PDA

View Full Version : Rogue Trader Box Set 01 Marines.... In Blue!?!

Darren Richardson
12-20-2014, 05:51 PM
So I brought off ebay a few months ago a job lot of Rogue Trader/2nd edition plastic Space Marines, recently finished stripping the paint off of them, and found most of them RTB01 type marines were really dark blue....

Now they're not stained blue because they fell apart during the stripping process (most likey they were glued with superglue) and the blue is in unpainted areas, one of them broke on the arm as well when cleaning, and it was dark blue as well....

Now do any old time players/modellers remember ever coming across Dark Blue plastic versions of the RTB01 beakies? Could they be fakes? Though I have my doubts they're fake....

I do know they made Genestealers in this style and colour of plastic for almost a decade in the late 80's early 90's, and they also did the Terminators from the 1st Edition Spacehulk with it as well, not to mention the Chaos Space Marines of Space Crusade (and the 'stealers too).

Any ideas or anwsers mosty welcome, it doesn't really matter to me as I will still use them, regardless, but damn it's bugging my curiuosity, I've held off asking this for a while now, but I'm about to repair and redo them.....

khambatta
12-20-2014, 10:05 PM
I've picked up a couple. The ad in the Book of the Astronomican, from 1988, shows blue sprues. http://solegends.com/citrt/rtb01marines.htm
There are green ones about as well.

Darren Richardson
12-21-2014, 02:13 AM
ahh so they did do blue ones, I remember the ones I brought back in 1990 were Cream, Got a couple of those Cream sprues recently off eBay, unused.... So far :)

Ben_S
12-21-2014, 03:58 AM
I have seen them in blue, though I wasn't in the hobby until 2nd edition, so I don't know if there was any special reason for it.

Denzark
12-21-2014, 04:10 AM
I'm sure I've seen green too. I also saw a later tac squad in chrome - think it was some staff reward or summat.

LittleMonster
12-21-2014, 10:44 AM
I was around for the first edition plastic Space Marines, and they most definitely came in dark blue. Still have a few of them around, in fact. Funny: it never occurred to me that people wouldn't know that, but I guess it was a long time ago!

Cutter
12-22-2014, 03:43 AM
They shipped in tan, green, red and blue.

I gather it was largely down to whatever plastic the manufacturer had on hand.

Pssyche
12-22-2014, 04:03 AM
Mine were blue when the game was released.
I was unaware they did other colours prior to this thread.

Darren Richardson
12-22-2014, 08:05 AM
They shipped in tan, green, red and blue.

I gather it was largely down to whatever plastic the manufacturer had on hand.

I guess that could explain it, they used different companies to produce them before they took it "inhouse"

I didn't know they also came in red and green though, that's new to me....

Cutter
12-22-2014, 08:19 AM
I guess that could explain it, they used different companies to produce them before they took it "inhouse"

I didn't know they also came in red and green though, that's new to me....

My first box was green, and I still have some arms in my bits box, I also have some tan bits, but for the life of me I can't think where they came from.

I do have more than 30 wombles, but I don't remember ever buying a second box, must have been gifted them as some stage.

Only ever seen pictures of the sprues in blue and red.

JMichael
12-22-2014, 01:11 PM
I still have some on sprus, all of mine are tan.
As were my Land Raiders and Rhinos from that time.

Warptiger
12-22-2014, 10:12 PM
All of the first marines I ever saw were in dark blue plastic. I've been playing since, well... 1st edition. Never saw them in tan, or any other color until many many many years later.

and I thought the same thing about the tan plastic at first (that they might be reproductions, etc).

land raiders and rhinos were always tan though... except for one land raider that was dark green plastic.