View Full Version : Crimson Fists drop pods

NuclearSnowyOwl
01-10-2015, 01:33 AM
I've recently revisited an article that BOLS published about a year ago with an interesting Crimson Fists list that has 9 drop pods in it. Here's the list and the author's explanation of some strategy behind it, and then the link to the article is at the bottom:

HQ
Chapter Master Pedro Kantor (Warlord)
Honour Guard (5) w/ drop pod

Troops
Tactical Squad (10) w/ combi-plasma, plasma gun, drop pod
Tactical Squad (10) w/ combi-plasma, plasma gun, drop pod

Elites
Sternguard Veterans (10) w/ four combi-meltas, drop pod
Sternguard Veterans (10) w/ four combi-meltas, drop pod
Sternguard Veterans (5) w/ four combi-meltas, meltabombs, drop pod

Fast Attack
Assault Squad (5) w/ two flamers, drop pod

Total = 1850

Ah yes, Steel Rein. This legendary tactic made famous by the Blood Ravens has recently been the domain of both the Salamanders and Crimson Fists Chapters. The debate about which army does it best will continue for a while, I'm sure, but it goes without saying that scoring Sternguard Veterans are amazing. Leadership 9 models with two attacks each and special issue ammunition. What's not to love? This is where Combat Squads really rears its head; split each ten-strong Sternguard squad down the middle with two combi-meltas each and, when they disembark, target two separate vehicles with each unit! The small five-strong Sternguard unit is there to add a more sacrificial anti-tank unit, as well as a ninth Drop Pod so that the Drop Pod Assault can begin with five Drop Pods as opposed to four. The Tactical Squads are as you expect, with the free choice for grav weapons over plasma weapons if you prefer them. I'm usually not a fan of the flamer-carrying "delivery boy" Assault Squad units, but in a Crimson Fists list, they could actually make sense; the Assault Company, from memory, is as depleted - if not more - than any other, after all. To round out the list, you have Pedro with a unit of Honour Guard; an incredibly tough melee unit that, with Pedro's +1 attack bonus, can put the wallop on anything that gets in its way. Honour Guard with 5 attacks each on the charge? Yes please, give me some more! The more units that get to benefit from Pedro's Chapter Banner, the better; Space Marines do beat out the basic infantry of other units in combat generally, and with +1 attack each - 2 base for Tacticals and 3 base for Veterans - they can actually become very nasty 'Assault Squads' without paying for jump packs and keeping their guns.

http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2014/02/40k-chapter-tactics-imperialcrimson.html

To be honest, this list sounds like tons of fun as infantry and drop pods are two of my favorite things about space marines. My question is, what if your opponent has, say, 2 helldrakes (or other ferocious flying stuff)? Do you just hope to kill everything on the ground and survive enough air attack that you can score objectives and win by points?