra grimdark Spez Marines with extra skullz

You are laughing now. This will cause a ***** storm of similar proportions on the 40K boards to the one we have been enjoying on the fantasy side. :D

So. Something big is coming in May. Something, presumably, galaxy-shattering.

Discuss, I say!

Via Tzen at Bolter&Chainsword 2-16-2015

Please take this information with a huge wad of salt. I was really tempted not to post this at all, because a lot of the time rumours are just so wrong its laughable.

I was sent this information over several e-mails and this is the best I can do to put the releases into some chronological order. It could be very wrong.

Here's some bits of info:

- There's mark 9 power armored marines on the way.

- Sister of battle are shortly after summer, just after WFB 9th ed.

- Horus Heresy is about to become very big, with Games Workshop building on the success of Forge Worlds game. This includes new plastic kits for Warhammer 30,000.

Current release schedule to my knowledge looks some thing like this:

Harlequins.
Archaon End times - Bloodthirster and Khorne Chaos Warrior kits.

Khorne Chaos space marine supplement.

Adeptus Mechanicus.

30K box set during the "red week" in May - This is a period of time staff members cannot take time off from the shops.

Some follow up releases to support the new rules set for 30k.

Then WFB 9th rules.

Horus Heresy releases

Mark 9 Power armoured marines.

WFB Releases for the Empire and Chaos - This includes the starter kit for WFB 9th ed.

Sister of Battle (Actually a codex: Ecclesiarchy, but not called that).

This is by my own admission just guess work based on what I have been e-mailed. I don't know if the order is correct or not. Or even if it is complete crap. I just thought it would be nice to share. This is an experiment, I don't normally post anything without visible proof.

via Harry and others (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?405659-Plastic-(GW-produced)-Warhamer-30K) at Warseer 2-16-2015

The implication is we're going to see a GW-produced plastic Horus Heresy starter box/boxed game.

Originally Posted by my_name_is_tudor
More Horus Heresy stuff? How dull. They've already done that.

Originally Posted by 75hastings69
Oh no they haven't

Think outside the box a little.......... or maybe inside the box

Originally Posted by BasetheRuin
As in think inside the brand new 30k starter box?

I'll have to start saving money then!

:)

Hastings later suggested it might broaden over time to include more than just marines vs. marines.

Personally I don't think there's any version of a 30K game that could get me particularly excited, given my assumption that it would focus on the good marines/bad marines bust up and not all the other interesting stuff the Galaxy has to offer...

well maybe not initially

79Hasting69 says (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?405659-Plastic-(GW-produced)-Warhamer-30K):

Yes indeed, but let's take it a bit further. Let's imagine creating a standalone game, which is only available for say 6 months, BUT then we'll make the models from it available as individual box sets for something we are definitely going to support, something that might take up empty shelf space in stores. Lets ALSO then imagine we then release another standalone game, again limited to so many months, then we make the models from that set available for another range we support...

...both are something new, the first historical (so that's why I was linking it with the old), the second current (i.e. 40k) again new, but based on something existing AND something old. I'm sorry if that's made it worse!!!

The scale is the same, no epic scale, no inquisitor scale.

Right guys there are several separate rumours that folks are getting mixed up. So I'll at least split it up a little for you. THIS IS NOT RELEASE ORDER, just to help separate the rumours. IT ALSO ISN'T A FULL LIST OF THIS YEARS 40K RELEASES, in fact some of these may be early next year. NONE OF THESE ARE WFB BASED.

Admech Codex & models (full release)
**** Codex & models (Harelquin sized release already mentioned on thread)
HH Standalone box game, on sale for a few months, then models become part of 30k range.
Assassins Standalone box game, on sale for a few months, then models become part of the 40k range.

I haven't heard anything about mark 9 armour so don't associate it with any of the above.

I mean Harlequin sized as in number of kits, i.e. a few characters, a troops kit, a larger kit and a transport. Or thereabouts :) One kind of has a main codex, kind of, and it's been mentioned on this very thread. The other has also been mentioned on another thread, the one that got moved for not having any news or rumours in.... even though it actually contained quite a bit. In fact I suppose you might say the 2nd has a main codex too :) (kind of)

I think there's a misunderstanding here. BOTH new standalone games will have their model contents released. The first being HH, will see models released as part of the 30k range. The 2nd boxed game models will be released as part of 40k range, part that is currently only available in finecast and not deathwatch before anyone says it again.

I have heard that there might be a plastic GD, plastic daemons, and plastic CSM kit for a certain god at some point later this year (and no it's not Khorne!)

Harry says: (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?405659-Plastic-(GW-produced)-Warhamer-30K)

I never mentioned May
I never mentioned "Nerd rage"
I was only talking about the new space marines.
I said it was going to cause a "**** storm" ....
I simply meant it was 'big news' and it was going to cause a lot of ... 'excitement' :) on the 40K boards.
I did not intend to cause any panic.

It would seem duffybear heard a rumour about new space marines. He naturally assumed these were what came next .... mark 9
However it did not occur to him that what his rumour was about was what came before .....

I think these rumours ARE part of the same thing.

I think Duffy's rumours are about the new space marines for THIS .... for 30K
So that would make it not mark 9 but something like Mark 3 / Mark 4 ? armour. (Or whatever armour it was 30K ...someone will have to help me out with that)

The armour is a simpler, earlier version of the power armour we all know and love.
It looks a bit like something Tony Stark might have knocked up in the desert.

Some further context on plastic 30K:

via WhispererofTruth (http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/180/635635.page#7596528) 2-17-2015

The starter set will be joined by a plastic heresy armour set and some plastic Skitarri over the course of the next year. The idea of these boxes is allow players to create armies that can be played in both 30k and 40k and as such expand both markets.

Both Admech and the Legions produced by FW proved to be popular beyond all expectations. So popular infact that GW can justify pumping out kits for a game that isn't even one of their core games. It's also being done as a safety nets, in case 9th ed Fantasy (Which 30k now outsells) crashes and burns, then they have 30k in place to pick up the pieces.

The Old armour kit will be a mix of armour types rather than a kit of say Mk4 armour. All parts will be of course compatible with the current Space Marine range. I do believe a plastic servitor is being done too.

and the rebuttal... via Hastings (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?405659-Plastic-(GW-produced)-Warhammer-30K&p=7386024&viewfull=1#post7386024) 2-17-2015

This is partially true. The "starter set" is in fact a standalone game, however I'll accept starter set as it does lead onto the main 30k game. I think it's safe to assume that 30k could/will have a different game mechanic to 40k, or it would be pretty pointless as a standalone game. Hence the reason that some boxes will contain rules for both 30 & 40k (if the rules weren't different they'd only include 1 set of rules.

It's not however a safety net for WFB, it's a replacement for lotr/hobbit on the shelves as AFAIK all of this is going direct only. WFB is going to have plenty of store presence, and regardless of what many (and indeed I) think I don't think the reboot will be bad for WFB, especially if in it's current format is failing to sell. Hell at one point it was almost totally canned. You never know new WFB might just be awesome (not finecast awesome either), however my own feelings are that the background is what makes WFB, dick with this then it isn't WFB any more, and frankly that just isn't for me. I'm going a little O/T here posting about WFB on 40k (or should that be 30k??) boards but I feel it's as good a time as any. I think what's done WFB no good is the high entry cost and investment of time & money to get a decent army, making a game that's playable as a skirmish game AND a massed battle game does make financial sense, start small, minimal initial outlay, get people interested/hooked, build and buy a bigger army, SADLY this is where GW fall down, THIS IS WHAT THEY USED TO DO YEARS AGO, with games like Heroquest, Warhammer Quest, Blood Bowl etc. get people into the Warhammer world and setting and races of that fantasy world. They lost sight of this and thought that the product was self sustaining, it isn't, there is much more competition now for peoples hard earned cash than ever before, there are many companies that do similar and in some cases better stuff than GW and people know it, because other companies use the internet etc. to their advantage, GW see it as the enemy, and they are wrong. I guarantee this thread has generated more excitement in a few short hours than crap like warhammer visions ever will, and it won't cost them hardly anything. People including me are now thinking, maybe I'll get some nids really for genestealer cults coming along, or I'll pick up an extra deathstorm box for all the nids, or whatever, that GW is SALES. Hiding away ignoring your fan base is beyond ridiculous, especially in such a niche market. The fact that Whispereroftruth said "Admech..... proved popular beyond all expectations" shows just how little they know/listen to their fanbase, as this has been one of THE most wishlisted armies for so many years it is ridiculous. Anyway enough rambling.

I honestly don't think the new WFB will crash and burn. I think it WILL bring in new blood, and after the initial nerd rage some people may actually find that all is not lost, as my good friend Harry says "BRING IT ON!!!!!"

via Steve the Warboss 2-17-2015

Horus Heresy Plastics Info

-The Box is a Standalone / Starter Box hybrid Gaming Set (like the last two)
-The Box works alone but can be used as a foundation for Crusade Era Armies.
-More sets will come to give HH player a foundation in Plastic
-Legio Mk4 Power Squad box
-Maybe the release of a Termi and a Dread box with neutral designs to combine it with the FW legio specific packs and dreads
-Possible a Rhino I upgrade sprue within a own set
-GW will release only a foundation of HH kits!
-Sells of FW products in the GW-Shop coming soon

via Lords of War (https://www.facebook.com/Lordsofwargaming?ref=br_tf) 2-16-2014
Regarding scheduling of Horus Heresy Plastics

Plastic HH marks of armor in May? You're way off!

I didn't say it wasn't happening. It will not be in May.

Also, and unrelated...

Sisters of Battle are not coming out this year.

via Steve the Warboss 2-25-2015

-Gaming Set Includes a Suppliment for the Age of Darkness
-Rules and a Dettachment for Playing Legio Astartes and Xenos in the Past of 40k
-A new Allied Matrix including Xenos of the 31st Millenium
-Very generic Dataslates for the Models, only the featured Characters will have specific Background, but can used for any Legion
-Unlike the previous Sets, the Squads will have no unique Leaders, only names "Sergeant"
-Box will include 6 versions of new Sprues

via one of gary's birds (http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/Faeit212/~3/YJKW2V7NjRw/horus-heresy-starter-box-in-may.html) 4-8-2015

confirmed that HH was coming to regular GW stores.

A starter box set for 2 players with 'generic', non-Legion specific Heresy-era units is coming in May. Wasn't specific on plans beyond that, apart from that FW will take care of Legion-specific upgrade packs, unique units and any other stuff that GW doesn't want to run in plastic.

Apparently the demand for HH stuff has been so intense GW is centralizing the range.
Didn't mention anything about FW in stores though.

via Voices in the Trees 3-8-2015

Horus Heresy Starter Set

2 sides, Identically Equipped

Models are NOT legion marked.

Generic Heresy-era models.

– Early Heresy mark armor Astartes x20

– Cataphractii Terminators x5

– Contemptor Dreadnought x1

– Praetor x1

via Steve the Warboss 4-9-2015

Horus Heresy Starter Set

-2 Generic Legio Astartes Armies
-20x Tactical Marines (2 Sprues)
-5x Cataphractii Terminators (1 Spure)
-1x Contemptor Dreadnought (1 Sprue)
-2x Legio Centurions (both with options for Consul options, 2 identical Sprues)
-Transfer Sheet with Symbols of 3 Loyal and 3 Traitor Legions
-Suppliment includes a summary of the great crusade with important events and timeline
-Description of the Legions from the Decal Sheet with small history of them

via Bird in the Trees 4-10-2015

Plastic Heresy Standalone Kits (Age of Darkness) Details

Marine Squad Kit: 10 marines, Mk II-IV variants, bits for sergeant, communications, and banner bearer. Bolters or bolt pistol/chainsword for all. Combi weapon bits for sergeant. Pistols for sergeant include Grav, plasma, flame, and volkite. Power sword or fist for sergeant. Marine bits are compatible with current 40k bits. £35

Cataphractii Terminator Squad Kit: 5 Models. Bits for sergeant including grenade harness, power sword, combi weapon bits, volkite weapon. Marine bits include combibolters, chainfists, power fists, heavy Flamer, auto cannon, plasma blaster, lightning claws, and thunder hammer. (no storm shields) shoulders are 2 part to accept FW legion shoulders. £40

Contemptor Pattern Dreadnought Kit: Heavy heavy bolter, 2 fists with weapon variants (Bolter, plasma, flame, Melta) (no claw fingers), las cannon, and multimelta. Arms are universal, and compatible with FW upgrade bits. Includes legion decal sheet. £40

Deimos Pattern Rhino (or Predator) Kit: Includes dozer blade, Smoke launchers, HK, TL Bolter, heavy Bolter, havok launcher, flamer. Will be compatible with FW upgrade kits for predator, whirlwind, razorback. £30

RELIABILITY: This set of rumor is rated: POSSIBLE, coming from a mixture of known and unknown sources. Caveat Emptor

Just in from Atia (http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/303432-rumours-plastic-horus-heresy-box/?p=4008991) on Bolter & Chainsword 4-15-2015

Coming Very Soon - Horus Heresy Product:

"Horus Heresy - Age of Darkness"
http://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/the-horus-heresy-age-of-darkness

via "Mikhael" 7-15-2015

Horus Heresy plastic boxed set is coming and is scheduled for November 2015

via Waaagh Studios on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/TheWAAAGHStudios) 7-26-2015

Horus Heresy Plastic Sprues

Regarding plastic Horus Heresy:

via 75Hastings69 (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?412055-Heresy-plastics/page3) 7-27-2015

Regarding Boxed Set:

It's not REALLY a starter set, it's a standalone game, from which the models will be available from at a later date. The execution force assassin models weren't snap fit either.

Regarding Horus Heresy & 40K rules in the future:

...I'll share what I have heard, but this dates back a while as I pay very little interest to GW now.

I heard that 30k HH would be a boxed standalone game (like execution force was) and that the plastics contained within it would go on to form part of a larger 30k range and would be released some time later as individual box sets/clampacks, I was told that rules would be in those boxes, but that some boxes would contain rules for 30k AND 40k (and these boxes have BOTH logos on - yes there is a new 30k logo) so I assume it will be using a different ruleset to 40k (as there would be no point having rules for both systems in boxes if they were both the same). I was also told the plastic assassins would get clampack releases later and be released as part of the main 40k range..... as the box set is pretty much still quite widely available I don't expect this to be soon, although I never had a timeframe in the first case.

As for your AoS style rule reboot question - I remember being told to expect 40k codexes (codices?) to be a thing of the past within 2 years, and that the rules would be in the box for each model/unit, but there would still be a core ruleset which the in box rules would obviously add to. I've not bought any AoS releases (nor do I intend to) so I don't know if they have rules in the boxes (seems daft as when rules got FAQ'd (lol) or changed they'd need to repack ALL the boxes - seems even dafter that anything would actually bother with rules for AoS!!) or just online? I am going to leap to the conclusion that 40k probably WILL become more simplified like AoS, mainly because GW no longer see themselves as rules/games writers but just model sellers. How much more simplified I wouldn't hazard a guess at. Whatever they decide to do you can bet it's in the pipeline already, because myself and Harry were privately discussing the changes to WFB almost 3 years ago - I was told it was being canned and whilst we thought that was not the case and that AoS would be a continuation or refresh of it WFB HAS actually been canned and REPLACED by AoS, so these things are planned well ahead.

FW make huge sales from HH, there was no way that GW weren't going to want in on the action! I expect FW to still produce the big kits/characters/customising kits but GW will provide the bulk of the models needed to play 30k. We can only hope that GW let FW handle the 30k rules/books and they just make the models for it. But keep in mind I was told that when the 30k RANGE hits the stores (not the standalone box game but the actual range) it will take over the store space that used to be taken up by LotR/Hobbit, so GW may want to keep tight hold of the reigns even though they are no longer committed to producing games?

...Having thought about this I think the unit/model rules for 30k & 40k will be online/WD rather than actually inside the box kits (I may have misinterpreted what my source said).

Also I should point out that as I understand it 40k and 30k will be very different games/rulesets, so it may be that 40k becomes like AoS and 30k is handled by FW (although this is just wishful thinking on the behalf of hobbyists the world over!).

Of course I may be completely wrong...... because that happens a lot :)

Horus Heresy Boxed Game Summary

The Game is real, and is already into production.

Ship date is listed as Q4, November, to hit right at the height of the holiday shopping season.

Like "Execution Force" the initial boxed set is a fully standalone game, with no further purchases necessary.

Sprues shown so far confirm posable Mk. IV Maximus armor, marines (in sets of 10 per pair of sprues).

Sprues shown so far confirm 2 command figures with a Power Armor and Cataphractii Terminator models.

