View Full Version : Abilities with areas of effect...

Denzark
11-04-2014, 02:29 AM
A small question about abilities with areas of effect.

When a character's ability has a relatively small area of effect, such as 'units within 6"' - I'm thinking of Ulric the Slayer giving preferred enemy to friendly units, is it:

a.) Given to all units who have at least 1 model within 6" of said character.

or

b.) Given to all units with all their models within 6" of said character.

or

c.) Given to all models of any unit within 6" of said character.

Its just 6" always seems to me to be a small bubble and I'm wondering how best to get around it. Any BRB reference from the rulesmiths on here would be useful.

daboarder
11-04-2014, 02:36 AM
it is C

HOWEVER,

Those rules often stipulate that if 1 model in the unit has the special rule, then ALL models get it. as such while c is the correct answer A is often how it works in practice

Denzark
11-04-2014, 02:52 AM
DAB - thanks chap. So it would be

Step 1 - check how many models are are within the bubble of effect and treat them accordingly.

Step 2 - check if the effect (if USR) applies to everyone within a Squad and if so treat them accordingly for every squad with at least 1 within the 6" range.

I guess it would have been easier if GW simply wrote : "All models within 6" rather than "All units within 6".

But hey...

daboarder
11-04-2014, 03:01 AM
DAB - thanks chap. So it would be

Step 1 - check how many models are are within the bubble of effect and treat them accordingly.

Step 2 - check if the effect (if USR) applies to everyone within a Squad and if so treat them accordingly for every squad with at least 1 within the 6" range.

I guess it would have been easier if GW simply wrote : "All models within 6" rather than "All units within 6".

But hey...

Oh ****, sorry Denzark no I got that backwards.

There are two types of bubbles.

The first is where it is "All units within 6" and that just works like A, no questions asked, one model in the unit in range means the whole unit is in range.

Then, there is the type I was addressing in my first post, the more common "all models within 6" and that works like I said originally.

So sorry for the confusion

Denzark
11-04-2014, 03:18 AM
Aha no problem.

Actually that was what I was wanting to hear (the cunning plan for my SW drop army is to try and get 50 men on the ground first turn all with at least on model within 6" of Ulric).

daboarder
11-04-2014, 03:19 AM
good luck, and remember 6 is still an area 12 across, you've got a lot to work with

Dave Mcturk
11-04-2014, 04:58 AM
has anyone else noticed how good the new 7th 'command' traits for warlords are - compared to now 'old' codexes like eldar - or CSM ?

12" bubbles - ! :cool:

John Bower
11-05-2014, 04:43 AM
That 12" 'bubble' is getting quite common, if you look at 'Kill Team' it's the same, your leader has a 12" bubble that if he succeeds his 'break test' so does any model within 12" of him.

daboarder
11-05-2014, 04:01 PM
has anyone else noticed how good the new 7th 'command' traits for warlords are - compared to now 'old' codexes like eldar - or CSM ?

12" bubbles - ! :cool:

The tau one still well holds its own, particularly with the "re-rolls" my nids would kill to be able to ingore natures Bull****