PDA

View Full Version : Telly chit-chat-chin-wag

Pages : [1] 2

Mr Mystery
11-18-2014, 06:56 AM
How do?

So at present, I am watching.....

Walking Dead - keeps getting better.

Dr Who - Well, I was, but season has finished.

Constantine - Really, really good. Available on Amamamamazon Prime, and I highly recommend it (both Prime and Constantine for that matter)

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. - Took a while, but feet found.

Stuff I'm trying to like...

Gotham - Yeah. Reminds me of the first half of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. a lot of promise, but not much being delivered on at the moment. I hope it does get better and more compelling.

Arrow - Just can't get into it. No reason why either, which is irritating.

Anyone else?

eldargal
11-18-2014, 07:02 AM
Star Wars Rebels - the bestest
Homeland
Agents of Shield
Castle
Elementary
Gotham - delivering more than AoS did in its first season I think
Once Upon a Time
Brooklyn Nine Nine
Sleepy Hollow

Mr Mystery
11-18-2014, 07:11 AM
I'm finding Gotham somewhat repetitive.

Last weeks was fun (with that Viper drug), and I hope they get this gang war properly underway sooner rather than later. If not a very cool premise could fall away into 'meh'.

And yeah - Rebels is acecakes.

Should probably try the others you've listed.

Asymmetrical Xeno
11-18-2014, 07:34 AM
Twin Peaks and 60's Outer limits for me.

"True Detective" is next on the list as that one sounds right up my street.

Wolfshade
11-18-2014, 08:28 AM
Castle
Elementary

-- seconded

American Horror Story,
Borgais
Orange is the new black

Brakkart
11-18-2014, 09:44 AM
Very much enjoying the following:

Arrow
The Flash
Agents of SHIELD
Doctor Who (though was more miss than hit last season for me)
Constantine
Game of Thrones
All DC Animated Movies

Also recently watched and enjoyed:

Prof. Brian Cox's Human Universe - evolutionary science series
Tom Kerridge's Best Ever Dishes - cookery series
Frankenstein & The Vampyre - drama documentary

Tried and not at all a fan of:

Gotham - If they had just set this 10 years later it would be interesting, but as it is it's just p*ssing all over Batman continuity and I hate it. Well acted, looks good and I pray it gets canned after 1 series.

Looking ahead I'm eager to see Agent Carter, the various Netflix Marvels mini series and the planned Supergirl show.

Mr Mystery
11-18-2014, 09:48 AM
Ooh, also watching Penny Dreadful - it's fun enough, kind of like Supernatural meets Ripper Street via League of Extraordinary Gentlemen.

Denzark
11-18-2014, 03:29 PM
Penny Dreadful - awesome.
Ripper Street - WTF BBC stop making crap like strictly and pay for Ripper Street III I don't even know about poxy amazon channel.

Peaky Blinders - brummy 20s gangsters with Lewis guns. Awesome.

Mr Mystery
11-18-2014, 03:36 PM
Spartacus War of the Damned tonight.

Very, very silly programme. Not one of the historically fussed.

Big, daft, overblown, camper than a field of Frenchmen - but glorious telly all the same!

Wolfshade
11-18-2014, 04:39 PM
Peaky Blinders - brummy 20s gangsters with Lewis guns. Awesome.

I live peaky blinders every day...

Denzark
11-18-2014, 04:47 PM
wow I envy you!

Wolfshade
11-18-2014, 04:50 PM
only it is more lewis bags than lewis guns...

Mr Mystery
11-20-2014, 10:13 AM
Still finding Gotham a bit shonky. Good bits are ace, other bits not so much.

But, with Penguin now having revealed himself to the coppers, might start picking up.....

In other telly - old stuff.

Greatly enjoying Tales of the Unexpected, even if they're not entirely unexpected, they're still decent entertainment. Got the complete series on DVD to chew through!

Al Shut
11-20-2014, 12:07 PM
I'm limited to free German satellite TV so I'm 1-2 years behind on almost everything.

Elementary is great and in fact better than Sherlock.

I enjoy Warehouse 13 a lot

What was the show with the terrorists and the policewoman from the future? Does it still exist?

I really wanted to watch a Swedish show about robots, called Real Humans over here, but unfortunately I missed most episodes.

Currently I'm enjoying the witch season of American Horror Story, while I somehow missed getting into the first season and thought the second had just to many things going on (something I usually claim to be impossible)

Borgais

Assuming you meant Borgias, with or without Jeremy Irons

Wolfshade
11-20-2014, 02:00 PM
Sorry, Borgia, not The Borgias.

Also yes! Elementary > Sherlock.

Darren Richardson
11-20-2014, 05:26 PM
Spartacus War of the Damned tonight.

Very, very silly programme. Not one of the historically fussed.

Big, daft, overblown, camper than a field of Frenchmen - but glorious telly all the same!

I don't know, it's slightly more acurate then the Movie Spartacus ever was, but oh so ruder and gorier, Highly recomend to anyone :D

Watched Dr Who recently very hit and miss.

Watching Agents of Shield at the moment, slow start again I think, but stronger then the 1st season.

Have been binging on Dreamworks Dragons series lately, very well writen despite being a Cartoon Network TV series for kids....

Strangely am I the only one looking foward to the new series of Call the Midewife that's supposed to be coming out later this year/early next year, most likely the last.... But I really have enjoyed watching those...

I'm waiting for them to bring out the complete Boardwalk empire to take a holiday and binge watch the whole lot, best Gangester series in recent times, Better then the Sopranos, yes I said that :D

eldargal
11-20-2014, 11:35 PM
Sorry, Borgia, not The Borgias.

Also yes! Elementary > Sherlock.

The Borgia's with Jeremy Irons is fantastic, so sad it was cancelled.

Elementary is so, so much better than Sherlock it isn't funny. Sherlock is easily the worst interpretation of Sherlock Holmes I have ever seen.

Wolfshade
11-21-2014, 03:14 AM
I originaly stumbled upon Borgia while looking for the The Borgais, I do intend to watch The Borgais, but once I've finished the new season of Borgia then Battle Star.

Anthrax ion pusscabe
12-03-2014, 11:12 PM
I've discovered the new series of whose line is it anyway and have been watching that, man has the bald one not aged grass fully at all
I've also been watching pretty much anything on history channel, so a whole lot of stuff on the world wars as here in Australia they are celebrating the 100 years of the australian military, though what I call conspiracy theory Thursday still happens
I've also discovered the show mountain monsters, basically a group of rednecks carrying shotguns through woodlands trying to capture things like Bigfoot and werewolves and other crypto zoologicals
Though other then that not much

Mr Mystery
12-04-2014, 05:50 AM
Snow Mountain Monsters sounds fun!

Gotham - still struggling, but giving it the same chance I gave Agents of SHIELD.

Agents of SHIELD - keeps improving.

Walking Dead - Very, very good mid-seasons finale/cliffhanger.

Also picked up Twilight Zone (complete), Tales from the Darkside (complete) and finally, at long last, begun upgrading my Dr Who VHS collection to DVD. Now have all of Colin Baker and Sylvester McCoy. Colin Baker - I may have misjudged him somewhat. On the face of it, terrible stories, poor effects etc. But when you dig into the history - Controller of BBC out to shut down the programme, cut budget, constant interference, you can't help but soften a little on actors clearly making the best of a bad job.

eldargal
12-04-2014, 06:49 AM
Preferring Gotham to AoS honestly, though AoS has improved a lot I think Gotham has been faster out of the gate and continuing to improve more rapidly than AoS.

Mr Mystery
12-04-2014, 06:51 AM
I think it has promise certainly, but just finding it very, very samey.

Once the gang war kicks off proper will be the proof of the pudding (think I've said similar before?)

Wolfshade
12-04-2014, 07:05 AM
I've just started to watch the Tudors. If I ignore the myriad historical innaccuracies it is quite enyojable.

Mr Mystery
12-04-2014, 07:06 AM
I've just started to watch the Tudors. If I ignore the myriad historical innaccuracies it is quite enyojable.

Always the key to good telly enjoyment - remember it's not real :p

Need to stop buying DVDs for a bit. I have established quite the viewing backlog, dontcha know!

Wolfshade
12-04-2014, 07:15 AM
It is terrible, people are marrying the wrong people, they are dieing in the wrong times, they are wearing the wrong clothes I am surprised they even got Henry's name right.

Mr Mystery
12-04-2014, 07:19 AM
I suppose that is annoying.

But from what I'm told it's otherwise very good. Think I tried watching it once?

eldargal
12-04-2014, 07:28 AM

I tried to watch it for Natalie Dormer but couldn't get past everything else.

Mr Mystery
12-04-2014, 07:30 AM
Just thinking.....

I reckon Gotham might click more with me if I binge watch it. That way the plot develops at a more recognisable place.

Hmm.

eldargal
12-04-2014, 07:41 AM
Couldn't hurt.