This boxed Game will serve as the introductory product to an entire Horus Heresy product line that will become GW's new "3rd Line", alongside Age of Sigmar and Warhammer 40,000.

An entire line of plastic kits is coming, that will appear on normal store shelves with Horus Heresy line badging (and 40k as well in some cases)

Ruleswise, the Horus Heresy will be a "40K light" ruleset sitting at the middleground between 40k and Age of Sigmar

Horus Heresy plastic kits will contain both 30K and 40K rules in the box.

Today's Horus Heresy Boxed Set Rumors

via Warseer's Apologist (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?412928-Horus-Heresy-Plastics-in-late-2015-Mk-II&p=7523593&viewfull=1#post7523593) 8-20-2015

"Can't remember where it was in the old thread (or possibly another forum), but I believe it's been rumoured that the box is themed around Phall, with Imperial Fists versus Iron Warriors.
I'll see if I can dig out a link to where I saw that.
It is noted that the forces are asymmetrical; themed around a boarding party and defenders."

Then Apologist links over to ...

Via DakkaDakka's Whisper of Truth (http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/780/637550.page#8027110)

... Also the contents rumours are slightly wrong. The forces aren't an exact mirror of one another. One force is a Pride of the Legion style force. Some might even call it a boarding party... The other is based off normal Tac. Marines.

As for the ship name, I don't think the game is based on this particular ship, but I'd go with the "Tribune." Or one of the other warships in that warzone anyway.

I'mageek writes:

"Imperial Fists, if it is set at Phall."

WhisperofTruth responds:
"Ding ding, we have a winner.

If I remember rightly the box has around 44 models. Including 3 Mk4 boxes, terminators, cataphracti and the two characters."

So to Summarize:

Horus Heresy Starter Box

- Imperial Fists vs Iron Warriors

- Battle of Phall

- Asymetrical sides

- "Boarding style" theme - (Battle of Phall was a major fleet action in deep space)

- 44 models

3 Mk IV "boxes" (sprues already seen)

Terminators

Cataphractii

Two Characters (sprues already seen)

via Faeit (http://natfka.blogspot.com/2015/08/the-horus-heresy-30k-game-coming-soon.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Faeit212+%28Faeit+212%29&utm_content=FeedBurner)8-21-2015

Plastic Horus Heresy Boxed Game Details

- Game similar to Space Hulk
- Released Around October
- Possibly Limited Run

via anonymous sources 8-26-2015

Horus Heresy: Battle for Ultramar

Miniatures Contents:

44 miniatures

Artificier Armor Centurion
Mk IV Maximus Marine Squad (x10)

Cataphractii Terminator Praetor
Cataphractii Terminator Squad (x5)
Cataphractii Terminator Squad (x5)

Contemptor Dreadnought
Unknown model (conflicting reports say a "counter to Contemptor", or simply a 2nd Contemptor)

Decal sheet for multiple legions, split evenly between Loyalist and Traitor Legions

Rumors come from known rumormonger and are rated: likely

via an anonymous Faeit source (http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/Faeit212/~3/srhNubfOCSU/betrayal-at-calth-hex-based-game-board.html) 8-30-2015

Horus Heresy Plastic Boxed Game

Game Title: "Betrayal at Calth"
Type: Boardgame - hex based board
Dice: D6s w/ custom symbols

via Warseer's Wintermute (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?412928-Horus-Heresy-Plastics-in-late-2015-Mk-II&p=7526089&viewfull=1#post7526089)

It is Ultramarines vs Word Bearers.

According to my sources: the rules are not 8th Ed and they haven't been Sigmared simplified. The major difference is that the 'read this first' sections and the reference cards have simple to follow tables. For example the BS rule instead of being the traditional 'BS3 =4+' style in fact has the BS as '4+'. All other rules are as per 7th edition which will also be in the box.

I can tell you there are no points values in the box its intended to be a stand alone game but it will teach the basics of 7th Ed.

(Editor's note - Regarding price of the game): I was hoping you wouldn't ask me that. What would you pay?

The HH Box will (hopefully) be available to buy at the 40k Open Day in October.

via Warseer's grissom2006 (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?412928-Horus-Heresy-Plastics-in-late-2015-Mk-II/page14)9-18-2015

Regarding the Plastic Horus Heresy Boxed Set:

Well according to my sources within GW the price tag floating around in here of it being £95 is wrong and it's going to be a three figure price tag. Not going to say the amount as it would be all to easily sourced back to my source. As for those after a release date start thinking about the end of October (expected preorders) start of November time (actual release).

...I'll expand slightly on the thinking behind why the pricing is likely to be in the realms of what i keep on hearing. The current think is that GW is looking at three gaming systems AOS being the first stage entry level gaming quick to pick up and play and complete with free rules. 40K more complex game to play and greater cost due to codices add ons etc.. Horus Hersey being the top end of the gaming spectrum and aimed at veterans/experienced gamers supposedly complete with even more complex rules.

Ohh and just to add into the mix there may not be just one set release but TWO!!

...I can see how one can think Marine on Marine will be simpler. But the formations the weapons the specialist rules that each chapter had could be become a lot more engaging and much bigger than that of the chapter tactics we currently have. We are talking about an era in which the Primarchs were in command not a set of chapter masters that we currently have. A marine is a remarkable creation but that could never achieve what the Primarchs could. There are units that operated weapons and other things all lost with the Hersey. The game is set while all that stuff is very much still there for use and hasn't become the stuff of legends and myths. So there is plenty of scope for it to be more complex even if the basic starting block isn't that gets supplied in the box which is meant to be PACKED to the GILLS.

Putting it all together:

via Warseer's Grissim2006 (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?412928-Horus-Heresy-Plastics-in-late-2015-Mk-II&p=7551483#post7551483) over the last couple of months

"I've actually heard they are going with a plastic Contemptor kit and heard it off multiple sources who've never once in 15+ yrs steered me wrong.

The think with starter box sets the plastics for the core games in them are never designed in line with how the rest of the plastic ranges go. They are designed to be simpler in the putting together because they are design as a hobby starter kit as such they make it as easy as possible to get a person up and running with the core basics supplied in the box. With HH they know at the end of the day they do not need not to this marketing ploy the other whelming majority of sales are going to be coming from experienced hobbiests.

Well according to my sources within GW the price tag floating around in here of it being £95 is wrong and it's going to be a three figure price tag.

I'll expand slightly on the thinking behind why the pricing is likely to be in the realms of what i keep on hearing. The current think is that GW is looking at three gaming systems AOS being the first stage entry level gaming quick to pick up and play and complete with free rules. 40K more complex game to play and greater cost due to codices add ons etc.. Horus Hersey being the top end of the gaming spectrum and aimed at veterans/experienced gamers supposedly complete with even more complex rules.

Ohh and just to add into the mix there may not be just one set release but TWO!!

I can see how one can think Marine on Marine will be simpler. But the formations the weapons the specialist rules that each chapter had could be become a lot more engaging and much bigger than that of the chapter tactics we currently have. We are talking about an era in which the Primarchs were in command not a set of chapter masters that we currently have. A marine is a remarkable creation but that could never achieve what the Primarchs could. There are units that operated weapons and other things all lost with the Hersey. The game is set while all that stuff is very much still there for use and hasn't become the stuff of legends and myths. So there is plenty of scope for it to be more complex even if the basic starting block isn't that gets supplied in the box which is meant to be PACKED to the GILLS.

Right guys you need to keep yourselves at the ready for dates the 7th and 14th of November ;)

As to the what you can expect i already hinted on that pages back that it wasn't planned at being a single box release or a stand alone release."

via Games Workshop 10-26-2015

https://youtu.be/f5p9AbpNJLk

http://www.belloflostsouls.net/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/horus-heresy-faction-icon.png

via Squiggly (https://disqus.com/by/disqus_9kDU0zOo6w/) (DISQUS) 2-25-2016

"HH range should kick off in the spring. April-May time. As you already know the Calth stuff will kickstart the range, with boxes labelled for 30k and 40k.
The plastic Mechanicum stuff was intended to work over as part of the core Heresy too.

So I suspect the Mechanicum stuff will get a repack alongside the Heresy releases, when they're released this spring. as the Mechanicum range. Rather than Cult Mech. and Skitarri. The Calth kits aren't exactly a "range" on there own."

"Basically the calth stuff will be released in boxes labelled for 30k and 40k. The HH range is a big thing, and a handful of kits is not a "big thing"

I know the Mechanicum models were intended to be Heresy models too. So I suspect they too will get repacked as 30k/40k models when the range is launched. Or soon after.

Yes the 40k Mechanicum stuff is all labelled all same, but it is split into two factions. They were intended to be one 40k faction and one 30k faction.

I hope that makes more sense."

via a very reliable source who spoke to BoLS on condition of anonymity: 3-7-2016

We have been hearing for several weeks now of the Sequel to Betrayal at Calth. One long, long term rumormonger with a fantastic record chimed in with these tidbits:

The sequel to Betrayal at Calth is real.
It is scheduled for SEPTEMBER 2016.
The kit itself is being manufactured as a stand alone game by GW proper, as the previous boxed games have been, but the exact sprue contents being Heresy relates are pretty much dictated by Forge World. This ensures they will fit in nice and neatly with existing and future planned Forge World Horus Heresy kits.
Games Workshop is very much committed to continuing to push and expand the Horus Heresy line into a bigger part of the business - one that is reported as ALREADY outselling Age of Sigmar!
The new kit will feature plastic sprues with Mark III armor.

Mr Mystery
02-12-2015, 04:52 PM
Set up seems to be the same - the codecies all lining up to the eve of the 13th Black Crusade.

Plus, 40k like Warhammer aren't so much ongoing plotlines, but backgrounds for us to tell our own stories in.

Warhammer in particular has included long deceased special characters for donkeys years. Examples are most of the Orc special characters. End Times aren't so much advancing the timeline, that would involved 'they're all deid, and ye cannae use them', but adding to the setting.

No reason 40k can't do the same.

Caldera02
02-12-2015, 04:52 PM
What with the whole End Times hulabaloo over in Fantasy land, there's been an understandable amount of speculation about the future of 40K - namely, will it be happening in our own Grim, Dark Future? I've been fairly skeptical, personally; Fantasy's collapse mirrors its collapse in the marketplace, and I figured 40K was stable enough to not require these sorts of cheap tricks to keep the boat afloat.

Well, maybe I was wrong.

Over on Warseer, Darnok had dropped an interesting hint about something that's coming in May, and top-tier rumor-monger Harry elaborated a little further (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?404464-Does-this-change-anyone-s-mind-about-armies-being-squated&p=7381170&viewfull=1#post7381170). It's difficult to separate from the context, so here's the whole thread mashed together:

Discuss, I say!

8th Edition! :P

Nick1080
02-12-2015, 05:47 PM
Could be interesting, hope they do it slightly differently than WFB though, at a slightly less break-neck pace.

Maybe an evolution of the current two faction box sets?

Book (or two), box set of a pair of factions, new units for each faction

Each book advances the story a bit for each army, has overarching interconnections between them, leading up to a great big finale as all the various schemes and ploys come to a head and rolls in the new edition

DrBored
02-12-2015, 06:20 PM
Having been to several FLGS's around the world (literally, Florida, California, and Japan) I can say that I think doing a 40k End Times would be silly from a business standpoint.

Whole shelves at these FLGS's are stocked with unmoving Thanquol and Nagash books and models. That's Inventory that isn't being sold, isn't generating as much revenue. Maybe I just have been to places that don't play as much Fantasy, but all of these giant Skaven and Chaos and Undead kits are really expensive, on top of the expensive books that keep coming out... It seems excessive.

From a business's perspective, that's not too encouraging, and I wouldn't want to extend the same treatment to 40k if those books and models don't move.

Defenestratus
02-12-2015, 09:09 PM
...They're finally going to release a Wraithknight conversion kit from FW.

Its going to drive people batty because its not the endless train of crappy Horus Heresy garbage that FW has been producing.

Thats just what I think :P

daboarder
02-12-2015, 09:36 PM
**** them,

there's no need for end times in 40k just so GW can write your units out of existence.

Go work within the 10,000 years of history between the HH and 13th black crusade, you know, like they HAVE been with the campaigns.

Come on GW use your brains, wheres the reign of blood, the age of apostasy and everything else that have been magor events in 40ks history first before you try and **** your IP to death

terminus
02-12-2015, 11:03 PM

Its going to drive people batty because its not the endless train of crappy Horus Heresy garbage that FW has been producing.

That "Horus Heresy garbage" is the only good thing in WH40K right now. So your thoughts on the matter are clearly foolish and irrelevant. I award you no points, and may god have mercy on your soul.

Cutter
02-13-2015, 02:22 AM

Well, maybe I was wrong.

Discuss, I say!

Well, we can't say they didn't warn us,

"THE TIME OF ENDING
++ Death serves the Emperor. ++
744.M41 - Present
As 744.M41 dawns, Taggarth, the Seer of Corrinto, proclaims the approach of the End Times. He prophesies a time of unprecedented upheaval, in which even the light of the Emperor is swallowed in darkness. Though Taggarth is swiftly executed for heresy, his message of doom echoes across the galaxy. These are the last days of the Imperium, but whether glorious apotheosis or eternal damnation awaits, none can say..."

...and it would explain why the Dark Eldar appeared to take the shaft over Lords of War.

End Times: Vect anyone?

- - - Updated - - -

8th Edition! :P

An 8th edition of 40k would by the logical stepping stone to WARHAMMER 9th Edition, melding Fantasy Battles and 40,000 into one glorious (w)hole.

But it would only last a month or two.

Backlash?

Rushing or dragging?

- - - Updated - - -

That "Horus Heresy garbage" is the only good thing in WH40K right now. So your thoughts on the matter are clearly foolish and irrelevant. I award you no points, and may god have mercy on your soul.

Burn the witch!

conscriptboris
02-13-2015, 04:10 AM
No no no no no!

Its fashionable now to skip an edition!!

So, next up is Warhammer 40k 9th edition! I called it! I think nothing else could possibly stir up the Nerd Rage in us more......

Elvis

Mr Mystery
02-13-2015, 05:07 AM
Yeah?

Well I heard from my sister's boyfriend's uncle's hamster's mother's owner's half-brother's biological father's uncle's niece that all of 40k is being scrapped and replaced with Blood Bowl, and there's going to be death squads sent out to wipe out those who continue to play.

Cutter
02-13-2015, 05:17 AM
Cold dead fingers etc etc etc.

Psychosplodge
02-13-2015, 05:17 AM
Yeah?

Well I heard from my sister's boyfriend's uncle's hamster's mother's owner's half-brother's biological father's uncle's niece that all of 40k is being scrapped and replaced with Blood Bowl, and there's going to be death squads sent out to wipe out those who continue to play.

You know Jim?

Mr Mystery
02-13-2015, 05:19 AM
No, but I know Jimmy.

Psychosplodge
02-13-2015, 05:26 AM
With the commissars cap and WWII bomber jacket?

Mr Mystery
02-13-2015, 05:45 AM
No.

Jimothy - Bertha's Beau.

You know, the one with the gammy eye and pegleg? Jimothy. You must know him.

Psychosplodge
02-13-2015, 05:54 AM
Jimothy? Not the one with three legged dog that wears a scarf?

Mr Mystery
02-13-2015, 05:59 AM
That's the one.

Got into trouble for the Turtle Incident. You know, the one we're not meant to discuss for legal reasons?

Psychosplodge
02-13-2015, 06:43 AM
Shhh yoo may already have said too much.

eldargal
02-13-2015, 07:02 AM
I don't know, I thought the whole thing was 40k was already in the End Times and they did WFB End Times to try and boost sales by shaking everything up. Seems odd you would mess with the goose that lays the golden omelette facilitation ovoids by radically messing with the setting.

Mr Mystery
02-13-2015, 07:05 AM
Adding to it could be fun.

Though I would be equally happy with chunky background heavy book sets about historical periods, like the Age of Apostasy and that. Simple truth is, 40k has a deeper background history than Warhammer. Make uses of it.

Just don't mention the turtle incident.

Psychosplodge
02-13-2015, 07:17 AM
But all the way down?

Mr Mystery
02-13-2015, 07:25 AM
Shhhhhhhhh! I told you not to mention it

StraightSilver
02-13-2015, 07:51 AM
According to Warseer (Harry and Darnok) it isn't "End Times" but something that may send similar shock waves across the majority of 40K players.

All Marine kits will allegedly (hard to believe myself) be replaced with a new armour variant - MkIX which is allegedly easier to copyright.

After Chapterhouse and Spots the Space Marine GW have realised their iconic Space Marines are not that protectable so marines will get a radical new design.

