PDA

View Full Version : Round Bases - End of the World?

daboarder
01-09-2015, 06:40 PM
Heres a spoiler, Fantasy roundbases confirmed

http://i1.wp.com/waaaghgaming.de/wordpress.waaaghgaming/wordpress_live_6Fu8/wp-content/uploads/thanquol_boneripper_runde_bases.jpg

Goodbye fantasy, GG

Chronowraith
01-09-2015, 08:13 PM

http://i1.wp.com/waaaghgaming.de/wordpress.waaaghgaming/wordpress_live_6Fu8/wp-content/uploads/thanquol_boneripper_runde_bases.jpg

Goodbye fantasy, GG

All that means is that someone put them on round bases. It might be an indication of rules changes or just someone who prefers the bases. A picture in White Dwarf is not confirmation of rumor without the text explaining it.

daboarder
01-09-2015, 08:16 PM
All that means is that someone put them on round bases. It might be an indication of rules changes or just someone who prefers the bases. A picture in White Dwarf is not confirmation of rumor without the text explaining it.

so

1) its the WD official pictures, those are studio models
2) they are unplayable in the current game on round bases

Chronowraith
01-09-2015, 08:27 PM
Are they playing a game? I'm sorry but I thought it was an add for a miniature? I didn't realize the photo captured models in use. Display models and adverts can capture models on whatever base they want. It could be on a trapezoid or a rhombus if they wanted.

Because official pictures never have conversions in them? You've been involved with GW long enough to know the answer to that...

I'm not saying you are wrong... only saying that a single photo, with the models in question appearing in the background, does not verify that the rumors floating around the internet are true.

daboarder
01-09-2015, 08:31 PM
hey man, you can think up all the random and unlikely or plausible reasons for a studio fantasy model to have a round base that you want. But that doesn't change the fact that the likely scenario is that this is significant evidence of changes to the game.

Chronowraith
01-09-2015, 08:57 PM
hey man, you can think up all the random and unlikely or plausible reasons for a studio fantasy model to have a round base that you want. But that doesn't change the fact that the likely scenario is that this is significant evidence of changes to the game.

Have you ever been to Warhammer World and looked at the display cases? While many of those armies are considered playable they have many examples of 40k models on square bases and Fantasy models on round bases. Or at least they did when I was there a few years back.

How is my explanation any less plausible than yours? Your scenario isn't more likely because of a single photo and rumors from the internet.

Mr Mystery
01-10-2015, 12:48 AM
Certainly interesting.

Rumours seem to suggest (well, reliable ones) that round bases may be for a more skirmish version of the rules, and that 8th Ed will remain.

Hmm.

Path Walker
01-10-2015, 02:56 AM
Round bases =/= the end of Warhammer Fantasy

Darren Richardson
01-10-2015, 03:18 AM

http://i1.wp.com/waaaghgaming.de/wordpress.waaaghgaming/wordpress_live_6Fu8/wp-content/uploads/thanquol_boneripper_runde_bases.jpgGoodbye fantasy, GG

Look more closely, only the war machines are on round bases the beasties on a square base

daboarder
01-10-2015, 03:23 AM
Why are we discussing bases in a thread about fluff?

Because I screwed up and got a little post happy, if one of the mods would like to move or delete the posts it would be appreciated

- - - Updated - - -

Round bases =/= the end of Warhammer Fantasy

Thats not what was being said in the other threads, wasn't it "GW wouldnt be that stupid I dont believe this rumour"

Matt Cooper
01-11-2015, 09:09 AM
Just gonna say, whirling death for orcs and goblins has round bases in them. It wouldnt suprise me to see monsters and larger models in genral turn to round bases, but I can't see the change for genral rank and file troops go to round considering the amount of work it will take gw to repackage everything with round aswell as the player to rebase everything.

LittleMen
01-11-2015, 09:39 AM
Hyperbolic much?

Path Walker
01-11-2015, 09:43 AM
Because I screwed up and got a little post happy, if one of the mods would like to move or delete the posts it would be appreciated

- - - Updated - - -

Thats not what was being said in the other threads, wasn't it "GW wouldnt be that stupid I dont believe this rumour"

Both can be true at the same time.

Mr Mystery
01-11-2015, 10:35 AM
Overall, I'm interested to see how this plays out.

