PDA

View Full Version : Multiple transports for 1 unit

Sean McIntire
02-11-2015, 03:02 AM
So after seeing the harlequin Starweaver I'm a little disappointed with the 6 model limit. I was wondering If I could take 2 transport for 1 12 man troupe as long as I kept them within 2in of eachother?

gredert
02-11-2015, 06:04 PM
I assume not, same as a vendetta holds 6 but I cant use 2 to transport my 10 stormtroopers

Charistoph
02-11-2015, 06:41 PM
Transport rules state that you cannot Embark a partial unit. It's the last sentence of the first paragraph of Vehicles > Transports > Transport Capacity.

Rev. Tiberius Jackhammer
02-11-2015, 06:42 PM
No, I'm pretty sure that a unit cannot be "split" like that.

If it's any consolation, most flexible players would probably be okay with accepting that as a houserule. Sometimes the unit coherency rules can be a bit limiting.

Badtucker
02-11-2015, 06:59 PM
I laugh at the disappointment.
How do you not know what a venom is for dark elder. Essentially the same thing.

DarkLink
02-11-2015, 07:27 PM
Maybe he's new to the game. Maybe he thinks it's silly that you can't transport a whole unit of Harlequins. There's a fair number of perfectly rational reasons he could be irritated about the new transports that do not warrant a condescending response.

Rev. Tiberius Jackhammer
02-11-2015, 09:42 PM
How do you not know what a venom is for dark elder. Essentially the same thing.Well, the Venom is a minor transport in a relatively minor race. Not that crazy that someone wouldn't be familiar with the oddities of tiny transports like that, what with most transported units in the game being "Marines in Rhinos".

Reldane
02-12-2015, 05:03 AM
I laugh at the disappointment.
How do you not know what a venom is for dark elder. Essentially the same thing.

the dark eldar do have a larger transport by way of the raider. the haliquins might have access to Eldar/Dark eldar vehicles but then again they might not (given this is games workshop who still don't see a problem with the Valkaries missiles).

Badtucker
02-12-2015, 06:40 AM
sorry by the way Sean McIntire ... didnt mean to sound so condescending ... some how it came out that way. :o
anyway i ment i feel the pain of the tiny transports that cant take a full unit and that it sucks somewhat, but gotta learn to get along with it i spose. I hope harlies get access to some othre things.. we will see in what.. a week ?

(possibly shouldn't post again at 1am )

Dave Mcturk
02-12-2015, 07:14 AM
the transport restrictions and unit sizes for most codex make very little sense.

but given the crazy underscaling of most vehicles its a minor issue

as an eldar player i would love to have the flexibility to take squads of 12 as that is the transport capacity of a serpent or to turn a vyper into an alternative 'light' transport

as a DE player i find it perplexing that raiders are restricted to ten - when again 12 would be a more rational number for DE codex restrictions

and again as a marine player [although the rhino chassis is probably the most underscaled of all vehicle models - especially if someone has the 'honey i shrunk the rhino' models] i dont get why they cant take 12 in a rhino and maybe 7 or 8 in a razorback

not seen the new-cron codex up close and personal yet - but one of the issues was always with the very tight squad sizes for some of their units -

orkzez, nidz and imperial guard get 30 model blobs - not sure why kabalites or guardians even - dont get the same choice !

Charistoph
02-12-2015, 11:49 AM
not seen the new-cron codex up close and personal yet - but one of the issues was always with the very tight squad sizes for some of their units -

Well, the Ghost Ark has 5 ribs with two Warriors a piece, so, there's that.

And the Night Scythe (from a fluff perspective) doesn't actually carry them inside, but beams them in from another area. Apparently the Platform it can beam from or the transmission bandwidth cannot fit more than 15 models.

Haighus
02-12-2015, 05:29 PM
Maybe the teleportation technology doesn't have enough power to safely transport more than 15 models?

40kGamer
02-12-2015, 05:40 PM
For giggles (and totally outside the rules) I'll let people pay an upcharge to put mini webways on their Harlequin transports so they can bring a full squad of 12.

Charistoph
02-12-2015, 07:00 PM
Maybe the teleportation technology doesn't have enough power to safely transport more than 15 models?

I would think that's part of the transmission bandwidth, but it could be other factors, too.

But it's rather odd that the Eternity Gate could conceivably bring a much much larger amount. How many models can I fit in a 6-7" radius semi-oblong? But I guess the dense Monolith has a lot more room for a bigger power supply than a fragile fighter.