PDA

View Full Version : WIP - 3d printed Warhound Titan

Joao David Silva Teixeira
01-30-2015, 09:11 AM
Hey guys and gals

I'm currently working on a 3d printable warhound titan. This is loosely based on the lucius pattern, since it's more straight angled and therefore, the stepping is less noticeable.
This was designed to be printed on homebrew FDM 3d printers (in my case a leapfrog creatr) and has 73 parts.

A few renders (note, some parts have been changed in the final version, but as an overall, is similar)

Spy_Smasher
01-30-2015, 04:02 PM
The render looks terrific.

What's the precision of your printer and how does that compare to a printing service like Shapeways?

01-30-2015, 04:44 PM
My printer's precision is severely inferior to the equipment Shapeways has, but the model was made with that in mind, to minimize the flaws that might need further fixing. Also, since this is such a big model, the scale of the details is also bigger.

First batch of parts

- - - Updated - - -

Early assembly of the leg parts

- - - Updated - - -

Main assembly primed and ready for gap filling and sanding

- - - Updated - - -

Current mocked up assembly. Thanks to a measurement error, the cowl is being reprinted. So, in this assembly there are missing 3 pieces, the leg guards and the neck cowl

Kirsten
01-30-2015, 05:16 PM
very impressive

Darren Richardson
01-30-2015, 05:30 PM
wow for a WIP 3D printed Titan, that's damned impressive, even for a 3D printer designed for home use like your's is, it is an amazingly detailed design, this is something I'm starting to look into for myself, though I'll be more interested ib replacement parts for broken figures and scenery....

01-30-2015, 05:41 PM
wow for a WIP 3D printed Titan, that's damned impressive, even for a 3D printer designed for home use like your's is, it is an amazingly detailed design, this is something I'm starting to look into for myself, though I'll be more interested ib replacement parts for broken figures and scenery....

Darren, if you haven't bought a printer yet and, have a large(ish) budget ($3000) and your main goal is to make stuff to use in regular 28mm (not titans or similarly sized stuff) or smaller scale, your best bet would probably be a SLA printer, like formlabs' form1+. It prints with a lot of detail and with a stepping so small, it's not noticeable at all. These FDM printers I'm using don't really deal well with small details at all.

gwensdad
01-30-2015, 08:24 PM
The amount of want is strong in me right now.

This has been a desire of mine for awhile.

Darren Richardson
01-31-2015, 04:25 AM
Darren, if you haven't bought a printer yet and, have a large(ish) budget ($3000) and your main goal is to make stuff to use in regular 28mm (not titans or similarly sized stuff) or smaller scale, your best bet would probably be a SLA printer, like formlabs' form1+. It prints with a lot of detail and with a stepping so small, it's not noticeable at all. These FDM printers I'm using don't really deal well with small details at all.

thanks for the advice, I'll look into one.

02-06-2015, 04:30 AM
Currently assembled. only some final detailing required and it's off to painting