No clue as to what that actually means but apparently "blue marines" are getting the treatment first - so Ultras then.

However the rumour claims "all" Marines will get the overhaul treatment.

As I say I am hugely skeptical - we've just had 2 new Tactical Marine kits - BAs and Vanilla as well as lots of other new kits.

I can understand a new armour mark, but not all other marks being phased out but I wouldn't put it past GW to do this as they really are rabid about their IP protection.

Psychosplodge
02-13-2015, 08:00 AM
Taken from encounters with the Tau, and given anime styling? If they go too far they're going to be stepping too far away from a space marine. unless they go back towards mk VI? they're probably the most iconic variant? It makes sense in a way, but then again at the same time they're churning out FW marine kits in "older" variants and the new "current" mks. as well like you said

Mr Mystery
02-13-2015, 08:00 AM
Well, Spots was likely spun off from the CH case, just to see if they could nab a stronger IP claim to the rather generic Space Marine monicker.

As for the MK9? Possible. I guess. But it seems really soon after the final oucome for new kits to be coming out? Just idle speculation, I have no idea how fast GW can get something from first concept sketch to produced sprues!

Psychosplodge
02-13-2015, 08:04 AM
It would seem anti-fluff to roll it out to the smurfs - the legions/first founding chapters having greatest access to older kit.
Now a new chapter (cause obviously we need more... :D)

Defenestratus
02-13-2015, 08:50 AM
I think that if this move to new armor types is real, you'd be seeing it already happen in the FW line up of the worthless HH crap. Afterall, that stuff also has to be copyrightable.

Dotbackslash
02-13-2015, 08:54 AM
Well they have just released fluff for that "new chapter" something suns isn't it? So i guess them magically finding a crazy forge world full of crazy new and totally copyrightable STC templates for armour isn't that far away from what was mentioned....

Erik Setzer
02-13-2015, 08:59 AM
Yeah, I'm thinking "40K End Times" isn't likely to happen. At least, not like WFB.

WFB needed a big shake-up. So they're going to do a new edition, but before that, we're getting a bunch of new rules, combined armies, and big expensive models.

Well, 40K has a bunch of new armies, the game allows combined armies with allies or Unbound, there's plenty of big expensive models coming out, there's new ways to play the game (Planetstrike, Cities of Death, Death from the Skies, Cryostorm, Kill Team, etc.)... So on the "shake up the gameplay and make a bunch of expensive models" front, they have that covered.

The other big thing with End Times is shaking up the world in big ways. Basically, trashing two Elf nations and smashing all the Elves together again; wiping out multiple human empires and kingdoms; destroying the lands of the Lizardmen, the Ogres, and the Dwarfs, while nearly wipes them out as races... That's groundwork for changing the Warhammer world to not be a modified Earth with fantasy tropes that they can't copyright.

Why would you do any of that in 40K? How would you even do it? Who get snuffed out? What's the end goal of trashing things so much? Do they really need to change up 40K that much? Has it started selling poorly? Do they think destroying whole armies will help? Do they think it's too much like the Milky Way? Are Space Elves on the way out? How would any of that make sense?

I don't think it's 40K "End Times." We've pretty much been in the 40K "End Times" for years now. It works as a setting because it's in a state of "minutes to midnight."

Plenty of other stuff could shake up the game, though.

Erik Setzer
02-13-2015, 09:10 AM
I can understand a new armour mark, but not all other marks being phased out but I wouldn't put it past GW to do this as they really are rabid about their IP protection.

New size bases were bad enough. Change the looks of their best-selling army from what it's been for 25 years or so? If they're doing that, then something weird is going on with the company. That's a desperation move. That's not something a sane company or one in good shape does. You're risking alienating the people who play your most popular army, pissing off the largest part of your customer base, and for what? You're still making power armoured super soldiers, which is still not something you can copyright. I guess it'll make all those add-ons from CH and others useless, so they'll think, "Yeah, we pissed off most of our customers, but we really stuck it to those minor guys on the side who sell products that require people to buy our products first!"

40kGamer
02-13-2015, 09:17 AM
New size bases were bad enough. Change the looks of their best-selling army from what it's been for 25 years or so? If they're doing that, then something weird is going on with the company. That's a desperation move. That's not something a sane company or one in good shape does. You're risking alienating the people who play your most popular army, pissing off the largest part of your customer base, and for what? You're still making power armoured super soldiers, which is still not something you can copyright. I guess it'll make all those add-ons from CH and others useless, so they'll think, "Yeah, we pissed off most of our customers, but we really stuck it to those minor guys on the side who sell products that require people to buy our products first!"

This is why I don't see GW ever doing fluff sized marines. They really can't risk a massive change to their flagship army in their flagship product line.

eldargal
02-13-2015, 09:30 AM
I can see there being a new MK of armour, that's a kit that would sell. Replacing older ones including the tactical kit that was completely redone after fifteen years or so recently? No.

Asymmetrical Xeno
02-13-2015, 09:32 AM
I'm pretty happy with 40k lately if I'm being honest, I mean I do have my criticisms like anyone else but they have been starting to do the sort of stuff I've wanted them to do for years now with Knights, Tempestus and Harlequins AKA new armies (albeit mini ones) I'd love to see some new xenos (as long as they didn't have legs) though.

A new SM armour mark is a strange rumour but an interesting one even if it is a load of Polux (thanks MrMystery) - if a new STC got discovered for a previously unseen armour mark and the mechanicum staerting to manufacture it en-masse and rolling it out to the existing or newer chapters - that could be very appealing and something that could also sell a lot, but I doubt they would do it as a "replacement" of the existing kits, especially since the SM and BA ones are so recent.

odinsgrandson
02-13-2015, 09:41 AM
"Fluff sized marines" are a pretty crazy variety of sizes. I started a thread over on Dakka (http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/634292.page) where I collected references for Marines sizes, and they varied a lot.

The lowest number GW officially gave was a little under 6'10" for a marine height. Other sources got them as tall as nine feet, and the average size officially given was 7' tall.

Honestly, I tend to think of the miniatures themselves as a source of fluff, so I side with some of the shorter marines.

But the "True Scale" projects often end up with some really cool looking minis, so I say more power to you.

- Back on topic-

I think that 40k won't see a huge shakeup that ends the universe anytime soon because it isn't doing as poorly (sales-wise) as WFB.

However, I do think that there's room for the fluff to move forward. I played in a few of GW's summer campaigns, and I was always disappointed that they didn't change the fluff. Especially the 13th Black Crusade basically ended with everything the way it had started (when Chaos had clearly won on nearly every front, and should at least have expanded their influence).

After that, I'd really love to see some events that move things forward and change some of the way that the fluff is happening. Maybe a few important characters could be killed off, or we could actually find out what happens when the Golden Throne gets turned off.

40kGamer
02-13-2015, 10:11 AM
"Fluff sized marines" are a pretty crazy variety of sizes. I started a thread over on Dakka (http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/634292.page) where I collected references for Marines sizes, and they varied a lot.

The lowest number GW officially gave was a little under 6'10" for a marine height. Other sources got them as tall as nine feet, and the average size officially given was 7' tall.

Honestly, I tend to think of the miniatures themselves as a source of fluff, so I side with some of the shorter marines.

But the "True Scale" projects often end up with some really cool looking minis, so I say more power to you.

Marine size references change dramatically based on the source but I can't recall anywhere in the fluff where marines are physically smaller than guardsman. I settled on 8 feet for Space Wolves and made the assumption that 28mm represented a height of 6 feet putting armoured marines at 40mm. Bulking out the armour to get rid of the super model thighs was just a happy bonus and the fact that unaltered heads and weapons look fine on models that are upscaled by 40% speaks volumes too. :)

DrBored
02-13-2015, 11:28 AM
I can see there being a new MK of armour, that's a kit that would sell. Replacing older ones including the tactical kit that was completely redone after fifteen years or so recently? No.

Agreed.

Most likely, unless the new mark is a whole new unit that is bigger, fits on the new bases (which I doubt for other reasons) and does something totally different on the battlefield (which, really, what could it, since Space Marines have so many units), the new mark will simply...

be snuck into another box's update. Devastators are the only basic Space Marine infantry box that hasn't been updated that comes to mind, so I could see them sneaking it into there.

Now, the main reason they won't put Space Marines on the bigger base is simply because the size conventions wouldn't work. Putting models on bigger bases means they take up more room, which means people have less room in their bags, boxes, and shelves to store them, which means people will buy less. You don't want people buying less of the BASIC TROOP. Bigger bases are meant to be for specialized units, or units that come in smaller numbers, even if they're only a little bigger.

So no, they're not invalidating current Space Marine models, they'll just throw a new design of armor into some box, or make a captain model with it (probably with a plasma pistol and power fist).

Erik Setzer
02-13-2015, 12:43 PM
Now, the main reason they won't put Space Marines on the bigger base is simply because the size conventions wouldn't work. Putting models on bigger bases means they take up more room, which means people have less room in their bags, boxes, and shelves to store them, which means people will buy less. You don't want people buying less of the BASIC TROOP. Bigger bases are meant to be for specialized units, or units that come in smaller numbers, even if they're only a little bigger.

Except the first unit box to receive them was actually a Blood Angels TACTICAL Squad. And given the move of Death Company to Elites, leaving just Tactical Squads and Scouts as BA Troops choices, they are back to being the basic troops for Blood Angels. And they're on larger bases. So... yeah.

(Which also makes them look silly when in the middle of elite units all around with smaller bases.

Aldavaer
02-13-2015, 01:26 PM
Just to add to the speculation frenzy by adding two and two to make 5.

Maybe they are going to take a leaf out of the Battletech books. The two missing pre-heresy legions are going to return, having stayed with science equipped with a new mark of armour and new vehicles to overthrow the corrupt imperium and set mankind on its golden path. This new chapter the Dark Hunters are secretly the forerunners of the 2 legions on a scouting mission.

Horncastle
02-13-2015, 02:50 PM

Maybe they are going to take a leaf out of the Battletech books. The two missing pre-heresy legions are going to return, having stayed with science equipped with a new mark of armour and new vehicles to overthrow the corrupt imperium and set mankind on its golden path. This new chapter the Dark Hunters are secretly the forerunners of the 2 legions on a scouting mission.

Like Wolf's Dragoons.

Aldavaer
02-13-2015, 03:05 PM
Like Wolf's Dragoons.

That was my thought.

Arkhan Land
02-13-2015, 03:05 PM
If we see the 40k and WFB universes crossing over via the bubbles theory, why wouldit stop there
maybe this new marine mark is something else entirely

GW/FW has great success with the 40k world set in an alternate timeline
maybe the next step is to take a peak at the future of the warhammer world

If the war rages on in 50k what would stop those unvierse bubbles from being accesible like those of the distant future-past?

daboarder
02-13-2015, 08:07 PM
Its a bit irksome when people go on about "fluff" size marines.

when the 4th ed marine codex was rolled out and they still did the designers notes in white dwarf, jes goodwin made the specific point that the marine range is in scale to what they are meant to be. It is the ranges like IG (which is why later IG models are shorter than the cadian/catachan basic infantry) and the Tyranid gants....etc that are the out of scale minatures

40kGamer
02-13-2015, 10:35 PM
Its a bit irksome when people go on about "fluff" size marines.

when the 4th ed marine codex was rolled out and they still did the designers notes in white dwarf, jes goodwin made the specific point that the marine range is in scale to what they are meant to be. It is the ranges like IG (which is why later IG models are shorter than the cadian/catachan basic infantry) and the Tyranid gants....etc that are the out of scale minatures

That was the word on the street but does it make any difference whether the entire 40k range outside of Marines is too big or that the Marines are just too small.

daboarder
02-13-2015, 11:04 PM
well the eldar would be in scale given that they were also done by Jes

Psyfer
02-14-2015, 05:58 AM
From memory it was the Catachan 'we're all RAMBO!!!' Jungle Fighters that caused the issue. The Cadians are about right from what I recall.

Also, the only time I've seen anything vaguely official regarding Space Marine heights is in Black Crusade and Deathwatch, which has a Space Marine's average hight as 6 foot/180cm, about 5 cm taller then currant human male average (5'8"/175cm). Personally, I see Space Marines being built like pro wrestlers, averaging between 6'3"/187.5cm and 6'5"/202.5cm with outliers as tall as 7'5"/222.5cm and as short as 5'8"/175cm.

Mr Mystery
02-14-2015, 06:01 AM
Fully armoured Space Marine, including backpack is a smidge over 7' tall.

How can I be so emphatic?

http://www.games-workshop.com/resources/touts/2015-01-30/Homepage/Header_carousel/SpaceMarinePromoENG_Slot2.jpg

Based on the 'to scale' drawing done by Jes 'look, I pretty much not only invented but designed them, how can you possibly know better than I' Goodwin.

7'. End of. :p

Psyfer
02-14-2015, 06:02 AM
Sounds about right. The measurements I was referring to were sans armour.

40kGamer
02-14-2015, 12:58 PM
I think the disconnect harkens back to the RT era. Initially marines were just augmented humans and were essentially human height. There were no novels and almost no fluff to speak of. At some point fluff marines became "10 feet tall and bulletproof" to quote an old tune. Different authors wrote them up in various ways with references from dwarfing a normal human to a Ciaphas Cain story where he described riding in the marine transport as being like a child in the adults chair. The 7 foot tall thing is the first definitive reference I believe GW has ever actually made. If guardsman are 6ft then at 28mm scale marines should measure in at 33mm... (If guardsman actually measure in at 28mm which many of the lines do not.) With marines being 'the' big seller the model line is basically locked into the proportions from RT and 2nd with little change over the years.

Clockwork
02-15-2015, 12:24 AM
That was the word on the street but does it make any difference whether the entire 40k range outside of Marines is too big or that the Marines are just too small.

Sisters are the right size being shorter and thinner than Marines. Add the base change and that makes it work even more.

Also from looking at the Necron codex those guys would easily be in excess of 6' tall with long, lanky limbs.

Fully armoured Space Marine, including backpack is a smidge over 7' tall.

How can I be so emphatic?

http://www.games-workshop.com/resources/touts/2015-01-30/Homepage/Header_carousel/SpaceMarinePromoENG_Slot2.jpg

Based on the 'to scale' drawing done by Jes 'look, I pretty much not only invented but designed them, how can you possibly know better than I' Goodwin.

7'. End of. :p

He'd be a bit over 7' if he wasn't riding an invisible pony. :P

Mr Mystery
02-15-2015, 03:44 AM
DAMN YOUR FACTUAL OBSERVATION!!!!!

I mean...erm....good spot dude!

HsojVvad
02-15-2015, 11:22 AM

Oh that is so good. I love it. I might just have to start a new army just from this. Yes I know using the missing Primarchs for your own chapter is a no-no, but this sounds just sooooo good.

Know I have a vision of a Vulture sitting on the Horizon watching.

So what can we see in May? First guess was 8th edition as was mentioned. But what would get people upset? I am sure a new edition will upset us like 7th edition did but not make us rage as we are expecting it. But what about a new edition like from RT to 2nd edition or 2nd edition to 3rd edition? Now that would make a lot of people blow a gasket. Not just squatting an army or so, but invalidating EVERYONES army and having to buy all over again if you want to keep playing up to date.

I don't think it's a new edition or at the very least an edition change like 2nd to 3rd. If it's not a new edition I can't really see what the big deal would be. After all Space Marines getting a new Mark IX armour is not a big deal. It was done before and nobody freaked out.

I can't really see what GW can do that would make people freak out or nerd rage. Then again, didn't Harry say "like we are having fun in Fantasy." Wouldn't that mean it was a good thing and something to enjoy instead of being upset at?

Venomlust
02-15-2015, 12:53 PM
Yes I know using the missing Primarchs for your own chapter is a no-no...

Only a serious neckbeard would have an objection to that. I'd prefer seeing your creativity unfold on the tabletop over just another White Scars/Iron Hands force. Or, gods forbid, Ultramarines.

I don't really buy what these rumor-mongers are selling, but a new edition seems super unlikely to me. Anything that jeopardizes the Imperium in a serious way seems doubtful.

Cap'nSmurfs
02-15-2015, 01:22 PM
I thought it was implicit that two Primarchs/Legions were left unknown specifically so you could invent your own stuff.

Mr Mystery
02-15-2015, 01:39 PM
Yup, as confirmed at the first Weekender.

Could have changed of course!

I'm hoping The Emperor returns, because that would be Cook. And Abaddon would get such a fisting!

-Tom-
02-15-2015, 11:26 PM
Yup, as confirmed at the first Weekender.

Could have changed of course!

I'm hoping The Emperor returns, because that would be Cook. And Abaddon would get such a fisting!

