PDA

View Full Version : CaptainMarvel film!

DrLove42
10-28-2014, 01:03 PM
Marvel is having a conference to detail phase 3 films.

O e of the big reveal is Carol Danvers, Captain Marvel
http://marvel.com/news/movies/23549/captain_marvel_soars_into_the_marvel_cinematic_uni verse

Mr Mystery
10-28-2014, 01:27 PM
I think I can hear Eldargal squeeing from here!

Black Panther too.

Said before, and I'll say it again. This is a great time to be a Nerd!

Path Walker
10-28-2014, 01:28 PM
DC said "hey guys, we're still realeasing some films too, guys? Hello? i really don't think I should be alone tonight ..."

Mr Mystery
10-28-2014, 01:39 PM
DC said "hey guys, we're still realeasing some films too, guys? Hello? i really don't think I should be alone tonight ..."

Whilst I'm firmly a Marvel Man (to the point UK editor of Spider-Man is a long time friend *coughnamedropcough* I still hope DC have the sense to offer a differen style, so both parties can feed off each other's success, and maybe even see a universe cross over.

DrLove42
10-28-2014, 01:42 PM
It an awesome list of films

Captain America 3 Civil War
Doctor Strange
Guardians 2
Thor Ragnarok
Avengers Infinte War - in 2 parts!

Im so excited for all these!

Eldar_Atog
10-28-2014, 03:13 PM
It's not movie related but the Ms Marvel graphic novel comes out today too. It's a pretty good day to be a Marvel fan :)

Mr Mystery
10-28-2014, 03:20 PM
It's always a good day to be a Marvel Fan!

Eldar_Atog
10-28-2014, 03:37 PM
It's always a good day to be a Marvel Fan!

Most days are good.. except for when the movie X-Men: Last Stand came out. Dark days, Mystery... Dark days.

And if Ang Lee were ever to have made a Hulk movie, it would have been a pretty bad day. Thankfully, there is no such thing as a Hulk movie made by Ang Lee. Nope, no such thing exists.... or will ever exist.....

Mr Mystery
10-28-2014, 03:43 PM
Still better than Man of Steel......

Charistoph
10-28-2014, 04:45 PM
I think I can hear Eldargal squeeing from here!

She's not the only one. Danvers is one of the few superwomen that actually has a figure! I hope they actually manage to find a star that can pull her off. She's a lot like Wonder Woman that way.

Black Panther too.

I wonder which one, the early one or the full Wackandan Prince.

Eldar_Atog
10-28-2014, 05:56 PM

I'm still trying to figure out how they made a worse superman movie than superman IV. Such a thing should not be possible.

eldargal
10-29-2014, 12:24 AM
*flailsqueals*

No Black Widow film though, much bull****, very sexist, wow. So bad that by the time Captain Marvel has her film released there will be close to two dozen Marvel films by then. A decade of MCU and a token female is ****ing appalling.

Gotthammer
10-29-2014, 04:21 AM
If Marvel makes Thor 3 [as its first 2017 release], it will have made ten movies headlined by blond white men named Chris before it makes one movie headlined by someone who isn’t even white.” While not besmirching the talent or integrity of Chris Evans, Chris Hemsworth and Chris Pratt, that’s taking lack of diversity to admirably comic levels.

— The Hollywood Reporter, “Warner Bros. and DC Expose Marvel’s Achilles Heel: Diversity (http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/warner-bros-dc-expose-marvels-741624)"

eldargal
10-29-2014, 04:37 AM
Yup, we've gone from no female leads to one, it's literally the least they can do that is better than nothing and while it is literally better than nothing it is still terrible. I mean I'm super excited for this film but the context of clear and obvious misogyny is clear. Black Widow gets no film, Wasp gets killed off screen, and each of the main guys gets their sequels prioritised over everything else.

Brakkart
10-29-2014, 06:10 AM
Yeah the total lack of a Black Widow movie is shocking, especially considering that she will have been a major supporting character in 4 movies (and possibly 5 if she's in Cap 3) by the time Captain Marvel's film finally comes out! Not to mention Sif playing the supporting role in 3 Thor movies (and an Agents of SHIELD episode) by then also. Thankfully we have DC/WB with Wonder Woman in both Dawn of Justice and her own movie in 2016 too look forward too.

