PDA

View Full Version : Death Korps or every Detachment of IG

therealjohnny5
02-14-2010, 08:34 AM
Hey guys, So i'm looking ahead to my next army as i'm making progress with my RG. And i've decided on IG i think. So here i am thinking do i want to go all DKK or have units from every detachment of IG meaning: Cadian, Catachan, Voystran, DKK, etc, etc....The opportunity to paint a lot of different styles is appealing if i went with various units, however there is a certain lack of continuity in the army look on field, but then i guess that would be the appeal with that method....

As for the DKK i love those models and their fluff. So vote away and tell me what you think...thx mates!

Renegade
02-14-2010, 09:38 AM
DKK all the way, they are excellent models and if you are into detailed painting you can make them very different from each other.

One thing though, does your area allow you to use forgeworld rules or are you going to make them as C:IG as possible?

RocketRollRebel
02-14-2010, 09:57 AM
Dkok would be awesome to see. A lot of people that I've seen start them and have a couple units but never take it all the way. Go even further and make it a inf list. No mech vet cop outs! Make that wallet scream!

mrphatman
02-14-2010, 10:07 AM
if money and time are in great supply go for dkk i'd love to have one but i'm short on money and patience:rolleyes:

therealjohnny5
02-14-2010, 10:21 AM
DKK all the way, they are excellent models and if you are into detailed painting you can make them very different from each other.

One thing though, does your area allow you to use forgeworld rules or are you going to make them as C:IG as possible?

yeah in my friendly group. But then i can run them standard list too with little problem...

if money and time are in great supply go for dkk i'd love to have one but i'm short on money and patience:rolleyes:

i'm just short....

Aldramelech
02-14-2010, 10:28 AM
Goodbye

Sangre
02-14-2010, 02:41 PM
Mordian!

fortiery
02-14-2010, 03:22 PM
Death Korps for sure! The models are simply amazing! Totally wish I could have made a DkoK army for my guard army.

therealjohnny5
02-15-2010, 07:47 PM
Mordian!

and why would that be?

Col_Festus
02-15-2010, 08:34 PM
Death Korps of Krieg all the way! I'm currently working on a DKOK regiment. I'm starting with mechanized infantry platoons because of the cost of them. Eventually I want to be able to field a siege regiment, C:IG legal of course! DOOOO EEET!

therealjohnny5
02-15-2010, 08:37 PM
what do you think about using the Gorgon DKoK models? do you think they can be separated safely?

Col_Festus
02-16-2010, 06:48 AM
what do you think about using the Gorgon DKoK models? do you think they can be separated safely?

I've actually heard this can be done. Let me see if I can find some of the links...
here is a link to the thread (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97355)

Here is a close up of one of them. I dunno they look a bit mangled to me.. but there you have it.
http://www.warseer.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=26476&d=1186449894

I've been debating this myself just to flesh out the ranks of infantry I have. I'm not sure if its worth it tho. Later in the thread the artist cleans them up a bit and they look halfway decent.

RocketRollRebel
02-16-2010, 07:24 AM
I wondered about that. Those don't look too bad at all and could work nice to flesh out infantry blobs.

Marshal2Crusaders
02-16-2010, 07:59 AM
Play Eldar!!! Marines get everything! Everything!

Lerra
02-16-2010, 08:59 AM
The idea of a mixed-squads army is cool, but on the tabletop it tends to look like you bought the army on ebay haphazardly, rather than carefully selecting one of each detachment. A local player has a Space Marine "one squad of each major chapter" army, and he routinely gets docked points because people assume that he is borrowing models, bought pre-painted models on ebay, or doesn't care about painting, etc. even though they are done to a decent tabletop standard.

DKoK are awesome, too :)

therealjohnny5
02-16-2010, 09:18 AM
judging by what i found over there at warseer, i think a little greenstuff will take care of any damage done and to get that many infantry for that little you can't pass up....

therealjohnny5
02-16-2010, 09:20 AM
The idea of a mixed-squads army is cool, but on the tabletop it tends to look like you bought the army on ebay haphazardly, rather than carefully selecting one of each detachment. A local player has a Space Marine "one squad of each major chapter" army, and he routinely gets docked points because people assume that he is borrowing models, bought pre-painted models on ebay, or doesn't care about painting, etc. even though they are done to a decent tabletop standard.

i think that "haphazard" look was my greatest concern of mixing it up...i like the idea for painting and modeling as each unit could get some great love without me getting to bored, however i couldn't really figure out how to make it cohesive...which is a big deal for me. AAAAAnd i agree, DKoK are awesome...

Majorcrash
02-16-2010, 10:04 AM
I know how you feel, I started out with the old RT IG, but fell in love with Valhallans and now have about 250+ painted army with transports and such. I even did my ogryns with that theme but used the Inquistor game models of the valhallans, there the right size and dont look all dorky. But to be honest could afford to rebuild that army today>

Polonius
02-16-2010, 10:23 AM

There are ways to avoid that look though.