Involving round bases doesn't necessarily mean square bashing is out. So far we have some rumours (including the normally reliable Harry), and a single image showing two large kits on the oval bases.

We're missing a lot. We don't know how they're being implemented, or to what extent. It could be anywhere from 'lol, rebase or quit', up to 'some units will be able to use round bases for reasons, others have to deploy in ranks'. Too far out to tell.

If we are to find out in June/July, I'd say it's a safe bet whatever is happening is now set, rather than still playtesting, simply because of print run times and that.

I'm intrigued.

I still don't think we'll see the end of Warhammer as it is now, simply because there's gamers out there with very large, very loved armies. With the current edition, we can use them to our heart's content. Instead I think we're seeing an addition to the Warhams pot, in the way Apocalypse did for 40k, just the other way around, and I expect it to be something we can play with existing forces as well. Plus, all those massive big End Times models? Yeah I don't see them (hi Nagash, Mr 1,000 points in his pants) being invalidated with months of their release.....

Erik Setzer
01-11-2015, 11:27 AM
I still don't think we'll see the end of Warhammer as it is now, simply because there's gamers out there with very large, very loved armies. With the current edition, we can use them to our heart's content. Instead I think we're seeing an addition to the Warhams pot, in the way Apocalypse did for 40k, just the other way around, and I expect it to be something we can play with existing forces as well. Plus, all those massive big End Times models? Yeah I don't see them (hi Nagash, Mr 1,000 points in his pants) being invalidated with months of their release.....

People say that, but it was pointed out in a local gaming club's Facebook page that you pretty much never see anyone playing older editions of games. Heck, anyone could download Mordheim right now and play it using WFB models, but people don't because the rules are no longer in the stores (and with GW stores, that means you can't play it there, technically).

I would think they wouldn't get rid of the ET models that soon, mainly because of the production costs involved, but with their price point, it's possible they made a solid profit off of them. But they'd have to have some reason to do some, something that would take their place and that people would "need" to buy.

ted1138
01-11-2015, 11:37 AM
Knowing GW, the change to an oval base is just an excuse to raise the price on an old kit...

Death Shroud
01-11-2015, 11:46 AM
Even if the game moves to round bases and a more skirmish style I think GW will state that you can base them on square bases if you wish. Using square bases in a round base game doesn't cause the kind of problems that using round bases in a square based game would.

Mr Mystery
01-11-2015, 12:16 PM
People say that, but it was pointed out in a local gaming club's Facebook page that you pretty much never see anyone playing older editions of games. Heck, anyone could download Mordheim right now and play it using WFB models, but people don't because the rules are no longer in the stores (and with GW stores, that means you can't play it there, technically).

I would think they wouldn't get rid of the ET models that soon, mainly because of the production costs involved, but with their price point, it's possible they made a solid profit off of them. But they'd have to have some reason to do some, something that would take their place and that people would "need" to buy.

If what is forthcoming proves to be a new Edition of Warhammer. There's hints and suggestions amongst the rumours it might simply be an expansion type affair - something which sits alongside the well known Warhammer. And to me that makes more sense.

As have often been pointed out, Warhammer can appear to have a high entry requirement of models, and the game loses much of it's appeal at smaller points values.

Just sort of makes sense to have it as two games using the same model range. Lord of the Rings and War of the Ring are both vastly underrated as games, and do just that. Their game mechanics share the same sort of similarities as Warhammer and 40k do, but with enough differences they still offer different gaming experiences. So there is precedent for two games sharing a single range.

The most out there rumours say a bunch of stuff (much of which has only recently been updated) is being binned. That just makes bugger all sense.

daboarder
01-11-2015, 12:56 PM
If what is forthcoming proves to be a new Edition of Warhammer. There's hints and suggestions amongst the rumours it might simply be an expansion type affair - something which sits alongside the well known Warhammer. And to me that makes more sense.

As have often been pointed out, Warhammer can appear to have a high entry requirement of models, and the game loses much of it's appeal at smaller points values.

Just sort of makes sense to have it as two games using the same model range. Lord of the Rings and War of the Ring are both vastly underrated as games, and do just that. Their game mechanics share the same sort of similarities as Warhammer and 40k do, but with enough differences they still offer different gaming experiences. So there is precedent for two games sharing a single range.

The most out there rumours say a bunch of stuff (much of which has only recently been updated) is being binned. That just makes bugger all sense.

