PDA

View Full Version : A Question of Morality

alshrive
11-28-2014, 08:32 AM
I have mentioned this in passing on the X-Wing forum but I feel that it is something that needs more open discussion. I recently ordered a product from a retailer. I ordered and paid for a single one. However it has now been delivered. Twice. I have two of what I wanted but have only paid for one.

What does the great and might interweb feel is the right thing to do?

Do I come clean to retailer and offer to return the extra that they have sent by mistake, or do I be a bit selfish and keep the second one for myself. I know it's only a £20 model and not something of far greater value but the fact of the matter is that the principle is, inherently, still the same whether it was a £20 item or a £2000 item.

What are your thoughts guys?

---update---

I have spoke to the retailer, they appreciated my honesty. Told me not to worry about it and consider it a Christmas present! Thank you interweb-conscience-people!

Mr Mystery
11-28-2014, 08:34 AM
Come clean and let them know.

GW tend to be 'meh, keep it dude', as do Forgeworld.

But honesty is always the best policy.

energongoodie
11-28-2014, 08:36 AM

+1

eldargal
11-28-2014, 08:39 AM
I think keeping it is a neutral choice given you didn't in anyway intend to defraud anyone and it was their accident which led to you getting a second one. But I agree with Mr Mystery that letting them know is a good choice, most often they will write it off as a loss and and not ask for it to be returned especially if it will cost you postage. Making a potential future customer mail things back to them is usually not something businesses go in for.

- - - Updated - - -

Also think it depends on the ratailer. Large corporation like Amazon? **** them. I got sent a load of books twice by accident from Amazon, donated them to a library. That at least would do some good.

Mr Mystery
11-28-2014, 08:41 AM
And then raffle off the spare on here!

alshrive
11-28-2014, 08:42 AM
And then raffle off the spare on here!

Sorry Mystery but if they are nice enough to let me keep it I am pretty sure that 2 YT-2400's could be quite a nice little squadron!

Darren Richardson
11-28-2014, 09:08 AM
If they sent two, then yeah be honest, which I am glad you did.

though saying that I had years ago with some GW figures I brought I noticed it was rather heavier then what I would expect it to be, opened it and inside was double the number of sprues that was meant to be in it (minus the bases though), needless to say at the time I was younger and not so wise and kept them.

In that case it was a packaging error at Manufactorer, so what could I do? after all it was before the Internet was widely available.....

Mr Mystery
11-28-2014, 11:02 AM
Sorry Mystery but if they are nice enough to let me keep it I am pretty sure that 2 YT-2400's could be quite a nice little squadron!

Aww! Bum hats!

Path Walker
11-28-2014, 11:06 AM
Who was the lovely retailer who said you could keep it?

Kirsten
11-28-2014, 03:12 PM
I am always happy to mail stuff back, mistakes happen, not the end of the world. I have a faulty Bolt Action Hetzer and emailed Dark Sphere (where it was bought from) and they just want to photo of the fault to send to Warlord Games for a replacement, they haven't asked for it back.

alshrive
12-02-2014, 04:43 AM
the wonderful company were 365games.co.uk, I was so impressed with their service I've ordered (somewhat hopefully) some more stuff!

Denzark
12-02-2014, 09:31 AM
I think for me depends on the company. If I had received a double order from those Maelstrom idiots towards the end of their car crash I would have kept it. If I had a company that had messed me around and taken a veritable age to deliver something that should be readily available like a codex or something, I would probably also keep the excess. If I was a happy customer or it was a small bespoke company I would prolly get in touch with them.

I wouldn't expect to be out of pocket to fix their error though, so they would have to cover postage.

Rissan4ever
12-02-2014, 11:25 AM

+2

DWest
12-02-2014, 01:21 PM
Funny bit in re: Forgeworld, my buddy who played Tau ordered an R'Alai model, which had not shown up by 29 days after ordering, which was the window FW said "okay, call after this point". So he called, FW said "the post office must've eaten it or something" and sent out a new one. Both R'Alais showed up on the same day. FW said "meh, keep the other one", but then buddy got the boxes open and looked at the assembly, and wondered if FW was actually being nice to him or not . . .

