PDA

View Full Version : Black Library: Nemesis

Herald of Nurgle
02-07-2010, 07:34 AM
http://www.blacklibrary.com/images/large/Nemesis.jpg
(Sorry, couldn't resize it)

Anyone got an idea what this one's about? Looks like a book on the Webway project.

Artein
02-07-2010, 08:18 AM
Horus sends an assassin to kill the Emperor.
Emperor sends an assassin to kill Horus.

Akkon Sek
02-07-2010, 08:20 AM
I can't speak to the content, but the cover art is phenomenal!

The only question in my mind: is that a Culexus in the foreground and a Eversor in the back, vice versa... or are they the same? That _appears_ to be an Animus Speculum, but look closely at the hands. Could be a Neuro-gauntlet and that sure looks like a Needler/Bolter combo on his wrist.

Meh... what do I know?

-A

david5th
02-07-2010, 10:41 AM
The beginnings of the Officio Assassinorum perhaps.:confused:

Artein
02-07-2010, 01:01 PM
This:

After Istvaan V, Horus declares outright war against the Imperium. In the shadows of the Emperor's Palace, powerful figures convene. Their plan - to send a team of assassins to execute the arch-traitor Horus and end the war for the galaxy of mankind before it's even begun. But what they cannot know is that another assassin is abroad already, with his sights firmly set on killing the Emperor.

david5th
02-07-2010, 01:05 PM
This: After Istvaan V, Horus declares outright war against the Imperium. In the shadows of the Emperor's Palace, powerful figures convene. Their plan - to send a team of assassins to execute the arch-traitor Horus and end the war for the galaxy of mankind before it's even begun. But what they cannot know is that another assassin is abroad already, with his sights firmly set on killing the Emperor.

Where was this quoted from?

Fantomex
02-07-2010, 02:18 PM
Where was this quoted from?

It's the blurb on the back of the book.:D

Drew da Destroya
02-07-2010, 02:34 PM
I figure it'll cover the war within the Assassin Temples... Doesn't the Grand Master get assassinated early on, fracturing the 6 major temples?

Akkon Sek
02-07-2010, 02:40 PM
I figure it'll cover the war within the Assassin Temples... Doesn't the Grand Master get assassinated early on, fracturing the 6 major temples?

Unfortunately, no. It pertains to something much less enthralling (as Artein detailed). Assassins charged with eliminating the Corpse God and Horus, respectively.

Too bad. I would have been interested in an "assassins war" premise (with corresponding background & fluff fodder).

This? Not so much.

-A

RogueGarou
02-07-2010, 03:27 PM
The conflict within the Officio Assassinorum came much later after Heresy. It is detailed in the 2E and 3E Codex Assassins books. It boils down to a conflict of personalities between two Assassins, one Callidus and one Vindicare. They are the most talented of their respective Temples and are both in line to be tapped to replace the current Grand Master of Assassins in the High Lords of Terra upon the death of the Grand Master. The Callidus will be chosen but he is dispatched on a very important mission with a team of Callidus Assassins and, due to the length of time they are out of contact on the assignment, presumed killed in action when the Grand Master dies. The Vindicare is then named to the position of Grand Master. When the Callidus returns, he expects he will be named Grand Master with the successful completion of such a vital and daring mission only to find that his rival has taken the position. He hatches a plan to have the Vindicare killed and he will replace him with his ability to change his appearance. The Grand Master learns something of the plot and has a Callidus loyal to him begin to impersonate him. That Callidus is then killed in secret and replaced by the villainous Callidus. The true Grand Master begins to investigate matters and finds a great deal of corruption within the organization and decides that the only way to purge the Officio of corruption is to tear the entire organization down and allow it to be rebuilt by those who follow. In the end, the villainous Callidus is killed and left to be interred as the true Grand Master while he retires into seclusion so that the new Officio will have no leadership left with ties to the old way of doing things. If you can find either of the old Assassins Codici, it's a decent read.

Cryl
02-08-2010, 02:12 AM
The cover art is amazing and the plot sounds really interesting, it's nice to see other areas of the 40k universe being explored in this series and not just the legions, although those are good too