PDA

View Full Version : Army transport - what do YOU use?

fortiery
02-12-2010, 07:53 AM
Title says it all. I'm looking for a relatively cheap way to move a guard army around. We're talking the ability to move ~10 tanks, a couple valkyries and ~ 100 troops. I'd love to go and buy a nice battlefoam kit, but sadly dropping that much money on a case really doesn't appeal to me. I've been scouring the internet and having a hard time finding much that would provide a good amount of protection at a low cost point.

So tell me what you use! Post me a sweet link to check out! Amaze me (and the rest of the community) with your creative genious!

Aldramelech
02-12-2010, 08:05 AM
Goodbye

Aldramelech
02-12-2010, 08:58 AM
Goodbye

Atrocity
02-12-2010, 09:56 AM
Academy has a pretty nice and big pistol case with 3 layers of eggshell foam (1 separating) I put my rhinos in the bottom and troops up top. It's about $15. http://www.academy.com/index.php?page=content&target=products/outdoors/hunting/accessories/landing&start=0&selectedSKU=0347-02397-1404
the one I've seen in store doesn't have that lame eagle.

Alternatively the bigger (and nicer oddly enough) of the 2 Walmarts in town has another case. It's a Plano 4 Pistol Case for 20 or 25, I can't remember, and had a hard time finding it on their site. It is bigger than the one from Academy.

For me the bigger one was not worth the extra 5 or 10 bucks or whatever it was. Note that they're both plastic and pretty durable, and not obscenely expensive like the only ones I could find on Walmart's site.

BuFFo
02-12-2010, 10:16 AM
Fat Max mobile tool chest and a fishing tackle box.

fuzzbuket
02-12-2010, 10:31 AM
metal box out of B+Q = £11 and it takes 1500pts with foam (go to a local foam//bedding store and ask for odds and ends:p)

DarkLink
02-12-2010, 03:49 PM
I actually use a cardboard Valkyrie box with foam in it. I have a proper armycase, but I can fit the Valkyrie box in my backpack for when I walk back and forth from campus.

Brosef Stalin
02-12-2010, 05:05 PM
I use some foam trays I bought at the local hobby shop, but they're rubbish. I think I'll be looking into the above alternatives, myself.

DarkLink
02-12-2010, 05:47 PM
Actually, for the amount of stuff you've got, you can get one of these:
http://www.homedepot.com/hdus/en_US/DTCCOM/HomePage/Know_How/Buying_Guides/Storage_Organization_Buying_Guide/Totes_Tubs_Storage_Boxes/Images/0610sobglg_TotesBinsBoxes.jpg

One of the guys in my gaming group has a setup with thin metal sheets spaced with wooden pillars, and all his models are magnetized so they stick to the metal sheets. He can fit his whole 2000+pt 'nidz army in one of these boxes, for real cheap.

Sangre
02-12-2010, 06:01 PM
I hire a team of chinese schoolchildren to carry each model individually everywhere I go. It's the safest option.

Rapture
02-12-2010, 07:10 PM
I have a Battle Foam 1520 that holds my Tau and Space Marines snugly and securely. It is also a backpack and one of the most awesome things that I own.

ColCorbane
02-13-2010, 05:56 PM
For my guard armies which are mainly vehicles, I use the large GW carry case with the troops in the standard foam trays and then the vehicles straight in the case wrapped in bubble wrap.

DarkLink
02-13-2010, 06:57 PM
I hire a team of chinese schoolchildren to carry each model individually everywhere I go. It's the safest option.

Cheap, too. As low as 1/325 cents per week. Unless Amnesty International finds out, anyways.

Greywolf
02-13-2010, 07:08 PM
BattleFoam hands down. I have a 1520 which holds over 3,000 points of Space Wolves which includes three Land Raiders. I'll be able to get all of my IG in one eventually also. And they are coming out with an in between size thats not as small as the 432 and not as large as the 1520. Should be a nice bag.:D

Force21
02-13-2010, 08:05 PM
lol I have the old basic Army Transport.

It fits my metal models like Officers, Tech priest, Cadian Snpiers & Commissars.

some guardsmen, Hellhound, Chimera... & my 2 lonely Russ's....

my Grey Knights, Assassin, Stormtroopers, Hydra & more Guardsman are in the Baneblade box...need like 2 more Army Transports... :(

my Baneblade is in a boot box that is lined with foam to keep it safe tho...

MarneusCalgar
02-13-2010, 08:28 PM
I have 2 units of this ATC (Army Transport Case)

http://www.reapermini.com/TransportCases

It fits over 2000 points of marines or wolves by each bag.

What I do is use one for infantry and the other for vehicles

SandWyrm
02-13-2010, 08:40 PM
I use the large GW double-wide case for my tanks and infantry, with a battlefoam tray to hold more infantry. I have a standard GW case that I use for my Vendettas.

http://www.goreham.com/misc/armyCase.jpg
http://www.goreham.com/misc/valkCase_1.jpg
http://www.goreham.com/misc/valkCase_2.jpg

Just_Me
02-13-2010, 11:48 PM
I have a somewhat haphazard and improvised system that nevertheless seems to work; I have an old portable file case I found in the basement with layers of foam bed pad (you know, the rolls you put down on crappy mattresses to make them passable). I lay down infantry on each section of padding and layer them in the case with big stuff on top. I can carry five 1k armies and four 1k BFG fleets up to campus that way (though I have to carry a couple of vehicles and monstrous creatures loose), and I can carry any single one of my armies in their entirety without a strain. Really large stuff like Valkyries and Baneblades (and I'm guessing the Trygon I have coming) don't fit and have to be carried separately. I also have a couple of GW foam trays, one of which I use to store and carry my Inquisition army.

Sangre
02-14-2010, 02:42 PM
Cheap, too. As low as 1/325 cents per week. Unless Amnesty International finds out, anyways.

Those pesky charity workers, always going after the small businessman.

HiveFleetTiamat
02-15-2010, 10:14 PM
I find that the Bed roll foam and some carry toats will do the job just fine.

Grubbslinger
02-17-2010, 09:10 AM
In the craft section of any store, say Walmart, they have these little tubs for like beads and stuff. Those work pretty well as you can fit two or three squads and have room for heavy weapons. Easy to keep platoons togther. They are relatively cheap too.

Razorx1970
02-23-2010, 11:01 AM
I prefer the Army Transport Motor Pools for all my metal stuff, and vehicles. I use Plano tackle plastic cases for my plastic pieces tho, as they will not take damage, and are more durable than the metal pieces when it comes to being shifted and banging around.

All 25 of my Terminators, all 5 tactical squads, and a devastator squad fits nicely with lots of room to space in two of the Plano cases you can buy for $5 each at Wal-Mart. One Plano box also holds almost all of my plastic Ork troops too, which are many.

To reduce carrying multiple cases tho, I'll just get a rubbermaid, or similar big plastic tub with a lid, to toss them all into to carry one single box around as needed.

LoverzCry
02-24-2010, 09:19 AM
If you're looking for a cheap way to transport your army, but not wanting them to crumble to bits on your way to the shop, I'd get a tackle box. It's got lots of little spaces for troops and elites, and larger areas for tanks and bigger vehicles. Go into your local sports and outdoors store, and nine times out of ten, they'll have a deal going on a nice sized tackle box. Hope this helps : P

Kesher
02-24-2010, 02:39 PM
Wargamers backpack for smaller builds, and division for stuff like orks guard etc...