I play most Praetorians, but I have both Tallarn and Catachan platoons. The key is to add some aspect to all the models that tie them together. Firstly and most importantly is basing. An army with a unified and realtively compelx basing scheme will always look more in tune. Secondly is a restricted pallette. Pick a handful of colors that every model uses, and then add one new color for each new regiment. For example, all of my IG have khaki pants, the Praetorians have red tunics, the Tallan Red turbans, and the catachans red bandannas. The Catachans get brown vests/shirts, the Praetorians get yellow trim while the Tallarn get metallic shoulder pads. Each has a splash of color, while they all look more or less unified. The third aspect is a lot more subtle, but actually pays off: use the same washes on key areas. Not only are all of my pants in the army khaki, but they're all washed with the exact same brown, as is all of the skin, etc. All of the rest of the models are washed in black. This helps to make the army look like it's been fighting in the same environment.

Grubbslinger
02-17-2010, 09:01 AM
I would go with a mix simply because its easiyer to build up your army that way. Then again if you going for a "look" you cant beat DKoK. One thing to note about a mixed unit is that you can switch up units to fill special spots. I use catachans to represent my vets while I have Cadian as the regular troops.

sicarius2424
02-18-2010, 10:15 AM
DKK are awsome well pretty much any guard army choice is good but i'm a really fan of DKK,Elysians... well pretty much any IG army thats not sold as plastic by gmes workshop

don't know which one to pick for choices so i'm gunna pic the one "Don't go with DKK or everyone pic ______ instead. (pls post choice and why)" but really anything is good as long as they are IG :P

Duke
02-18-2010, 11:16 AM
Go DKOK all the way! It would look sick! I would give someone full points just for buying the stinkin' thing. yes it would be expensive, but if you just build one 1850 tournie list and stop at that you would be good to go.

Duke

Valkerie
02-18-2010, 01:10 PM
Go DKoK. That way you can logically add Commander Chenkov. His tactic of throwing troops at the problem until there's no one left would fit in well with the DKoK tactic of throwing troops at the problem until there's no one left.

therealjohnny5
02-18-2010, 01:13 PM
Go DKOK all the way! It would look sick! I would give someone full points just for buying the stinkin' thing. yes it would be expensive, but if you just build one 1850 tournie list and stop at that you would be good to go.

Duke

"if...." haha. Duke, you silly man.

Legoklods
02-18-2010, 02:14 PM
IG, very original. (SARCASM!!!11!)

Play Dark Eldar.:cool:

Duke
02-18-2010, 03:02 PM
Yea, I know... the IF is a big one. Still though, go big or go Warmachine!

GW Motto: Why buy one when you can get two for twice the price?!
Forgeworld Motto: Why buy ten when you can get five for twice the price?!

Duke

RogueGarou
02-19-2010, 06:53 AM
I started in 2E and really liked all five of the classic regiments but the Cadians were the one that appealed to me just a little more than the others. In the long run, that turned out to be a good thing since they have gotten the most love. If you are going to do a Guard army and want the really cool looking FW models, then Krieg or Tallarn are the way to go. Personally, I don't care for the aesthetic of either one because of the weapons. The Krieg lasguns remind me of BAR's and the FW Tallarn rifles remind me of the Tusken Raiders in Star Wars too much.

I don't care for the Elysians so much but that is because the grav chutes did not strike my fancy and some of the models looked a little off for some reason. Just personal taste. However, some of their weapons looked awesome to me. Before the new Codex came out, I was going to give my sergeants, officers, and radio operators all the bullpup lasguns. I used to always field my sergeants with lasguns but now I will have to use CCW and laspistol instead. My old metal Cadians are used as sergeants and corporals in my squads or as vets.

It really comes down to what era you like the most. The Krieg guys are WW1 style, Catachans have the Vietnam-era down, Tallarn and Valhallan do the WW2 look, Praetorians go for the 1800's Zulu War era uniform and so on. Krieg would look great on the table. Personally, I just don't like the WW1 feel from the rifles and big iron-wrapped wheels. Everyone does Cadians so I would say go any other army. One badthing about the Krieg would be if you wanted to do any converting. I have had some fragile resin from FW and it looks like there are some real concerns if you decide to do any converting. On the plus side, though, I can't think of any coverting you would have to do since they have a decent variety of models and plenty of options already.

therealjohnny5
02-19-2010, 04:06 PM
yeah that was part of my thinking. there would probably be little converting needed as they already look pretty good. just some command conversions maybe. I think i'm going to go with Dukes suggestion and settle on a rough 2K pts as we tend to play 1500 or 2K pts here....so now i'll need help on the list...suggestions of a core 1000 pts?