I miss Star Wars Rebels.:(

Mr Mystery
12-04-2014, 07:43 AM
So it's not just me then?

WTF happened? Have they just stopped broadcasting it?

eldargal
12-04-2014, 07:47 AM
Yep Christmas break due to non-ratings period or somethin, stats up again in January. Could be worse, when Once Upon A Time finishes it doesn't start back up until March.><

Mr Mystery
12-04-2014, 07:52 AM
Laaaaaaaaaaame.

Walking Dead and all. Super-lame!

Still, 3 weeks until Dr Who Chrimbo speshul, which is nice.

Plus whatever other goodies crop up on the screen!

Wolfshade
12-04-2014, 08:10 AM
I tried to watch it for Natalie Dormer but couldn't get past everything else.

At the moment that is a good anchor, though i still initially think of her as Moriarty

eldargal
12-04-2014, 08:14 AM
She is the best Moriarty! A thousand times better than the little **** on Sherlock.

Wolfshade
12-04-2014, 08:23 AM
Elementary > Sherlock QED.

Mr Mystery
12-04-2014, 10:30 AM
Will check out Elementary.

Had been put off by Lucy Liu.

eldargal
12-04-2014, 10:32 AM
She's really good in it. Never been her biggest fan but she is really, really good as Watson.

YorkNecromancer
12-04-2014, 11:10 AM
See, based on her performance as Moriarty, Dormer is my number one pick for the the first female Doctor on 'Who'. She's relentlessly watchable in everything she's in, and easily the best Moriarty on television (though Jared Harris' performance remains - for me at least - the best screen Moriarty, despite the fact that 'A Game of Shadows' was a bloated mess of a film).

Definitely agree that Elementary > Sherlock. And I like Sherlock. It's just too winkingly clever/gameplayingly meta for its own good. There's too much jokey stuff, too many winks to camera about the fans, and they miss the point that Watson's not a blithering numpty, nor is he there to be the straight man; he doesn't need Sherlock, Sherlock needs him. He goes away, has his own life, but comes back because his friend needs him. Lucy Liu's Watson is absolutely the very best since David Burke and Edward Hardwicke (both of whom were so good in the role, I refuse to choose). The fact they've openly said that Elementary is a bromance where one of the bros is female elevates it for me; frankly I've had more than enough of UST on TV shows (ever since the repulsive Peter/Olivia romance on 'Fringe' that was so deathly dull it nearly sank the show).

The addition of Kitty as Holmes' protege has been a real shot in the arm to a series that was already brilliant, and there's a beautifully developing set of character dynamics armound Holmes, without ever losing sight of him as the star. Not to mention the most darkly manipulative Mycroft in a good long while. Rhys Ifans brought actual threat to the role, something Mark Gatiss never quite managed.

Elementary is bloody excellent, and easily the best modern adaption of Holmes to date.

eldargal
12-05-2014, 02:19 AM
I was expecting Kitty to be a disaster, like it would set up some kind of thing where Watson realised she needed to be his protege still but I was so wrong, she has been fantastic.

Wolfshade
12-05-2014, 02:49 AM
I am pleased that Kitty isn't just some form of Watson clone and a plot device to get them back together.

Mr Mystery
12-05-2014, 03:25 AM
Oh, and everyone - check out Constantine on Amazon Prime.

It's really, really good.

13 Episodes being made, and may yet be picked up for a second season.

Think Supernatural, but better. And with a mouthy Scouser for a lead.

Wolfshade
12-05-2014, 03:33 AM
I've jsut thrown away my 30day free trail of prime

Mr Mystery
12-05-2014, 04:11 AM
I've just received two - and it gives you a free £5 Amamamamazon voucher, which is nice.

Will dig them out when I get home and PM you the code if you like.

Arkhan Land
12-05-2014, 11:09 AM
I'm re-watching babylon 5 for the 5th or 6th time, then onto the only season of Above and Beyond

Mr Mystery
12-05-2014, 11:28 AM
Good taste Sir!

Sadly, I have to report that despite having had it for over a year, I still haven't watched Above and Beyond.

I'm a terrible nerd sometimes :(

Wolfshade
12-06-2014, 02:00 PM
Thinking about Babylon 5 reminded me of this : http://www.starwreck.com/

well worth a watch :)

Mr Mystery
12-06-2014, 02:36 PM
Gotham is getting better.

Agents of SHIELD when I get in.

Then moar Constantines.

Asymmetrical Xeno
12-06-2014, 06:05 PM
Does anyone know if there are any lovecraftian TV shows? period (or contemporary) detective stuff with cosmic horror/mythos stuff?

Dying to watch something like this lately but can't seem to find anything :(

YorkNecromancer
12-06-2014, 07:01 PM
Does anyone know if there are any lovecraftian TV shows? period (or contemporary) detective stuff with cosmic horror/mythos stuff?

There's not anything period that I know of.

In terms of atmosphere, 'True Detective' season 1 is pretty explictly a Lovecraft tale, despite the ostensible absence of gribbly things with tentacles. It certainly hit all my Lovecraft buttons.

They're a bit older now, but 'Buffy' and especially 'Angel' were quite obviously Lovecraft-inspired; they took all the themes of Lovecraft, then used humour and lampshade hanging to allow everyone to enjoy it. Season 5 of Buffy had a genuine Elder God as the villain, and 'Angel's entire plot arc from season 2-4 was about an Elder God gaining access to this world... Not to mention an Elder God bound to human form joining Team Angel towards the end of season 4 and being far and away one of the more interesting characters.

It's not Lovecraftian (because it's mostly a sort of updated cyberpunk), but 'Person Of Interest' is dealing with the idea of omnipotent, malign superintelligences quite nicely as of season 4.

Your main problem with Lovecraft is that horror TV series are rare as rocking horse s*** in the first place, and Lovecraft's kind of goofy, all told. There's some great ideas in there, really great, but they're so bleak, and all the stories are kind of the same, not to mention the deplorable racism... So he's kind of a hard sell. The period drama thing is something you'd think would work, but honestly, the kind of people who want period drama and the kind of people who like stories about octopus-headed monsters, well... There's not a whole lot of overlap there.

Yeah, basically 'True Detective' is it, I'm afraid.

Kirsten
12-06-2014, 08:34 PM
there was a Masters of Horror tv series years ago, a load of big name directors did one tv film each, I seem to recall there being something like a dozen episodes. a couple of them I think were based on Lovecraft, pretty sure I watched Dreams in the Witch House...

yes, here it is

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Masters_of_Horror

Asymmetrical Xeno
12-06-2014, 10:07 PM
Ah, depressing. I loved True Detective - very very close to what I wanted, hopefully they will do another series. The king in yellow was one of my mythos books too. If it had some weird otherworldly creatures glimped vaguely, it would of been 100% what I want to see.

I also really enjoyed the series Carnivale for strange period stuff - infact HBO have done a lot of weird period based stuff I have enjoyed over the years. Also really liked stuff like Twin Peaks.

As for lovecraft - perhaps i should of specified "mythos writers", he may of started the mythos but he was nowhere near the best writer (infact I only like 5 or 6 stories and I wish he never even invented Cthulhu, especially considering the overwhelming focus and amount of awful media based on it - this probably makes me a heretic when it comes to mythos fans lol)

edit - person of interest sounds very cool! I love detective stuff with SF/fantasy/horror elements in general. Thanks for mentioning that one :D

Arkhan Land
12-07-2014, 08:17 AM
If you love lovecraft it might be time for you to watch all the way through the og Outer Limits
glass of wine and cigar in hand of course

eldargal
12-07-2014, 08:25 AM
Really looking forward to Galavant:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HebCU8X34JE

Al Shut
12-07-2014, 10:21 AM
American Horror Story should do a Lovecraft sesaon, that would be awesome²

Aenir
12-07-2014, 08:54 PM
The Librarians has been pretty good :)

Mr Mystery
12-08-2014, 07:15 AM
That starts tonight in the UK.

Shall give it a spin - kind of enjoyed the Noah Wyle TV movies, so series ought to tickle me too!

eldargal
12-08-2014, 07:20 AM
Three weeks until the next episode of Star Wars Rebels should be available on DisneyXD.><

Mr Mystery
12-08-2014, 08:19 AM
Yay!

Empire Day is the last one they showed here in the UK yeah?

eldargal
12-08-2014, 08:26 AM
Not sure, been getting them off DisneyXD so lost track of where the rest of you are up to.:p Empire Day is the second last episode to air so far before the hiatus.

Mr Mystery
12-08-2014, 09:44 AM
Think it's the last one aired in the UK - certainly it's the only one on Disney XD's Sky catch up service thing.

Really hoping we get arcing plot kicked off with the rescure of Tseebo and his brain implant thing. Much promise!

Wolfshade
12-08-2014, 10:13 AM
That starts tonight in the UK.

Shall give it a spin - kind of enjoyed the Noah Wyle TV movies, so series ought to tickle me too!

What channel?

