PDA

View Full Version : Epic Game Last Night

alshrive
12-04-2014, 06:18 AM
So I went back to a local(ish) [20 miles away] gaming club last night and caught up with people I used to know back in the days I worked for GW and ended up getting involved in my first epic game. It was 300 (ended up at 302 per side). with 3 Imperial (myself included) and 2 rebel players. We each agreed that we would split off and create our sections of our sides to see what happened. When the 2 rebel players came back here is what was fielded

Ian:
-Tantive IV; with numerous upgrades.
- 2 Green Squadron A-Wings with Push The Limit

Toph:
- 3 Y-Wings with Ion Turrets
- Keyan Farlander [B-Wing]
- Luke [X-Wing] with R2-D2

I'll be honest it looked really daunting to see something so large on the table accompanied by so many high Hull Point/Shield vessels.

Now when myself and the other 2 imperial commanders got back together we were quite surpised to see how we had each spent our 100 points;

Luke:
3 Phantoms- Whisper, Echo and a Sigma (I think) each with Advanced Cloaking Device [he had the extra 2 points]

Petey:
some crazy *** TIE Swarm- it was basically Vader in an Advanced, with a horde of other ties including some named pilots.

Myself:
-Captain Oicunn [Decimator] with Navigator, Mara Jade and Dauntless Title
-Tetran Cowall [TIE Interceptor] with Push The Limit
-Royal Guard Pilot [Tie Interceptor] with Push The Limit

Notes; We seemed to each essentially try a different style. The Phantom swarm which has fared well in the tournament scene, the TIE horde which has also had some success and then me. I'll be honest, I had new toy syndrome. My Decimator and Imperial Aces arrived on Mon/Tues and I hadn't had a chance to use them. I have no remorse!

Now I won't go into a full turn by turn of the game but it was an absolute blast. Highlights include:

- The Tantive either being completely inept at shooting or absolutely incredible...
- The Tantive having a perfect chance to ram all 2 phantoms and a tie off the board in a single move but cocking it up and ending up neatly between them all
- The Interceptors and Decimator shooting Luke in the second turn stripping him to a single hull point before Oicunn just ploughed into him the next turn. The first casualty of the game was Luke Skywalker and it was an ignoble fate to be smeered across the front of a VT-49.
- Keyan Farlander always facing the wrong direction.
- Whenever we damaged the rear of the Tantive we always seemed to be getting the inflict 2 damage to the front section critical hit.

It was an absolute blast but we had to call time on it at just before 10 (University lets the club have the premises until 10) and we are now planning on another round next week.

This gives me a week to plan how to take out the Tantive....

Mr Mystery
12-04-2014, 06:31 AM
Sounds fun!

Definitely give Mara Jade a whizz in Echo's Phantom.

Stress! Stress for everyone! (granted it's pointless against Push the Limit, but there you go!)

alshrive
12-04-2014, 07:47 AM
I found she worked really well on Oicunn, as your sole aim is to collide with people you are always getting close. I was also incredibly impressed with how manoeuvrable the Decimators actually are. I thought they would be a lot more cumbersome than it was. The only thing I intend to add going forwards is the Engine Upgrade to give it boost but that means waiting (potentially forever) to get my hands on the YT-1300 expansion