PDA

View Full Version : GW Management Changes - The Year Ahead

Bigred
11-16-2014, 11:27 AM
via Steve the Warboss 11-16-2014

After the reorganisation of the Managment, the replacement of Kirby and the switch of CEO, GW will have probably some more little changes in the assortment:

-The number of limited releases will increase
-More classic GW games (Epic, Mortheim, ...) should be released in "all-in-one" Boxed Sets with limited run (like Space Hulk)
-In contrast to rumors that have been wrong, there is internally a serious discussion of FW
-There are plans to integrate FW in the core assortment, how to be solved is not yet clear

The following is a speculation by me:
-Horus Heres is very successful, GW wants so sell FW-Products in their Stores and the Webpage to increase sales, but they don't know how FW will Produce their range in higher numbers
-I expect an extension of FW in 2015 with larger capacities and the sale of products at GW in 2016

Dalleron
11-16-2014, 11:36 AM
Ahahaha. Who is this Steve the Warboss? Why should we even think of buying what he's selling.

Mr Mystery
11-16-2014, 11:38 AM
Ahahaha. Who is this Steve the Warboss? Why should we even think of buying what he's selling.

Pretty much what I'm thinking too.

William Lang
11-16-2014, 12:06 PM
-More classic GW games (Epic, Mortheim, ...) should be released in "all-in-one" Boxed Sets with limited run (like Space Hulk)Battlefleet Gothic or GTFO.

ElectricPaladin
11-16-2014, 12:10 PM
Battlefleet Gothic or GTFO.

Where's my "like" button...

Anyway, I've heard this before and it hasn't happened yet, so my credibility meter is set very low.

YorkNecromancer
11-16-2014, 01:35 PM
All I'm going to say is what I've been saying since I got back into the hobby in 2007.

Adeptus Titanicus please.

Denzark
11-16-2014, 02:28 PM
+1

Deadlift
11-16-2014, 02:32 PM
+2

Mr Mystery
11-16-2014, 03:16 PM
+TWELFTY!

Love Epic, and love Titans especially!

Perhaps along the lines of Star Wars Armada, less the prepainted/built aspect?

Brenlak
11-16-2014, 05:50 PM
I heard at my local GW (after noticing Mordheim and indeed all other GW games were gone from the website) that they sold the rights to those specialty games to Fantasy Flight. I would rather FF make these games, there customer service is... well... actually customer service!

They already lost me on the limited releases though. Voidshield generator was the first of what has become a series of disappointments to me. I am a bit of a completist and when its sold out before I get an email about it it adds -1 enthusiasm to my hobby tracker.

"Hey look how cool this model is!! Sure it comes with a bunch of useless grots and a bunch of Wolfies you don't need but its a new Warboss guy!!! Whats that? you want it? aaaaaaaaand its gone!! But really its your fault for not coming in every week to pick up the new White Dwarf..."

ElectricPaladin
11-16-2014, 05:53 PM
I heard at my local GW (after noticing Mordheim and indeed all other GW games were gone from the website) that they sold the rights to those specialty games to Fantasy Flight. I would rather FF make these games, there customer service is... well... actually customer service!

They already lost me on the limited releases though. Voidshield generator was the first of what has become a series of disappointments to me. I am a bit of a completist and when its sold out before I get an email about it it adds -1 enthusiasm to my hobby tracker.

"Hey look how cool this model is!! Sure it comes with a bunch of useless grots and a bunch of Wolfies you don't need but its a new Warboss guy!!! Whats that? you want it? aaaaaaaaand its gone!! But really its your fault for not coming in every week to pick up the new White Dwarf..."

They sold out on Baalshield, too.

Cap'nSmurfs
11-16-2014, 06:38 PM
And the water pots! Even though they're just boring mugs and a biscuit tin.

William Lang
11-17-2014, 01:04 AM
They sold out on Baalshield, too.#NotYourShield :p

Mr Mystery
11-17-2014, 01:44 AM
Got one of those put aside by my local manager, as currently working Saturdays, so can't get in until 2:30ish.

And when he does these favours, I always follow up and actually buy :)

40kGamer
11-17-2014, 08:44 AM
All I'm going to say is what I've been saying since I got back into the hobby in 2007.

Adeptus Titanicus please.

I broke my like button!

Erik Setzer
11-17-2014, 09:09 AM
So take the worst ideas, multiple them, and then completely misinterpret what people have been saying they want... Do these guys even attempt to know what their customers want?