Mr Mystery
12-08-2014, 10:24 AM
Sy-Fy. Not sure on the time, but defo this evening.

Mr Mystery
12-10-2014, 01:50 PM
Regular Show.

Cartoon Network.

That is all.

Wolfshade
12-15-2014, 01:57 PM
So any thoughts about the librarian?

Not sure about it, or it could be the terrible "london" episode urhg.

Mr Mystery
12-15-2014, 02:21 PM
Haven't watched it yet.

Got an episode recorded though.

Wolfshade
12-15-2014, 02:25 PM
I just watched two back to back from last week

Al Shut
12-24-2014, 04:04 AM
Right now I'm enjoying the first season of the recent BBC Musketeers series.

Mr Mystery
12-24-2014, 04:17 AM
Restarted Deep Space Nine this week.

Best. Star Trek. EVAR.

Especially Grand Nagus Zek. Besterest character ever!

http://rindastartrekds9.files.wordpress.com/2012/02/thenagus076.jpg

YorkNecromancer
12-24-2014, 06:52 PM
My GF and I were discussing the Ferengi last night, and how they failed at being the Big Bad they were supposed to be. Which was gutting, when their whole thing was supposed to be 'We're evil capitalists!'

So we came up with a retweak. First of all, lose the Rules of Acquisition fantasy nonsense, and make them Bioshock's-Rapture-But-Before-The-Fall Ayn Rand Objectivists. Quark is Andrew Ryan after all! Give them a culture where altruism is regarded as a deadly sin, and make them ruthlessly amoral, but with a thick patina of dark glamour; they have a culture built entirely around advertising, celebrities and consumption - make them a satire on those parts of that specifically American culture of the best cars, the best suits, the rolex, the champagne, the need to always be one step above the next guy. Gordon Gekko should be the aim, not some silly merchant.

Next, you have to keep them small; that's another part of their thing. So how are they a threat? Give 'em ED-209 style mechs - they do all their fighting with heavy robots and transferengi technology; show how the Ferengi exploit their lower classes by forcing augmentation on them so they can be better soldiers... all at the cost of free will (which is something the exceptional sci-fi series 'Continuum' did very well). Make a point that because they so ruthlessly exploit one another, they can go toe-to-toe with the Klingons (who may be better warriors, but who are inferior soldiers).

Then just make a point that the boss Ferengi? They never get their hands dirty. It's beneath them. Like the incarcerated Godfathers who run the prisons without ever needing to shank someone themselves, the boss Ferengi are above violence.

Take away the silly comedy, lose the silly big ear thing, and make the Ferengi into a viable threat.

Darren Richardson
12-25-2014, 03:01 AM
You know Yorkie, that would work very well IMHO, I always thought of them as a bit of a joke to be honest....

Mr Mystery
12-25-2014, 04:45 AM
I like them as they are :p

Also, working on American Horror Story....

eldargal
12-25-2014, 04:45 AM
They were supposed to represent unfettered capitalism yet they came over as a joke which is what YorkN is getting at I think. You only have to look at how slave labour is utilised in China and other countries to feed Western capitalism, or even how American workers are treated on a somewhat more lenient level to see how horrible that society could be and yet all we get is jokes and 'hurhur the wimmins is nude at home' and a female emancipation storyline where a guy ends up doing all the work anyway.

Mr Mystery
12-25-2014, 01:08 PM
Doctor Who is being suitably daft!

Darren Richardson
12-25-2014, 03:43 PM
mehh, it's just a rehash of of a 11th Doctor story with a slightly different cause to the same effect....

Did watch Call The Midwife afterwards, top notch as usual, made me cry, which doesn't happen often.

Wildeybeast
12-25-2014, 05:20 PM
So any thoughts about the librarian?

Not sure about it, or it could be the terrible "london" episode urhg.

Im kind of enjoying it. Certainly worth preserving with. This weeks Christmas special managed the balance between fantasy adventure and seasonal syrup just about right. It helped they had the mighty Bruce Campbell playing Santa.

Mr Mystery
12-26-2014, 07:48 AM
Currently enjoying Professor Branestawm.

Mr Mystery
12-26-2014, 01:55 PM
Agents of SHIELD = brilliant!

Kirsten
12-26-2014, 06:41 PM
Brian Pern: A Life in Rock, hilarious.

Darren Richardson
12-27-2014, 03:11 AM

Seconded :D

Psychosplodge
12-30-2014, 10:11 AM
Got the battlestar galactica boxset for xmas so that's a big chunk of my future tv accounted for, and saw a couple of episodes of vikings on sky while was down at the SOs enjoyed it so got the first series off amazon today for £16 which didn't seem bad.

40kGamer
12-30-2014, 10:38 AM

Took a while to find a good footing but it's pretty sweet now!

Erik Setzer
12-30-2014, 11:27 AM
Finally starting on Agents of SHIELD myself, though I feel I would have improved my enjoyment of the series and Captain America 2 if I'd been watching it all along. I'm only a couple episodes in, but enjoying it. Those seem to be a prolonged "get to know the crew" set of episodes, I can deal with that.

Plus, 44 minutes away from my computer is a good thing. (I can use the treadmill, weights, etc. while watching TV; not so much while playing a game on the computer.)

I have a lot of shows piling up, but I'm bad about watching much TV. I'm still not ready to try to get back into The Walking Dead after it hit a brick wall for me a few episodes into season 3. I need to get through The Borgias now that it's over (which is ironic, because my friend keeps telling everyone how I introduced her to it, and I only caught the first couple episodes so far). Shows like Gotham and Flash seem interesting, and Arrow seems to get some decent mentions. And there's old series I've got on Netflix that I didn't catch the first time around (i.e. most of Farscape).

Aenir
12-30-2014, 12:58 PM
Wanna toss something in there that surprised the hell out of me...

Jim Henson's Creature Shop... Yes its one of those reality/contest shows, but what they do is really interesting :)

Asymmetrical Xeno
12-30-2014, 03:10 PM
Do animes count? At the moment, watching this weird Anime called Parasyte the maxim that reminds me a lot of John Carpenters The Thing and Invasion Of The Body Snatchers. These alien parasites eat peoples brains and mimic them and take over their bodies and lives but the twist here is that some of them "fail" and so the main character has an alien parasite for a hand and how the two kind of form this weird bond.

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa207/embodiedscrew/Parasyte1_zps4de6e3b2.png

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa207/embodiedscrew/Parasyte2_zps19f94a5b.png

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa207/embodiedscrew/Parasyte3_zps2ac6d646.png

Kirsten
01-01-2015, 03:52 PM
Esio Trot on BBC iPlayer, the wonderful Roald Dahl book turned in to a bbc film starring Dustin Hoffman and Dame Judi Dench. loved it.

Wolfshade
01-01-2015, 04:31 PM
Ah yes, the moral of the story, don't trust the creepy man who lives in the flat above you as he will try trick and deceive you in order to gain affection.

Mr Mystery
01-02-2015, 03:23 PM
Graham Linehan considering Douglas Reynholm spin off.... (http://www.denofgeek.com/tv/douglas-reynholm-spinoff/33484/graham-linehan-considering-douglas-reynholm-spin-off)

FATHEEEEEEEER!

Kirsten
01-02-2015, 03:24 PM
wasn't a fan of Douglas, preferred Denholm. I do like Matt Berry though.

Mr Mystery
01-02-2015, 04:12 PM
Electric Sex Pants.....

Also - Star Wars Rebels is back on. Woop!

Kirsten
01-02-2015, 04:17 PM
the electric sex pants were quite funny

eldargal
01-03-2015, 01:52 AM
Iy was a good episode of Rebels, needed more Hera and Sabine though.

Mr Mystery
01-20-2015, 01:05 PM
Constantine has returned from it's mid-season break.

Please, please let them commission more!

Mr Mystery
02-19-2015, 02:46 PM
Now exploring American Horror Story.

First season is ok, but doesn't quite work. Takes too long to make things click so you get what's going on.

Second season, Asylum? Big improvement.

Seasons 1-3 are on Netflix, and I recommend giving it a bash - you may favour the first season more than I.

eldargal
03-20-2015, 08:24 AM
Watched the first episode of Arrow over luncheon, liked it more than expected.

Darren Richardson
03-20-2015, 08:48 AM
well, just one more week and AoS is back, can't wait....

Watched the first 4 episodes of Grimm the other day, not bad, interesting premise, will finish the 1st season boxset off sometime this month.....

energongoodie
03-20-2015, 09:33 AM
My weekly viewing is currently

The Flash
Arrow
The Big Bang Theory
Suits
Grimm
Fortitude.

Arrow is top of the tree for me right now.

Mr Mystery
04-26-2015, 09:42 AM
I am now kind of hooked on Mystery Diners.

Very interesting show!

Psychosplodge
05-18-2015, 03:04 AM
Watched first two episodes of "Black Sails" on Saturday. Very interesting pirate drama series type thing.

