PDA

View Full Version : Tyrannofex Conversion

Lord Scythican
02-10-2010, 12:41 PM
Well here is my entry for the Nid Challenge. I hate that it didn't make the cut. I probably should have finished my Tervigon instead since they are more popular than Tyrannofexs. I tried to make mine as close to the codex art as possible too. Let me know what you all think!

TSINI
02-10-2010, 12:51 PM
I like the waythe gun is both his hands and chin. awesome

very close to the codex art.

Vodski
02-10-2010, 12:55 PM
Excellent model , a lot great work there. And a good size too. Not to mention looking like the codex. I see you managed get the gun holding arms in the right sockets. It was too much of a stetch for me. My only problem with the model is the base. Should have used a bigger base.

By the way have you got any pics of it unpainted? So we can see how much GS you have done?

Lord Scythican
02-10-2010, 01:05 PM
Excellent model , a lot great work there. And a good size too. Not to mention looking like the codex. I see you managed get the gun holding arms in the right sockets. It was too much of a stetch for me. My only problem with the model is the base. Should have used a bigger base.

By the way have you got any pics of it unpainted? So we can see how much GS you have done?

I had to use some venom cannons in order to get those arms to work. I hate the base as well, but I had no idea of how to make a custom base. I plan on figuring that out eventually, but I wanted to finish the model itself up for the contest.
At first I also wanted to go baseless like a defiler, but the base provided a lot of support. I was afraid that if I didn't have the base, the weight of the model would break the claws.
I have some WIP pics. Look for them below. In the pics, the only thing that isn't finished is the hooves.

I like the waythe gun is both his hands and chin. awesome

very close to the codex art.

I tried my best to make it close to the art. I know a lot of people hate the art, but I figured I should try and make it as close to the art as possible, for the sake of the conversion.

Vodski
02-10-2010, 01:10 PM
I'm not prone to net speak but OMG!!! Thats a few GW sized packs of blue and yellow right there!

Base wise, I stuck together a few sheets of thick plasticard. You can get a nice circle cutter from Maplins that will cut perfect circles.Then you can file down an angle if you want it to look a bit like a GW base.

Lord Scythican
02-10-2010, 07:14 PM
Well I saved some cash on the green stuff. The inside is filled with insulation foam. I basically sprayed it inside and once it was dry, I trimmed it back and then covered it up with detailed Green Stuff work. Thanks for the tip on the base too. I will see about fixing up a rather nice large base now.

Brass Scorpion
02-11-2010, 05:14 PM
I hate that it didn't make the cut. I probably should have finished my Tervigon instead since they are more popular than Tyrannofexs.Since you brought it up, I don't think the choice of model is an issue and the converting is terrific. I really like the build. If you look at the finalists though the painting is at a higher standard. Not that there's anything wrong with your painting, but the finalists appear to have a bit more time, care and "cleanliness" in the painting. I wouldn't worry over it, your finished model is big, scary and cool. Enjoy.

Vodski
02-12-2010, 01:43 AM
Since you brought it up, I don't think the choice of model is an issue and the converting is terrific. I really like the build. If you look at the finalists though the painting is at a higher standard. Not that there's anything wrong with your painting, but the finalists appear to have a bit more time, care and "cleanliness" in the painting. I wouldn't worry over it, your finished model is big, scary and cool. Enjoy.

I "cleanliness" what the gribbly nids are all about then? This model was one of the few I have seen thats the right size. And actually looks loke it should. After all that was part of the compo brief.

Brass Scorpion
02-12-2010, 08:47 AM
I "cleanliness" what the gribbly nids are all about then?Not cleanliness of the 'nids, cleanliness of the painting, as in smoothness and blending of transitions, layering and depth, etc.

Lord Scythican
02-14-2010, 08:15 AM
Since you brought it up, I don't think the choice of model is an issue and the converting is terrific. I really like the build. If you look at the finalists though the painting is at a higher standard. Not that there's anything wrong with your painting, but the finalists appear to have a bit more time, care and "cleanliness" in the painting. I wouldn't worry over it, your finished model is big, scary and cool. Enjoy.

You are very correct. I guess when it comes to warhammer, the paintjob means more than sculpting. I find that concept rather irritating though I am probably a minority on this issue. If this would have been Submit your Best Carnifex or Hive Tyrant Challenge, then I would have expected the best paintjobs. A conversion contest should focus on the conversion not the paintjob. Though for what its worth, Simon Schnitzler's has the best of both. Thanks for the comments though, I will try better on the paintjob next time.

@Vodski: I appreciate the vote of confidence. I am glad you appreciate the size and the codex inspired sculpt. I sent you a PM about some stuff. If you ever make anymore conversions, send me a message and I will check them out. My next model is almost finished. It is a heavily converted Trygon Prime with a primer black paintjob.

Mystery.Shadow
02-14-2010, 10:57 AM
....And the Golden Demon is a Painting Competition right? But when was the last time you saw a NON-Converted Model win it?

Just_Me
02-14-2010, 11:20 AM
Am I the only one who can't see the pics anymore? I remember seeing this one when it was first posted, and it was really awesome...