PDA

View Full Version : Rainpocalypse 2014!

ElectricPaladin
12-10-2014, 07:37 PM
I just found out that school is canceled tomorrow for pretty much the entire Bay Area (except Piedmont, so far...). Woo! Rainpocalypse! Will anyone else be hiding from the bad weather at home?

Kirsten
12-10-2014, 08:04 PM
weather is due to be pretty bad here this week too, but I will have to go to work regardless

DarkLink
12-10-2014, 10:00 PM
I like driving in the rain, personally.

Deadlift
12-11-2014, 12:27 AM
It's been pretty heavy today here on the island. Flooding in some areas but not too bad in Victoria. Forecast for much of the western pacific coast is torrential rain over the next 24hrs. Still got to the mall this afternoon and did my christmas shopping. Who knew there could be so much under one roof. I love Target. It's like our old Woolworths but a million times better.
Not working at the moment, so tomorrow I will go to the gym in the morning and then do home stuff in the afternoon.

Mr Mystery
12-11-2014, 01:55 AM
I am Scottish.

Weather happens to other people.

Scots happen to weather.

True story Bro.

Psychosplodge
12-11-2014, 03:46 AM
Yeah in England we have the potential to have all four seasons weather any day of the year.

Mr Mystery
12-11-2014, 03:53 AM
Keeps us on our toes, and gives us something to complain about where we can all join in without fear of causing offense.

Psychosplodge
12-11-2014, 04:22 AM
Pretty much.

ElectricPaladin
12-11-2014, 12:39 PM
Although the storm was quite loud and dramatic last night, most reports are saying that this situation was an enormous exaggeration. There was some flooding on 101 and 80, but not that much worse than a typical rainy day. I could totally have gone to work today... except that they canceled my meeting and closed school :D.

- - - Updated - - -

More information is rolling on my wife's smart phone, and it looks like things aren't quite that peachy here. There's some serious flooding and we're under a "flash flood" warning, so although it isn't too scary right now, apparently an enormous wall of water could come bearing down at us at any moment. Most of San Francisco is entirely without power.

DWest
12-11-2014, 02:03 PM
Sucks for San Fran :/

This winter is really shaping up weird- I'm in Iowa, in the upper half of the midwest, and we're seeing temperatures projected to be in the 40s through the end of the week, maybe even hitting 50. That would be warm weather for the middle of March normally, never mind December.

DarkLink
12-11-2014, 02:15 PM
Yeah, traffic was great today since everyone stayed home.

Deadlift
12-11-2014, 02:36 PM
A bit of a downpour this morning, but nothing like yesterday. This should be the last of the 3 storms we were due to have this week. No real disruption.

DarkLink
12-11-2014, 04:53 PM
To put th OP in context, local media has been playing up for the last week how California will be hit by a giant storm and everyone had better fill up on everything you need to survive the apocalypse.

ElectricPaladin
12-11-2014, 05:33 PM
To put th OP in context, local media has been playing up for the last week how California will be hit by a giant storm and everyone had better fill up on everything you need to survive the apocalypse.

It's true. My wife (the native Californian) is usually quite levelheaded about such things, and she still had me stocking up on candles and flashlights.

Though, it's also true that when she was a little girl, she lost a week of school because Palo Alto flooded, and some folks she knew woke up to calf-deep water in their homes, so worry is not entirely unreasonable. I do think that this was sold as significantly worse than it's really turned out to be.

DarkLink
12-11-2014, 09:32 PM
My parents are from Michigan, so even weather like this is laughable to them. And I grew up snow camping and stuff, and spent plenty nights outdoors in just as bad of weather. You might get some water damage to your home, but as long as you drive a little more carefully you're not really in any danger.