PDA

View Full Version : Can an immobilised skimmer Jink?

jenkatron
11-30-2014, 05:40 PM
As it says on the tin:

Can an immobilised skimmer Jink?

I can't see anywhere that says not. If that's the case:

How dumb is that?

DarkLink
11-30-2014, 06:06 PM
Yes, indeed it can.

ShadowcatX
11-30-2014, 07:47 PM
Its only stupid if you believe that the engine that controls forward thrust is also responsible for the anti-grav. If you think of them as seperate systems then it makes sense.

George Labour
11-30-2014, 08:43 PM
Just imagine it as doing a kind of super mario hop at just the right moment to avoid destruction. Or managing to drive in circles just enough to throw off tracking systems.

John Bower
12-01-2014, 03:18 AM
Just imagine it as doing a kind of super mario hop at just the right moment to avoid destruction. Or managing to drive in circles just enough to throw off tracking systems.

then it would still be dumb as an immobilised vehicle can't even pivot; my mate's WS got shut down like that yesterday, facing a wall and immobilised itself in dangerous terrain. Line of Sight completely blocked to the fore; I was quite chuffed as it shut down his shield blast. Even he thought it was silly that it could jink though and refused to take the jink saves. (He's a very sporting player and still beats the crap out of me every time lol).

jenkatron
12-01-2014, 06:29 AM
Its only stupid if you believe that the engine that controls forward thrust is also responsible for the anti-grav. If you think of them as seperate systems then it makes sense.

That would assume that it is the 'anti grav system' and not the skimmers movement ability that allows it to dodge incoming fire.

(I still don't see that logic)

Wolfshade
12-01-2014, 06:36 AM
It is clearly just obeying the uncertainty principle. Since we know exactly how much the vehicle weighs, and as it is immobilised it cannot move, we therefore know to a high degree of precision what it's momentum is. Consequently, the less we know about it's position, thus making it easier to jink as we don't really know where it is anyway.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/math/b/b/b/bbb1b74b511f868d0882a668de23c111.png

ShadowcatX
12-01-2014, 06:53 AM
That would assume that it is the 'anti grav system' and not the skimmers movement ability that allows it to dodge incoming fire.

(I still don't see that logic)

What do you think helpsna skimmer dodge, the ability to move forward, or the ability to move up and down?

ChacoStylez
12-01-2014, 07:10 AM
Aaaaand this is why I'm enjoying my break from 40K, had to get away from the stupid.

Path Walker
12-01-2014, 08:21 AM
Its just one of those situations when the game expects you to be able to use your better judgement and decide narratively if the immobilised skimmer should be able to use a save to jink out of the way.

Grimnar42
12-01-2014, 05:56 PM
In the rulebook under skimmers and damage results an immobilised skimmer will blah blah "incapable of any further movement including turning on the spot" now the question is is "jink" a form of movement

John Bower
12-01-2014, 06:21 PM
In the rulebook under skimmers and damage results an immobilised skimmer will blah blah "incapable of any further movement including turning on the spot" now the question is is "jink" a form of movement

Technically no; it's a form of cover save... I have to be honest though; I think it's daft a skimmer can immobilise itself in dodgy terrain at all. I mean; it's a skimmer, not even a hovercraft and when do you hear of them getting immobilised over any kind of terrain?

DarkLink
12-01-2014, 08:59 PM

There's no question in the rules that immobilized skimmers can jink, regardless of whether or not it breaks your suspension of disbelief.

Morgrim
12-02-2014, 05:11 AM
Technically no; it's a form of cover save... I have to be honest though; I think it's daft a skimmer can immobilise itself in dodgy terrain at all. I mean; it's a skimmer, not even a hovercraft and when do you hear of them getting immobilised over any kind of terrain?

I am trying and failing to find the photos of it, but a test of a hovercraft on a dried salt lake here a few years ago proved one should never underestimate Murphy and the driver's ability to get the thing stuck on the only rock in the entire lake.

Dave Mcturk
12-02-2014, 08:38 AM
There's no question in the rules that immobilized skimmers can jink, regardless of whether or not it breaks your suspension of disbelief.

gotto love the sense of humour. :cool:

Charistoph
12-02-2014, 09:36 AM

Over? Not really. The problem is that Skimmers cannot stay over the terrain and have to come down to "rest" in the terrain.

Path Walker
12-02-2014, 09:53 AM

Ahhh DarkLink, never change.

Its a narrative wargame, decide what narrativly suits the situation, the rules are more like guidelines.

The rules are to creat a story about the fight happening, suspension of disbelief is infinetly more important to the game than any technicalities of the rules.

DarkLink
12-02-2014, 09:12 PM
Yeah, but you don't need to ask online what the rules you make up for yourself say.

daboarder
12-02-2014, 10:02 PM
Ahhh DarkLink, never change.

Its a narrative wargame, decide what narrativly suits the situation, the rules are more like guidelines.

The rules are to creat a story about the fight happening, suspension of disbelief is infinetly more important to the game than any technicalities of the rules.

why the hell would you tell someone to just make up rules in a forum specifically for people to ask how the rules actually work?

40kGamer
12-02-2014, 10:55 PM
why the hell would you tell someone to just make up rules in a forum specifically for people to ask how the rules actually work?

If we're making things up I have some excellent suggestions. ;) If we're interpreting the weird and wonderful rules from the actual book then RAW an immobilized skimmer can definitely still jink.

DarkLink
12-02-2014, 11:25 PM
I mean, sure, if they ask "I think this rule is silly, what would be a good houserule". But when they ask "can immobilized skimmers jink", the answer is "yes".

John Bower
12-03-2014, 04:56 PM
I mean, sure, if they ask "I think this rule is silly, what would be a good houserule". But when they ask "can immobilized skimmers jink", the answer is "yes".

True but it wouldn't be the Interwebs without some opinion getting stated now would it? I don't think anyone has for one second suggested that the rules state otherwise; just that it does seem silly. the OP got the answer to the question he was looking for; categorically 'yes they can' it's just as usual it goes off on a tangent about whether or not it's a sensible rule which a lot of people would say 'not'.

DarkLink
12-03-2014, 07:02 PM
One or two of the comments were wish-washy on it. That's why Path Walkers comment was odd, no one here has asked anything about what the rules should be, only what they are.

Charistoph
12-03-2014, 11:13 PM
One or two of the comments were wish-washy on it. That's why Path Walkers comment was odd, no one here has asked anything about what the rules should be, only what they are.

Yeah, isn't there another board on this forum for people to post what rules should be?

DarkLink
12-04-2014, 01:26 AM
I only ever use the New Posts thing. Dakka has one, I don't recall there being a homebrew rules thread here. Could be wrong.

Wolfshade
12-04-2014, 02:49 AM
There isn't a homebrew rules thread, there is an entire subforum.

http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/forumdisplay.php?46-Homebrew-Rules