PDA

View Full Version : Firing from a Chimera

BlueRonin
02-06-2010, 02:33 PM
A friend of mine asked me whether a Chimera's turret block LOS for those firing from its firing point (the top hatch). I wanted to say no, but then I thought about it and checked the rules. The Codex says that "all shots to be taken from the hatch" (pg. 39) and the main rulebook states "Ranges and line of sight are measured from the fire point itself" (pg. 66), so my interpretation is that the Chimera's turret does indeed block LOS (unless firing at an extreme upward angle).

Is this how others interpret and play it? Basically that the troopers inside a Chimera cannot fire at targets ahead of the tank?

Aldramelech
02-06-2010, 02:36 PM
Goodbye

Sir Biscuit
02-06-2010, 02:47 PM
Be helpful and link to the thread please? I can't seem to find it, and I'm quite interested.

Aldramelech
02-06-2010, 02:50 PM
Goodbye

SeattleDV8
02-06-2010, 03:28 PM
Nope. It does not block LOS. There was a very recent thread on this, check it out.

Incorrect.
The unit embarked is a seperate unit from the trasport and as such the trasport can block it's LOS.
Some people will point to the rule that a unit cannot block it's own LOS, but that is a rule for infantry and only vehicle squardrons.
Note also the BRB FAQ
" However, if you mount the same storm
bolter on a Razorback, even though it still can
rotate 360º, it won’t obviously be able to fire
through the Razorback’s main turret, and so it
will have a ‘blind spot’."
A vehicle can block LOS from itself.

Nabterayl
02-06-2010, 07:58 PM
I can't think of a reason why the turret wouldn't block LOS either. What was the argument, Aldra?

ggg
02-07-2010, 11:32 AM
While it makes sense that a tank's fixed gun points will have blind spots (like the razorback example) I take the view that infantry firing out of the hatch are a tad more flexible - I picture my guardsmen leaning out of the hatch or even resting their grenade launcher on the turret and using the turret as cover to fire behind and so forth.

I tend to be quite generous with opponent's fire points on vehicles as many of the vehicles' weapons have extremely limited fire arcs, particularly when up close (i.e. the old leman russ battle cannon appears to have a minimum range of at least 14" as it can't really be aimed downwards) - It can get a bit silly when being so strict.