PDA

View Full Version : Moving with Heavy Weapons in 40k?

TheDeathJester
01-09-2015, 03:40 AM
Now this might seem like a silly question, but it's for clarification.

For years I've not moved certain squads because heavy weapons can't fire if they move (well, snap shots now) . But if they don't move they can fire at full bs.

Mostly tactical squads with a heavy weapon suffer from this, however if say I moved bolter armed units while still maintaining coherence, and not move my heavy weapon guy, can he still fire at full bs? Or because certain members of the squad moved then heavy weapon guy can't shoot?

I want to move my tactical squads up the field, extending my bolter range and fire off one shot, keep my heavy bolter stationary and because of the range moving isn't a problem.

Path Walker
01-09-2015, 03:42 AM
Since 6th edition, moving restrictions of weapons is on a model by model basis rather than unit by unit, so, if the Marine with a Heavy Bolter isn't moved he can still fire, regardless of what the rest of the squad do .

TheDeathJester
01-09-2015, 04:27 AM
Since 6th edition, moving restrictions of weapons is on a model by model basis rather than unit by unit, so, if the Marine with a Heavy Bolter isn't moved he can still fire, regardless of what the rest of the squad do .

Ahh, Thankyou for the feedback,
I'm thinking of running a heavy bolter because first turn I keep him still, move up my troops, 2nd turn move him up and move up my troops, yes I snap fire 2nd turn but it's three shots and I should be in rapid fire range them :)

This Dave
01-09-2015, 05:55 AM
Ahh, Thankyou for the feedback,
I'm thinking of running a heavy bolter because first turn I keep him still, move up my troops, 2nd turn move him up and move up my troops, yes I snap fire 2nd turn but it's three shots and I should be in rapid fire range them :)

And Snap Shooting a Heavy Bolter has a 50% chance to get a hit, so even then with its better AP and S you can basically consider it another Bolter rather than a Heavy Weapon.

Charistoph
01-09-2015, 09:17 AM

In addition, unless the weapon is a Template or Blast, then they can still fire, just rather poorly.

JMichael
01-09-2015, 10:55 AM
p18 of the Rulebook under 'Which Models are Moving'
Also note that you must state which models are choosing to remain stationary before you move any models in that unit.