Of course its a new edition. Just like 7th isnt 6.5 but instead a new edition.

These are the same arguments people made then. That somehow printing a new rulebook wouldnt change anything. Its BS

Xaric
01-11-2015, 01:05 PM
would it be the end of the world if they did choose to put them on round basis... you do know 25mm round basis still work on movement trays as normal hell I know because I use my daemons that way also to tell a targets side from front to back is pretty easy...

Dr. Cheesesteak
01-11-2015, 01:10 PM
Hyperbolic much?
qft. The only thing from the rumors that has any chance to "kill" WHFB is the obsoleting of so many existing models and armies, as that may alienate too many players to recover from.

Plus, this is "old" "news"... Photo has been all but confirmed to be photoshopped in another BoLS article's comments.

Mr Mystery
01-11-2015, 01:11 PM
Of course its a new edition. Just like 7th isnt 6.5 but instead a new edition.

These are the same arguments people made then. That somehow printing a new rulebook wouldnt change anything. Its BS

Not what the rumours are suggesting at all.

Given Harry is the only proven rumour monger commenting on it, he's really quite vague and unsure about what is actually happening.

daboarder
01-11-2015, 01:59 PM
Not what the rumours are suggesting at all.

Given Harry is the only proven rumour monger commenting on it, he's really quite vague and unsure about what is actually happening.

When? you mean when he talks about it being 9th edition and year zero? See where he CALLS it 9th edition? thats the part where you realise that its a new edition

Or how about Darnok, he's got a track record almost as good as harry's and he's is calling it a new edition as well.

Harry from Warseer - Total rumors: (39 TRUE) / (7 FALSE) / (2 PARTIALLY TRUE/VAGUE)

Darnok (from Warseer) - Total rumors: (49 TRUE) / (17 FALSE) / (9 PARTIALLY TRUE/VAGUE)

Col.Gravis
01-12-2015, 08:09 AM
As ever, the 'rumours' of changes in a new edition release will be far more damaging then the actual changes will be, whatever those are. We'll see what happens, you cant change it, your not going to find out exactly how bad or good the changes will be till a lot nearer the time, so why worry? Just enjoy the game.

Now of course its fun to try an predict the future, but the reality is there so much mud being slung around right now I wouldn't trust anything I can't verifiably check for myself.

flipchuck
01-13-2015, 02:11 PM
Can anyone please explain to me how, round base alone will bring the to Warhammer Fantasy? At worse, it'll be a pain in the butt to change all the square bases to round bases.

Houghten
01-13-2015, 02:15 PM
I believe the idea is that thousands of gamers will go "aaaaaaargh, balls to this" and quit the game instead of suffering that pain in the butt.

flipchuck
01-13-2015, 02:34 PM
Pfft! Wimps.

Seriously though, when looking at that picture, what I notice was that the only things that had a round base were war machines. Honestly, how many of you gamers, use bases on their war machines in their armies? Did GW even make an offical squared base for large war machines? From what I remember from a lot of WD battle reports, I never saw too many bases for the war machines. Heck, when I used to use my great cannon and other war machines, I never used a base for them.

Maybe in 9th edition they made spiceal rules for war machines in close combat where they don't need a base to help out with combat (ie: no lining up, no rank bonuse). Then, bases on war machines become optional. More of a personal choice. Usually used to have the war machine base match the rest of the army's bases. And whoever made those models and painted, decided to use round bases because it looked better on on a camera then a round base.

Kind of the same reason when back in the day, they use to paint the models bases green because it looked better on camera then other colors.

Erik Setzer
01-13-2015, 02:45 PM
The newer Skaven Screaming Bell and Plague Furnace have bases in order to help rank them up better. They're machines that fit into the middle of a unit. I have an older one that didn't have a base, it can seem a little odd to slide it into the middle of a unit.

Bases also make it easier to tell how many enemy models are in base-to-base contact, i.e. with Chariots. While my old Doomwheel didn't come with a base, I did put one on it in order to deal with this situation. (I think it's actually the one that came with the new Warp Lightning Cannon, which might make it a bit rough to get more enemy in base-to-base with that, but really, there shouldn't be that many attacking anyway, since they're actually only fighting the crew, who on most war machines are separate models.)

The SB and PF being mid-unit models is what makes their being on a round base so interesting. You can't really rank that up in the middle of a unit, so it begs the question, "How would these work now?"

