PDA

View Full Version : Chaos bikers

Lord Krungharr
01-10-2015, 03:41 PM
So I'm in the process of making Nurgle Bikers, but now I'm wondering what special weapons to give them. I'm thinking for the super tough guys, maybe flamers, as then they could handle most regular infantry with shooting and combat while withstanding punishment along the way.

At first I though melta guns so they can rush up and crack armor, but couldn't a small squad of unMarked bikers do that for cheaper though?

Then for enemies with 2+ armor I was thinking Slaaneshi bikers with plasma guns as they could get plenty of good shooting, plus strike first against most Termies in combat for extra wound potential there.

I've tried Khorne bikers, but I think they were kinda lackluster despite being Str 5 with Rage on the charge (had an Icon of Wrath). I like Khorne on Terminators better with chainfists for Knight Hunting.

Maybe this should be in Tactics, but does this sound right?

And who thinks the rumored new Cult Codex will let Slaaneshi units get Doom Sirens? Imagine those on bikes!

ShadowcatX
01-10-2015, 05:39 PM
Honestly, I probably wouldn't match gods and weaponry, instead I'd use the best god and whatever weaponry my army needed.

marful
01-11-2015, 03:53 AM
So I'm in the process of making Nurgle Bikers, but now I'm wondering what special weapons to give them. I'm thinking for the super tough guys, maybe flamers, as then they could handle most regular infantry with shooting and combat while withstanding punishment along the way.

At first I though melta guns so they can rush up and crack armor, but couldn't a small squad of unMarked bikers do that for cheaper though?

Then for enemies with 2+ armor I was thinking Slaaneshi bikers with plasma guns as they could get plenty of good shooting, plus strike first against most Termies in combat for extra wound potential there.

I've tried Khorne bikers, but I think they were kinda lackluster despite being Str 5 with Rage on the charge (had an Icon of Wrath). I like Khorne on Terminators better with chainfists for Knight Hunting.

Maybe this should be in Tactics, but does this sound right?

And who thinks the rumored new Cult Codex will let Slaaneshi units get Doom Sirens? Imagine those on bikes!
Melta guns are a only 10 points and can do just about everything you need to do. Plasma guns are good too, but IMHO I like melta guns because they are cheaper and they threaten EVERYTHING.

Lord Krungharr
01-11-2015, 02:21 PM
That's a good point, and bikers are fast so they should be able to get into range of things, but it's nice to have those extra shots for monstrous creatures too. Maybe I'll just put the melta guns in their hands too so I'd have the twinlinked bolters as an option, those are plenty good for Orks and Gaunts and Kroot and Eldar troops too.

Mad Cat
01-12-2015, 08:51 AM
I would go for meltas on the bikes. I worry about the effect of overheats on a very expensive biker with MoN and a plasma gun being over 40 points.

I tend to put plasmas on my plague marines instead as they get FNP against the overheats and the better range makes up for the footslogging troops. Bikes have such good speed that by turn 2 you can be within 6" of almost anywhere on the table and therefore get the 2D6 armour penetration.

While you are at it take a MoN lord on a bike with Brand of Skaltrax & PF and stick him in with 5 Nurgle spawn for an exceptional tarpit unit. Backed up by 2 units of bikes and some rhino mounted Plague marines to hold objectives it can be a fast and powerful force. Nurgle oblits can either deepstrike or deploy normally in cover and hold the home objectives while giving fire support.

Dave Mcturk
01-12-2015, 10:08 AM
I would go for meltas on the bikes. I worry about the effect of overheats on a very expensive biker with MoN and a plasma gun being over 40 points.

I tend to put plasmas on my plague marines instead as they get FNP against the overheats and the better range makes up for the footslogging troops. Bikes have such good speed that by turn 2 you can be within 6" of almost anywhere on the table and therefore get the 2D6 armour penetration.

While you are at it take a MoN lord on a bike with Brand of Skaltrax & PF and stick him in with 5 Nurgle spawn for an exceptional tarpit unit. Backed up by 2 units of bikes and some rhino mounted Plague marines to hold objectives it can be a fast and powerful force. Nurgle oblits can either deepstrike or deploy normally in cover and hold the home objectives while giving fire support.

this sounds good ! ^

for my tuppeny worth - i play v csm - a lot !! plasma guns on bikes have greater utility - but they cost more than meltas and when firing two shots ive seen even squads melt away ! :eek:

the melta gun is a cheaper weapon and can really annoy heavy armour, so id use it on point heavy troop types and leave plasma guns for your dev. squads if you run any !

sprawn arent brilliant with the new attack rules - but if you are lucky with them they can tie up nasty units for the entire game

Denzark
01-12-2015, 10:25 AM
First question is what do you want them for?

The main strenght of the biker is speed.

What do you want to take forward at speed?

If AT go melta, if anti-MC I would consider plasma.

What secondary ability do you want?

If resilience is required, go Nurgle - it can draw a lot of fire.

If hth is wanted, consider Khorne - although bear in mind they cannot fire when in hth so you secondary ability is outweighing your primary mission.

If extra I is wanted (ie I want to hit MEQ first) then clearly Slaanesh. This has the benefit of offering a FNP icon - but again in hth your primary mission is compromised unless you sack of hunting and just go for combat as your damage dealing method.

I can't see any benefit to Tzeentch.

Deacon Ix
01-16-2015, 11:14 AM
I'm currently making a CSM Sorc with mark of Tzeentch for use in a biker star - CMS Tzeentch powers are ridiculously short ranged but powerful, I managed to almost wipe out 2 combat squads of Dark Angels with one Breath of Chaos, the idea being move forwards 12", use powers, then turbo boost 12" out of the way

Lord Krungharr
01-17-2015, 04:29 PM
If the Tzeentch Sorcerer had a disc (cuz that's cool!) and the Balestar of Mannon, and got really lucky to get Forewarning on Divination, then Tzeentch bikers would be rolling around with a 3++. Of course the odds on that are slim but still fun to think about :) Though Tzeentchy Forewarned spawn would be more ridiculous, but can't Turboboost.

I guess my Nurgle forces do have some good anti-armor with Obliterators and Plague Marines with 2 special weapons each unit. Though I do think meltas on the bikers make sense because of that speed to get into range. Then the Plague Marines roll in with Rhinos and can dish out plasma or flamers maybe on passengers or other units. Nurgle Spawn can actually do plenty of damage to light rear armor, which even Leman Russes have, but of course they suck vs walkers. Hmmm, so yeah, I think I like them for the melta guns.

I might wait to make Slaanesh bikers until I see if they can get sonic weaponry in this summer's rumored supplements/White Dwarf thingies. That will be a must have unit if it comes true.