Kirsten
05-18-2015, 03:04 AM
I keep meaning to watch that

Psychosplodge
05-18-2015, 03:32 AM
I've added it to my list of series to buy. I enjoyed what I saw, I was amazed a few of the reviews on amazon were complaining of the slow start in the first two episodes.

Mr Mystery
05-18-2015, 05:33 AM
I found Black Sails a bit....odd.

It's by the same folk that made Spartacus though, so might revisit it.

Al Shut
05-18-2015, 09:31 AM
I enjoyed the first season a lot and unfortunately missed the second when it was rushed trough TV over here on three consecutive evenings.

I have no idea how I overcame my disappointment with Silver, though. I love Treasure Island, Silver is one of my favourite characters ever and that guy on the show is so not Silver that it's not even funny anymore.

Normally I would have expected myself to throw a tantrum and quit watching, instead I just shrugged it off and enjoyed it for what it is.

Wolfshade
05-18-2015, 12:58 PM
Oh telly, at the moment Game of Cards and 12 Monkeys are getting my attention.

And the always sublime elementary (yes it is better sherlock always.)

eldargal
06-04-2015, 07:51 AM
Just caught up with season two of Agents of SHIELD, amazeballs finale, much feels. Real sucker punch in the last few second too.

Brakkart
07-12-2015, 06:34 PM
Binge watched all 3 seasons of Orange is the new Black over the past week. Not at all my usual fare with regard to Tv shows but it is wickedly addictive viewing even if I'm not that big a fan of the main character (Piper Chapman) that much. I adore the chatterbox asian protest girl (Brook Soso) though, she's awesome.

eldargal
07-13-2015, 01:22 AM
I need to catch up on OITNB. Brook Soso is 'dawbs though.

Psychosplodge
07-13-2015, 02:30 AM
One of the channel 5 channels have started showing series six of Sons of Anarchy.

Its started out well. But obviously go watch the first five series first.

Mr Mystery
07-13-2015, 02:38 AM
Have finally seen some Agent Carter.

It is great, that is all.

eldargal
07-13-2015, 03:55 AM
It keeps getting better too and there are some amaze twists and subverted tropes.

Also a wonderful fight scene in a diner which is one of my favourite fight scenes ever.

eldargal
07-14-2015, 07:36 AM
Oh I also watched Daredevil recently, which was good but no where near as amazing as people made it out to be in my opinion. Not as good as Agent Carter by far, much more standard plot, little actual character development except ironically the Big Bad who they managed to make quite sympathetic.

Mr Mystery
07-14-2015, 07:47 AM
TV series tend to revolve around their villain though. Imagine BSG without Baltar - it wouldn't have been anywhere near as good!

I'm looking forward to season 2 of Daredevil - I hope they keep up the pace. Oh, and AKA Jessica Jones.

eldargal
07-14-2015, 07:49 AM
I'm looking forward to it as well, especially since Psylocke I think is going to be appearing in it and it would be nice to see her done as something more than a Fighting ****toy (that's a trope). I just didn't think it was as amaze as everyone was saying it was.

Wildeybeast
07-14-2015, 10:23 AM
TV series tend to revolve around their villain though. Imagine BSG without Baltar - it wouldn't have been anywhere near as good!

I'm looking forward to season 2 of Daredevil - I hope they keep up the pace. Oh, and AKA Jessica Jones.

Baltar wasn't the villain. Cylons were. Chump yes, villain no.

Brakkart
07-15-2015, 05:12 AM
I'm looking forward to it as well, especially since Psylocke I think is going to be appearing in it and it would be nice to see her done as something more than a Fighting ****toy (that's a trope). I just didn't think it was as amaze as everyone was saying it was.

You won't get Psylocke in it, she's a mutant and thus Fox has the rights to her. Elektra might be who you're thinking of though and she and The Punisher are both going to be in season 2 of Daredevil.

eldargal
07-15-2015, 05:16 AM
Yep it was Elektra, always get those two mixed up I'm not sure why.

Brakkart
08-20-2015, 01:07 AM
Binged my way through all of season 1 of Outlander which is a superb series, though the last episode of it is some deeply uncomfortable viewing to put it mildly. Tobias Menzies is utterly compelling and chilling in equal measure as Black Jack Randall. Also it has the catchiest theme tune ever, I've had it stuck in my head for weeks now!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ledHVF1ZtDI

Watching my way through Black Sails at the moment and loving it. Pirates of the Caribbean done properly without the Disney and with all the swearing, blood and sex that there should be. So much fun.

Mr Mystery
08-20-2015, 01:12 AM
Shall have to check out Outlander.

And in other news, only 4 weeks until the new Doctor Who. Well, give or take a day or two.

*flails*

Mr Mystery
09-27-2015, 11:05 AM
And now? Now for a proper Supernatural marathon. Seasons 1-9 to get through, hopefully before I move house.

Psychosplodge
10-08-2015, 03:37 AM
Watched a couple of episodes of weeds last night. Quite enjoyable, might have to start watching it.

Psychosplodge
10-19-2015, 09:20 AM
anyone else looking forward to The Last Kingdom on Thor's day? Hope they don't **** up the books too much.

Psychosplodge
10-22-2015, 06:14 PM
So first episode of last kingdom, looks promising so far, didn't butcher the book too badly though they clearly rushed it to get it into an hour. Might have been worth them doing a feature length one for the first episode to flesh out the characters a bit more? *shrugs* definitely will watch the rest if it carries on like this.

Brakkart
11-18-2015, 06:38 AM
Trailer for season 3 of Black Sails, coming in January. Really looking forward to this.

https://youtu.be/N6P1cQMdFXA

Psychosplodge
11-18-2015, 07:09 AM
Still need to watch the first two, which are on my list behind vikings, which I'll start as soon as I finish Battlestar galactica :D

Al Shut
11-19-2015, 11:15 AM
Au service de la France (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4367560/?ref_=rvi_tt) was pretty good. A lot more restrained than the OSS movies by the same writer but still funny.

Mr Mystery
11-20-2015, 02:09 AM
Still enjoying Supernatural. Polished off Season 6 last night.

Tonight's viewing? Episode 3 of Supergirl, to be followed by as many episodes of Jessica Jones as I can manage before I really ought to go to bed. First two day weekend in a while, so making the most of it.

Remaining episodes will be caught up on following Star Wars Rebels tomorrow morning, with a compulsory break, assuming I need it, for Doctor Who in the evening.

eldargal
11-20-2015, 04:50 AM
Episode 4 of Supergirl is probably the best yet, really good. Great lady villain too.

Super excite for Jessica Jones.

Psychosplodge
11-23-2015, 02:36 AM
I've been pleasantly surprised by the The Last Kingdom. While there's little things you notice missing or changed, they've not butchered it, and it is a rather good adaptation.

Mr Mystery
01-13-2016, 11:31 AM
Robot Wars is coming back.

All those in favour of BoLS putting in a 'Jaws of Life' claw mounted on a radio controlled car and named 'DEFFDRED' say 'I'

Wolfshade
01-13-2016, 12:27 PM
Aye.

Also Gotham comes back woot woot

Psychosplodge
01-14-2016, 02:36 AM
"Aye"

Don't forget to paint it red

Mr Mystery
01-14-2016, 03:06 AM
Red wiv da Jolly Ork.

Psychosplodge
01-14-2016, 03:09 AM
sounds like a plan.
Let us know when you're on :D

Mr Mystery
01-14-2016, 03:10 AM
I'll be the horrifically injured one dressed as a Digga, used to explain why building Tinbotz is dangerous if you're not a kwalified Mek.

Mr Mystery
01-14-2016, 06:37 AM
Fox are doing a TV Movie for 'Rocky Horror Picture Show'

And have apparently cast an actress for Frank'n'Furter.

Well, why the devil not!

Psychosplodge
01-14-2016, 06:41 AM
Because its a classic and they'll murder it. (the remake not the casting choices)

Mr Mystery
01-14-2016, 06:59 AM
I suspect so, but props for 'getting it' and not having Frank's role stereotyped.

Psychosplodge
01-14-2016, 07:08 AM
Though her "cross dressing" would be somewhat less "scandalous" unless she slobs around in a pair of boxers and it's an excuse for boobs. See they've already murdered it XD

Mr Mystery
01-14-2016, 07:10 AM
Depends if she's playing Frank as male still.

Psychosplodge
01-14-2016, 07:20 AM
Oh, I never thought about it that way. Still that's the thong/arse quota instead :rolleyes:

Why do they keep remaking classics? Apparently they're on about re doing stargate. Why? ffs.

eldargal
01-14-2016, 07:22 AM
Caught up on Agents of SHIELD over the past few days, continuing the mix of very good with incredibly annoying narrative choices, but some pretty good character development so far this season.

Much more excite for Rebels and Agent Carter starting up on or around the 20th.

Mr Mystery
01-14-2016, 07:27 AM
I've only seen the first episode of Agents of SHIELD, but I'm impressed!