The Emperor? Pffft... Has been! He's so 10,000 years ago.

These days, it's all about Ynnead.

;D

40kGamer
02-16-2015, 09:54 AM
The Emperor? Pffft... Has been! He's so 10,000 years ago.

These days, it's all about Ynnead.

;D

Just think how refreshed Emp's will be after such a long napper. :p

Lexington
02-16-2015, 09:56 AM
Welp, I feel bad for starting this whole brouhaha, since it's looking increasingly likely to have just been panic-driven speculation on my part. Uh, apologies?

Anyway, in case you've missed it, looks like the Big May Release is looking like it'll be...*drumroll*...plastic Horus Heresy releases from GW proper. Crazy stuff. First, you have the ever-reliable Hastings tossing out hints (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?405659-Plastic-(GW-produced)-Warhamer-30K), then Tzen over at B&C (who I can vouch for personally) giving a peek (http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/303526-tentative-release-schedule/) at some tips he received recently. Tzen's post is a bit more comprehensive:

Please take this information with a huge wad of salt. I was really tempted not to post this at all, because a lot of the time rumours are just so wrong its laughable.

I was sent this information over several e-mails and this is the best I can do to put the releases into some chronological order. It could be very wrong.

Here's some bits of info:

- There's mark 9 power armored marines on the way.

- Sister of battle are shortly after summer, just after WFB 9th ed.

- Horus Heresy is about to become very big, with Games Workshop building on the success of Forge Worlds game. This includes new plastic kits for Warhammer 30,000.

Current release schedule to my knowledge looks some thing like this:

Harlequins.
Archaon End times - Bloodthirster and Khorne Chaos Warrior kits.

Khorne Chaos space marine supplement.

Adeptus Mechanicus.

30K box set during the "red week" in May - This is a period of time staff members cannot take time off from the shops.

Some follow up releases to support the new rules set for 30k.

Then WFB 9th rules.

Horus Heresy releases

Mark 9 Power armoured marines.

WFB Releases for the Empire and Chaos - This includes the starter kit for WFB 9th ed.

Sister of Battle (Actually a codex: Ecclesiarchy, but not called that).

This is by my own admission just guess work based on what I have been e-mailed. I don't know if the order is correct or not. Or even if it is complete crap. I just thought it would be nice to share. This is an experiment, I don't normally post anything without visible proof.

Have fun speculating, kids.

Mr Mystery
02-16-2015, 10:00 AM
I think I just pooped out my Kidneys in pure excite!

Pass the stick, Jeeves!

And props to Tzen for freely saying 'I have sources, but they may be pulling my leg'

Defenestratus
02-16-2015, 10:01 AM
Ugh.

Well.. if they decide to go space marine on space marine action then I'm checking out. I can't stand the wankfest that is 30k and its monochromatic setting.

That cow has been milked to dust.

Mr Mystery
02-16-2015, 10:14 AM
Guess you've not had the pleasure of exploring the Heresy books from Forgeworld?

Missions and sub rules in that are really, really good fun, and easily adapted to other races.

40kGamer
02-16-2015, 10:17 AM
Ugh.

Well.. if they decide to go space marine on space marine action then I'm checking out. I can't stand the wankfest that is 30k and its monochromatic setting.

That cow has been milked to dust.

Nah there's some milk left. A lot of us are not fans of full resin for 'playable' armies. They make great collector pieces but for the most part they're pure crap on the tabletop. Plus a full plastic series of MkII and up marine armour would sell like hotcakes. What space marine hobby type wouldn't want a way to reliably mix in all the various Marks into their force... and maybe if it really does go mainstream Forgeworld can get back to offering specialty and collector figs.

- - - Updated - - -

Guess you've not had the pleasure of exploring the Heresy books from Forgeworld?

Missions and sub rules in that are really, really good fun, and easily adapted to other races.

I've been waiting for them to actually sell them in the states. The local GW manager keeps saying FW products are coming. Although given the number of months that have passed since his first remarks methinks he's no Paul Revere.

Mr Mystery
02-16-2015, 10:29 AM
Interesting point there about taking the onus off of Forgeworld.

We know they are certainly capable of plasticificating existing Forgeworld kits - Piranha and Valkyrie are testement to that.

Heresy is possibly overwhelming Forgeworld in terms of output - quite simply, the more they produce, the more they sell, and with resin casting methods compared to injection moulded plastic, that's not enough. The material (whilst nice to work with and suitable fo rminiatures) is preventing them properly milking that revenue stream (remember folks, they're a business!) Start shifting some of the more model numerous units to plastic, and you free up Forgeworld's casting resources for the bigger, possibly* more profitable kits

*Spot the speculation!

40kGamer
02-16-2015, 10:43 AM

We know they are certainly capable of plasticificating existing Forgeworld kits - Piranha and Valkyrie are testement to that.

Heresy is possibly overwhelming Forgeworld in terms of output - quite simply, the more they produce, the more they sell, and with resin casting methods compared to injection moulded plastic, that's not enough. The material (whilst nice to work with and suitable fo rminiatures) is preventing them properly milking that revenue stream (remember folks, they're a business!) Start shifting some of the more model numerous units to plastic, and you free up Forgeworld's casting resources for the bigger, possibly* more profitable kits

*Spot the speculation!

Absolutely. There's no reason to have one product consume all of FW's production capacity for the foreseeable future. Much better to transition those products to the mainstream kits and let FW get back to exploring the more esoteric parts of the game universe. :)

Defenestratus
02-16-2015, 10:49 AM

<nm thought you were talking of the black library crap> Yes I've had to opportunity to look through the FW rule books. They're nice. But they're still just full of marines. I find marines pretty boring.

Like I said, its way too monochromatic especially when considering all that the rest of the galaxy has to offer.

- - - Updated - - -

Absolutely. There's no reason to have one product consume all of FW's production capacity for the foreseeable future. Much better to transition those products to the mainstream kits and let FW get back to exploring the more esoteric parts of the game universe. :)

Back when they started the HH crap, they said "oh don't worry its not going to slow us down on our existing projects!"

Yeah that lasted about... 3 minutes. I think I can count the number of non-imperial FW releases on a single hand since the advent of Horus Heresy. Its infuriating to us collectors who would rather have new cool stuff for Orks, Necrons, and Eldar than just the 8th boring dreadnought variant.

Asymmetrical Xeno
02-16-2015, 10:50 AM

*Spot the speculation!

That's a very good point and I am inclined to agree with you. It may be that FW has got to the point where the HH is too popular for them to keep up with, with their production methods, so it does make sense to do some kits via GW proper - perhaps GW will just do the "core" generic kits (tactical marines, rhino, landraider and terminators) and leave the more specific stuff to FW. It would make the HH a lot more accessible and more affordable as a a10-guy FW tactical squad with basic bolters comes to £78, so plastic ones that knock that down to £25-ish is gonna make it a lot more accessible assuming that is what they do of course. I'm not sure i could say no to plastic cataphracti terminators either.

But they're still just full of marines. I find marines pretty boring.

Well if you want all-aliens all the time, you can always wait for my game :P Allthough the quality is nowhere near GW standard (I'm no Jes Goodwin...yet!)

Mr Mystery
02-16-2015, 11:21 AM
Indeed.

Various Mks of armour, Jump Packs and Termies can be done in plastic, leaving the wafty bits like specific pads, bolsters and other weapons to FW. Cost effective for all three parties. FW free up production capability, the core kits will sell well enough in plastic, and we consumers get cheaper and freer access to the basics.

Erik Setzer
02-16-2015, 11:28 AM
Well, if it's true, I'll be happy. I can see it being true, too, and it seems like about the right timetable, given that once they realized "we're gonna need a bigger boat," they'd have to put things in motion.

I'm hoping the prices are more in line with 40K prices. My friends want me to do 30K, but all that resin and the expense push me away, as well as not being readily available in GW stores, which means any 30K sales won't help keep the local GW store open. Make plastic kits, sell them in the stores, and I'll be jumping on that train in no time.

It also could lead to making sure 30K and 40K armies aren't too far apart in terms of power. That'd require redoing the 30K army lists, so probably not... but one could hope.

When you have a super-popular line, it only makes sense to switch it over to a production process that can hit more capacity, with cheaper material that can be sold at a lower price point to help boost sales while maintaining nice profitability. (If they keep the prices up at Forge World resin prices, though, it'd be fair to ream them for being not just greedy but stupid as well.)

- - - Updated - - -

And heck, Forgeworld was supposed to be producing stuff to supplement the core games, it wasn't meant to end up making a core game of its own. I can't imagine how much of a PITA that is. (Or why so many of the FW kits were made FW to begin with... the Knight line in particular is upsetting, as Knights are pretty popular, and introduced with a plastic kit, but if you want anything outside of the very basic kit, you have to get an even more expensive giant resin FW kit.)

Bigred
02-16-2015, 12:33 PM
via Harry and others (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?405659-Plastic-(GW-produced)-Warhamer-30K) at Warseer 2-16-2015

The implication is we're going to see a GW-produced plastic Horus Heresy starter box/boxed game.

More Horus Heresy stuff? How dull. They've already done that.

Oh no they haven't

Think outside the box a little.......... or maybe inside the box

Originally Posted by BasetheRuin
As in think inside the brand new 30k starter box?

I'll have to start saving money then!

:)

Hastings later suggested it might broaden over time to include more than just marines vs. marines.

Personally I don't think there's any version of a 30K game that could get me particularly excited, given my assumption that it would focus on the good marines/bad marines bust up and not all the other interesting stuff the Galaxy has to offer...

well maybe not initially

Kirsten
02-16-2015, 12:44 PM
plastic 30k?

DrLove42
02-16-2015, 12:52 PM
Am i the only one who is actually not liking the sound of this?

I feel the series has only gone as well as it has becuase FW have been doing it? The higher design quality in the books has been great. Diluting that with GW plastics is a big risk

Kirsten
02-16-2015, 01:00 PM
plastic models wont affect the quality, and there is no reason to assume the Forge World books will stop though. 30k is massive, it would be a huge sales boost for GW.

The Imperial Fist
02-16-2015, 01:01 PM
Welp, I feel bad for starting this whole brouhaha, since it's looking increasingly likely to have just been panic-driven speculation on my part. Uh, apologies?

Anyway, in case you've missed it, looks like the Big May Release is looking like it'll be...*drumroll*...plastic Horus Heresy releases from GW proper. Crazy stuff. First, you have the ever-reliable Hastings tossing out hints (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?405659-Plastic-(GW-produced)-Warhamer-30K), then Tzen over at B&C (who I can vouch for personally) giving a peek (http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/303526-tentative-release-schedule/) at some tips he received recently. Tzen's post is a bit more comprehensive:

Have fun speculating, kids.

Sorry, I'm calling BS on this. Having been at the Weekender where they specifically said HH will not be going to mainstream GW or plastic anytime soon, it's not going to happen.

There ARE HH releases in May, at the Warhammer World opening, which will include the Book V - Tempest (Calth), probably the Viper fighter thing, and maybe Girlyman if he is fiinished in time (they weren't sure, they didn't even have a finished mock up to bring to Weekender as in previous years).

They were also asked about FW being ordered through GW stores, they said not yet, too many issues with ramping up production without comprimising quality. There will however be dedicated FW and BL shops inside WHW. The WHW world staff that were there selling tickets said the main store may be rebranded Warhammer. The model gallery will also now be pay to enter.

Erik Setzer
02-16-2015, 01:10 PM
The demand for FW products, if available through normal GW venues, would be so much that they'd need to mass-produce stuff.

You just gave a huge reason why they might do such a thing.

They've said plenty of things in the past that didn't turn out to be true, because they didn't want to spill the beans early.

Kirsten
02-16-2015, 01:12 PM
there have been rumours of closer ties between GW and FW. I could well imagine generic plastic armour marks, command bits etc. with forge world still providing the upgrade kits, characters and so on.

The Imperial Fist
02-16-2015, 01:16 PM
The demand for FW products, if available through normal GW venues, would be so much that they'd need to mass-produce stuff.

You just gave a huge reason why they might do such a thing.

They've said plenty of things in the past that didn't turn out to be true, because they didn't want to spill the beans early.

Actually at the Weekenders they've always been very open. They also take a lot of what the people who go there say under their belt - after all, the people willing to shell out on the Belfry for a weekend and spend hundreds if not more while there are their target audience. Tony asks quite often what people want to see next out of certain options and often says "ok, we'll do that next". They even caved in at this years one and said they'd now make Prospero book 7 due to the amount of outcry for it. When they've not wanted to talk about plans, they've always said "we can't talk about that yet". The BL and FW guys are a lot more relaxed than GW proper. Hell, at the weekender they were using non GW glues and recommending non GW paints until the FW airbrush range gets names and packaging finalised.

DrBored
02-16-2015, 02:11 PM
Actually at the Weekenders they've always been very open. They also take a lot of what the people who go there say under their belt - after all, the people willing to shell out on the Belfry for a weekend and spend hundreds if not more while there are their target audience. Tony asks quite often what people want to see next out of certain options and often says "ok, we'll do that next". They even caved in at this years one and said they'd now make Prospero book 7 due to the amount of outcry for it. When they've not wanted to talk about plans, they've always said "we can't talk about that yet". The BL and FW guys are a lot more relaxed than GW proper. Hell, at the weekender they were using non GW glues and recommending non GW paints until the FW airbrush range gets names and packaging finalised.

This gives me hope. The fact that Forgeworld is growing and GW is shrinking should be a hint that.. maybe.. just maybe.. Forgeworld is doing it right.

Hopefully FW's openness will rub off on GW a little

Erik Setzer
02-16-2015, 02:39 PM
The BL and FW guys are a lot more relaxed than GW proper.

But they're still employees of Games Workshop, and if Games Workshop is going to start producing a line and don't want them talking about it and want them to officially deny it, they will deny it. Heck, they might not even know about it. This is a company that won't tell their own retail managers what they'll be getting in as new releases, which leaves them unable to hype up stuff that's coming down the ladder or create sales plans.

- - - Updated - - -

there have been rumours of closer ties between GW and FW. I could well imagine generic plastic armour marks, command bits etc. with forge world still providing the upgrade kits, characters and so on.

That makes the most sense. It was really the way Forge World started, too... but that was also back in the days GW openly said they were a games company and had sales and special deals and White Dwarf was pretty thick for $5. Which wasn't even that long ago, but feels like an eternity.

Popsical
02-16-2015, 02:47 PM
This makes a lot of good business sense. So GW probably wont do it.
When they come to the Ascended demon primarch models, they will be the same guys in the 40k universe so a cross over is inevitable.
FW producing bog standard maureens is just stupid as they arent exactly detailed models.
It would allow FW to maybe make more alien stuff as well as the plethora of other hh characters that are sure to come.

Hmm, no GW wont do it, they arent that bright.

Renegade
02-16-2015, 06:16 PM
If GW do 30K, they will probably do pre-Heresy 30K and let FW carry the Heresy (or most of it) which kinds of lets them off putting the clock forward in 40K.

Orks get GC in the 30K universe in the form of huge great emperor sized Orks.

Big_jon
02-16-2015, 06:17 PM

Horus heresy is the best thing about 40k right now, it's tons more flavored and balanced than anything GW is putting out. It's the only thing that has managed to keep me even remotely interested in this hobby for the last year or two.

DrBored
02-16-2015, 06:25 PM
Horus heresy is the best thing about 40k right now, it's tons more flavored and balanced than anything GW is putting out. It's the only thing that has managed to keep me even remotely interested in this hobby for the last year or two.

It's Space Marines vs. Space Marines. I'm all for Chaos, but at this point in the Horus Heresy it still feels too much like Space Marines with Spiky Bits vs. Space Marines.

Tau, Eldar, Necron, Orks, Tyranids, and Dark Eldar don't feature, and they are, honestly, what bring more flavor to the Warhammer universe because they're different styles of combat, different styles of model, different pieces of art.

When I see a 30k game, it's Red Space Marines vs. Blue Space Marines, or Yellow vs. White, or Purple vs. Green or what have you. It's not interesting to see. As solid of a game as it is, I refute the idea that 30k is 'tons more flavored' than anything else GW has put out.

And on that point, if GW really has to make a 30k kit to stay in business, we may as well say goodbye to any hope of getting solid, consistent support for xenos. I wouldn't be surprised if this brought in supplements for all of the different chapters of Loyal space marines while the Chaos legions just get one book to cover all 9 (again), and extra months in between xenos releases to fit in all of the extra exclusive Imperial Fist or Dark Angel or Ultramarine releases we'll see if this rumor is true.

