PDA

View Full Version : Help removing paint on a Chimera.

Force21
02-11-2010, 11:01 PM
Well the title says it all....

I have a Chimera that was given to me for free.....and it is........well um...it was like someone dunked it in Boltgun metal paint lol. :D

I am not sure what paint it is.... or how to remove it.

Also I would like to replace the Heavy Bolter with the Heavy Flamer.

Thanks.

*Edit*

If I can find my camera I will take a pic.

http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=365&stc=1&d=1265952319
http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=366&stc=1&d=1265952344

DAMN.... sorry about the big pics lol.

gwensdad
02-11-2010, 11:31 PM
Well the title says it all....

I have a Chimera that was given to me for free.....and it is........well um...it was like someone dunked it in Boltgun metal paint lol. :D

I am not sure what paint it is.... or how to remove it.

Also I would like to replace the Heavy Bolter with the Heavy Flamer.

I've used "Mr Clean" multipurpose to strip paint from metal figs. I believe a soak in "Formula 409" may also work. Many people also will swear by "Simple Green". For all of these, you will need a toothbrush to do the actual paint removal-these will just soften up the paint.

dendts
02-12-2010, 01:47 AM
I've used caustic soda/draino before with good effects, just make sure you wear rubber gloves and use a old tooth brush or scrubbing bursa to remove the paint.

Force21
02-12-2010, 02:31 AM
Ok thanks.

but I still am going to have to rip off the Heavy Bolter...

anyone know a good way to do so without messing up the Chimera...?

btw what happen with my pics lol.

rkiviman
02-12-2010, 03:15 AM
Soak it in simple green. I've tried several others, but this one works the best, so far!! Soak it for about a day and then wash it warm water and remove the paint with a cloth.

Vorlon
02-12-2010, 12:31 PM
Im currently "De-Painting"... also known as "messing up my damned table and carpet" if you ask my better half... one of my chimeras for the ...third time or fourth time? Ive lost count....

Anyway easy process, leave it submerged in a 75% Simple Green (or Purple Power....no fresh pine tree scent for your army and works waayyyy better but wear gloves during the next step) for a day or over night and rinse with very warm water then give it a good once over with a soft bristled tooth brush and you're done.

ColCorbane
02-13-2010, 05:58 PM
Dunk it in dettol mate, works a treat for me.

Force21
02-13-2010, 08:07 PM
Awesome thanks guys.

can't wait till its done. :D