Asymmetrical Xeno
01-14-2016, 08:01 AM
Sadly I found Agents of shield really boring myself (I watched the whole first season), only marvel series I've liked so far is Daredevil which was excellent imo, maybe even the best super hero show I've ever seen and it had a disabled super hero which made things a bit more relatable for me. Jessica jones lost me but that was more because I can't stand David tennant (I liked Jessica). Not seen Agent Carter yet but as it's in the 1940's with a female protagonist i think it might appeal more.

eldargal
01-14-2016, 08:04 AM
The first season is kind of weak, I didn't mind it but it wasn't exactly great teevee. It's improved but it still does some really annoying and stupid things sometimes. Agent Carter is pretty amazing.:)

Asymmetrical Xeno
01-14-2016, 08:58 AM
10mins into the first Agent Carter ep and already enjoying it more than all of Shield combined. glad they made a series from her character and I dig how they deal with the sexism of the time period.

eldargal
01-14-2016, 09:03 AM
I'd happily trade all of AoS for more Agent Carter hehe. It gets better too.

Asymmetrical Xeno
01-14-2016, 09:17 AM
I'd happily trade all of AoS for more Agent Carter hehe. It gets better too.

I was wondering what Age of Sigmar had to do with it then I realised you meant Agents of Shield...

YorkNecromancer
01-14-2016, 01:01 PM
SHIELD's like many shows - it needed a while to find its feet.

The first half of season 1 was fairly terrible. Then the whole HYDRA plotline broke, and Ward happened and things got a little better. Then season 2 came along, and wasn't exceptional, but was still lots of fun. Then season 3 happened and JEMMA SIMMONS IS THE BEST CHARACTER IN THE WHOLE OF THE MCU AND I'LL F**KING FIGHT ANYONE WHO SAYS OTHERWISE.

I mean, like I say, it took a while to get going, but now it has, it's really good. Fitz and Simmons are obviously brilliant, the whole 'advent of the Inhumans' metaplot is coming along really nicely, the 'HYDRA began as an ancient Lovecraftian cult' plot is really enjoyable, Grant Ward is the best villain since Kilgrave, and Melinda May is, by now, essentially the MCU's answer to Boba Fett. Only she actually does stuff in addition to standing around like a silent badass.

There was this fight move:

https://45.media.tumblr.com/279a9b411c4a29eabf45dfe7c95cd6ab/tumblr_nq09mf8f5A1thj0xmo1_500.gif

Also, this scene happened:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hReYNlIoIWE

Granted, they've not yet gotten Deathlok right, which is really annoying, as he was the first Marvel hero I ever really liked, but at least he's on screen, which is something I never thought I'd get to see.

It also had this, which is one of my favourite lines in anything:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUfxXE2MzBw

The Netflix Marvel shows have just been astonishing, though. After 'Daredevil', I just couldn't watch 'Arrow'. I was like 'what is this melodramatic pablum'? And 'Jessica Jones' should be required viewing for the 'Game of Thrones' writers:

'THIS. THIS IS HOW YOU HAVE RAPE AS A THEME OF YOUR SHOW WITHOUT BEING DESPICABLE A$$HATS ABOUT IT.'

Asymmetrical Xeno
01-14-2016, 01:11 PM
the 'HYDRA began as an ancient Lovecraftian cult' plot is really enjoyable

is that "proper" lovecraftian or "cthulhu and deep ones" lovecraftian? Anything relating to the latter makes me want to burn it by default.

I like the DC shows but they are a very different beast, i like arrow and flash but they are corny fun.

YorkNecromancer
01-14-2016, 01:54 PM
is that "proper" lovecraftian or "cthulhu and deep ones" lovecraftian? Anything relating to the latter makes me want to burn it by default.

Well, spoilers:

Simmons was sucked through a portal made of living stone to an alien planet, where she was forced to survive. She met an astronaut there, Will, who had been alone on the planet for decades. There was one other 'thing' on the planet - a malevolent sentience which he had avoided. It was six months before Simmons got back, by which time she and Will had fallen quite in love.

Simmons got back, then set about trying to get Will back, who had been stopped by the intelligence.

It turns out that Will had been sent there by HYDRA, who were founded millenia ago, as an occult order dedicated to reaching this malign prescence and bringing it back to Earth, where HYDRA would serve as its army. HYDRA find out that Fitz and Simmons have worked out how to open the door and get Will out, so they abduct her and send a retrieval team through, lead by hideous psychopath and now visionary madman Grant Ward. The team takes Fitz as protection.

The team finds Will, and sets about retrieving him. Will reveals that the planet had seven great colonies on it: all killed by the intelligence. When Fitz asks how, Will knows this, he reveals that he is the intelligence now, as Will died saving Jemma and his corpse is now possessed by said intelligence. Which then does the whole 'possessed corpse filled with walking worms' thing.

As of the season 3 mid-season break, the intelligence is now back on Earth in a new host body, and in charge of HYDRA.

Long story short, it's halfway between The Colour Out Of Space and The Worm That Walks.

Now, Joss Whedon recently admitted that the MCU and the Marvel TV shows are basically all but separate entities. They share a continuity, but it's very much one-way. The films get the important stuff; the TV shows get the leftovers - the weird, obscure nutty stuff that only the hardcore fans know about. None of the big names are ever going to show up on SHIELD (http://io9.gizmodo.com/joss-whedon-explains-how-the-marvel-cinematic-universe-1750903535)... although I'd always taken that as read, so it didn't bother me.

So, whatever this intelligence is, it's not going to be anything big like Shuma-Gorath. It'll probably be their take on something like The Hive. But the story's presently being really well done, and I am very much enjoying it. It's goofy fun, and it's never truly managed to be great. But it is consistently good, and I'm very invested in a number of the characters. I do think the lack of big names hurts it a little, as it limits the stakes from ever getting truly significant. But that's not enough to stop me watching. I kind of prefer small stakes.

Asymmetrical Xeno
01-14-2016, 02:03 PM
That does sound pretty awesome and thankfully uncthulhuish (phew!) , i shall give this show another chance after Agent Carter then..

eldargal
01-15-2016, 06:13 AM
I basically only watch AoS for Simmons, May and Skye hehe. Though I also like Fitz and Mack.

The amazing thing about Skye's fight scene inserted above is that it was done in one shot and one take, you can see its all one continuous shot which makes it extra amazing, no stupid editing to make it look better its just her being amaze.

My main problem with the show is that it has a nasty tendency to introduce powerful women characters and then kill them off to further Coulson's story in one way or another, either to remove a competitor for power within SHIELD or as a love interest, or just wasting Lucy Lawless with the most pointless, brief cameo ever, and for a while it seemed like it was trying to head towards a redemption arc for Ward but that is definitely not happening now.
I just hope they wrap up the Hydra plot this season (I really do think they will) because I'm really kind of over them.

YorkNecromancer
01-15-2016, 02:48 PM
I basically only watch AoS for Simmons, May and Skye hehe. Though I also like Fitz and Mack.

The amazing thing about Skye's fight scene inserted above is that it was done in one shot and one take, you can see its all one continuous shot which makes it extra amazing, no stupid editing to make it look better its just her being amaze.

My main problem with the show is that it has a nasty tendency to introduce powerful women characters and then kill them off to further Coulson's story in one way or another, either to remove a competitor for power within SHIELD or as a love interest, or just wasting Lucy Lawless with the most pointless, brief cameo ever, and for a while it seemed like it was trying to head towards a redemption arc for Ward but that is definitely not happening now.
I just hope they wrap up the Hydra plot this season (I really do think they will) because I'm really kind of over them.

The 'Ward redeemed!' never seemed remotely credible; if anything, it smelled like a deconstruction of those shows where the traitor turns good - the moment Skye sees him, she tries to kill him. No discussion, no nothing. Any other show, she'd have been conflicted. Not on SHIELD. Which I thought was cool. I loved the fact he clearly thought he was going to reach some hidden feelings she still had for him, not realising, no: everyone hates you now, forever. No-one's got any hidden regrets.

As for the fridging of women, yeah, it's happened a bit, can't deny it. Didn't mind Lucy Lawless' death too much as that was clearly Dead Star Walking ('They'll never kill Lucy Lawless; she's got name value'.) I will agree that the death of the ATC's head was deeply disappointingly straight-played. But other than that, I don't know. The death of Tripp was arguably worse, killing off one of the very few black guys.

Still, the show has relatively admirable diversity. You can't argue that May, Skye, Simmons, Morse and the others don't have agency. And the female Big Bad of season 2 was superb.

HYDRA was getting a little played out, which is why I'm hoping the occult background reveal will take it somewhere new. At the end of the day, all HYDRA is is a big, nebulous agency of evil. If they get rid of it, they'll only replace it with something like AIM that's essential

Mr Mystery
01-15-2016, 03:12 PM
Currently watching 'One Hit Wonders' on BBC4.

