PDA

View Full Version : Looking to get an airbrush

Lord Inquisitor
02-07-2010, 05:16 PM
Does anyone have any suggestions for airbrushes and a compressor? Someone suggested this website, I'd only buy the ones less than $120. Are any of those good, or does anyone have better suggestions?
http://www.tcpglobal.com/airbrushdepot/aztek-airbrushes.aspx#AztekSystems

wittdooley
02-07-2010, 05:20 PM
I hate to tell you man, but you're not going to be able to get a good airbrush and a compressor new for $120. Just ain't happening. You're probably looking at $120 for a decent compressor alone (and that's low...)

Akkon Sek
02-07-2010, 05:29 PM
I use Pache w/compressor myself, but unfortunately a decent model of that brand alone will spike your 120 limit. As has been said, a respectable small compressor will run you approximately 150 if you find a good deal.

A stop-gap solution would be use your funds to acquire good airbrush and utilize canned air until you can afford a decent compressor. Three problems with canned air:

1) Finite amount of pressure. Never lasts as long as you'd like. And it can be hard to regulate that PSI (especially as it gets colder). May lead to spikes in pressure and splotching.

2) In use, the can itself gets extremely cold. Cold enough to frost the outside. This can be remedied somewhat by submersing in warm water. As you can imagine, this gets to be a real pain.

3) Cost. I haven't checked in quite some time, but those cans aren't cheap. Last I recall they were 10.00+ a pop.

Hope this has been somewhat helpful.

-A

Brass Scorpion
02-07-2010, 05:41 PM
Try Bearair.com for about 40% off list all the time. As for recommendations, get a compressor with the auto-shutoff. It's more money, but worth it. Badger 150 sets are fine all around air brushes with good versatility, easy to use for beginners and sophisticated enough to please vets. It will take multiple needles sizes and grow as your ability grows. Definitely get a double-action brush, not single.

If you're in the US, Michael's and A.C.Moore regularly have 40% off one item and even 50% off one item in the store coupons. You can use one to get your airbrush and then go back in a week or so with another coupon and buy the compressor.

Akkon Sek
02-07-2010, 06:00 PM
Definitely get a double-action brush, not single.

I completely agree that the results with a double-action are infinitely better, it's worth noting that there can be a not insignificant learning curve associated with DA brushes.

I don't know Lord Inquisitor's skill level as it stands today, but it can be somewhat intimidating trying to master painting technique and flow control all at once. That being said: the extra effort to learn it all at once is worth it in the end result.

Felt it worth mentioning, as I personally had a hell of a time with it.

Lord Inquisitor
02-07-2010, 09:28 PM
My skill level is a wopping 0. So a total newb. Could you also tell me some specific specs to look for in a brush and compressor, like how horsepower it should have and like nozel width. I'm looking to paint my tanks with this.

fade_74
02-07-2010, 09:52 PM
start with a .5 nozzle then work your way down. .5 does a great job on tanks, valks etc. It will also be alot more forgiving if your paint isnt thin enough or has debris in it. Get a double action brush. period. Learning to control the flow as you go shouldnt be to much of a problem. Hold down the button and pull back till you get just the paint flow you want. Practice it on scrap models, an old chunk of wood, or a picture of and ex girlfriend. Lots of people don't like cheap compressors but I have one and it is fine. If you are an "artiste" the pulsing action of a compressor without a tank can screw you up. But with models, the reason you use an airbrush is to get the random, natural look to your paint. So, IMHO the minor pulsing doesnt hurt. I use a master g43 airbrush (tcpglobal carries them). They are a knockoff of more expensive brushes, but mine works just great. at 60 bucks, its a steal. I use an airbrush depot tc 15 compressor (also from tcp) at 70 bucks its cheap and fits my needs. Im sure that people are going to gasp and holler that you shouldnt use such crappy stuff. But hey, It works. I have a post up somewhere here with a bunch of my models on it. The tanks were all painted with that airbrush and comp. I am also posting a new Valk (pry tomorrow) that turned out REALLY great. Also painted with the above tools.

plasticaddict
02-07-2010, 09:54 PM
Speaking for myself I use the GW airbrush on my tanks I did go out and get a low end compressor (on sale for $30 about the cost of two cans of air) to use with it. It works fine for base coating and doing simple camo patterns, however it isn't a good for detail work. I'm not much pof a painter however some of the guys in my group are and they all agree that the GW airbrush is fine for doing vehicles and terrain just not for details.

