PDA

View Full Version : Flat Terrain Cover Saves

Mobious
02-14-2010, 03:38 PM
An infantry squad is standing on a completely flat rock, no trees, no boulders, or anything else that would block LoS. Does the squad receive a cover save?

I say yes, because from my understanding if you are in area terrain you receive a cover save. But my buddy's say that you do not because there is noting hiding the models. I feel stupid asking the question because the answer seems so obvious to me, but I cannot seem to prove so to others. So what is it?

ColCorbane
02-14-2010, 03:50 PM
It depends of whether you classed it as area terrain at the start of the game mate, if you did, you would have given it a cover save value and decided if it was also difficult/dangerous terrain.

If you didn't, then it's clear terrain and you get no save.

BuFFo
02-14-2010, 04:31 PM
An infantry squad is standing on a completely flat rock, no trees, no boulders, or anything else that would block LoS. Does the squad receive a cover save?

I say yes, because from my understanding if you are in area terrain you receive a cover save. But my buddy's say that you do not because there is noting hiding the models. I feel stupid asking the question because the answer seems so obvious to me, but I cannot seem to prove so to others. So what is it?

Before the game, it is only area terrain if you and opponent agreed on it being so.

If not, there is no difference between the flat terrain of the table top and terrain you place on the table besides blocking LOS.

Nabterayl
02-14-2010, 05:00 PM
Yeah, you and your buddies are both citing the rules correctly, you just haven't agreed on the facts beforehand. Nothing in 5e is area terrain by default. Before every battle, you have to agree what is area terrain and what is not. If the rock was agreed to be area terrain then you would be right; if not, then your buddies are right.

RocketRollRebel
02-14-2010, 05:01 PM
As everyone else said, depends on what you both agreed on before hand. I always say yes. I call most everything 4+ area difficult terrain for the sake of minimizing arguments and keeping it simple. Just always always always discuss terrain before the game starts! 90% of arguments stem from terrain issues.

Mobious
02-14-2010, 05:24 PM
Nice, thanks for the help guys.

SeattleDV8
02-14-2010, 10:55 PM
Unless you had the unit ' Go to Ground' which would give the unit a 6+ cover save no matter what the terrain was.

pgarfunkle
02-15-2010, 03:13 AM
Going to ground gives you +1 to the available cover save. So if you were in area terrain that would normally grant 4+ it becomes 3+. If there is no available cover save going to ground provides a 6+ to represent the troops eating dirt or other evasion tactic.

mercer
02-15-2010, 07:47 AM
The real question is when moving over these rocks did you take difficult terrain test? If yes then you get a cover save because you've moved through terrain, which gives you a cover save. If no you didn't then no cover save.

Nabterayl
02-15-2010, 10:53 AM
Difficult Terrain is no longer area terrain by default. You really do have to agree that something is area terrain before the game.

mercer
02-16-2010, 05:38 AM
I know, but when I play all area terrain is classed as giving cover saves. These are building bases, rock formations etc. We play if you take a difficult terrain test then it gives cover save - even if a open area terrain part. Though the open terrain only tends to be the base of a building.

Dooley
02-19-2010, 09:54 PM
Difficult Terrain is no longer area terrain by default. You really do have to agree that something is area terrain before the game.

That is a good point! Imagine a template of Banana peels; although difficult to traverse, would not provide much cover!