Superb bit of telly.

eldargal
01-16-2016, 06:20 AM
*snips to avoid spoilers*

The other big fridging was Victoria Hand, she was basically bumped off to further Wards plotline and to remove the last remaining high ranking SHIELD person who could oppose Coulson (until they introduced a new one next season). there was also the fact that she was gay in the comics and they bumped her off without mentioning that which angered a lot of fans. Tripp deserved better too for sure, lot of anger over that as well, and justifiably so especially when they have introduced a bunch of new white guys into the story (Lincoln and Hunter).

It's not so much that the show does badly, its jut that it has these annoying little missteps which bring it down from utterly amazing to just really great.

Mr Mystery
01-16-2016, 06:31 AM
Yarp.

It's like Walking Dead, where people-of-colour, barring Michone, are pretty disposable. I mean, I know everyone in that show is ultimately disposable, but young men-of-colour especially so.

It could be a poignant retort about how America values (or indeed, doesn't value) that part of it's society, but I'm really pretty sure it's just bad plot writing.

YorkNecromancer
01-16-2016, 07:20 AM
It's not so much that the show does badly, its jut that it has these annoying little missteps which bring it down from utterly amazing to just really great.

That's something I would definitely agree with. However, I'd argue that SHIELD gets more right than it gets wrong.

Hand's loss was, I think, worse for fans of the comic than for people like me, who knew nothing about her. I would argue her fridging wouldn't matter as much if they'd have introduced a new significant lesbian to replace her. That they didn't is the real misstep.

Won't lie though, I was seriously pissed off with the fridging of the ATC leader-lady. She was shaping up to be a phenomenally interesting character, and then poof! Gone. Deeply disappointing.

As for TWD?

I would argue that SHIELD is nowhere near as almost belligerently repugnant as TWD's been. At least SHIELD puts its non-white male characters front and centre a lot of the time - May, Simmons, Skye, and Morse have all had significant plot and character development; that they've been slow-burning the set-up of Mack as Coulson's replacement has been a good thing as well, although he's absolutely been criminally underused.

Compare this to TWD, where there's a One Black Man allowance. Seriously, that sh!t got so stupid that by the time of the prison the moment a black man got a speaking role, me and my gf were like: 'Well, goodbye previous token male. It was nice knowing... Wait, we know hardly anything about you'.

TWD's track record on representation is just appalling. It took nearly four seasons to get anything near where it is now. Up until then it was just The Agonies of Everyday White Guy Rick, who is just a detestable character on every level. They should've Ned Starked the sh!t out of him back in season 2. Him and his whole awful family of awful, awful, poorly-written non-characters.

Christ above I hate Rick Grimes and everything to do with him.

Actually, if I'm honest, I don't really like TWD. I honestly don't think I give two tugs for a single one of its characters, which is awful, because in the comic, I really did...

Mr Mystery
01-16-2016, 07:32 AM
I like Walking Dead - but it absolutely needs more variety in it's characters.

Standouts for me so far?

1. Carol. Favourite character by a country mile. Pragmatic, and with a decent story-arc (well, for the series)
2. Carl. He's so far managed to avoid Rick's occasional bouts of insanity whilst growing up fast. He's gone from idolising his Dad as most young lads do, to seeing his Dad's mistakes.

And.....that's about it. I like Daryl, but he's always just been quietly competent Daryl.

Rick? It might well be time to off him.

Michone? Thank heaven for a not massively stereotype female minority character who isn't suddenly undermined by a sudden bout of fanny gallops at the sight of a hunky dood.

Asymmetrical Xeno
01-16-2016, 09:07 AM
Finished Agent Carter and loved it. Might like it more than Daredevil even. She was the best thing about that captain america movie anyway. 1940's setting was beautiful, story was okay, characters were good. Only criticism? How come she gets 8 episodes and the rest get 13?

Mr Mystery
01-16-2016, 09:15 AM
It wasn't a Netflix deal.

Season 2 is 10 Episodes long.

I guess they may just be feeling out the story plan, and don't want it to be padded. This sort of show is rare enough that a focus on quality over quantity is perhaps more acceptable - after all, there'll be Telly Execs wanting to swing the axe anyway because 1) It's on Fox 2) It's on Fox and NOT THE SIMPSONS 3) Nobody Watches Female Lead Shows*. Any dip in ratings or reviews due to padding episodes could be all they need.

*Which is of course the fallacy of the day. I award myself Twelfty Internets.

eldargal
01-16-2016, 09:31 AM
Finished Agent Carter and loved it. Might like it more than Daredevil even. She was the best thing about that captain america movie anyway. 1940's setting was beautiful, story was okay, characters were good. Only criticism? How come she gets 8 episodes and the rest get 13?

I like it a lot more than Daredevil (which I really liked). Need more Dottie.

Mr Mystery
01-16-2016, 09:59 AM
I'm still impressed at the all round quality of Marvel's productions to date (barring the cartoons, which I've never, ever taken to).

MCU, Agents of SHIELD, Agent Carter, Daredevil, Jessica Jones - all of it has been of a consistently 'better than average' quality, and most of it has been really high quality.

That's no mean fear when by all rights we should be sick to the back teeth of Marvel by now (ref Spiderman 3, The Amazing Spiderman and The Amazing Spiderman 2)

Kirsten
01-16-2016, 11:37 AM
amazing spiderman 1 and 2 were awesome.

Mr Mystery
01-16-2016, 12:51 PM
Each to their own. I loved Spidey, but the villains weren't great.

But hey, that's just like, my opinion man.

eldargal
01-19-2016, 07:46 AM
Black Sails has been recommended to me, on account of having lesbians and strong female characters in and also PIRATES! Anyone been watching it?

Psychosplodge
01-19-2016, 07:51 AM
I've seen the first two episodes and then bought the first two series but haven't watched yet. But the first two episodes were good enough that I do want to watch the rest it's just my to watch pile is huge, and I have to fit games and reading in too - oh and work as well :D

Mr Mystery
01-19-2016, 09:25 AM
Tried watching it, found it 'meh'

But other opinions are of course available and just as valid.

Al Shut
01-19-2016, 10:41 AM
Only saw the first season so far, found it pretty entertaining.

Pirates are plenty although they don't quite live up to the names they borrowed from Treasure Island. I'm looking at you Silver.

Female characters and Lesbians (Bisexuals?, the details escape me) might be lacking a bit in quantity, especially if the series was recommended on that basis.

But definitely worth a try.

Mr Mystery
01-19-2016, 11:24 AM
Gotham Season Two is coming along nicely- although only two episodes in here in the UK, it's feeling better paced and more focussed than the first season (which I still enjoyed well enough)

eldargal
01-21-2016, 06:08 AM
New Agent Carter is very good, sadly premiered with very low ratings so unless something drastic happens probably not going to see a third season.>:(

Asymmetrical Xeno
01-21-2016, 07:35 AM
Caught up with new Flash ep, already saw the first half of s2 of gotham so just waiting for second half tos tart, didn't know AC season 2 has aired, will check that out asap.

Out of curiousity, how well was AC advertised?

Kirsten
01-21-2016, 07:42 AM
New Agent Carter is very good, sadly premiered with very low ratings so unless something drastic happens probably not going to see a third season.>:(

Somebody at work recommended it to me but described it as 'a bit feministy' which just blew my mind

eldargal
01-21-2016, 07:48 AM
Yup, female character who is better than those around her = feminist propaganda. Male character who is better than those around her = normal.

Mr Mystery
01-21-2016, 07:53 AM
Well, I'll be watching it anyways.

They had better not Sarah Connor it.....that was an evil cliffhanger to leave unresolved.

Same for Space Above and Beyond :(

Morgrim
01-21-2016, 08:27 AM
Season 3 of BBCs 'Sherlock' series has just been shown here for the first time. As in tonight was the first showing of the first episode of the season. Over two years since everyone else got to see it. And TV executives are honestly surprised Australia has the highest rate of piracy per capita in the world?!

Mr Mystery
01-21-2016, 09:18 AM
Same with GoT.

It's massively popular, and seems to have strong home media sales....so why make us all wait for a year before we can buy it?

I'm a stickler for 'no excuse for piracy', so I don't indulge, but such things stretch my sympathy more than a little.....

The thing that annoys me most is when a UK channel picks up say, Agents of SHIELD, then takes age to actually air it. This means spoilers are rife, and much of the appeal is removed.

Erik Setzer
01-21-2016, 10:00 AM
Season 3 of BBCs 'Sherlock' series has just been shown here for the first time. As in tonight was the first showing of the first episode of the season. Over two years since everyone else got to see it. And TV executives are honestly surprised Australia has the highest rate of piracy per capita in the world?!

Ouch. My condolences. I just watched the "special" episode they did (might as well call it "Season 3.5"). Sounds like you'll get that about the time we're watching Season 4, if not after...

Mr Mystery
01-21-2016, 01:26 PM
Jessica Jones confirmed for a second series :)

And I'd put munneh on Netflix picking up Agent Carter if it's not renewed for a third,

grimmas
01-29-2016, 05:29 AM
Anyone else catch the finale of Lost Girl. I thought it was a little underwhelming for a "Last Ever" episode.