Wildeybeast
12-02-2014, 05:10 PM
You did the right thing morally, but also legally. You have an legal obligation to return stuff given to you by mistake. It's happened before with banks accidentally credit people a bunch of cash and them then spending it and getting prosecuted when the bank goes to reclaim its money.

alshrive
12-03-2014, 02:46 AM
You did the right thing morally, but also legally. You have an legal obligation to return stuff given to you by mistake. It's happened before with banks accidentally credit people a bunch of cash and them then spending it and getting prosecuted when the bank goes to reclaim its money.

Interestingly enough the BBC has just put an article up on this that you might find interesting Wildey
http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/30294748

It must be a more common issue at busier times of year but I was pleasantly surprised to see it made a BBC article today!

Wolfshade
12-03-2014, 03:52 AM
For issues of morality, one first must define what one means by morale, since in this post-modern age there is no universal moral code which we all should abide by.

Wildeybeast
12-03-2014, 03:54 PM
Interestingly enough the BBC has just put an article up on this that you might find interesting Wildey
http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/30294748

It must be a more common issue at busier times of year but I was pleasantly surprised to see it made a BBC article today!

Yes I saw that earlier and thought it was a happy coincidence.

For issues of morality, one first must define what one means by morale, since in this post-modern age there is no universal moral code which we all should abide by.

Morale - the confidence, enthusiasm and discipline of a group or person at a particular time.
http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/morale
Seems fairly straightforward to me.

Wolfshade
12-03-2014, 05:10 PM
damn it, no e :p

[Morale restored!]

Wolfshade
12-16-2014, 06:18 AM
So in the questions of "morality".

If you buy a CD from amazon then you also get the tracks to download for your own pleasure. Now, if the CD is a gift, should you use the tracks or should they belong to the person you are gifting the CD to?

Mr Mystery
12-16-2014, 06:37 AM
Meh.

I dunno.

Morgrim
12-16-2014, 09:49 AM
I would have thought they'd go with the CD. Especially since in many cases the download requires a code that is shipped with the CD, often inside the case, so getting at it involves opening the gift and taking part out before giving it to the recipient.

Wolfshade
12-16-2014, 10:15 AM
Nope, no code just there. And apparently all of my previous purchases are available to download too.

Darren Richardson
12-17-2014, 07:25 AM
I would have thought they'd go with the CD. Especially since in many cases the download requires a code that is shipped with the CD, often inside the case, so getting at it involves opening the gift and taking part out before giving it to the recipient.

no with any CD on Amazon which is part of their AmazonRip service, you get the download copy of the album as soon as they receive payment, and they also send you the physical CD as well, I've used that service quite a few times now.

- - - Updated - - -

Nope, no code just there. And apparently all of my previous purchases are available to download too.

yeah any previous CD you brought if it's part of the service is also included, right thye way back to the start of amazon IIRC....

Kirsten
12-17-2014, 07:27 AM
I wouldn't think it matters that much, you are the one who has paid for it. I get all my music from amazon now, physical copy on order, download MP3 immediately, physical copy goes on the shelf. I bought my mum an album for christmas and am wondering whether or not to download it for myself, might give it a listen, see if it is any good

Wolfshade
12-17-2014, 07:53 AM
This is "now that's what I call teh 90s" I am not really sure that I either want that music in my library or if I should even be mentioning that I bought it for a present.

Darren Richardson
12-17-2014, 08:04 AM
This is "now that's what I call teh 90s" I am not really sure that I either want that music in my library or if I should even be mentioning that I bought it for a present.

meh, it's somewhat more likeable then the current cack that's being played....

Oh and the great thing about Digital Librarys, once you've donwloaded your legally brought album, you can always deleted what tracks you don't like....