PDA

View Full Version : Tank Overhaul!

Aldramelech
02-08-2010, 02:14 AM
Goodbye

bob9801
02-08-2010, 02:33 AM
Best part is the little bit of primer from one angle. I bought a LR and a chimera in similar shape but I didn't have the voice of reason speaking to me so I paid the initial asking price. I am in the middle of the restorations now.

lobster-overlord
02-08-2010, 05:42 AM
Can't wait for "Extreme Makeover: Machine Spirit Edition"

TSINI
02-08-2010, 07:55 AM
Overhaulin' 40k

Lord Azaghul
02-08-2010, 08:55 AM
We’ve got a guy at my FLGS who seems to use an entire tube of glue to assemble anything!
I’ve noticed the ‘simple green’ will weaken super glue bonds…Good luck which your ‘retro-fitting’!

MarshalAdamar
02-08-2010, 10:04 AM
Wow, I've rescued my share of imperial hard ware (and those that I couldn't save I gave to my ORKS!) but it looks like you have your work cut out for you.

Good luck, I would love to see the finished painted Tank!

Aldramelech
02-08-2010, 10:49 AM
Goodbye

Akkon Sek
02-08-2010, 11:17 AM
Wow... that's, a lot of glue. A lot a lot.

You have your work cut out for you my friend. Though having seen what you can accomplish, if anyone can make this beast presentable... it would be you.

Think I may have found someone who is even more of a masochist than myself. Not sure how I feel about that. :)

-A

EDIT: You may already know this trick, but freeze it. Depending on the type of glue Dr Frankenstein originally used, you may have some luck just flaking a lot of it off once frozen and brittle. Worth a shot anyway.

Aldramelech
02-08-2010, 12:04 PM
Goodbye

Lerra
02-08-2010, 12:37 PM
Acetone will also dissolve superglue very quickly. The tricky part is that high strength acetone will weaken plastic, too. Try it with a sprue to make sure that yours is OK for plastic, and the glue will dissolve away without harming the plastic :)

A few months ago I got a Land Raider Crusader that was in similar or worse condition. It was assembled so poorly that it was being sold as an ork looted wagon (very warped pieces, paint that was so thick that it still felt wet and gooey, you could see daylight through the midsection of the tank, piles of glue, etc). We called it the Ghetto Wagon. I spent 20 hours just returning it to proper shape to start painting, but it turned out to be a fun project. It looks pretty respectable now.

Aldramelech
02-08-2010, 01:50 PM
Goodbye

Akkon Sek
02-08-2010, 02:14 PM
BWAHAHAHAHAHA! He FELL for it! Sucker!

Heh. Just kidding bud. Hopefully it meets with some success.

You can also try to weaken the bond by alternating ice/hot water baths. That has worked for me in the past as well.

archimbald
02-09-2010, 02:08 PM
nothing beats a good scalpel blade and a steady hand. pity the GW ones suck ***