On a brighter note just managed to watch the first Killjoys episode which is showing promise right out of the box. I also see it's been renewed for a second series which is promising

Mr Mystery
01-29-2016, 05:50 AM
Not watched either of those.

I seem to have a blindspot when it comes to SyFy aried series. Dunno why!

grimmas
01-29-2016, 06:16 AM
Probably because they keep ruddy cancelling them. I rather enjoyed Defiance and Dominion. At least they actually finished Lost Girl. It is an interesting take on mythology and how it might look today. The lead is a bisexual Succubus. It's more unconventional than most on the character front.

Asymmetrical Xeno
01-30-2016, 10:55 AM
On the subject of Syfy shows, I'm loving The Expanse so far, bar the "sound in space" (which they seemed to introduce in ep4, kill the sound designer KILL THEM!!) It's actually surprisingly hard SF reminiscent of a Baxter novel and pretty good too.

grimmas
01-31-2016, 02:52 AM
Interesting. I've been enjoying the harder SciFi film offering of late I'll pop that on the planner. I'll confess that the renaming of the channel as SyFy jars with me somewhat. Also I'm genuinely surprised folks in here haven't been watching Lost Girl.

Kirsten
02-02-2016, 01:19 PM
I have just watched series one of Marco Polo in a couple of days. really good, and excellent research material.

Mr Mystery
02-02-2016, 01:28 PM
Nearly finished up Supernatural series 1-9.

Next up I'll check some of the Netamazonflix recommendations here :)

Kirsten
02-08-2016, 02:38 PM
well lately I watched all of Black Lagoon, Blue Exorcist, and caught up on Elementary. Black Lagoon is decent, kind of like an utterly amoral firefly, crude, violent. I liked a lot about it but can't quite decide what I think. Blue Exorcist is about the sons of satan, and is a fairly straight forward but fun series. Elementary I enjoyed a lot, but is definitely no Sherlock.

Mr Mystery
02-08-2016, 02:59 PM
Last nigt's Agents of SHIELD was great. Nice to see Simmons get her own episode.

X-Files and Gotham tonight.

Kirsten, I shall check out the two above!

Kirsten
02-08-2016, 03:05 PM
they are anime, so might not be your thing

Mr Mystery
02-08-2016, 03:08 PM
Always willing to experiment.

After all, I know I have a general aversion to Anime because I've tried various ones :) no point risking missing good stuff just because I may only have seen the crap.

Kirsten
02-08-2016, 03:13 PM
Black Lagoon was quite different. I wouldn't say it was amazing, but it was interesting.

Haighus
02-08-2016, 03:51 PM
I quite enjoyed Black Lagoon, watched the first series recently. Black Lagoon: Second Barrage is on my to-watch list. On the other hand, I've recently begun watching Pokemon. From the very beginning. So still have about 900 or so episodes to go, which means that other anime may be put on hiatus for awhile...

Also watched various Ghost in the Shell stuff recently- interesting near-future SciFi concept, I like the cyberpunk world the series is set in. Also anime.

Kirsten
02-08-2016, 03:56 PM
I am a fan of Ghost in the Shell.

Second Barrage is good, if you liked the first half of the series it is basically more of the same. the OVA is a continuation of it as well. I just can't decide what to make of it all, it doesn't especially go anywhere, there isn't much development, and the captain and comms guys are barely in it at all. plus the company is called Lagoon, and the captain is black, which is probably the sole reason why the anime is called black lagoon :p

Haighus
02-08-2016, 04:16 PM
IIRC, the torpedo boat is called Black Lagoon, so I think that is why the show is called that. Yeah, it is one of those series that is just fun really :D There is the odd bit of amusing engrish too. I guess it doesn't try to be anything particularly thoughtful or clever, and it is good for that.

Kirsten
02-08-2016, 04:32 PM
yeah it is pretty good fun, I like Revy and Eda particularly.

Asymmetrical Xeno
02-08-2016, 05:08 PM
well lately I watched all of Black Lagoon, Blue Exorcist, and caught up on Elementary. Black Lagoon is decent, kind of like an utterly amoral firefly, crude, violent. I liked a lot about it but can't quite decide what I think. Blue Exorcist is about the sons of satan, and is a fairly straight forward but fun series. Elementary I enjoyed a lot, but is definitely no Sherlock.

Good taste in anime. I also like the weirder, quirkier ones that are more folklore based like xxxholic and natsume's book of friends too.

Psychosplodge
02-09-2016, 02:32 AM
I think Blue exorcist is the one that got me banned from subs :D

Watched first episode of black lagoon at a friends, added it to the to watch pile still not got to it. Added Ghost in the shell SAC at weekend. The to watch pile only seems to get bigger, not smaller.

Mr Mystery
02-09-2016, 02:47 AM
Solid return for X-Files so far. Can't wait to see the rest of the series!

Psychosplodge
02-09-2016, 02:49 AM
what channel was that?

Mr Mystery
02-09-2016, 03:08 AM
Chanel No. 5

It's weird. I knew it was coming up, and then like, BAM! New X-Files outta nowhere.

Should be on their catch up service.

Psychosplodge
02-09-2016, 03:52 AM
I'll have to watch that then.

Mr Mystery
02-09-2016, 06:11 AM
You should!

I'm usually sceptical about TV shows returning after a long hiatus, but this one certainly isn't X-Files - The Cash Is Out There.

eldargal
02-09-2016, 06:56 AM
Elementary I enjoyed a lot, but is definitely no Sherlock.

You mean its actually good?:p

Need to watch the X-Files reboot, haven't yet, hearing mostly good things.

Mr Mystery
02-09-2016, 07:05 AM
I'm not especially knowledgable about X-Files (it used to be on when I was at Scouts), but I found the plot easy enough to pick up, and far from the convoluted mess I found the original run devolved into, where if you missed just one episode, that was you out of the club.

Kirsten
02-09-2016, 07:07 AM
You mean its actually good?:p

Sherlock is waaaay better. Elementary is good, but the cases are rarely all that interesting, pretty much always murder, and they go through the same procedure every time. It doesn't feel all that much like Sherlock Holmes either, could just as easily be CSI Jonathan Creek.

eldargal
02-09-2016, 07:18 AM
I think Elementary captures the essence of Holmes far better than Sherlock does personally. Plus I can't stand Foremangrill Blundersnatch, and Lucy Liu as Watson > all other Watsons.

Kirsten
02-09-2016, 07:26 AM
Benedict Cumberbatch is a genius. Lucy Liu is good. funny that the American version is the only one where Watson doesn't shoot anybody :p

Psychosplodge
02-09-2016, 07:29 AM
I think Elementary captures the essence of Holmes far better than Sherlock does personally. Plus I can't stand Foremangrill Blundersnatch, and Lucy Liu as Watson > all other Watsons.

I'm sorry , Emma Watson is best Watson.

eldargal
02-09-2016, 07:32 AM
I think he is horrendously overrated.:p She's great, captures Watsons competent-but-not-at-Sherlocks-level far better than most Watsons, though some of that is the writing too. That is quite ironic.:p

Mr Mystery
02-09-2016, 07:34 AM
I think you'll find that RDJ makes the besterest Sherlock, and Jude Law a good Watson.

As for Emma Watson - always find the fancying of her creepy. Probably because I was in my early twenties when the first Harry Potter film came out, and thus have only ever seen her as a very young Hermione.

No judgement passed on others.

Kirsten
02-09-2016, 07:35 AM
how very dare you, he is excellent.

Emma Watson as Doctor Watson would be amaze balls.

- - - Updated - - -

Basil the great mouse detective is clearly the best Sherlock.

eldargal
02-09-2016, 07:35 AM
Also Elementary has Natalie Dormer as Moriarty which is the tv equivalent of winning by default.:p

Kirsten
02-09-2016, 07:39 AM
Natalie Dormer is definitely some winning.

Mr Mystery
02-09-2016, 07:39 AM
I'll counter that with.....no...wait....Stephen Fry as Mycroft, but not everyone's cup of tea for genuine socio-political reasons....

I think EG may have just won on a technicality?

Kirsten
02-09-2016, 07:42 AM
Stephen Fry was fun, but Rhys Ifans probably wins as Mycroft, not even any grey undies needed.

Mr Mystery
02-09-2016, 07:45 AM
Sorry, Rhys Ifans disqualified on account he's Rhys Ifans.

Didn't like his band, not a fan of his acting (which seems, predominantly, to be gurning and being Welsh. Nothing wrong with the two elements in themselves, a but they shouldn't really equate to an acting career on their own)

eldargal
02-09-2016, 07:48 AM
He's actually quite good in Elementary, and also not in it that much which might be an advantage.

Psychosplodge
02-09-2016, 08:09 AM
As for Emma Watson - always find the fancying of her creepy. Probably because I was in my early twenties when the first Harry Potter film came out, and thus have only ever seen her as a very young Hermione.