Lord Inquisitor
02-07-2010, 10:26 PM
At fade 74,
Your tanks look great! I will be very happy if I can do mine to that quality. Could you tell me how you did everything on the tank, like what was airbrushed and how you weathered?
Also I plan to paint my tanks the Urban Rubble scheme.
http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/content/article.jsp?categoryId=400032&pIndex=1&aId=2400009&start=2

gorepants
02-07-2010, 10:33 PM
My skill level is a wopping 0. So a total newb. Could you also tell me some specific specs to look for in a brush and compressor, like how horsepower it should have and like nozel width. I'm looking to paint my tanks with this.

Like fade says, except I'd add...

Ideally you want a decent double action with a wide and fine nozzle. Little point getting a cheap one since it wont work as well and it will limit how much you can learn. I'd get the best you can afford. Internal mix is better than external (more consistent patterning), and make sure you can easily disassemble it for cleaning. I recently bought an aztec A4809 (I think) with half a dozen nozzles ($153.56 on your site). I'm happy with it (it works a little differently from most, though mine came with an instruction video). My only complaint is that the grip is the wrong shape - it appears to be made for people with tiny hands but it could just be me. I'll gaffer tape it up sometime and it should be fine. The nozzles also stick sometimes when you assemble it, so you have touch them with a bit of sprue or something soft to get them to open. You want a small cup so you don't waste paint (and so you don't use too much in one go and acrylics don't dry out in the nozzle). Their cheaper ones should be fine if you don't beat them up.

Ideally for a compressor you want
20-25psi, adjustable pressure regulator, moisture trap. A tank is good but not needed. Best place to buy is a hardware store since they'll be a fair bit cheaper (I picked up a big 125psi, 2?HP with tank for AU$175, this was for doing engine work on my vespa, so is several times bigger than I'd use for painting! It's not trade quality but will last long enough). I've got a second smaller compressor that I use for airbrushing since the big one is hella noisy (~20psi, don't now the hp, or the price, had it for 15 years). It runs fine without a tank, and with the regulator and . Buy the airbrush first, this will tell you what size fittings you need, then get matching parts, you can then buy the just the bits you need.

You're better off not getting a 'hobby' compressor. The cheap ones tend to be rubbish and overheat, fail to lubricate and otherwise be a pain. For the price you can get better ones.

fade_74
02-08-2010, 05:10 PM
At fade 74,
Your tanks look great! I will be very happy if I can do mine to that quality. Could you tell me how you did everything on the tank, like what was airbrushed and how you weathered?
Also I plan to paint my tanks the Urban Rubble scheme.
http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/content/article.jsp?categoryId=400032&pIndex=1&aId=2400009&start=2

I could right for days on the painting, but I would rather be painting lol. If I were you I would check out "How to paint citadel tanks" and "Imperial armour masterclass" Those books will show you more and explain far better than I ever could. I use all GW paints, thinned with plain old rubbing alcohol. I use MIG pigments weathering powders for the dust effects. I use Oil paint washes to get that "greasy" looking shading. If I were doing that urban rubble camo, I would pry basecoat the whole thing with adeptus battlegrey. Then highlight with a mix of that and commando khaki. Then mask it off for your stripes. Then paint those with fortress grey, and highlight with Fort grey and a bit of white.

Lord Inquisitor
02-09-2010, 06:40 PM
I've actually narrowed my choice down to a set with a Model TC-20 compressor with either a Badger CrescendoŽ 175-7 Complete Airbrush Set or a Master Performance Multi-Purpose Series
Airbrush Model G25 made by master. I can get both of these new off of ebay for $155 with shipping. What would you suggest?

fade_74
02-10-2010, 07:49 PM
I like the master brushes....but badger has a better reputation. So I would probably go with badger. Cuz who the hell am I to argue with the masses? lol