It would doom 40k to become exactly what 30k is: Space Marines vs. Space Marines.

ctuttle
02-16-2015, 08:15 PM
It's Space Marines vs. Space Marines. I'm all for Chaos, but at this point in the Horus Heresy it still feels too much like Space Marines with Spiky Bits vs. Space Marines.

Tau, Eldar, Necron, Orks, Tyranids, and Dark Eldar don't feature, and they are, honestly, what bring more flavor to the Warhammer universe because they're different styles of combat, different styles of model, different pieces of art.

When I see a 30k game, it's Red Space Marines vs. Blue Space Marines, or Yellow vs. White, or Purple vs. Green or what have you. It's not interesting to see. As solid of a game as it is, I refute the idea that 30k is 'tons more flavored' than anything else GW has put out.

And on that point, if GW really has to make a 30k kit to stay in business, we may as well say goodbye to any hope of getting solid, consistent support for xenos. I wouldn't be surprised if this brought in supplements for all of the different chapters of Loyal space marines while the Chaos legions just get one book to cover all 9 (again), and extra months in between xenos releases to fit in all of the extra exclusive Imperial Fist or Dark Angel or Ultramarine releases we'll see if this rumor is true.

It would doom 40k to become exactly what 30k is: Space Marines vs. Space Marines.

While yes... it ultimately deals with a lot of Space Marine vs Space Marine...

Don't forget Mechanicum and Solar Auxilia .... oh and Knights (which are surprisingly cooler than the basic GW ones).

There is more to it than you state - and more coming.

Erik Setzer
02-16-2015, 09:14 PM
while the Chaos legions just get one book to cover all 9 (again),

If it's like the 3.5 CSM book, I'd be just fine with that...

- - - Updated - - -

Don't forget Mechanicum and Solar Auxilia .... oh and Knights (which are surprisingly cooler than the basic GW ones).

It's still Imperium versus Imperium/ex-Imperium...

DrBored
02-16-2015, 09:31 PM

Imperium, imperium, and more imperium. As far as the eye can see.

IMO the Solar Auxilia stuff looks like total and utter garbage, like someone dunked each model in a vat of glue, and then tossed them into a bucket of tiny plastic rivets and sand and then called it new, but that's just my personal heated, and toxic opinion.

And to Erik Setzer, it wont be like 3.5. You know that. Why would you suggest that? C'mon man.

Andrew Thomas
02-16-2015, 11:22 PM
If it's like the 3.5 CSM book, I'd be just fine with that...

I want that. And if World Eaters get shooty infantry, someone's getting smacked.

It's still Imperium versus Imperium/ex-Imperium...

Not their fault that nearly all of the Narrative is Loyalist vs. Renegade. Need to crank out more fic about the other extant political powers in the galaxy, especially the ones that couldn't be readily countered by the Astartes/Mechanicum/Imperial Army.

musical-fool
02-17-2015, 01:43 AM
With the Hobbit franchise over now, doesn't that leave GW with a hole to fill in their sales range? Maybe mainstream, plastic 30k is the fastest & easiest stop gap to fill that hole.

Otherwise what other franchise could GW go for to put on the table top?

Star wars is taken and would be too close to their own 40k, ditto for game of thrones with WFB and I can't think of any other viable franchise at the moment that they could bring to tabletop gaming.

I think 30k could be interesting if plasticised BUT as reflect the general worry that quality would be compromised.

Bigred
02-17-2015, 02:03 AM
79Hasting69 says (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?405659-Plastic-(GW-produced)-Warhamer-30K):

Yes indeed, but let's take it a bit further. Let's imagine creating a standalone game, which is only available for say 6 months, BUT then we'll make the models from it available as individual box sets for something we are definitely going to support, something that might take up empty shelf space in stores. Lets ALSO then imagine we then release another standalone game, again limited to so many months, then we make the models from that set available for another range we support...

...both are something new, the first historical (so that's why I was linking it with the old), the second current (i.e. 40k) again new, but based on something existing AND something old. I'm sorry if that's made it worse!!!

The scale is the same, no epic scale, no inquisitor scale.

Right guys there are several separate rumours that folks are getting mixed up. So I'll at least split it up a little for you. THIS IS NOT RELEASE ORDER, just to help separate the rumours. IT ALSO ISN'T A FULL LIST OF THIS YEARS 40K RELEASES, in fact some of these may be early next year. NONE OF THESE ARE WFB BASED.

Admech Codex & models (full release)
HH Standalone box game, on sale for a few months, then models become part of 30k range.
Assassins Standalone box game, on sale for a few months, then models become part of the 40k range.

I haven't heard anything about mark 9 armour so don't associate it with any of the above.

I mean Harlequin sized as in number of kits, i.e. a few characters, a troops kit, a larger kit and a transport. Or thereabouts :) One kind of has a main codex, kind of, and it's been mentioned on this very thread. The other has also been mentioned on another thread, the one that got moved for not having any news or rumours in.... even though it actually contained quite a bit. In fact I suppose you might say the 2nd has a main codex too :) (kind of)

I think there's a misunderstanding here. BOTH new standalone games will have their model contents released. The first being HH, will see models released as part of the 30k range. The 2nd boxed game models will be released as part of 40k range, part that is currently only available in finecast and not deathwatch before anyone says it again.

I have heard that there might be a plastic GD, plastic daemons, and plastic CSM kit for a certain god at some point later this year (and no it's not Khorne!)

Harry says: (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?405659-Plastic-(GW-produced)-Warhamer-30K)

I never mentioned May
I never mentioned "Nerd rage"
I was only talking about the new space marines.
I said it was going to cause a "**** storm" ....
I simply meant it was 'big news' and it was going to cause a lot of ... 'excitement' :) on the 40K boards.
I did not intend to cause any panic.

It would seem duffybear heard a rumour about new space marines. He naturally assumed these were what came next .... mark 9
However it did not occur to him that what his rumour was about was what came before .....

I think these rumours ARE part of the same thing.

I think Duffy's rumours are about the new space marines for THIS .... for 30K
So that would make it not mark 9 but something like Mark 3 / Mark 4 ? armour. (Or whatever armour it was 30K ...someone will have to help me out with that)

The armour is a simpler, earlier version of the power armour we all know and love.
It looks a bit like something Tony Stark might have knocked up in the desert.

daboarder
02-17-2015, 02:19 AM
wooo, lucky, dodging a bullet there.

30k plastics, not my thing (I'm only really into the primarch models) but its cool. Assasins, Cool but again not my thing, Ad Mech.....not a fan of more factions when GW can seem to give sisters the love they need, but its nice to see GW embracing the micro forces (heres hope stealer cults get one)

DrBored
02-17-2015, 02:28 AM
75hastings69 also dropped hints in the thread involving 'Cataphract' and 'Contemptor' in reference to the 30k 'box set/board game'

And that the Codexes in ****'s in Big Red's post are:

GENESTEALER CULT
and
DEATHWATCH

daboarder
02-17-2015, 02:33 AM
cullts "YAY"

Kirsten
02-17-2015, 03:17 AM
All sounds seriously awesome

Mr Mystery
02-17-2015, 03:43 AM
I just hope it's true.

Given the seemingly sterling job they've done with Harlequins (I've read no moaning about them) it might just come true.

And I'd like to point out I speculated correctly, that now GW have cleared the main forces in terms of Codecies, would they be focussing on smaller, most esoteric forces. And apparently, they are.

Still shonky about Mechanicus stuff, simply because some of the rumours went really, really daft. Onager Dunestrider anyone?

El Ploplo
02-17-2015, 05:14 AM
Maybe a game about Unification Wars ? In fact the "mark 9" is the mark 1 power armour of the Thunder Warriors ;-)

Path Walker
02-17-2015, 05:25 AM
Death Watch and Genestealer Cults I can see, its an obvious choice after seeing how they did Harlies, an Assassin boxed game is an odd one, but again, its an interesting way to release new models and get people to buy more than the one assassin they want.

I just can't see the logic of a Horus Heresy game. I can see the value in them making plastic marine armours, a lot of people are getting annoyed that they have to buy an expensive pack of resin marines only to just use the legs as they have the upgrade kits, cheaper plastic kits of basic marines to be supplemented with the FW resin legion upgrade packs would take some of the sting out of that.

Apart from that though, GW would just be taking away from 40k in its stores, not filling the hole for a smaller specialist game they're missing right now

The Imperial Fist
02-17-2015, 07:17 AM
Now, plastic AdMech I can believe. Specifically because when they were asked about releasing skitarii for 30k they said not likely as that was more generic 40k than 30k and they (FW) wouldn't be doing 40k AdMech in the foreseeable future.

Erik Setzer
02-17-2015, 08:26 AM
Given the seemingly sterling job they've done with Harlequins (I've read no moaning about them)

Actually, I do have *one* bit of "moaning" about them. Maybe a minor gripe, but for me it feels big.

The models' posing is too locked. Mainly, because of the terrain on their bases. The character models have a distinct lack of options, and are all posed the same on the same pieces of terrain, so having, say, three Death Jesters means three models that all look exactly the same, right down to the terrain they're standing on. You might not think that matters much, but I realized how boring it can be when I found out every Stormfiend armed with certain gear has to be built in a very specific pose and the only way to "change it up" is to shift what direction they're facing on the base.

I spent a couple hours one evening last week doing my best to change up a unit of six Harlequins so they wouldn't look too similar to the other unit. As it is, if I didn't have a bunch of older Harlequins, I'd probably not have enough for a force, because I'm not sure I can keep removing terrain from guys and finding new stuff for them to leap off of.

This shouldn't be a problem for a lot of armies they're planning, because you don't expect to run too many of the same character, or have models in basic squads posing in distinct poses on pieces of terrain.

Lord Commissar Maxwell
02-17-2015, 08:28 AM
Now plastic HH kits I would be down for, simply because if GW could make the HH more accessible to me I would be very happy. I live in Kansas and when I order Forge world it takes a long time for it to get to me and a lot of times my orders are damaged in transit so i spend more time waiting for replacement parts. If Forgeworld gets distributed through GW then my life would be a whole lot easier.

Andrew Thomas
02-17-2015, 11:13 AM
Now, plastic AdMech I can believe. Specifically because when they were asked about releasing skitarii for 30k they said not likely as that was more generic 40k than 30k and they (FW) wouldn't be doing 40k AdMech in the foreseeable future.

I just hope that if it's true, they give us something mean that isn't a tank. Because that would be too obvious.

Bigred
02-17-2015, 12:23 PM
Some further context on plastic 30K:

via WhispererofTruth (http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/180/635635.page#7596528) 2-17-2015

The starter set will be joined by a plastic heresy armour set and some plastic Skitarri over the course of the next year. The idea of these boxes is allow players to create armies that can be played in both 30k and 40k and as such expand both markets.

Both Admech and the Legions produced by FW proved to be popular beyond all expectations. So popular infact that GW can justify pumping out kits for a game that isn't even one of their core games. It's also being done as a safety nets, in case 9th ed Fantasy (Which 30k now outsells) crashes and burns, then they have 30k in place to pick up the pieces.

The Old armour kit will be a mix of armour types rather than a kit of say Mk4 armour. All parts will be of course compatible with the current Space Marine range. I do believe a plastic servitor is being done too.

and the rebuttal... via Hastings (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?405659-Plastic-(GW-produced)-Warhammer-30K&p=7386024&viewfull=1#post7386024) 2-17-2015

This is partially true. The "starter set" is in fact a standalone game, however I'll accept starter set as it does lead onto the main 30k game. I think it's safe to assume that 30k could/will have a different game mechanic to 40k, or it would be pretty pointless as a standalone game. Hence the reason that some boxes will contain rules for both 30 & 40k (if the rules weren't different they'd only include 1 set of rules.

It's not however a safety net for WFB, it's a replacement for lotr/hobbit on the shelves as AFAIK all of this is going direct only. WFB is going to have plenty of store presence, and regardless of what many (and indeed I) think I don't think the reboot will be bad for WFB, especially if in it's current format is failing to sell. Hell at one point it was almost totally canned. You never know new WFB might just be awesome (not finecast awesome either), however my own feelings are that the background is what makes WFB, dick with this then it isn't WFB any more, and frankly that just isn't for me. I'm going a little O/T here posting about WFB on 40k (or should that be 30k??) boards but I feel it's as good a time as any. I think what's done WFB no good is the high entry cost and investment of time & money to get a decent army, making a game that's playable as a skirmish game AND a massed battle game does make financial sense, start small, minimal initial outlay, get people interested/hooked, build and buy a bigger army, SADLY this is where GW fall down, THIS IS WHAT THEY USED TO DO YEARS AGO, with games like Heroquest, Warhammer Quest, Blood Bowl etc. get people into the Warhammer world and setting and races of that fantasy world. They lost sight of this and thought that the product was self sustaining, it isn't, there is much more competition now for peoples hard earned cash than ever before, there are many companies that do similar and in some cases better stuff than GW and people know it, because other companies use the internet etc. to their advantage, GW see it as the enemy, and they are wrong. I guarantee this thread has generated more excitement in a few short hours than crap like warhammer visions ever will, and it won't cost them hardly anything. People including me are now thinking, maybe I'll get some nids really for genestealer cults coming along, or I'll pick up an extra deathstorm box for all the nids, or whatever, that GW is SALES. Hiding away ignoring your fan base is beyond ridiculous, especially in such a niche market. The fact that Whispereroftruth said "Admech..... proved popular beyond all expectations" shows just how little they know/listen to their fanbase, as this has been one of THE most wishlisted armies for so many years it is ridiculous. Anyway enough rambling.

I honestly don't think the new WFB will crash and burn. I think it WILL bring in new blood, and after the initial nerd rage some people may actually find that all is not lost, as my good friend Harry says "BRING IT ON!!!!!"

Bigred
02-17-2015, 01:59 PM

-The Box is a Standalone / Starter Box hybrid Gaming Set (like the last two)
-The Box works alone but can be used as a foundation for Crusade Era Armies.
-More sets will come to give HH player a foundation in Plastic
-Legio Mk4 Power Squad box
-Maybe the release of a Termi and a Dread box with neutral designs to combine it with the FW legio specific packs and dreads
-Possible a Rhino I upgrade sprue within a own set
-GW will release only a foundation of HH kits!
-Sells of FW products in the GW-Shop coming soon

Kirsten
02-17-2015, 02:35 PM

called it :p

Erik Setzer
02-17-2015, 02:43 PM
I've actually been trying to get people pumped about these rumors locally and everyone's like, "Nope, not buying it."

Which ironically is my response to HH stuff until these kits come out...

40kGamer
02-17-2015, 02:47 PM
called it :p

It's beginning to feel like Christmas.

Kirsten
02-17-2015, 02:54 PM
many christmases

Cap'nSmurfs
02-17-2015, 03:14 PM
This is pretty fun, if it's true. It's nice to see some more audacity from GW - between the End Times, Harlequins, and this new stuff, it's a pretty cool time to be hobbyin'!

It does make sense, too. Horus Heresy is a cash-cow waiting to be milked more thoroughly. I know I'd buy into it if there were plastic models.

Furthermore, the timing feels right: as the LOTR/Hobbit stuff reaches the end of its life, there's a lot of launch space and design studio energy opening up.

I'd love plastic assassins. And a game!

Gamgee
02-17-2015, 09:32 PM
Ah the Horus Heresy. As boring a time as you can get where it's Imperium and Chaos as far as the eye can see. I'll pass. Now this 40k end times sounds more interesting.

DrBored
02-17-2015, 09:39 PM
Ah the Horus Heresy. As boring a time as you can get where it's Imperium and Chaos as far as the eye can see. I'll pass. Now this 40k end times sounds more interesting.

Sorry boss, 40k end times got debunked as a rumor. It's 30k, 30k, and more 30k into the future (past?)

deinol
02-18-2015, 01:25 AM
Sorry boss, 40k end times got debunked as a rumor. It's 30k, 30k, and more 30k into the future (past?)

40k has always been the end times. What would we need for end times? Abadon has stats somewhere, right?

Mr Mystery
02-18-2015, 04:39 AM

Trouble is, when you see how The Imperium was organised during The Great Crusade, it's no wonder the alien races got so horribly, horribly facestomped.

Compare the humble Solar Auxilia to modern day Astra Militarum.....

Clockwork
02-18-2015, 08:41 AM
Trouble is, when you see how The Imperium was organised during The Great Crusade, it's no wonder the alien races got so horribly, horribly facestomped.

Compare the humble Solar Auxilia to modern day Astra Militarum.....

Not all aliens were "facestomped". I mean there were Orks who were far more dangerous back then too. We had a Warboss the size of a Primarch nearly kill the Emperor by strangling him.