Darren Richardson
10-29-2014, 07:08 AM

eveyr superhero film is better than Man of Steel.....

Gotthammer
10-29-2014, 07:16 AM
http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r104/rjgibson/jesus_christ_vampire_hunter.gif

It's a musical!

Mr Mystery
10-29-2014, 07:33 AM

Except Daredevil.

Brakkart
10-29-2014, 07:50 AM

Except Daredevil, Elektra, Catwoman, Steel, any of the Fantastic Four movies, the last 3 Spiderman movies, Hulk, either of the Ghost Rider movies, all 3 Punisher movies, X-Men: The Last Stand, Supergirl, Superman 3 & 4 Batman Forever, Batman & Robin. There's really quite the list of superhero films that are worse than Man of Steel.

Mr Mystery
10-29-2014, 07:52 AM
Nah.

It's basically just Daredevil :p

And WB are playing with fire. God-awful Superman, and Ben Affleck - sharing the same scene. Chewing the same scenery.....yikes! :p

Eldar_Atog
10-29-2014, 08:27 AM
Except Daredevil, Elektra, Catwoman, Steel, any of the Fantastic Four movies, the last 3 Spiderman movies, Hulk, either of the Ghost Rider movies, all 3 Punisher movies, X-Men: The Last Stand, Supergirl, Superman 3 & 4 Batman Forever, Batman & Robin. There's really quite the list of superhero films that are worse than Man of Steel.

I have to disagree with you on some of these. As atrocious as Superman 3 and 4 were, they were at least Superman movies. Man of Steel almost felt like a violation of the ethics of Superman. It was kind of like watching a friend succumb to meth addiction. You grew up with this person but they are doing all these strange things. Being flirty in the pounded flat Metropolis.. breaking someone's neck with seemly no remorse. It just wasn't the person I grew up with.

I would say that Supergirl was a better Superman movie. As campy and silly as that movie was, it was still something I could recognize. Superman only appears in it as a picture but that was a bigger appearance than he made in Man of Steel.

Sorry for the mini rant but that movie really bothered me.

Mr Mystery
10-29-2014, 08:59 AM
I have to disagree with you on some of these. As atrocious as Superman 3 and 4 were, they were at least Superman movies. Man of Steel almost felt like a violation of the ethics of Superman. It was kind of like watching a friend succumb to meth addiction. You grew up with this person but they are doing all these strange things. Being flirty in the pounded flat Metropolis.. breaking someone's neck with seemly no remorse. It just wasn't the person I grew up with.

I would say that Supergirl was a better Superman movie. As campy and silly as that movie was, it was still something I could recognize. Superman only appears in it as a picture but that was a bigger appearance than he made in Man of Steel.

Sorry for the mini rant but that movie really bothered me.

Pretty much the same here - and no real motivation for Zod to just destroy the earth. No attempt made to explore other options (Supes signs up, and they go terraform Mars for instance).

Charistoph
10-29-2014, 09:24 AM
*flailsqueals*

No Black Widow film though, much bull****, very sexist, wow. So bad that by the time Captain Marvel has her film released there will be close to two dozen Marvel films by then. A decade of MCU and a token female is ****ing appalling.

If Marvel makes Thor 3 [as its first 2017 release], it will have made ten movies headlined by blond white men named Chris before it makes one movie headlined by someone who isn’t even white.” While not besmirching the talent or integrity of Chris Evans, Chris Hemsworth and Chris Pratt, that’s taking lack of diversity to admirably comic levels.
— The Hollywood Reporter, “Warner Bros. and DC Expose Marvel’s Achilles Heel: Diversity (http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/warner-bros-dc-expose-marvels-741624)"

To be sadly fair, the superhero genre isn't exactly rife with a low ratio of men to women in the first place, mostly due to boys being the target demographic for decades. It's changed in the comic industry a bit, but the old stand-bys are the ones our grandfathers grew up with, so that makes them "safe" from a Hollywood perspective. How many times has Superman, Batman, and Captain America "died", now?

At least Captain Marvel's getting her own movie. How is Wonder Woman's movie coming along, again?

A Black Widow movie? What do you get when you combine a reverse-gender James Bond with Batman's rogue gallery?

