PDA

View Full Version : writing RPG's

Az Alderson
12-13-2014, 05:42 PM
Hey all
just a quick question for those that play/write roleplay games - how many have written their own game, and what, in your opinion is the best system to use? ive written and run a cpl of my own games and wondered what people find is the best system, and why?

cheers for now

Az:D

Az Alderson
12-24-2014, 08:13 PM
any suggestions guys? :D

Morgrim
12-25-2014, 06:41 AM
Your question is confusing. What do you mean by 'writing RPGs'? Do you mean creating an entire gaming system from scratch, with all the mechanics? If so this is probably not the right forum for it. If you mean taking a setting and statting it up for use in a game, I suggest looking at GURPs or FATE systems depending on what you want to do. If you mean writing your own campaign to use within a setting or tweaking a setting to fit, you can do that with most RPGs.

Az Alderson
12-28-2014, 03:26 PM
apologies for the confusion - i meant if you write your own games, do you create the mechanics from scratch, or do you use pre-existing systems already available (ie GURPS/FATE etc) or have you created your own and do you find this better, and why?

Morgrim
12-29-2014, 06:46 AM
Almost everyone is going to use a pre-existing system. If they're writing from scratch it'll be only a small part to slot into that system. Why? Because making up a game whole cloth is really really hard and an awful lot of work and something not many people are capable of, and most gaming systems are based on pre-existing systems anyway just due to the difficulty.

It's a bit like asking a wargamer if they start by sculpting their own models. Sculpting a custom bit or maybe even a HQ is one thing, but even that is uncommon and nobody begins by trying to make an entire army from scratch just to play a game.

Az Alderson
12-29-2014, 02:02 PM
is such a thing even possible these days? the sheer variety of dice/turn mechanics available now surely would mean that pretty much any 'new' system would be based off an older/pre-existing game mechanic around somewhere? ive written a few games mainly using a D20 system but i try to be as original as i can be; sure its alot of work and probably far from perfect but they work lol - but i guess these days being wholly 'original' is pretty hard anyway