PDA

View Full Version : How to run a Lord of War

vharing
12-14-2014, 09:15 PM
So with the new Blood Angels book I finally have a modal for a lord of war unit with Dante. I was wondering if you have to follow the rules from escalation to field him? In the 7th ed book it doesnt really say other than it is a unit.

Lexington
12-14-2014, 09:51 PM
Nope, they act just like any other unit. Plus they're all Lordy.

JMichael
12-15-2014, 12:00 AM
You do have to use a detachment that has a LoW slot, like the Combined Arms Detachment on p122 of the rulebook or the Baal Strike Force on p110 of the Blood Angel codex.
Keep in mind that if your Blood Angels are an Ally, and you are playing Battle-Forged then you won't be able to take a LoW as the Allied detachment does not have a LoW slot.
You do not need the Escalation book to use Dante or any other LoW that is also listed in a codex.

Charistoph
12-15-2014, 12:17 AM
So with the new Blood Angels book I finally have a modal for a lord of war unit with Dante. I was wondering if you have to follow the rules from escalation to field him? In the 7th ed book it doesnt really say other than it is a unit.

Escalation is more about Super-Heavies/Gargantuans athan about the Lord of War slot. It just happens that most Super-Heavies ARE Lords of War in one form or another.

vharing
12-15-2014, 06:57 PM
Cool thanks guys. I cant wait to run the new Dante in a game

Lord Krungharr
12-16-2014, 02:09 PM
I think you should find someone with Kharn to fight Dante. 2 mighty axes going head to head until Kharn chops one of those heads off ;)

SnakeChisler
12-17-2014, 06:06 AM
Lords of War work better at larger points levels

Q do you need > 1500 to run LOW A No
Q Would it be a good idea to play 1750 or greater before taking one Personally I think yes

With Large points units LOW & Super Heavies your game can get somewhat distorted, larger point games smooths it out to an extent or just gives the unit more to kill

Charistoph
12-17-2014, 10:18 AM
Lords of War work better at larger points levels

Q do you need > 1500 to run LOW A No
Q Would it be a good idea to play 1750 or greater before taking one Personally I think yes

With Large points units LOW & Super Heavies your game can get somewhat distorted, larger point games smooths it out to an extent or just gives the unit more to kill

It REALLY depends on the Lord of War. For everything pre-7th, I would agree. But when you have characters like Dante and Logan Grimnar who were quite available for lower point games before when they were HQs, I would disagree for them.

Super-Heavies are whole different balliwack, though.

SnakeChisler
12-17-2014, 11:08 AM
Yea know what you mean Gazz & Draigo probably fall into the same list

DWest
12-17-2014, 04:55 PM
It would be nice if they had copied over the "your LoW cannot be more than 25% of your total points" from the Horus Heresy rules. That would help keep some of the Super-Heavy silliness in check, and also give the character LoWs a bit more of a purpose.

John Bower
12-18-2014, 06:53 AM
It would be nice if they had copied over the "your LoW cannot be more than 25% of your total points" from the Horus Heresy rules. That would help keep some of the Super-Heavy silliness in check, and also give the character LoWs a bit more of a purpose.

We can but hope they do something like this in 8th ed; but I won't hold my breath.