Curiosity question for those in the know, who was the first Marvel female hero to be a main-liner, (i.e. get her own line, not one-offs, but at least a few comics that weren't 1 of 4)?

Wildeybeast
10-29-2014, 10:56 AM

DC seems to be staking its claim in the TV market, with Arrow, Flash and Gotham. Marvel only have AoS, though it is admittedly better than all DC's offerings.

Eldar_Atog
10-29-2014, 11:47 AM
Curiosity question for those in the know, who was the first Marvel female hero to be a main-liner, (i.e. get her own line, not one-offs, but at least a few comics that weren't 1 of 4)?

My guess was She-Hulk but decided to look it up. In the 70's, She-Hulk, Ms Marvel, Spider-Woman and Dazzler all had books. Marvel had had a few female books in the 50's but they were not set in what we think of as the Marvel universe. These books were printed when Marvel was known as Timely or Atlas comics.

So from 1960 till roughly 1975, you didn't have any major female characters that had their own monthly line. They were part of teams of mostly white males.

Charistoph
10-29-2014, 11:30 PM
My guess was She-Hulk but decided to look it up. In the 70's, She-Hulk, Ms Marvel, Spider-Woman and Dazzler all had books. Marvel had had a few female books in the 50's but they were not set in what we think of as the Marvel universe. These books were printed when Marvel was known as Timely or Atlas comics.

So from 1960 till roughly 1975, you didn't have any major female characters that had their own monthly line. They were part of teams of mostly white males.

I'm not surprised about She-Hulk, only a little surprised about Spider-Woman (the red one, I assume) and Marvel. I had forgot completely about Dazzler.

She-Hulk would be a good one to go with for a separate movie, with it starting as a spin off from Hulk (the more recent Norton version), of course. That character can stand on her own, for sure, as easily as Marvel (maybe even easier).

I can't say I'm as familiar with Spider-Woman as even Dazzler, but I was focused more on the X-Men when I was younger. I saw her most in the Secret Invasion, sort of.

eldargal
10-30-2014, 03:30 AM
DC seems to be staking its claim in the TV market, with Arrow, Flash and Gotham. Marvel only have AoS, though it is admittedly better than all DC's offerings.
Actually I'd say Gotham is up there with AoS at the same in its first series, and The Flash is pretty good too. I don't like Arrow.

Mr Mystery
10-30-2014, 06:33 AM
I'm enjoying Gotham.

Now, for my weigh-in on the whole diversity issue.

Frankly, it's disappointing.

Marvel as a comics publisher have always been happy to push against social mores. X-Men are all about doing that. They're not scared to tackle social issues etc. Never have been, hopefully never will be. They just need to follow that through with the Movies.

I appreciate it's a very different market - but they should still show the same bravery as they did with their first black characters, first female characters, first gay characters etc and just be 'yes, yes they are. Your point was?'

Charistoph
10-30-2014, 09:31 AM
I'm enjoying Gotham.

Now, for my weigh-in on the whole diversity issue.

Frankly, it's disappointing.

Marvel as a comics publisher have always been happy to push against social mores. X-Men are all about doing that. They're not scared to tackle social issues etc. Never have been, hopefully never will be. They just need to follow that through with the Movies.

I appreciate it's a very different market - but they should still show the same bravery as they did with their first black characters, first female characters, first gay characters etc and just be 'yes, yes they are. Your point was?'

The counter-point is do they make their long-term stars fit those molds, or do they like they have done in the comics (up till recently) to use them to introduce those types of characters? "Everyone" knows that Thor is a Viking-esque male god, so that means male and white. "Everyone" knows that Captain America was a blonde-haired white guy, because that's how WWII military mostly was (well, white, not necessarily blonde). "Everyone" knows what Iron Man is. Heck, it was pretty bold to make Nick Fury black, even though the Ultimates have him that way (and Sam Jackson was and is an excellent choice, imo). Black Widow is a russian woman, so having her be african or latina would have been off-putting (though Scarlet should have at least tried for an accent).

At least they kept Falcon as a black man and didn't kill him off during the fight.

And these other characters who fit the types that you want to see represented may have been great on their own today, just aren't as well known and wouldn't have had the draw to start with. Heck, they could have made Daredevil a gay latino, and only the comic fans would have known how off that was (that and the whole Electra side-line would have been... interesting).

