PDA

View Full Version : Has Anybody Made a Whirlwind Less...Rhino?

Dark_Templar
02-16-2010, 03:44 PM
I am wanting to pick up a Whirlwind, but am not a fan of the current model, as I feel it should be more than just missiles on a rhino.

Has anybody made any conversions, even minor ones, just to make it stand out or a little different?

Any help would be appreciated.

fuzzbuket
02-16-2010, 04:04 PM
there's a cool pic in collected visions in the IF warfleet which is a RT rhino but the top righthand corner is the pod!

xomntec
02-17-2010, 10:23 AM
If you get an immolator upgrade sprue, if gives you piece you mount on top of the rhino chassis that changes the vertical flow of the vehicle. You can also mount the missile launcher forwards on the vehicle. The missile turret is just the smallest bit too small, but some filing fixes that. That part doesn't have any sister' iconography (there is a fleur de lis "topper", but you can flip it and have the blank side facing up).

Madness
02-17-2010, 10:57 AM
But... it IS a rhino. It's a rhino with a missile launcher, how else can you make it look?

Akkon Sek
02-17-2010, 11:31 AM
1/48 Tamiya Sd.Kfz 250 with the Whirlwind launcher. Need to seal off the top with plasticard and utilize a Razorback/Predator turret ring.

Not half as goofy as it sounds. Maybe it is... but I like it a lot.

No pix (at work). Will upload in about 8.

Lerra
02-17-2010, 12:24 PM
But... it IS a rhino. It's a rhino with a missile launcher, how else can you make it look?

The Predator is also a rhino with extra guns, but it manages to look pretty cool. I think there is a way to pull it off. Even adding the extra plating from the Vindicator kit or Predator kit would be an easy improvement. The area between the missiles and the tank chasis seems a bit wimpy. Adding a more rubust turret would probably fix the issue.

Madness
02-17-2010, 01:37 PM
I don't know, I personally think that the whirlwind is supposed to look wimpy, after all, it is. What happened to wysiwyg?

Akkon Sek
02-17-2010, 02:06 PM
Wasn't aware you were requesting modification of an existing GW kit.

I'm definitely not a "must be GW" strict WYSIWYG guy, so ignore my suggestion.

Dark_Templar
02-17-2010, 03:52 PM
I am also not hardcore WYSIWYG.

I would however like to simply convert the current Whirlwind model into something that looks less jarring. Anyways, I am loving some of the suggestions and the SoB one is a definite possibility.

Anyways, thanks for the help all.

faolan
02-17-2010, 09:11 PM
Side mount the missile pods, so that they're slung under a sponson, ala the Pred's side cannons.

Or you could sink them in at about a 30 degree angle to the upper deck, so they're entirely internal - but if you do this, you'll need to modify the back ramp to something that looks like it could be opened to expel gas.

Bulwark
02-18-2010, 09:19 AM
I did a conversion several years ago with a chimera and a whirlwind pod. It was for an Adeptus Arbites exorcist, but would work as a whirlwind.
http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2007/05/vehicles-of-teh-adeptus-arbites.html

Dark_Templar
02-18-2010, 03:44 PM
I like them. Look better than stock standard.

I really like the side sponson idea, but would need to work out how to incorporate something to the top still for the sake of showing where I would ordinarily fire from (would not make a conversion and then try and expect my opponent to agree to let me shoot from somewhere non-standard). Maybe a radar dish or something, could be fun.

chromedog
02-21-2010, 09:12 PM
I just use the box launchers I made for my original RT Whirlwinds (when there was NO model and you had to make your own from a WD template).

One 40mm square monster base, some plasticard and gubbins and et voila.

Looks more MLRS than the quad missile launcher thingy the current one is.

Shadow Queen
02-22-2010, 07:18 AM
there is always the FW conversion kits

Akkon Sek
02-22-2010, 09:23 PM
This was my solution. Half-finished at this point. Requires detailing. Quick shot for a friend, hence horrific pic quality.

1:48 Panzer IV, Razorback turret ring, Whirlwind turret.

http://img696.imageshack.us/img696/2016/dscn6128o.jpg

Dark_Templar
02-22-2010, 11:05 PM
Nice.

That is what I imagine they should look like.

Sir Biscuit
02-22-2010, 11:56 PM
I... just... I...

GODDAMMIT YES

Aldramelech
02-23-2010, 02:35 AM
Goodbye

Akkon Sek
02-23-2010, 08:14 AM
Dude, Thats a Pz11D and from the size of the figs behind it I'd say its 1/35th

Those zombies behind are actually on the small side of 25mm. Barely 25mm actually. Its an optical illusion.

Mentally move that marine in the background closer... you'll see what I mean. To your point however, the kit was an Ebay special made by some Russian company I've never heard of and its paper thin (read: crap). I guarantee their scale is not 100% accurate. It actually is closer to 1/48 than 1/35. But could go either way.

You're absolutely right about the Pz11 though. Was dog-tired when I posted. Sheesh, sorry! :)

Edit: I stand fully corrected. Found the Ebay order and even the crap company (ICM) says it is 1:35.

I... I can't take this pressure anymore! I'm just not going to post ever again! Can't just say it's cool, can you?! Perfectionist!

/emo

Madness
02-23-2010, 08:17 AM
I guess I like the rhino chassis.

Aldramelech
02-23-2010, 10:52 AM
goodbye

Dark_Templar
02-23-2010, 03:25 PM
Hrm, I think I have found my inspiration to give this a go.

Lane
02-25-2010, 01:05 PM
How about a lo profile Rhino variant?

Remove the entire crew compartment an mount the launcher to the floor like an MLRS or Chaparall

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/systems/ground/images/mlrs_05-s.jpg
http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/systems/ground/m730.htm

--
Lane

Dark_Templar
02-25-2010, 04:01 PM
How about a lo profile Rhino variant?

Remove the entire crew compartment an mount the launcher to the floor like an MLRS or Chaparall

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/systems/ground/images/mlrs_05-s.jpg
http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/systems/ground/m730.htm

--
Lane

I actually did consider this, and then having some sort of antennas coming up to the height the launchers would ordinarily be, for line of sight etc.

odinsgrandson
02-26-2010, 10:36 AM
I guess I like the rhino chassis.

Nothing wrong with that. But there's also a whole world of other things you could do.

Personally I would like to try adding in some of the bits from the Vindicator Sprue- the extra armor makes it look a little less like a stock rhino without really changing it into something else.

Shadow Queen
02-26-2010, 11:18 AM
And making it look re-enforced

Ugly74
04-24-2010, 02:28 AM
I like that MLRS idea.....

*reaching for that stray rhino chassis and razor saw....

FastEd
04-25-2010, 04:26 AM
While I don't mind the whirlwind as is, I certainly understand the urge to make it look cooler as it is a little lacking when compared to some of the other rhino chassis based tanks.

Me? I think it comes down to the mounting between the rhino body and the missile system itself. The turret bit seems a bit...frail? I love the idea that was brought up by Lane to just scrap everything behind the cab and mount the missiles there. Would be nice to see the missile racks still able rotate, maybe mounted on a squared off platform, or an octagon to mimic the circle they are normally on. Wouldn't be to difficult if you had already gone down the road of removing the rear compartment. Just drill hole, add mounting platform with peg.