Limited releases are annoying as hell and only help eBay scalpers. That's it. Oh, they might make GW look good for a week's finances, but you have a LOT of pissed off customers when you hype up a new release and they can't get their hands on it because a local store wasn't lucky enough to get a copy and it sold out instantly. Limited editions are annoying, too. Sure, I got my Ork set, and it was a better deal than later sets, though it was annoying that the numbers weren't included and I can bet the number they sent me meant they were keeping the low numbers for the ones still in stock. But they had copies of it in stock for a while, and other limited edition books, even when they started lowering the print runs. They don't get it. People don't want to spend a huge chunk on rules (and them expecting people to pay $250 for a special copy of the already overpriced rule books shows that they know they're lying when they pretend the models are the main draw and not the games).

Those "all in one" sets for the other games are stupid. Don't bother with that for Mordheim, just put the rulebook back online, and people can do what we used to do in stores, use WFB models to build warbands. Epic, BFG, games like that, it'd mean you only have two sides, or you have tiny armies/fleets/gangs and the rules end up changed a lot. That's not what we want! We don't want stripped down limited edition versions of those games. We want the bloody games we enjoyed back. We want to introduce new members of the hobby to these games. Space Hulk works like that because it was always a board game with Space Marines and Genestealers, that's it. So re-releasing it as a boardgame works. Trying to turn BFG or Epic into just another board game is insulting.

I'm hoping these are just someone making stuff up. Otherwise, it's worse than just staying the course, it'd be GW taking the worst ideas and expanding on them.

Oh, and Dreadfleet will NEVER be Man'O'War. And you can still find unopened copies of it for sale because, as not-MoW, people weren't as interested in it.

Mr Mystery
11-17-2014, 09:31 AM
Define their customers.

I for one love the limited stuff.

I'd like a boxed set Mordheim - because that means spangly new models and terrain. Huzzah!

And therein lies the problem. GW have such a large customer base, it's next to impossible to please all people all the time. Neither of us here is 'more right' than the other either.

40kGamer
11-17-2014, 09:34 AM
Define their customers.

I for one love the limited stuff.

I'd like a boxed set Mordheim - because that means spangly new models and terrain. Huzzah!

And therein lies the problem. GW have such a large customer base, it's next to impossible to please all people all the time. Neither of us here is 'more right' than the other either.

I'm also a fan of the one off games as they provide a much needed break from WFB or 40k. Plus they can do a limited run and if it is too successful they can circle back and release it again... like they did with Space Hulk.

ElectricPaladin
11-17-2014, 10:19 AM
I would much rather see BFG return as a for-real game, but I'd be willing to buy into it as a big box game. Space Hulk is plenty fun. Honestly, I'd be happy for the opportunity to buy some new ships for my two fleets (Chaos and Imperial) without paying ever-rising eBay prices.

Mr Mystery
11-17-2014, 10:20 AM
Limited run releases could be cool. Say one every six months.

Get the main box, and expansions. Then when they're gone, they're gone - until next time.

Ebay prices show people are willing to pay a premium too.

40kGamer
11-17-2014, 10:28 AM
Limited run releases could be cool. Say one every six months.

Get the main box, and expansions. Then when they're gone, they're gone - until next time.

Ebay prices show people are willing to pay a premium too.

I'm plenty excited over the possibility of limited release games. It's beats having nothing at all.

ElectricPaladin
11-17-2014, 11:04 AM
AND, with big box games, we get the fun of finding our own ways to play with them...

Path Walker
11-17-2014, 11:17 AM
Just give me Warhammer Quest and a few expansion sets and I'll be a happy little chap.

Erik Setzer
11-17-2014, 12:02 PM
Board games like Space Hulk, fine. I'd like a release of more of the old board games they had, like Heroquest.

Dreadfleet didn't sell particularly well, because you can't force an entire game system with multiple forces into being an all-in-one box.

If they did a starter set for a game (like Mordheim) that had two warbands and then also had rules for other warbands that you could make with GW models, that'd be fine. But replacing entire game systems with a single box just doesn't work. It's not the same.

I'm not opposed to new board games. They're good fun. I am opposed to future attempts to replace full game systems with woefully inadequate "all-in-one" boxes.

And as limited stuff goes, I've seen far too many players left out in the cold without a copy of the rules to play their army with the latest toys or whatever because the stores have only enough copies for a tiny fraction of the players. Right now, I would have no moral issues with just photocopying all the relevant rules and handing them to every player wanting a copy, and telling them later, "Don't worry about buying the book now that they came out with another edition, you have what you need. If you want to buy it, fine, but if you're okay playing with just copies, I'm quite happy to let you do that. They told you they didn't want your money, you're just obliging."