So much left to discover in summer...

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, also, those round bases aren't because they look better on camera. For one thing, the image as it appears in White Dwarf is cropped to remove the bases. For another, those are typically in the middle of units, and shown with rectangular bases just like the other models in the unit (when you can see the bases). They already had those models with the current bases. It's actually most likely that these are models painted up early for WFB9/Warhammer II: Electric Boogaloo, and they just decided to do a photo of them with current Thanquol, but forgot to crop the image somewhere.

40kGamer
01-13-2015, 02:56 PM
They already had those models with the current bases. It's actually most likely that these are models painted up early for WFB9/Warhammer II: Electric Boogaloo, and they just decided to do a photo of them with current Thanquol, but forgot to crop the image somewhere.

...or they leaked it intentionally to gauge the nerdrage such a move might generate.... or to 'pop' the rage bubble and give people a few months to wrap their minds around such a dramatic change... The tin foil hat possibilities are limitless! :p

Erik Setzer
01-13-2015, 03:06 PM
...or they leaked it intentionally to gauge the nerdrage such a move might generate.... or to 'pop' the rage bubble and give people a few months to wrap their minds around such a dramatic change... The tin foil hat possibilities are limitless! :p

Yeah, but I don't think they're that conniving or anything. I feel it's more likely someone just slipped up. They like to play things so close that not even their own employees know what's around the bend.

Heck, I'm amused by the local manager's guess that it might just be a special set of campaign rules for fighting in Lustria. Not sure how that'd work, but hey, it sounds better than speculating that the game is going to drastically change in a way that might piss off a lot of his customers.

Mr Mystery
01-13-2015, 03:25 PM
When? you mean when he talks about it being 9th edition and year zero? See where he CALLS it 9th edition? thats the part where you realise that its a new edition

Or how about Darnok, he's got a track record almost as good as harry's and he's is calling it a new edition as well.

Thought I responded to this, evidentally didn't. May have wound up in the wrong thread.

Anyways - this is the bit I'm referring to.

I have been around and around with this in my head ..... the only thing that makes any sense to me at the end of the day is that 8th edition is complete enough and robust enough to endure a bit longer and 9th edition will not be a complete new edition of the rules .... but an alternative background and rules with which to play post End times battles but you still need the core rules to play A bit like all the stuff in Strom of Magic was an add on to the existing rules. The core rules and books will still exist for those that want to remain stuck in the timeline but if you want to be down with the cool kids you really need to buy the new post End Times stuff.

It's partly speculation, but the main part of his quote in the 9th Ed Round Up refers to 2104 being 'Year Zero', and also contains earlier, not entirely accurate rumours (such as there only being the three books).

From that, I think we can infer the quote above is more recent rumblings.

flipchuck
01-13-2015, 03:52 PM
Yeah, but I don't think they're that conniving or anything. I feel it's more likely someone just slipped up. They like to play things so close that not even their own employees know what's around the bend.

Heck, I'm amused by the local manager's guess that it might just be a special set of campaign rules for fighting in Lustria. Not sure how that'd work, but hey, it sounds better than speculating that the game is going to drastically change in a way that might piss off a lot of his customers.

That would seem possible. The 4th book does mention about Jungle fighting rules. Maybe the round bases are easier to move around in the jungle terrain.

Mr Mystery
01-13-2015, 04:02 PM
Dunno.

Lustria book had jungle fighting rules (half the time you were very literally fighting the jungle), and that didn't require round bases?

flipchuck
01-13-2015, 04:42 PM
Dunno.

Lustria book had jungle fighting rules (half the time you were very literally fighting the jungle), and that didn't require round bases?

Not offically. But maybe they ended finding it easier to use round bases after that book came out. Who knows?

daboarder
01-13-2015, 05:42 PM
Thought I responded to this, evidentally didn't. May have wound up in the wrong thread.

Yeah I'd seen your response already dont know where it went

Erik Setzer
01-14-2015, 08:28 AM
Dunno.

Yeah, there weren't round bases, because that wouldn't make sense. Why would you buy new models just to put them on round bases, which you couldn't really use in regular games of WFB?

flipchuck
02-08-2015, 02:14 PM
Yeah, there weren't round bases, because that wouldn't make sense. Why would you buy new models just to put them on round bases, which you couldn't really use in regular games of WFB?

So GW could get more money from us?