TBH I learn that way as well, but it's amazing how much more attractive that £50m makes someone look ;)

I mean JK Rowling phwoar

http://i.imgur.com/NNDxEQJ.jpg

Mr Mystery
02-09-2016, 09:04 AM
I guess that's just what happens as we get olderer.

I mean, anyone I fancied in my yoof still remains fair game as they age with me. But anyone that was a kid when I was already an adult is just a no.

Unless of course you're a Daily Mail reader, in which case you get all excited when they point out a starlet is looking older than her years.....

Psychosplodge
02-09-2016, 09:24 AM
Aye, Cameron diaz still looks as hot as when I was a spotty 14yo cringing at the opening of there's something about Mary...

Mr Mystery
02-15-2016, 11:55 AM
Really getting into Vikings.

It's a lot more sober than Game of Thrones, and none the worse for it.

Also, Walking Dead, Gotham and X-Files tonight. Something is getting watch on Catch Up, that's for sure,

Asymmetrical Xeno
02-15-2016, 12:00 PM
Started watching a show called "fortitude" here, reminds me of twin peaks a bit. not sure if I actually like it or not though, i watched most of while painting this weekend.

Mr Mystery
02-15-2016, 03:46 PM
Walking Dead is pants wettingly good tonight!

Brakkart
02-15-2016, 05:17 PM
A pretty major character from Treasure Island finally made his appearance on Black Sails this week, as Flint & his crew encountered Benjamin Gunn, a man who was marooned on the island they've arrived at and who in the novel, will several years hence be marooned again on the title island where Flint buries his treasure. Poor guy has the worst luck! Season 3 of Black Sails is every bit as great as season 1 & 2 and the new episode is a must watch for me every Sunday on amazon.

eldargal
02-16-2016, 06:32 AM
New X-Files is very good, hope they renew it for another season. Only three episodes in.

Psychosplodge
02-16-2016, 06:34 AM
I knew there was something I was supposed to have been watching on catch up.

Mr Mystery
02-16-2016, 06:39 AM
I'll be watching X-Files tonight.

Also, Gotham is shaping up quite nicely. First season was kind of all over the place. The writers very much kids in a candy store at the expense of pacing. Second season though has a much better focus :)

eldargal
02-16-2016, 06:43 AM
I've heard that, but they still haven't brought Renee Montoya back and I'm still grumpy at how they treated her in season one.

Kirsten
02-16-2016, 06:46 AM
I enjoyed series one of Gotham, was interesting to see Gotham pre supervillains, and to see the beginnings of those villains. but after a while it did get a bit much, it was all 'I shall betray you' 'I shall betray you' 'I know you will betray me so I will betray you first' 'I know you know I will betray you, so I shall use that to my advantage to betray you!' I spent quite a bit of the series thinking will somebody just shoot penguin and put a stop to all this nonsense?

Psychosplodge
02-16-2016, 06:58 AM
I missed most of series one because reasons. But I've seen a couple of episodes of series 2 and the joker is pretty damn good.

Asymmetrical Xeno
02-16-2016, 08:37 AM
loving x-files so far too, mulder taking shrooms gets my thumbs up.

Erik Setzer
02-16-2016, 09:29 AM
I enjoyed series one of Gotham, was interesting to see Gotham pre supervillains, and to see the beginnings of those villains. but after a while it did get a bit much, it was all 'I shall betray you' 'I shall betray you' 'I know you will betray me so I will betray you first' 'I know you know I will betray you, so I shall use that to my advantage to betray you!' I spent quite a bit of the series thinking will somebody just shoot penguin and put a stop to all this nonsense?

Makes me think of a scene in Hellsing Ultimate Abridged where the **** leader says something like, "Excellent! Now that they are planning around our plan, we will plan around the plan that they are planning around our plan!"

Mr Mystery
02-16-2016, 02:42 PM
X-Files is still a superb return to form :)

Wonder if they'll do another series?

Asymmetrical Xeno
02-16-2016, 03:10 PM

I hope so, I think the mini-series format is better for it as I've loved every episode so far, quality over quantity. Well maybe a few more episodes wouldn't hurt. I'd like to see Monica and Dogget again, underated characters imo.

Mr Mystery
02-16-2016, 03:13 PM
Only seen the first two, but I think they've cracked how to produce a series that follows on from the original, without needing the audience to know that inside out.

I dare say there's plenty in there for those who are well informed and all, but I'm not one of those :)

Asymmetrical Xeno
02-16-2016, 03:18 PM
Only seen the first two, but I think they've cracked how to produce a series that follows on from the original, without needing the audience to know that inside out.

I dare say there's plenty in there for those who are well informed and all, but I'm not one of those :)

5/6 for me and I've enjoyed all of them, good variety too and I usually hate "the comedy episodes" in more serious toned shows but they even pulled that one off well.

eldargal
02-17-2016, 07:33 AM

The showrunners said they would consider doing it if it rated well, which it has so far. Whatsisname that plays Mulder says he would be up for more mini-seasons but he couldn't manage a 22 episode season and he thinks the same would be true of Gillian Anderson.

Mr Mystery
02-17-2016, 07:48 AM
I'd be happy with another mini-series. I'd rather they keep everyone involved interested than simply do more because munneh.

Asymmetrical Xeno
02-17-2016, 12:41 PM
Catching up with the new Lupin the Third series. loving that MI6 are the enemies, seems very apt. Also liking the new characters like Rebecca a lot. Cant be the only Lupin fan here?

Psychosplodge
02-18-2016, 02:48 AM
Sorry IDK what that is.

First episode of new series of 100 last night was very watchable.

Asymmetrical Xeno
02-18-2016, 03:41 AM
only one of japans biggest animes ever that has been going in some form since the 1970's. It's about a famous thief and his comrades. Often they steal from corrupt rich people so I guess it's got shades of robin hood, but also reminds me of james bond (with better politics). New series is awesome.

Psychosplodge
02-18-2016, 03:52 AM
I'm slightly surprised I've missed that one.

Al Shut
02-18-2016, 04:34 AM
I always meant to watch the Miyazaki movie at some point.

Mr Mystery
02-18-2016, 04:59 AM
Roll on Daredevil Season 2!

I'm really, really stoked that the Netflix gamble paid off. Not only to do them as teeeeeveeeee series, but to make them spectacularly and realistically violent.

Somehow in Daredevil and Jessica Jones they've pulled off very adult themes without making it crass or gratuitous - and I know there's a lot of love for Jessica Jones in particular because of it's subject matter.

I hope Luke Cage and Ironfist (they're still doing Ironfirst, I think) carry the torch as well as their immediate predecessors.

Asymmetrical Xeno
02-18-2016, 06:05 AM
i'm slightly surprised i've missed that one.

feel shame!!! Anime-shame!

eldargal
02-18-2016, 09:12 AM
Roll on Daredevil Season 2!

I'm really, really stoked that the Netflix gamble paid off. Not only to do them as teeeeeveeeee series, but to make them spectacularly and realistically violent.

Somehow in Daredevil and Jessica Jones they've pulled off very adult themes without making it crass or gratuitous - and I know there's a lot of love for Jessica Jones in particular because of it's subject matter.

I hope Luke Cage and Ironfist (they're still doing Ironfirst, I think) carry the torch as well as their immediate predecessors.

I think Iron Fist is not happening and is being folded into one of the other shows?

There are rumours Netflix might renew the DC animated show Young Justice for a third season, after the show was abruptly and controversially cancelled back in 2012/13.

Mr Mystery
02-18-2016, 03:14 PM
Reports conflicting about Iron Fist.

But never mind that! It's Agent Carter O'Clock at Mystery Towers!

Asymmetrical Xeno
02-18-2016, 03:53 PM
Agent Carter was sublime, I love Dottie :D

Mr Mystery
02-21-2016, 10:32 AM
Having an Agent Carter binge today.

I dunno why, but I struggle to watch it on a Thursday night. Maybe it's because it's a Thursday night, and I'm pooped from work, but still have a day to go.

Far more enjoyable tonking through four episodes in a row.

eldargal
02-22-2016, 07:50 AM
Agent Carter was sublime, I love Dottie :D

If Agent Carter gets canceled I'm hoping they make an Agent Dottie spin off lol. She is just amazing.

eldargal
02-22-2016, 09:26 AM
Steven Universe.

If you're not watching it, you should be watching it.

Mr Mystery
02-22-2016, 09:29 AM
I've tried it, wasn't to my taste.

I'm more Regular Show and Uncle Grandpa.

Regular Show because I empathise with Mordecai and Rigby.

Uncle Grandpa because after a hard day being ded clever at work, it's nice to simply blast one's brian with utter nonsense.

Got nowt against Steven Universe mind, just not really one for me.

I've even gone off Adventure Time a bit. Mostly because I think I need to make an effort to watch them in the correct order, seeing as it has a running narrative.