In fact, I feel like going around encouraging that. Asking players everywhere to take their limited run books, photocopy all the rules for their friends, and just encourage their friends to not buy the book. Or only buy a single group copy to share in a club. Even better, because sharing a book isn't something their way-too-happy legal eagles can jump all over. Let the sales take huge hits for a completely stupid ploy that doesn't even make sense from a business standpoint. They don't listen to customers, they'll only listen when they start losing money. So let them lose money from their stupid decisions. Screwing over the customers to try to make your immediate revenues look better is not something that should be encouraged, it should be discouraged with extreme prejudice.

- - - Updated - - -

Just give me Warhammer Quest and a few expansion sets and I'll be a happy little chap.

Warhammer Quest is the kind of game a single box release (backed by expansions later) would work for. But that's what it was in the past, too.

It can also work well by later putting articles for it in WD that have rules for models from WFB, especially character models, which help you sell more models.

ElectricPaladin
11-17-2014, 12:16 PM
So, hm... how would I do BFG-in-a-box?

• Core box only includes Imperium and Chaos (other fleets to follow in supplements IF it sells well) as well as some basic terrain. Several of the terrain pieces are somewhat customizable/paintable, while others are pretty but static tiles.
• Ships are NOT customizable, but we can create our own ships, missions, or even a fleet construction guide if we feel like it. :D
• Series of characterful missions following a narrative (a la Space Hulk)
• A brief random mission generation system.
• Supplemental boxes always include a new race's fleet as well as a campaign that can be played against the Imperium OR Chaos (the only two fleets you can be sure someone owns).

Brenlak
11-17-2014, 12:47 PM
Electric Paladin I feel for you brah I really do, but Battle Fleet Gothic is done for...

When they gave up on Mordheim we were able to continue not only because of online support from people who uploaded rules, made new ones and kept our heads in the game; but also because you can use regular fantasy models for your warbands (well except for those Warnuns). BFG would need the support and a new line of models unless as suggested they released an update in White Dwarf and the occasional stand alone add on content. I haven't been to impressed with White Dwarfs one off games so far (Remember the Dark Eldar one? You and your friends all go and buy a Hemonculus and a box of Wracks and take turns moving them around this piece of paper!! Keeeeewl!), and most of the "New" models they are coming out with replace finecast or represent some Intellectual Property they haven't slashed from there canon(Can you tell I played Dark Eldar and Nids?).

Grab a nice bottle of wine and your Battlefleet Gothic, sit by the fire and think about all the great times you had together. Then grab a shovel, smite BFG into gobbets and bury it in your backyard. No tears Electric Paladin; your doing the right thing here. Then head down to your game store and pick up an X-Wing starter box, who says you can never fly again?

Erik Setzer
11-17-2014, 01:07 PM
Grab a nice bottle of wine and your Battlefleet Gothic, sit by the fire and think about all the great times you had together. Then grab a shovel, smite BFG into gobbets and bury it in your backyard. No tears Electric Paladin; your doing the right thing here. Then head down to your game store and pick up an X-Wing starter box, who says you can never fly again?

While I'm going to eventually get around to playing some X-Wing (I bought the box, and I love Star Wars), I plan on playing BFG when I can still. There are plenty of people in my area who still have fleets and rules, and whenever someone offers to sell their stuff, there's plenty of eager people waiting to snatch it up. So even if GW doesn't recognize the customer base is still there, I recognize the player base is still there.

Also, Star Wars Armada might be a better option.

Oh, and fair point on the making up rules. Used to do a lot of that back in the day, for all of GW's games. That's what a lot of the oldest fan sites were. Then people forgot you can do that while getting on this kick of "It's your game" and "Play like you want." Okay, sure, GW's legal eagles were scary, but if you're just making up stuff and especially if you're not trying to somehow profit from it (i.e. ad revenue), there's not much they can do about it, assuming they'd even want to.

ElectricPaladin
11-17-2014, 01:33 PM
The real problem, I think, is the lack of model support. Things like Mordheim can survive because you can still get Fantasy models and kit-bash them a bit. The same is more or less true of Necromunda, and I know for a fact that several people have written 28mm scale Inquisitor rules. But BFG? That requires its own models. BFG actually survived as a community-driven game for a long time, and I was part of that community. I dropped out when GW finally killed the line, because it became to depressing to consider how expensive it would rapidly become to grow my fleets any. And it's true - if you check out places like eBay, BFG ships are rising in price dramatically. Shapeways has some gorgeous alternatives, but... at about 150% the price.

The sad thing is, I firmly believe that GW could continue to sell and promote BFG if they wanted to. It's no coincidence that Spartan's Firestorm Armada exploded onto the scene, with a new edition and updated models, right after GW finally killed BFG.

Ah, well... hope springs eternal. I'll just be giving my money to Spartan in the meantime...

Grom the Paunch
01-24-2015, 05:13 PM
A rerun of Warmaster would be most welcome. :)