PDA

View Full Version : [40k Review] Black Tide - James Swallow

wittdooley
02-13-2010, 12:30 AM
Black Tide marks James Swallow's fourth endeavor (fifth if you include Heart of Rage) into the literary world of the Blood Angels. Previously, he introduced us to Rafen in Deus Sanguinius and Deus Encarmine, two books recounting the Arkio Insurrection, and most recently Red Fury, detailing the aftermath of the insurrection and the disastrous attempts at cloning by a Blood Angels' apothecary. I have previously very much enjoyed Swallow's Blood Angels books and Black Tide was no different.

Following Red Fury, Black Tide finds Rafen and his squad searching for the elusive Fabius Bile in attempts to recover a stolen vial of the blood of Sanguinius. This search for Bile leads them to the death world of Dynikas V, home to Bile's secret lair and untold horrors. Without divulging too much information, the plot of Black Tide moves remarkably well. There are seldom any dull moments; even the planning aspects of the mission are interesting, as we get to see the contrary natures of Rafen's Blood Angels contrasted with Brother Noxx of the Flesh Tearers, and his cadre of warriors. Fight scenes are brutal and intense, as any good novel concerning the Adeptus Astartes should be, and are placed throughout the novel in the appropriate volume; there isn't too much that it's gratuitous, but when we have battle scenes, they are certainly worth it.

As I previously mentioned, the uneasy kinship between the Blood Angels and the Flesh Tearers is also a point of great interest in Black Tide. In Red Fury, Swallow did an admirable job of establishing the differences between the Blood Angels and their Flesh Tearer cousins, and we see it even more here. Noxx and his brothers are more apt to rush in, fangs ready, whereas Rafen acts with a bit more restraint. The juxtaposition of the two really works, and creates for some nice scenes. In addition, Swallow explores the more human nature of the Space Marine in this book; for me it was really unexpected, but really welcome. Often we see the Astartes as these infallible, indomitable warriors--and they are--but in Black Tide Swallow shows that even Space Marines can have their limits pushed when they're up against their wall, most particularly when they're on Dynikas V.

The action really sets off when the plot finds our characters on Dynikas V. There, our protagonists face not only Bile, but tyranids, androgynous beings, mutants, and the perils of Space Marines in a submarine. Yup, a submarine. After writing that, it does all sound like a bit much (and perhaps it is) but it doesn't feel overwhelming when placed within the story. However, it does tend to give Fabius Bile a bit of a "Bond villian" feel, which some people may take objection to.

Overall, Black Tide was a really, really enjoyable read. If you haven't read Swallow's previous Blood Angel works, you may be a bit lost in terms of characterization, though he does a good job of summing things up early. Swallow is quickly becoming one of my favorite Black Library authors. He's prose is interesting without being overly cliche', he does a fantastic job creating characters that are likable, and his plots offer enough twists and turns to keep the reader interested. I wholeheartedly recommend Black Tide and eagerly anticipate Swallow's next foray into Rafen's universe.

The Good
+ Great Characters, smooth, fun plot
+ Nice twists keep the action interesting.

The Bad
- Fabius Bile can, at times, feel like a Bond villian
- Plot strays off the normal path for Space Marine literature

rkiviman
02-13-2010, 12:39 AM
Liked the combination of the 2 cousin chapters working together!! Interesting read and overall a good series!! Bile does kind of remind you of spectre. Just when you think you got him, he's gone!!: ;)

david5th
02-13-2010, 11:32 AM
Fabius does that that bond villainesque feel to him, especially wiht his master plan.

MightyOrang
02-20-2010, 10:21 AM
Solid review for a really solid read. I liked the Bile as Bond villain aspect ... too many of the CSM villains are overly smashy smashy ... Bile's schemes within schemes are a nice change.