Lord Commissar Maxwell
02-18-2015, 08:47 AM
Not all aliens were "facestomped". I mean there were Orks who were far more dangerous back then too. We had a Warboss the size of a Primarch nearly kill the Emperor by strangling him.

Everything was awesome back in the days of the heresy. The megarachnids that the luna wolves fought always made me think of the bugs from Starship Troopers.

Mr Mystery
02-18-2015, 09:42 AM

Warboss and his Waaaagh! got facestomped horribly :p At least in the end!

Bigred
02-18-2015, 09:53 AM
via Lords of War (https://www.facebook.com/Lordsofwargaming?ref=br_tf) 2-16-2014
Regarding scheduling of Horus Heresy Plastics

Plastic HH marks of armor in May? You're way off!

I didn't say it wasn't happening. It will not be in May.

Also, and unrelated...

Sisters of Battle are not coming out this year.

Psychosplodge
02-18-2015, 10:00 AM
Again? what happened to all the May rumours?

Mr Mystery
02-18-2015, 10:08 AM
Sounds like the rumour mill needs a mechanic. It's got caught in a contradiction loop.

I trust Harry and Hastings though - they've been reliable in the past!

Cap'nSmurfs
02-18-2015, 11:13 AM
Bet you the backpedal won't make the front page!

Clockwork
02-18-2015, 12:42 PM
Also not making the front page: the fact that we're not getting 40k End Times.

DrBored
02-18-2015, 12:50 PM
Honestly, and I don't know why nobody is seeing this, the WFB End Times IS NOT THAT GREAT.

They nuked armies that people loved, made a bunch of big ugly kits that nobody is buying, and printed a bunch of overpriced books that are taking up shelf and inventory space and not moving at all.

Why would GW, after seeing that sort of flop, try to do it AGAIN with their most important slice of business?

Contrary to popular belief, they're a business, not a metaphor for suicide.

Erik Setzer
02-18-2015, 12:56 PM
Honestly, and I don't know why nobody is seeing this, the WFB End Times IS NOT THAT GREAT.

They nuked armies that people loved, made a bunch of big ugly kits that nobody is buying, and printed a bunch of overpriced books that are taking up shelf and inventory space and not moving at all.

Why would GW, after seeing that sort of flop, try to do it AGAIN with their most important slice of business?

The End Times books sold so well that they ran out of hardcover (at least the first three) and had to print softcovers, which are now on shelves.

A lot of those big kits look pretty good and are selling quite well. I know people with no interest in playing Nagash who bought him. A guy without a Skaven army got a Vermin Lord to convert a Daemon Prince. I've seen multiple Glottkin and Maggoth Lords, and a couple of Mortarchs. Plenty of Blightkings. The Morghasts look absolutely awesome. While the Stormfiends are single-pose, they look brilliant. I have some of them, plus a Verminlord and the new Thanquol and Boneripper, all of which look amazing.

Yeah, killing off armies in the fluff sucks. And while the next edition might snuff them for good, they aren't gone from 8th edition.

DrBored
02-18-2015, 01:00 PM
The End Times books sold so well that they ran out of hardcover (at least the first three) and had to print softcovers, which are now on shelves.

A lot of those big kits look pretty good and are selling quite well. I know people with no interest in playing Nagash who bought him. A guy without a Skaven army got a Vermin Lord to convert a Daemon Prince. I've seen multiple Glottkin and Maggoth Lords, and a couple of Mortarchs. Plenty of Blightkings. The Morghasts look absolutely awesome. While the Stormfiends are single-pose, they look brilliant. I have some of them, plus a Verminlord and the new Thanquol and Boneripper, all of which look amazing.

Yeah, killing off armies in the fluff sucks. And while the next edition might snuff them for good, they aren't gone from 8th edition.

I mean, I guess we're just seeing two sides of the hobby, but I've been to 5 hobby stores across the world. Literally. Two in Florida, two in California, and one in JAPAN, and none of those models are moving. I had a friend that liked Nagash and got him, but didn't bother with the books, and one guy got one of the Skaven models, but that's because he's a Skaven nut. Everything else is gathering dust.

Clockwork
02-18-2015, 01:11 PM

WFB had to have End Times because the game was selling so poorly that the only way to fix it was a major upheaval. So I agree, it's not something they would/should do with 40k.

DrBored
02-18-2015, 01:15 PM
WFB had to have End Times because the game was selling so poorly that the only way to fix it was a major upheaval. So I agree, it's not something they would/should do with 40k.

This.

TBH, I'd like to see this thread closed so we can stop talking about 40k End Times and start talking about rumors that still hold some merit.

Erik Setzer
02-18-2015, 01:41 PM
This.

TBH, I'd like to see this thread closed so we can stop talking about 40k End Times and start talking about rumors that still hold some merit.

Except the thread already evolved into other rumors that had merit... so closing it would shutter those discussions.

Cap'nSmurfs
02-18-2015, 02:35 PM

You're allowed to dislike the End Times. But these points are all wrong. Flopped? All those books sold out on the webstore - some twice! - and I've seen more people talking about WFB than for years before.

1. No army's gone yet. People are overreacting. Or not really reading properly. (It's the second one).

Seriously, name an army that's "gone," and you'll find that their fate's actually been left ambiguous for the moment.

2. Webstore Warhammer top sellers: Glottkin, Maggoth Lords, Putrid Blightkings and Gutrot Spume are all in the top 12. http://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Warhammer?N=102351+4294966236&Nu=product.repositoryId&qty=12&sorting=phl&view=table

Nagash and the Undead stuff were in there a couple of months ago. I imagine people are gearing up for Archaon. I know my store back in the UK sold out of Warriors of Chaos books and battalions around Christmas, when Glottkin was new.

Don't know the absolute figures - I'm sure it's still less than 40k stuff - but that's not exactly a picture of "not selling". Gnoblars are probably "not selling".

3. Every hardcover initial release of an End Times book sold out the day of preorder from the UK webstore (bit slower in the US, but it did happen). They had to do a second printing of Nagash and eventually came out with softcover versions of all the books. Demand for them took GW by surprise.

DrBored
02-18-2015, 03:00 PM
You're allowed to dislike the End Times. But these points are all wrong. Flopped? All those books sold out on the webstore - some twice! - and I've seen more people talking about WFB than for years before.

1. No army's gone yet. People are overreacting. Or not really reading properly. (It's the second one).

Seriously, name an army that's "gone," and you'll find that their fate's actually been left ambiguous for the moment.

2. Webstore Warhammer top sellers: Glottkin, Maggoth Lords, Putrid Blightkings and Gutrot Spume are all in the top 12. http://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Warhammer?N=102351+4294966236&Nu=product.repositoryId&qty=12&sorting=phl&view=table

Nagash and the Undead stuff were in there a couple of months ago. I imagine people are gearing up for Archaon. I know my store back in the UK sold out of Warriors of Chaos books and battalions around Christmas, when Glottkin was new.

Don't know the absolute figures - I'm sure it's still less than 40k stuff - but that's not exactly a picture of "not selling". Gnoblars are probably "not selling".

3. Every hardcover initial release of an End Times book sold out the day of preorder from the UK webstore (bit slower in the US, but it did happen). They had to do a second printing of Nagash and eventually came out with softcover versions of all the books. Demand for them took GW by surprise.

1. Fluff where the Skaven (one of my least favorite obnoxious factions) all but annihilates the Lizardmen (my favorite WFB faction) is not very encouraging. Further beating on the Dwarves is also not encouraging.

2. New kits are always the best sellers, c'mon now.

3. I've heard the UK is bigger into Fantasy than America, so maybe I'm just seeing a lot of that. All I know is, nobody I know has invested beyond one of the big kits. Maybe I just saw stores that are heavy into every other facet of the hobby, but seeing those books not move at all and not seeing anyone actually put one of those big (I still maintain 'ugly') models on the table is not very encouraging to me.

Plus, 0 attention has been given to the 'good' factions, which isn't very encouraging either. It's all these big creepy half-dead pus-dripping gooey models that I don't want to touch, let alone look at.

Again, that's just my toxic vehement opinion.

And, I maintain, that such an event would be disastrous for 40k.

As much as I would LOVE Chaos Daemons and Chaos Marines to get proper, beautiful attention in the form of massive models and new ground-breaking rules, it would, like Fantasy, leave the 'good' guys with nothing to retaliate with, and GW would NEVER put the Space Marines on the back foot.

The things happening in Fantasy are wrecking whole factions and changing the face of the game and the races that participate. 40k has such popular and established races that wiping any of them down to their last dregs would be ridiculously silly. They've already alienated Sisters of Battle players, but this would mean alienating players of other, popular factions, just like they're now alienating Lizardmen players.

Cap'nSmurfs
02-18-2015, 03:14 PM
Like I say, you're allowed to think that - and I agree, I don't want it for 40k! It's a different setting that works in a different way.

I still think you're wrong about the End Times, but I'm enjoying it.

(Nothing for the good guys? What's Karl Franz Ascendant, chopped liver!?)

Erik Setzer
02-19-2015, 10:05 AM
The reason no one's put them on the table is their points cost. Off the top of my head, and I could be wrong, this is what it looks like:

Glottkin - 850
Nagash - 1000
Mortarchs - 650ish
Maggoth Lords - 450ish
Super-Saiyan Karl Franz - 850
Super-Saiyan Malekith - 1000
Thanquol - 650
Verminlords - 500

They had to change the core army composition to let people take them in 2000 point games, which is the basic point level people play at. At that point, Nagash is half your army, and you have to hope he gets off his spells to bring in a lot of new units. Oh, and spell-casting is easier to counter in WFB than 40K, but there's also some nasty "kill ANYTHING" spells, so that huge points sink could be snuffed in one go, like when someone got off Purple Sun of Xereus on Nagash, and this awesome, expensive model that had taken weeks to paint died with a single unlucky die roll (he rolled a 6 for the Initiative test; poof, Nagash is gone, no save). So they're a risk to take when it's not something like Apocalypse levels of games. Sort of like Ork Stompas and Imperial Baneblades, where they changed the core rules to encourage people to take them in normal games, but they're bloody expensive, and most people won't want to play against them (the levels of whining I hear about my Stompa are quite insane), so you still don't see them that often, and I hardly ever see one of those models sell. If I was to assume that their perpetual place on the shelf meant none of them were selling, well, I'd have to assume none were selling, because when one does sell, a new one gets put on the shelf.

So think of it like Apoc with 40K... It's an exciting new way to play the game, but could be a bit crazier at low point levels. I've had some fun matches with the stuff, and we're going to do a massive multiplayer End Times bash toward the end of March (likely Archaon's horde of Chaos armies against the combined armies of those arrayed to stop him, like Nagash, the Elves, etc.).

40K doesn't need any kind of shakeup, it's doing okay, it's only mildly in remission and not on life support. Besides, it's already gotten the rules shakeup. And heck, they keep changing the fluff anyway. Abaddon's 13th Black Crusade already happened and failed, but they retconned that. The Tyranids keep changing. The Necron fluff's been rewritten multiple times. That's all just modern changes. And they wiped out Squats at one point, a lot of the "news" armies coming in are armies that existed before but got snuffed out... Really, "End Times" events have happened for 40K over time, just not all at once. But seriously, go ask someone about how much fun they're having with their Squats, or Imperial Beastmen, or Orks with power weapons, or Adeptus Arbites, or Harlequins prior to the new codex coming out, or Genestealer Cults (that's a rumor of a new book right now, but doesn't change the nearly two decades of no rules), or Eldar Exodites and/or Pirates, Space Marine Jetbikes, Feral Orks, Madboyz, or so many other units and armies that have been wiped out.

Bigred
02-25-2015, 11:38 AM
via Steve the Warboss 2-25-2015

-Gaming Set Includes a Suppliment for the Age of Darkness
-Rules and a Dettachment for Playing Legio Astartes and Xenos in the Past of 40k
-A new Allied Matrix including Xenos of the 31st Millenium
-Very generic Dataslates for the Models, only the featured Characters will have specific Background, but can used for any Legion
-Unlike the previous Sets, the Squads will have no unique Leaders, only names "Sergeant"
-Box will include 6 versions of new Sprues

Kirsten
02-25-2015, 11:43 AM
still sounding awesome

Popsical
02-25-2015, 11:50 AM
Yep sounds great, but when?

Cap'nSmurfs
02-25-2015, 03:48 PM
So ready to play The Scouring.

Maybe we should change the title of this thread, given that it's actually 40k Before-Times~

StraightSilver
02-26-2015, 10:32 AM
This might be nothing, but appeared today apparently:

http://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/The-Horus-Heresy

Probably a place holder but looks promising.

Kirsten
02-26-2015, 04:36 PM
interesting, does look promising indeed

Asymmetrical Xeno
02-26-2015, 04:41 PM
Yeah, normally a page that doesn't exist would go to an error page instead, this one does not..

Houghten
02-26-2015, 06:20 PM
That is an error page; a 404 error page. A custom one, to be sure, but still one.

If you go to http://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/moose you get the same thing, but I'm pretty sure they're not bringing out a game called Moose any time soon.

DrBored
02-26-2015, 06:37 PM
It didn't look like that before.

They probably realized the botch and fixed it.

Asymmetrical Xeno
02-26-2015, 06:48 PM
Yeah, it was just a white blank page before - now it has the error 404 thing with the artwork bit.

Clockwork
02-26-2015, 10:00 PM
Yup, the error is new. I screencapped this this morning:

DrBored
02-26-2015, 10:23 PM

Good catch!

Clockwork
02-26-2015, 10:40 PM
Good catch!
I had a hunch they'd fix it so I grabbed it just in case.

Asymmetrical Xeno
02-27-2015, 03:05 AM

Thanks, now those of us saying it was like that don't look crazy now :P

Psychosplodge
02-27-2015, 03:22 AM
Welll....

Not for that anyway ;)

Erik Setzer
02-27-2015, 01:31 PM
Thanks, now those of us saying it was like that don't look crazy now :P

Someone checked the link when I shared it before they fixed it, so I have a corroborating witness locally, one that people will trust. Yay!

Bigred
03-08-2015, 10:21 AM
via one of gary's birds (http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/Faeit212/~3/YJKW2V7NjRw/horus-heresy-starter-box-in-may.html) 4-8-2015

confirmed that HH was coming to regular GW stores.

A starter box set for 2 players with 'generic', non-Legion specific Heresy-era units is coming in May. Wasn't specific on plans beyond that, apart from that FW will take care of Legion-specific upgrade packs, unique units and any other stuff that GW doesn't want to run in plastic.

Apparently the demand for HH stuff has been so intense GW is centralizing the range.
Didn't mention anything about FW in stores though.

Erik Setzer
03-08-2015, 10:31 AM
If GW is "centralizing" the range and making the core stuff available, they'll want to have some way to get Forge World stuff through their retail stores, because otherwise they're just going to annoy people who think, "Cool, I have a bunch of basic units... but I have to go online, to a completely different website as well, to order anything else for my army. Gosh, that's convenient!"

AndrewDart
03-08-2015, 10:43 AM
If GW is "centralizing" the range and making the core stuff available, they'll want to have some way to get Forge World stuff through their retail stores, because otherwise they're just going to annoy people who think, "Cool, I have a bunch of basic units... but I have to go online, to a completely different website as well, to order anything else for my army. Gosh, that's convenient!"

At what point is ordering anything online inconvenient? I get the desire to want it in GW, but inconvenient, it is not.

Lord Ezekial
03-08-2015, 10:48 AM
This would help my Death guard and my wallet greatly.

Erik Setzer
03-08-2015, 10:55 AM
At what point is ordering anything online inconvenient? I get the desire to want it in GW, but inconvenient, it is not.

When you can just order it at the shop while you're there getting the other stuff, having to go home to order part of your army is, indeed, an inconvenience.

I also would prefer stuff be sold through the local GW store because any dollars I spend on Forge World right now would not count toward the local manager's sales, even though it's his running an awesome store that makes me want to spend more money, so his sales don't look as good as they should and there's a risk the store could be closed if the sales aren't strong enough. We have to be careful about recruiting for 30K games right now, because doing so in the GW store would actually mean we're asking people to buy stuff that doesn't help the GW store and, at the moment, competes with the store for people's hobby dollars. But if they sell FW through their retail stores (at least with some way to order and pay there and have it delivered there), that means we can order stuff at the store and help keep the local store running (with its current manager, too).

Houghten
03-08-2015, 11:21 AM
Hell, I'd settle for it just being on the main GW webstore; then the vouchers I buy through my local store's till can support it while being used to buy FW stuff.

Erik Setzer
03-08-2015, 08:08 PM
Hell, I'd settle for it just being on the main GW webstore; then the vouchers I buy through my local store's till can support it while being used to buy FW stuff.

