PDA

View Full Version : how do you make formations

Sean McIntire
02-06-2015, 12:36 AM
Lets say the formation says you need 1 of unit A, 2-4 of unit B, and 0-4 of unit C. I take 1 unit A, 3 of unit B, 2 of unit C, and 1 of unit D. Sense unit D is not mentioned in the formation dose taking it mean that I no longer benefit from the formations special rules?

Archon Charybdis
02-08-2015, 03:38 PM
Lets say the formation says you need 1 of unit A, 2-4 of unit B, and 0-4 of unit C. I take 1 unit A, 3 of unit B, 2 of unit C, and 1 of unit D. Sense unit D is not mentioned in the formation dose taking it mean that I no longer benefit from the formations special rules?

Taking Unit D would make your list unbound, unless unit D happened to fit into some other detachment in your overall list. The Formation would still benefit from all of it's unique rules (because that's the whole point, and unique feature of Formations), but Unit D wouldn't benefit from any detachment special rules because it isn't part of any detachment. Other than that I'm unaware of any particular drawbacks to your army as a whole if you're going Unbound. Don't have my book handy for reference, but I'm about 95% on that.

Charistoph
02-09-2015, 09:27 AM
Taking Unit D would make your list unbound, unless unit D happened to fit into some other detachment in your overall list. The Formation would still benefit from all of it's unique rules (because that's the whole point, and unique feature of Formations), but Unit D wouldn't benefit from any detachment special rules because it isn't part of any detachment. Other than that I'm unaware of any particular drawbacks to your army as a whole if you're going Unbound. Don't have my book handy for reference, but I'm about 95% on that.

Pretty much this.

There is also a question of if Unit D allows the army to fit in another detachment FOC or another Formation for question of Unbound.

But if specifically organized as originally stated in the original post, then the Archon is completely correct.