PDA

View Full Version : 500 point tau list

slxiii
08-04-2009, 03:45 AM
I saw the army list section and figured it would be a nice place to start as a first post.

This is my 500 point army list for Tau Empire, any suggestions/criticism are welcome, though an explanation of why you would change something would help as well :D

HQ
83-Shas'El, Cyclic Ion Blaster, TL Fusion Blaster

ELITES
150-3xXV8 Crisis suit, Burst cannons, Missile Pods, Multi Tracker

TROOPS
120-12xFire Warriors, Pulse Rifles
077-11xKroot

HEAVY SUPPORT
70-1xBroadsides

500 points

The Kroot and firewarriors are obviously for anti infantry duty, the commander and crisis suits are for popping transports and cleaning up passengers. The Fusion blasters and Broadside are more of a cheap insurance against the occasional predator or land raider at 500 points than anything else. I've played with this same list twice before, once i annihilated a marine army within 3 turns, the other time i tied with a mech IG force.

Juju
08-05-2009, 03:08 PM
List looks great. The one thing I would suggest is to split up your firewarrior squad into two squads. With the more important emphasis in 5th edition on objectives and the fragility of firewarrior squads I think u run the risk of having ur scoring units whipped out. If u separate the squad ur opponent will have to split fire over three troop squads to kill all ur objective takers.

mkerr
08-05-2009, 03:33 PM
This is my 500 point army list for Tau Empire, any suggestions/criticism are welcome, though an explanation of why you would change something would help as well :D

Tau in 500pts. That's a tall order, lol.

1) I'm ayou have to have the required Tau Commander. If the Commander isn't a requirement, you might consider an Ethereal based gunline army. It might work at 500pts, depending on the types of opponents you are going to face.

2) I think the Shas'El is a good call for your army (although you get a lot for that extra 25pts) and the armament is pretty good. He can drop in and deal with tanks and the CIB works against a wide range of foes (S3 is a bit of a pain, but the odd AP1 shot is nice combined with the Fusion Blaster).

3) Your Crisis Suits need to be able to multi-task in a 500pt army, so I'd go with a different loadout. Fusion Blasters (especially the TL ones) would be really nice against a wide variety of targets (allowing you to take advantage of the Deep Strike option) and Plasma Rifle / Missile Pods have always been a favorite of mine (less so in 5E where it's harder to hide).

4) The 10pt Fire Warrior is a pretty good deal. The 30" S5 gun is dangerous to just about every enemy (and the AP5 will help you with IG, Orks and Tyranids). The Pulse Carbine is also a steal because you won't see a lot of Fearless models at 500pts. I'd go for two units of 10 (with a couple of Pulse Rifles in each squad) and lose the Kroot.

5. You are putting a lot of weight on the shoulders of that one Broadside model in this army. So I'd probably find the points to put stabilizers on him (it's easier to hide one model on the first turn and walk him out to shoot). That also gives you an extra shot when playing Dawn of War.

Best of luck!

-- MKerr

Farsight
08-12-2009, 10:37 AM
I agree with Mkerr's suggestion to swap out the burst cannons unless you are up against hoard armies and need the extra fire power. If you start to add to army I would get some devilfish to make the fire warriors mobile. Other than that, it looks pretty good.

Kaar
08-12-2009, 07:42 PM
I like it! You've got some excellently brutal anti-infantry firepower in all those burst cannons, and in 500 points, you shouldn't be seeing much heavy armour at all, so the Broadside should be more than good enough when backed up by your Shas'El.

I would go with MKerr's 5th suggestion, about the Adv. stabilizers, maybe squeeze the points out by dropping a Kroot or two. Being able to shift position if needed is invaluable, and in Dawn of War, that extra shot can make all the difference. You could split your Fire Warrior teams as well, though keep in mind that if you don't bond them, they'll keep running if you get shot up below half strength and break. Smaller squads only makes that easier for your opponent!

I'd say play a few games as your list stands now, and then tweak to flavor.

foostoofoo
08-15-2009, 06:13 AM
Well it seems okay, but I have a couple of suggestions,

Your commander has plenty of firepower and no support wargear, I mean personally I wouldn't have a twin linked weapon, just take the normal weapon and then take a shield generator, that way hed get a 4+ invun, or the multi-tracker making him fire both weapons in one turn. Something along them lines anyway.

Give your crisis suits a mixture of weapons, because at 500 points you need a bit of variety, and might I suggest a target lock on top of that, so one of your guys can shoot at a different unit to the other two. For example 2 of your guys are given burst cannons and missile pods blowing away troops, while the other guys is blowing a hole in an enemy tank with his fusion blaster.

And if you could I would personally, drop some points somewhere and take 2 10-man fire warrior squads rather than kroot, believe me they do suck.

It is quite tricky because tau in 500 points is hard to fit a decent army in, but I think with a bit of tweaking it could work okay. :)

slxiii
08-20-2009, 04:29 PM
Well it seems okay, but I have a couple of suggestions,

Your commander has plenty of firepower and no support wargear, I mean personally I wouldn't have a twin linked weapon, just take the normal weapon and then take a shield generator, that way hed get a 4+ invun, or the multi-tracker making him fire both weapons in one turn. Something along them lines anyway.

Give your crisis suits a mixture of weapons, because at 500 points you need a bit of variety, and might I suggest a target lock on top of that, so one of your guys can shoot at a different unit to the other two. For example 2 of your guys are given burst cannons and missile pods blowing away troops, while the other guys is blowing a hole in an enemy tank with his fusion blaster.

And if you could I would personally, drop some points somewhere and take 2 10-man fire warrior squads rather than kroot, believe me they do suck.

It is quite tricky because tau in 500 points is hard to fit a decent army in, but I think with a bit of tweaking it could work okay. :)

No offense, but I think this is very bad advice. moving a team of suits up to a tank, then relying on a leadership test so that you can blow two things up at once is a bit ridiculous imo. The list has more than enough anti tank already.

Also, kroot are amazing for their points cost, they're cheap, they infiltrate, they can rapid fire and fire long range shots (with a 3+ cover in forest) and they can do a decent job of assaulting enemy troops or being positioned to take an assault and hold for a turn or two. I think perhaps you should try to use them differently and see how they work for you.

Burn_Tide
03-09-2012, 12:01 PM
No offense, but I think this is very bad advice. moving a team of suits up to a tank, then relying on a leadership test so that you can blow two things up at once is a bit ridiculous imo. The list has more than enough anti tank already.

Also, kroot are amazing for their points cost, they're cheap, they infiltrate, they can rapid fire and fire long range shots (with a 3+ cover in forest) and they can do a decent job of assaulting enemy troops or being positioned to take an assault and hold for a turn or two. I think perhaps you should try to use them differently and see how they work for you.

I too say that it wasn't the best advice. The shield generator is too expensive vs. shield drones. the commander should be in a squad where the wounds can be allocated, and if you need an inv. in combat then you're dead anyways.

also, the kroot are great, and the crisis suits rly only need a few changes, already mentioned