Well, my local store also has an online sales kiosk, and you can order through the webstore and have stuff delivered to the store and pay for it there. We do that for stuff that isn't stocked in the store (like "web exclusives") and some new releases. For ET: Archaon, the manager put in an order for me on the site while I was at work and I was able to swing by after work to pay for it, so it's ready to go for me next week. Forge World being available like that would be so awesome. And it really does become a good idea when they're selling Horus Heresy stuff through their retail stores and webstore, so you can order your plastic HH kits and Forge World upgrade bits at the same time.

Mr Mystery
03-09-2015, 02:13 AM
Just taking away the Forgeworld shipping costs would get me ordering more.

I know it's not much in the grand scheme of things, but it does make me far less inclined toward impulse buys.

Cutter
03-09-2015, 06:47 AM

Do not want.

Lord Commissar Maxwell
03-09-2015, 08:49 AM
This will help greatly with my Lost Legion I am making. Forgeworld is great but it hurts my bank account bad with the shipping. Hopefully my Sky Talons will finally be able to have a main body force!

Bigred
03-09-2015, 09:58 AM
via Steve the Warboss 4-9-2015

Horus Heresy Starter Set

-2 Generic Legio Astartes Armies
-20x Tactical Marines (2 Sprues)
-5x Cataphractii Terminators (1 Spure)
-1x Contemptor Dreadnought (1 Sprue)
-2x Legio Centurions (both with options for Consul options, 2 identical Sprues)
-Transfer Sheet with Symbols of 3 Loyal and 3 Traitor Legions
-Suppliment includes a summary of the great crusade with important events and timeline
-Description of the Legions from the Decal Sheet with small history of them

Cap'nSmurfs
03-09-2015, 10:21 AM
That's a nice meaty set.

40kGamer
03-09-2015, 10:22 AM
I'm pulling for this one. Would be nice to have nonresin 30k legions.

Kirsten
03-09-2015, 12:11 PM
I'd buy a couple of those

Defenestratus
03-09-2015, 12:59 PM
Games Workshop:

Making pick up games of Warhammer 40,000 harder to find since.. I donno.. 2006?

Bigred
03-10-2015, 12:15 PM
via Voices in the Trees 4-10-2015

Plastic Heresy Standalone Kits (Age of Darkness) Details

Marine Squad Kit: 10 marines, Mk II-IV variants, bits for sergeant, communications, and banner bearer. Bolters or bolt pistol/chainsword for all. Combi weapon bits for sergeant. Pistols for sergeant include Grav, plasma, flame, and volkite. Power sword or fist for sergeant. Marine bits are compatible with current 40k bits. £35

Cataphractii Terminator Squad Kit: 5 Models. Bits for sergeant including grenade harness, power sword, combi weapon bits, volkite weapon. Marine bits include combibolters, chainfists, power fists, heavy Flamer, auto cannon, plasma blaster, lightning claws, and thunder hammer. (no storm shields) shoulders are 2 part to accept FW legion shoulders. £40

Contemptor Pattern Dreadnought Kit: Heavy heavy bolter, 2 fists with weapon variants (Bolter, plasma, flame, Melta) (no claw fingers), las cannon, and multimelta. Arms are universal, and compatible with FW upgrade bits. Includes legion decal sheet. £40

Deimos Pattern Rhino (or Predator) Kit: Includes dozer blade, Smoke launchers, HK, TL Bolter, heavy Bolter, havok launcher, flamer. Will be compatible with FW upgrade kits for predator, whirlwind, razorback. £30

RELIABILITY: This set of rumor is rated: POSSIBLE, coming from a mixture of known and unknown sources. Caveat Emptor

DrBored
03-10-2015, 12:57 PM
For something that's been rumored to be coming NOT IN MAY, but even further out (like 6+ months by some), we seem to have a LOT of detail on the kits..

Whereas Adeptus Mechanicus is right around the corner and we're not even 100% on the titles of the codex, let alone any kits at all except 'tanks are walkers'.

Kirsten
03-10-2015, 02:31 PM
I would be all over those kits

Arkhan Land
03-10-2015, 02:40 PM
maybe its something designed to flush out leaks, or it inadvertently will. If we assume both of these rumors are correct it would mean different parts of GW's design/HQ are not aware of what the others are doing on some level or that somehow different projects are given a greater level of secrecy in terms of knowledge about them.

If for some reason any reasonably re-searchable leak point can be found among certain personnel I would suspect that person might be in some degree of trouble as this leak would affect sales of currently existing forgeworld products, possibly influencing those who would buy them now to wait (which is maybe fine in terms of GWs need to re-coop money on a new molds for these plastic Kits versus the earliest 30k models which have probably done their molds good by now) perhaps the lack of a strong denouncement of GW is enough proof as is. If there were widespread rumors about how people just need to wait and buy plastic 30k kits and it werent true I dont know that it would befit GW to not say something and let that eat into any sales at all

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzaL8wiSjnM

Kirsten
03-10-2015, 02:51 PM
I don't think Forge World will care though. Not just because they are part of GW, but in more practical terms, their production methods are far cheaper. Making a cast for resin is far cheaper than a plastic injection mold, Forge World will have easily made their production costs back and then some on all the basic marines, terminators etc. And I think on a creative level, they must be pretty thrilled to see their creations go mainstream.

DrLove42
03-10-2015, 03:40 PM
Well razorbacks dont exist in the Heresy so it wont be compatable with them for 30k games!

Lexington
03-10-2015, 04:00 PM
Lords of War Gaming on Facebook sez:

You will see a new Space Marine codex before you see Horus Heresy plastics.

Take that as you will. He's also said that AdMech is right around the corner in another thread. From what I remember, LoWG has been a pretty impeccable source in the past.

daboarder
03-10-2015, 04:01 PM
Lords of War Gaming on Facebook sez:

Take that as you will. He's also said that AdMech is right around the corner in another thread. From what I remember, LoWG has been a pretty impeccable source in the past.

lords is usually pretty accurate

then again, so are hastings and harry

DrBored
03-10-2015, 04:32 PM
lords is usually pretty accurate

then again, so are hastings and harry

Hastings also said that we would not be seeing HH stuff in May, and that he didn't know where people were getting that.

It was speculation that just got a little out of hand.

No HH stuff within the near future, let's just put it at that.

Which makes me think, of course, that if we already have ALL OF THIS DETAIL about the interior of a box set that could be 6+ months out, that maybe a lot of the rumors around the contents are just guesses or false.

Orkimedes1000
03-10-2015, 04:44 PM
well that just highlights the obvious! i mean rumors are one of two (possibly 3) things. 1. a leak, 2. BS or 3. potentially real but early.

DrBored
03-10-2015, 04:53 PM
Lords of WarGaming followed up with.. Tau will be getting a Codex before HH.

They haven't outright said that HH plastics won't be happening at all, but it sounds like it's being pushed way down the line. WAY down.

Like, Admech, Fantasy 9th, some other stuff, Space Marines, some other stuff, Tau, some other stuff, THEN MAYBE 30k plastics.

conscriptboris
03-10-2015, 05:03 PM
Has anyone thrown in HH edition plastic thunderhawk yet?????

:D

Psychosplodge
03-10-2015, 05:23 PM
that's the xmas limited edition model, though its a stormhawk.

Bigred
03-10-2015, 06:56 PM
The rumors are really strange right now.

We have two camps with reliable people on both sides disagreeing on HH in May.

No one is saying that HH in plastic wont happen, just argument over the timing.

Also, folks seem to agree that something major is hitting in May.

Like I said... Odd

Defenestratus
03-10-2015, 08:15 PM
The rumors are really strange right now.

We have two camps with reliable people on both sides disagreeing on HH in May.

No one is saying that HH in plastic wont happen, just argument over the timing.

Also, folks seem to agree that something major is hitting in May.

Like I said... Odd

Sounds to me that GW is trying to locate the source of the leaks and feeding their people different information so as to find what trickles out.

Psychosplodge
03-11-2015, 02:50 AM
Canary trap? Sounds plausible... but the conflicting reports suggest they're leaking like a sieve.

Popsical
03-11-2015, 02:58 AM
My take on this:
7th ed codex space maureens to be released later this year with new plastic sets of models "thru the ages"
These will be useable in both 30 and 40 k.
New battalion or army box with said kits included at no discount as usual, but maybe a LE preator model thrown in.
Box content:
Preator (possible)
10 tacticals
1 rhino
5 cataphract
1 contemptor
Price £90-100
Much more plausable in my opinion.

Mr Mystery
03-11-2015, 03:04 AM
For something that's been rumored to be coming NOT IN MAY, but even further out (like 6+ months by some), we seem to have a LOT of detail on the kits..

Whereas Adeptus Mechanicus is right around the corner and we're not even 100% on the titles of the codex, let alone any kits at all except 'tanks are walkers'.

Alleged to be right around the corner.

Erik Setzer
03-11-2015, 08:22 AM
Sounds to me that GW is trying to locate the source of the leaks and feeding their people different information so as to find what trickles out.

So they can make things even more secretive, despite the fact it's obviously pissing off their customers and their own employees?

Yeah, that sounds like a winning strategy.

Defenestratus
03-11-2015, 10:46 AM
So they can make things even more secretive, despite the fact it's obviously pissing off their customers and their own employees?

Yeah, that sounds like a winning strategy.

Remind yourself that this is GW.

Secrecy is their modus operandi.

Kirsten
03-11-2015, 11:02 AM
GW knows best what works for them. I know people like to believe that GW are either stupid or evil, but the fact is if their secrecy were costing them a lot of sales, they would stop.

Defenestratus
03-11-2015, 11:09 AM
but the fact is if their secrecy were costing them a lot of sales, they would stop.

Perhaps its not the secrecy then that's costing them sales - but their financial statements clearly indicate that *something* is costing them sales.

Kirsten
03-11-2015, 11:14 AM
something has cost them some sales, but they still made a huge profit for such a small company.

it is just incredibly irritating to see all this 'GW have got it wrong, they are so stupid, I know better'. business is never that simple. they don't act on a whim, and they have a far better idea than anybody here as to what their financial situation is, and what the pitfalls are. Not aimed at you Def, just in general.

Defenestratus
03-11-2015, 11:22 AM
something has cost them some sales, but they still made a huge profit for such a small company.

it is just incredibly irritating to see all this 'GW have got it wrong, they are so stupid, I know better'. business is never that simple. they don't act on a whim, and they have a far better idea than anybody here as to what their financial situation is, and what the pitfalls are. Not aimed at you Def, just in general.

The only reason GW even made any profit last quarter is because they've cut out as much operating cost as possible. That trick only works so long until there's nothing left to trim.

I don't want this thread to devolve into another "GW sux!" thread, but I'm equally as amused by people who think that GW has their business figured out despite all recent evidence to the contrary.

Path Walker
03-11-2015, 11:24 AM
Its also really simple to explain why secracy is a better business model.

A cool box comes out, say, Harlequins, and you want them so, on impluse you say, ok, I'll grab a few of them, and next week maybe a voidweaver oh and a solitaire, forgot the get that! Then you may as well grab the codex and the cards. Then, a few months later when Mechanicum appear, you buy a few boxes of them, because you've always wanted a mechanicus army.

If you knew what was coming out this year, you might think, they're cool, but I think I'll hold off a but, I know Mechanicum are coming soon and I'll save my hobby dollars for the Ad Mech, as you've always wanted those.

Kirsten
03-11-2015, 11:26 AM
cutting operations doesn't net the kind of profit they reaped though. I am not saying they are perfect, but they know a damn sight more than anybody here.

Path Walker
03-11-2015, 11:28 AM
I'd love/hate to see a business ran by what the business expert GW haters go by. How quickly do you think it would tank?

Clockwork
03-11-2015, 11:55 AM
Canary trap? Sounds plausible... but the conflicting reports suggest they're leaking like a sieve.

GW has done it in the past before several times.

Remind yourself that this is GW.

Secrecy is their modus operandi.

TIL that GW is the Inquisition.

Perhaps its not the secrecy then that's costing them sales - but their financial statements clearly indicate that *something* is costing them sales.

My money is that WFB as it stands has been a sinking ship. With them doing the End Times they're setting up for a massive overhaul, and a clearing out of old kits (and Finecast) and streamline the product line. This is a good thing for the bottom line.

Of course if that works they still have a failing Brick and Mortar sales model that could stand to be dropped at this point, at least in North America. That'd help cut costs quite a bit.

Bigred
04-15-2015, 11:45 AM
Just in from Atia (http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/303432-rumours-plastic-horus-heresy-box/?p=4008991) on Bolter & Chainsword 4-15-2015

"Horus Heresy - Age of Darkness"
http://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/the-horus-heresy-age-of-darkness

Erik Setzer
04-15-2015, 12:09 PM
BAH! This is why I hate the lack of foreknowledge. I was thinking maybe I'd go for the Eldar next week (still got a case of them to assemble at home, even though I gave my brother all my dad's old painted Eldar... hey, I didn't paint them, I'm not that attached). But I don't want to drop $58 on that if something like this is coming the week after, especially as I'm doing a Horus Heresy campaign with some friends.

This is not really great planning on G-Dub's part, though... First weekend of the month for a major release like this? Bad move. That's rent time. Can't imagine I'm the only person who'll be down on cash because of bills, and I don't want to lean on my credit card. I could try to save up some money for then, but it means I won't be making purchases at the GW store, so hopefully it won't hurt the quota and cause the manager any issues.

Mr Mystery
04-15-2015, 12:11 PM
It's also payday - the best time to raid our wallets.

40kGamer
04-15-2015, 12:15 PM
Holy cow! I'm glad I just wrapped my heavy work season for the year. At least I'll have the time to start grabbing all the new goodies that come out.

Erik Setzer
04-15-2015, 12:17 PM
It's also payday - the best time to raid our wallets.

Well, depends on the person and how their company pays. I'm every other week, and I get paid April 24 and May 8, so I actually get paid on the two weeks bracketing it. Some people are 1st and 15th of each month. Seems mid-month is more likely a safe spot to aim for, but maybe things work different in the UK.

As long as it's not limited release, should be fine.

If it's limited release, I'm going to round up some torches and pitchforks and a place ticket to Nottingham.

Erik Setzer
04-15-2015, 01:40 PM
I have to share this because it's so appropriate and gets passed around the local GW store Facebook chat at times like this:

Houghten
04-15-2015, 01:44 PM

http://www.blacklibrary.com/horus-heresy/Age-of-Darkness.html

Patrick Boyle
04-15-2015, 02:15 PM
It seems a little bizarre they'd suddenly be slapping a year old short story collection up on the main web store. The "Can you save the galaxy?" next week preview in the Eldar release WD combined with that redirect popping seems to imply it's what it sounds like, a HH starter box, but I guess we'll know soon enough.

Erik Setzer
04-15-2015, 04:28 PM
Stop trying to ruin our fun, you killjoys!

DrBored
04-15-2015, 04:49 PM
It seems a little bizarre they'd suddenly be slapping a year old short story collection up on the main web store. The "Can you save the galaxy?" next week preview in the Eldar release WD combined with that redirect popping seems to imply it's what it sounds like, a HH starter box, but I guess we'll know soon enough.

They've named Black Library books after product, and product after BL books before.

'Age of Darkness' is really, really generic.

Wildeybeast
04-16-2015, 12:00 AM
I'm clicking on that link and all I get is a 404 error. Hmmm, perhaps a page that went up too soon?

Psychosplodge
04-16-2015, 03:25 AM
Well, depends on the person and how their company pays. I'm every other week, and I get paid April 24 and May 8, so I actually get paid on the two weeks bracketing it. Some people are 1st and 15th of each month. Seems mid-month is more likely a safe spot to aim for, but maybe things work different in the UK.

If you're paid monthly(which is probably most common) you're either paid on an arbitrary date (ours is 22nd of each month so xmas doesn't interfere in december, the friday if 22nd falls on weekend) or some firms its the fourth day(eg friday) of the month.
Some people have 13 4 week periods instead where they'll get paid every four weeks on normally a thursday or friday.
I don't think I know anyone paid weekly/fortnightly anymore.

Kirsten
04-16-2015, 03:27 AM
I get paid weekly. it is fantastic.

Psychosplodge
04-16-2015, 03:27 AM
And heres the exception.

Erik Setzer
04-16-2015, 05:12 AM
My company pays fortnightly. It's nice, except that it doesn't always line up right with when rent is due (1st of the month), so I might have to hold money in the bank for a week and remember not to touch it, no matter how tempting the week's releases are.

It's also pretty neat that it lines up with the schedule for doing Marketing web builds, same day we set those up for install, so it feels like I'm getting rewarded directly for doing my job.

