PDA

View Full Version : Seeking Advice Over a Design Issue for 3D Printing: Rivets?

Spy_Smasher
01-14-2015, 03:27 PM
I'd be curious of the opinion of experienced 3d modelers on the following:

I've started designing a turret of my own for use on my Razorbacks. I don't like either GW's or FW's and want to use my own pattern. Having some experience in CAD, it seems like designing one to my own preferences would be an fun project.

So far it's been exactly that and when I'm done I plan on sending it off to shapeways, not having access to a printer locally. Obviously, I want to save as much time and cost in prototyping as possible. My question is about rivets.

I know I'm going to have to do some finish sanding when I get the models back from printing to make them ready for paint. Is it worth modelling the rivets on in CAD or should I just keep the turrets "smooth" and add the rivets on after they've been printed (like I would do with a scratchbuild)? Will I just end up sanding off all my 3D printed rivets?

Thanks

Darren Richardson
01-14-2015, 05:08 PM
the best option IMHO is to keep it smooth and model them on afterwards, beacuse most likely you will end up sanding off the rivets, god only knows how many I've damaged on the proper plastic models....

Meph
01-15-2015, 04:04 AM
Orrr... have no rivets at all? Space Marine Vehicles are relatively rivetless anyhow. And even in contemporary times, engineers are making rivetless tanks since before WW2. Rivets are weak points in any armour.

Morgrim
01-15-2015, 09:11 AM
Rivets are one of the simpler things to add to a tank later on. Leave them off. Either you'll end up sanding them flat and have to fix them, or you'll spend so much time sanding around them that putting new ones on would be quicker.

Spy_Smasher
01-15-2015, 10:22 AM
Thanks guys. I think I'm going to take that advice.