PDA

View Full Version : BA Stormraven 6inch assault

Fanboy
12-25-2014, 01:48 PM
Hello all,

Got my new BA Codex.....what the hell happened to the Stormraven....the last time I used one you could move 12inches and still assault. It was a great delivery vehicle for Mephiston and a DC Dreadnought.....and now you get to move 6 inches in order to assault, or take dangerous terrain tests......what the hell happened, why the reduction to 6 inches....... Whats the point.......is GW trying to push land raider sales, or can they also only move 6 inches to deliver troops into assault in the same turn.......going to check the rule book now........

lobster-overlord
12-25-2014, 02:10 PM

DWest
12-25-2014, 03:41 PM
Land Raiders are also restricted to maximum of 6" move if the troops inside want to launch an assault, it's part of a general crippling, er, I mean "retuning" of assault.

RGilbert26
12-25-2014, 05:49 PM
It isn't a 6 inch assault, it's move 6", disembark 6" and assault up to 12". On average you'll get around 6" on the charge so there's no difference from old and new rules except you might get an additional 6" assault move.

Fanboy
12-26-2014, 12:11 AM
It isn't a 6 inch assault, it's move 6", disembark 6" and assault up to 12". On average you'll get around 6" on the charge so there's no difference from old and new rules except you might get an additional 6" assault move.

Thank you for the clarification. A lot better.

Da Gargoyle
01-12-2015, 09:10 PM
You think yours is bad. Up until 6 Ed I could blast across the battle field in a falcon or serpent moving flat out, take the chance on the enemy round of shooting and in the next turn, before the vehicle moved, disembark, shoot and assault. Since 6 ed I can not assault whether the vehicle moved or not. The nearest I can get to assaulting in second turn now is a bunch of Warlocks on jet bikes. Or counter assault if one of you guys charges me. :o

DarkLink
01-12-2015, 09:27 PM

Well, you actually could assault further on average out of a vehicle last edition. Move 12, disembark 2" (which got the front edge of your base about 2.95"), assault 6", for basically a 21" charge. Now, you move 6", disembark 6", and assault 7" on average, for a 19" charge. You'll only get a longer charge about 17% of the time rolling a 10, 11, or 12. The rest of the time it's equal to or worse than the old rules. Mostly worse by several inches.

StraightSilver
01-22-2015, 05:54 AM
Well, you actually could assault further on average out of a vehicle last edition. Move 12, disembark 2" (which got the front edge of your base about 2.95"), assault 6", for basically a 21" charge. Now, you move 6", disembark 6", and assault 7" on average, for a 19" charge. You'll only get a longer charge about 17% of the time rolling a 10, 11, or 12. The rest of the time it's equal to or worse than the old rules. Mostly worse by several inches.

The difference now though is that you get an average 19" charge but the assault vehicle still gets to fire all of its weapons at normal BS, which I think is better to be honest.

Dave Mcturk
01-24-2015, 01:13 PM
You think yours is bad. Up until 6 Ed I could blast across the battle field in a falcon or serpent moving flat out, take the chance on the enemy round of shooting and in the next turn, before the vehicle moved, disembark, shoot and assault. Since 6 ed I can not assault whether the vehicle moved or not. The nearest I can get to assaulting in second turn now is a bunch of Warlocks on jet bikes. Or counter assault if one of you guys charges me. :o

ha ha ... yes the only army without an assault vehicle. us poor-dar

ive taken to running in rotation - a shiny spear army - three units screened by gruniags / a scorpz army on foot with three tooled exarches / a footlock council with a phoenix lord . its all a bit rock paper scissors. but its worth it to see opponents faces when they realise ive got a close assault unit ! [or three].

dontn think you can justify a jetlock council these days its nearly 800pts - without the baron its not cost effective imo - but if you play high points games i guess you could afford it - we tend to play tight comp. points 1750 / 1850 - mainly to keep playing time down to a sensible length ! at 2000pts + i think it might become auto-include.

wraithknights are just too good to run in threes ! :rolleyes:

- - - Updated - - -

lol. mostly worst because a failed charge is unpredictable - ive seen a full strength crusader honour guard unit fail a three inch charge against 6 cultists - :p

lots of units/troop types/ even armies get to re-roll charge dice or get charge bonuses, but its got nothing to do with morale [leadership], training [elite / fast attack] or even initiative. i mean necron wraith are more likely to fail a difficult terrain charge than an orc mob!

Katharon
01-24-2015, 07:32 PM
It bores me that people keep complaining that "Assault is dead". It's not. It was balanced, to a degree, and even got some improvements. And BA have the least to complain about, as the 6th Ed rules boosted Death Company to l33t-awesome levels; as they changed how Rage operated. Use to be I could make BA Death Company chase a Chimera or Rhino around the table, away from anything important thanks to Rage -- but not no more. So, just roll with it.

The Stormraven is a flyer anyway, so it's not as if you're going to have trouble getting where you want the assault to go off.