PDA

View Full Version : [Black Library Review]Dark Creed by Anthony Reynolds

Vuron
02-08-2010, 10:11 PM
Rynn's World

Author: Anthony Reynolds (Dark Apostle, Dark Disciple

Series: Word Bearers

Starring/Perspective: Marduk, Kol Badur, Burias, Ekodas, Erebus (special guest star), the Word Bearers

Antagonists: White Consols, the White Angel, Necrontyr

Locales: Boros Gate, Daemon World of Sicarus

Snarky synopsis: Putting the Words "Holy Sh!t" in Word Bearers

Recently I received Sons of Dorn (about my favorite Space Marine chapter - the Imperial Fists) and Dark Creed. I read Sons of Dorn first and then reluctantly read about the diabolic villians - the Word Bearers. The first two books (Dark Apostle, Dark Disciple) were decent - but nothing to rave about. However those books were merely prelude for Dark Creed.

Without a doubt my favorite BL book is Storm of Iron by Graham McNeill. I love that book because of its epic scope and the dual perspective (Imperial Fists/Imperial v. Iron Warriors) of a massive battle. The scope of Dark Creed makes Storm of Iron look like a couple of kids hitting each other with sticks on a playground. The scope of the book is massive - likely the most ambitious theatre of battle by any author this side of the city siege books in the Gaunt's Ghosts series (Necropolis, Sabbat Martyr). Now I don't think Dark Creed is as good as Storm of Iron, Necropolis or Sabbat Martyr, however hats off to Reynolds for trying to tackle space battles, land and air battle between thousands of chaos space marines, an Ultramarines successor chapter, a legion of Necrons and millions of IG.

The basic plot is that the Boros Gate system is a gateway into the warp where rapid transit is possible between any number of destinations in realtime. Marduk leads his cadre (with characters from the first two novels) as part of a massive Word Bearers flotilla to conquer the system in advance of the 13th Black Crusade (where are my 13th Black Crusade series of novels BL?!). I am not going to spoil anything but suffice to say this is the best BL novel I have read in at least 6 months (including that Gaunt's Ghost short story I purchased as a hardback). The pace begins about 40 pages in and does not let up. The battles are expertly told and there are many twists and turns along the way.

Usually BL books are fire and forget - you read them once and never go back. This book is going in the very small camp of "going to read again." The only major detractor is that you have to read two novels to get to it - but the Return of the Jedi aspect of this one makes it worthwhile.

Overall: 4 Books of Lorgar out of 5

Cryl
02-09-2010, 02:08 AM
Like all BL it's not going to win any SF writing awards but it's a good fun read and this is one of those books that leaves you wanting to buy an army, this is also good enough that you actually buy and paint that army. The images of Marduk and his "friends" (I use the word very loosely!) inspire all the feelings you think you'd get from the original chaos marines

Vuron
02-09-2010, 10:56 AM
Like all BL it's not going to win any SF writing awards

Amen to that. I think it is always an important caveat that you are not reading BL for an enriching experience in the world of literature. You read BL to breathe life into a remarkable backstory for a tabletop game. BL books are brain candy - exactly the kind of escapism that draws people like us into the game.

RedShift
03-04-2010, 04:49 PM
I thought it was a great book. The only criticism I have is that the story wasn't really wrapped up from the white consul pov. What happened next?

david5th
03-05-2010, 11:09 AM
All heed the word.

rkiviman
03-06-2010, 01:07 AM
Good book ,entertaining and a fun read. It' pace was quick and full of action. As said before you're not looking of any great purpose in a book but to tell the story and this one does just that. Interesting look at the Chaos marines and their interworkings.