Darren Richardson
04-16-2015, 07:14 AM
I get paid every 4 weeks on a Thursday, Today being payday, am restraining my extra money ready for salute next week....

I do hope that if it is a HH box set, they keep it around for a while so I can get my hands on one.....

Kirsten
04-16-2015, 07:16 AM
so what is the actual rumour here that has people talking about payday anyway? that link of Red's just goes to 404 not found. where are people getting an end of the month date from?

Psychosplodge
04-16-2015, 07:19 AM
because Erik mentioned his doesn't line up with releases.

Kirsten
04-16-2015, 07:26 AM
ok, so nothing useful regarding the release then.

Erik Setzer
04-16-2015, 07:32 AM
so what is the actual rumour here that has people talking about payday anyway? that link of Red's just goes to 404 not found. where are people getting an end of the month date from?

A few things...

1. The 404 error is a "redirect" of a lowercase URL to an uppercase URL, which only happens if someone's set up the server to redirect that URL (type in lowercase gibberish and it won't convert it). So that means it's very likely such a product is going to show up. They detected some of the Eldar products this way, and here they are showing up.

2. Apparently a lot of GW managers (or all of them?) aren't allowed to take May 1st off* (first weekend of May), suggesting a big release. (*I'd guess May 2nd is also off the table for vacation time.)

Throw the two together, and it suggests that we could get a Horus Heresy release the first weekend of May.

It's conjecture, sure, but that's all we have to go on right now. It seems more likely than WFB9 showing up May 1st.

From there it kind of digressed after I mentioned that's also the time rent is due, and people got to comparing when they get paid, when bills are due, all that... just a little side detour. At least it's a lot less harmful than "I'm not going to play against Eldar at all until they get a new codex in 2017!"

Patrick Boyle
04-16-2015, 07:52 AM
A few things...

1. The 404 error is a "redirect" of a lowercase URL to an uppercase URL, which only happens if someone's set up the server to redirect that URL (type in lowercase gibberish and it won't convert it). So that means it's very likely such a product is going to show up. They detected some of the Eldar, Skitarii, Daemonkin, and Harlequin products this way, and here they are showing up.

FTFY. Redirects have become a pretty reliable means of detecting upcoming products, until GW gets wise to it and changes up when they start putting entries in their DB.

Erik Setzer
04-16-2015, 08:05 AM
FTFY. Redirects have become a pretty reliable means of detecting upcoming products, until GW gets wise to it and changes up when they start putting entries in their DB.

You didn't "fix" it for me. I used the most recent example that was fresh in memory. There's no need to list everything.

You could have added your own post noting those as other examples, but do not edit my post and claim you "fixed" it when it got across the point just fine and was not incorrect and therefore didn't need "fixed." To suggest it was is offensive. You might not have intended it that way, but it would be good to consider what you're saying in the future when you are literally starting your post with a phrase that means, "You were wrong, and I am correcting you on your inaccuracies."

Patrick Boyle
04-16-2015, 08:31 AM
Apologies, I didn't mean it that way. You did list the latest example but I figured it was worth pointing out that the redirects have been accurate indicators of every 40k release so far this year, not just Eldar. Fantasy too I think, but I don't pay as much attention to that. People still seem to be doubtful of it when it's so far been 100% accurate. Every time it's been "I found a redirect for X unit" "what? it's a 404/look I found a redirect to ridiculous_nonsense so I don't know what you're talking about". I could have gone about it a different way but I just wanted to drive the point home.

Deadlift
04-16-2015, 08:40 AM
What would be cool would be if GW also released a mini 30k rulebook in the HH box set. That would really bring the game to everyone.

Erik Setzer
04-16-2015, 09:18 AM
Apologies, I didn't mean it that way. You did list the latest example but I figured it was worth pointing out that the redirects have been accurate indicators of every 40k release so far this year, not just Eldar. Fantasy too I think, but I don't pay as much attention to that. People still seem to be doubtful of it when it's so far been 100% accurate. Every time it's been "I found a redirect for X unit" "what? it's a 404/look I found a redirect to ridiculous_nonsense so I don't know what you're talking about". I could have gone about it a different way but I just wanted to drive the point home.

I'm not sure there's been much Fantasy product for people to notice. A lot of the End Times rumors also ended up being off with some of the products, so people weren't sure what to look for. So far 40K's been where the action's at with the redirects and all.

There was also the Horus Heresy blank page found a few weeks ago, that became a 404 a few hours after it started making the rounds on the Internet. But that didn't help narrow down a timeline.

What makes me curious is how people know what phrases to even look for? I swear some of these things are showing up before we know what units are called from WD leaks and all. I wonder if someone has access to a GW system and can see upcoming products, but rather than leak that info, they're saying they "found redirects" that they wouldn't otherwise know to look for. (I know the GW store computers get updated ahead of a release, sometimes weeks in advance... one of the very few ways the managers are warned of what's coming.)

deinol
04-16-2015, 09:31 AM
What would be cool would be if GW also released a mini 30k rulebook in the HH box set. That would really bring the game to everyone.

They aren't going to release a "starter box" without rules.

Patrick Boyle
04-16-2015, 11:32 AM
I'm not sure there's been much Fantasy product for people to notice. A lot of the End Times rumors also ended up being off with some of the products, so people weren't sure what to look for. So far 40K's been where the action's at with the redirects and all.

There was also the Horus Heresy blank page found a few weeks ago, that became a 404 a few hours after it started making the rounds on the Internet. But that didn't help narrow down a timeline.

What makes me curious is how people know what phrases to even look for? I swear some of these things are showing up before we know what units are called from WD leaks and all. I wonder if someone has access to a GW system and can see upcoming products, but rather than leak that info, they're saying they "found redirects" that they wouldn't otherwise know to look for. (I know the GW store computers get updated ahead of a release, sometimes weeks in advance... one of the very few ways the managers are warned of what's coming.)

For sure. It's one thing to suspect Harlequins or whatever is coming, it's another thing to try to figure out what the units would be named to try to guess at urls. I guess to an extent some of that stuff probably shows up in the fiction, or some things like the Dark Angel Space Marines one that came up a week or two ago is a reasonable guess since it matches the Blood Angels marine box... but I think the insider explanation is more likely for more out there things, like Skitarii units and the like.

phoenix01
04-16-2015, 02:54 PM

So do I.

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
04-17-2015, 02:46 AM
As do I. :p

Mr Mystery
04-17-2015, 04:08 AM
Hmm..

New Forgeworld bundle deals release (http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Forge__World_Bundles?page=1) at the same time they are retiring some existing ones with a 'last chance' page. (http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/LAST_CHANCE_BUNDLES)

Yet no infantry sets being retired. Including the 10 man, £68.00 a chuck ones.

Not terribly indicative of a cheaper plastic option coming.....

Kirsten
04-17-2015, 04:13 AM
no particular reason to drop their infantry bundles though, even after plastic ones come out.

Mr Mystery
04-17-2015, 05:07 AM
Not sure I agree there....

If what we get in the alleged HH plastic set is power armour, it will likely be a single Mk. And with that out, I don't see much call for FW's equivalent.

I dunno. I know I'm being quite negative here about the chances of there being a plastic HH set, but it's just not sitting right with me. Still happy to be proved wrong though!

Erik Setzer
04-17-2015, 05:13 AM
Has GW ever put anything about to be replaced on sale? I get that FW's done it sometimes with books, but that's a bit different.

This is the company that keeps product on the shelves right up to the point it's replaced, even after WD has shown the replacement. Or, in the case of some items, they keep it on the shelf, like the resin Wracks, until they sell their stock.

Kirsten
04-17-2015, 05:19 AM
rumour has the HH set being a mix of armour marks though. regardless, Forge World still sells super heavy tanks that have plastic alternatives, so why stop selling infantry bundles?

Mr Mystery
04-17-2015, 05:24 AM
Suppose.

Like I said, it's just not sitting right with me this one.

Plus, HH before Warhammer 9th? Not 100% sure on that either.

Erik Setzer
04-17-2015, 07:34 AM
Well, HH is a very popular line, part of their flagship game. It would give them a nice sales boost right now (and they might feel they need it, or actually need it... can't know until some kind of report comes out in a few months).

There's also the issue that they have quite a bit of End Times stock sitting around. Sure, they could repackage the softcover fluff books and just sell them by themselves (or in a bundle) for people who want the End Times story. But there's still hardcover copies of Thanquol and Archaon in their warehouse (and on some store shelves... heck, there's hardcover Archaon not just at the local GW, but also at an indy store I went to last weekend). Once they drop 9th edition, the rules in those books quite possibly become worthless (at least for those who stick to the latest edition of the game), and that would leave them with all those books they haven't been able to move. And you know what happens to books that aren't moved? The covers are torn off to destroy their value, and they're chucked in the trash. Complete write-off. Can't be a good look, and probably isn't an insignificant loss.

So it could make business sense to push HH now, and hold off with WFB9, especially as they haven't officially announced 9th and might hold out hope that people don't know it's coming.

To that end, that's another point... There's been no hints of a new WFB edition, no posters or anything, and with them looking to revitalize the game and introduce a new Warhammer world and all, you'd think they'd have posters hinting at it at least 2-3 weeks in advance, kind of like 40K 7th edition.

musical-fool
05-01-2015, 05:29 AM
It might just be me but I am slightly worried about the plastic HH models having seen the latest Ad Mech releases for may.

Look at the automaton compared to the castellax, the GW ones do look like a *******ised, simpler version. I just hope the same doesn't happen the the marks of armour for the SM...

Kirsten
05-01-2015, 05:32 AM
no reason why it would, GW have been making amazing plastic marine armour for years.

the GW robots are not Castellax, they are different units with a different aesthetic. I am not a huge fan either, but it doesn't have any bearing on the quality of what they can do. I've no doubt GW could make plastic Castellax if they wanted to that looked the same, these new bots were designed to be different.

Mr Mystery
05-01-2015, 05:40 AM
Mechanicum had better toys during the Heresy. MUCH better toys, so it makes sense that the Kastellans are 'well, close enough' replacements for the original Castellax. Definite common design cues, just a lower-tech version.

Path Walker
05-01-2015, 05:40 AM
Fluff wise, they really fit well, the Kastelan is the original design found, pre Great Crusade, the Castellax was then used (its specifically stated to just be the newest in the line of Castellan class robots) in the Great Crusade because it was the most adaptable and best war robot they had, after the Heresy, the Castellax designs were lost, the newly formed Mechanicum needed some battle robots and so went back to the old, simpler and more crude Kastelan, which has to be hand fed instructions via data wafer rather than having them fed in through the noosphere like the Castellax.

Erik Setzer
05-01-2015, 08:06 AM
Mechanicum had better toys during the Heresy. MUCH better toys, so it makes sense that the Kastellans are 'well, close enough' replacements for the original Castellax. Definite common design cues, just a lower-tech version.

Yeah, it's one thing that's been a constant in the 40K fluff, even if it never really made sense, that the Imperium has slipped backwards in technology from the 31st millennium. It might not have been *quite* as bad in the past (Jetbikes were still a thing for more than one guy), but it's always been this weird thing where even the same equipment and stuff has taken a noticeable step backwards. The only thing that seems to progress is Space Marine armor.

Path Walker
05-01-2015, 08:23 AM
Yeah, its completely unprecedented to a civilisation to stagnate and decline over time, letting technology fall by the way side as they become less able to recreate the wonders of the past, never in human history has this ever happened, mankind have never fallen into such a Dark Age.

Bigred
07-15-2015, 11:44 AM
via "Mikhael" 7-15-2015

Horus Heresy plastic boxed set is coming and is scheduled for November 2015

Kirsten
07-15-2015, 11:59 AM
*crosses all fingers and toes*

I was just wondering last night where these rumours had gone to.

40kGamer
07-15-2015, 12:06 PM
I was afraid someone misinterpreted AoS as 30k.... glad this is still in the rumormill cause early Armour Marks in plastic would be awesome!

Erik Setzer
07-15-2015, 12:42 PM
Stop taunting me, you... gits!

Bleh. Guess I'll wait until later in the year before I commit too much money to 30K. Though I'm not sure the breach squads would be converted to plastic that early, so it might be okay to grab some of them for now.

Kirsten
07-15-2015, 01:40 PM
just get breacher squad upgrades ready to stick on plastic marines

http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Warhammer-40000/Space_Marines/Space_Marine-Infantry-and-Accessories/SPACE_MARINE_BOARDING_ASSAULT_UPGRADE_SET.html

Alaric
07-15-2015, 01:40 PM
Stop taunting me, you... gits!

Couldn't agree more. Still think its a load of BS tho.

Mr Mystery
07-15-2015, 01:58 PM
Rumour monger, if it's the same guy from Dakka had good info about AoS, unlike everyone else except Harry. So perhaps a low sodium substitute for this one?

Path Walker
07-15-2015, 02:51 PM
Hobbit and all LotR stock will be of the shelves and direct only, they're replacing it with. A Horus heresy game, but won't compete with 40k directly

Bigred
07-15-2015, 02:54 PM
Thanks Path Walker. Would you like us to source that to you?

Path Walker
07-15-2015, 02:55 PM
You can but I've been known to invent rumours for a lark. This one isn't invented though. Horus Heresy is coming for Christmas.

Erik Setzer
07-15-2015, 09:43 PM
just get breacher squad upgrades ready to stick on plastic marines

http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Warhammer-40000/Space_Marines/Space_Marine-Infantry-and-Accessories/SPACE_MARINE_BOARDING_ASSAULT_UPGRADE_SET.html

Does that look right? Are there images I can see online?

I'm hoping to have Mark III Tactical Squads for my army eventually, they seem to fit the Iron Warriors best IMO. If those make the cut for plastic, I'll be happy.

Kirsten
07-16-2015, 10:12 AM
Horus Heresy is coming for Christmas.

if this isn't true I will have to devour your soul.

40kGamer
07-16-2015, 10:17 AM
There'll be a line. :p

Kirsten
07-16-2015, 11:31 AM
too late, I called it.

Thaldin
07-16-2015, 03:14 PM
I'll just happily sit back and watch the devouring.

deinol
07-20-2015, 09:41 AM
Do we have any idea when AoS will take a break and 40k stuff will be released again? September? October? It's been pretty quiet on the rumor front since Dark Angels.

40kGamer
07-20-2015, 10:02 AM
Do we have any idea when AoS will take a break and 40k stuff will be released again? September? October? It's been pretty quiet on the rumor front since Dark Angels.

I'm cool if they take a massive 40k break. That being said from a corporate prospective I think this year's releases will track with how well AoS is received at large. If it is a big success I expect them to follow it up with more AoS releases, if it debuts a little soft I suspect they have some high value 40k releases they can use to prop up the bottom line and satisfy investors.

Path Walker
07-20-2015, 10:10 AM
Tau will be next for 40K, not sure they'll get much new though, possibly just another "Codex and Cards" codex release. Looking like October for that, Age of Sigmar has a lot to get through release-wise.

They have a few years of releases planned, more campaign books like the first one will tell the story as it unfolds across the Realms, they're sticking with it and pushing it hard, if in a few years time its not looking like its working, they'll reassess but for now they're going full tilt at it.

40kGamer
07-20-2015, 10:14 AM
I'm seriously pulling for AoS to be a hit as I think it has the potential to generate more innovation and new stuff than the standard rehashing of armies in 40k. That being said I really, really want them to actually get through a full codex cycle using the same design philosophy this time and I worry that the longer 40k is shelved the more likely we are to see a direction change before they do!

Erik Setzer
07-20-2015, 10:49 AM
I'm seriously pulling for AoS to be a hit as I think it has the potential to generate more innovation and new stuff than the standard rehashing of armies in 40k. That being said I really, really want them to actually get through a full codex cycle using the same design philosophy this time and I worry that the longer 40k is shelved the more likely we are to see a direction change before they do!

For them to use the same design philosophy they'd have to go back and redo some of the first 7th edition codices. They changed the philosophy within the first year of 7th edition releases. I don't think they're going to get through an entire cycle with the same philosophy. They'd have to rush through them before they change their ideas, and do new versions of very recent books. And with no new models to release alongside the codices, I doubt that's going to happen.

40kGamer
07-20-2015, 12:33 PM
For them to use the same design philosophy they'd have to go back and redo some of the first 7th edition codices. They changed the philosophy within the first year of 7th edition releases. I don't think they're going to get through an entire cycle with the same philosophy. They'd have to rush through them before they change their ideas, and do new versions of very recent books. And with no new models to release alongside the codices, I doubt that's going to happen.

History is definitely on your side. They've not managed to keep the same design philosophy for a full update cycle in forever so there's no reason to expect it now.