So much like the comic lines, give them a chance to build up properly, we've just seen the first real super-hero team movie come out and they can diversify from there.

Mr Mystery
10-30-2014, 09:49 AM
It's not about changing the gender or race of a given character, but using their ridiculously extensive catalogue of heroes and villains to reflect this.

Read about how Falcon's son responded to his Dad being cast - it's pretty powerful!

Most of the current crop weren't the best known. Iron Man and Thor in particular. But the success and passion of the movies made them household names.

Now yes, it does say something very sad about society in general that white men are still the most bankable bet - but they should have diversified so much sooner!

Charistoph
10-30-2014, 10:08 AM
It's not about changing the gender or race of a given character, but using their ridiculously extensive catalogue of heroes and villains to reflect this.

Read about how Falcon's son responded to his Dad being cast - it's pretty powerful!

Most of the current crop weren't the best known. Iron Man and Thor in particular. But the success and passion of the movies made them household names.

Now yes, it does say something very sad about society in general that white men are still the most bankable bet - but they should have diversified so much sooner!

They can only make one or two movies at a time. To put it another way, using those big names is a way to bank roll the films that introduce and build on those characters and allow them to rise and fall as they may. If Avengers wasn't successful, I doubt Captain Marvel or Panther would even have been considered.

And as much as Hollywood would like to deny it, the US and the world just isn't as liberal and accepting as they are. The country is far more tolerant than it was, but aside from extremists on both sides, most of us just flat out don't care, and be just as happy if people stop trying to shove acceptance down our throats as much as rejection or violent opposition.

Al Shut
10-30-2014, 10:27 AM
I'm not quite up to date with the latest bunch of Marvel movies, did Captain Marvel already appear in some form?

How many people are actually aware that she's a woman, because to be honest I wasn't. (This board really needs an embarrassed smiley)

DWest
10-30-2014, 11:14 AM
Personally, I'd like to see them shake things up more, but I'm not sure that Black Widow, as she is currently characterized, would make a good lead for a film; Natasha Romanov wants nothing to do with the spotlight, and actively avoids it when possible. (and yes, I've seen Cap 2, and I believe the ending proves my point; however skilled she is, Black Widow is nothing more than a +1 Vorpal Minion, and the committee knows it, so they're not going to waste time trying to hold her up as a consolation trophy.)

A Black Widow film would have to do some serious transformative work on Romanov to make her into the type of character who would be a lead, or have that work done in one of the other films to set one up. Not saying it couldn't be done, but I'm asking if it would be better to do that transformation, or bring in another female character who can take the lead from the beginning?

Unless of course they go with bumping off Thor in Ragnarok and have her pick up the hammer. That would be amazing.

Darren Richardson
10-30-2014, 05:40 PM
Personally, I'd like to see them shake things up more, but I'm not sure that Black Widow, as she is currently characterized, would make a good lead for a film.

I don't know, have you read the story arc "The Name of the Rose"from her 2010 Limited Series, she's the only "Superhero" in it at all IIRC and it's a tense thriller, damn fine read, touches on her history, I highly recommend it

DWest
10-30-2014, 05:56 PM
I don't know, have you read the story arc "The Name of the Rose"from her 2010 Limited Series, she's the only "Superhero" in it at all IIRC and it's a tense thriller, damn fine read, touches on her history, I highly recommend it
I'll check it out, but I'm not talking about the comics, I'm talking about how she has been portrayed on the screen.

Charistoph
10-30-2014, 10:33 PM
A Black Widow film would have to do some serious transformative work on Romanov to make her into the type of character who would be a lead, or have that work done in one of the other films to set one up. Not saying it couldn't be done, but I'm asking if it would be better to do that transformation, or bring in another female character who can take the lead from the beginning?

In terms of Scarlett Johansson, maybe.

As I said earlier, The Widow is a Russian-trained female James Bond. What we have seen is the Widow after she found escape from the hell she was in, trying to play nice so she doesn't have to go back.

In order to have a good Widow-led movie, it would have to put her in a position that would make most other movie spies blanch, imo. It's doable, but it would take a good writer to make it successful.

Unless of course they go with bumping off Thor in Ragnarok and have her pick up the hammer. That would be amazing.

With HER temper? *shudders*

Darren Richardson
10-31-2014, 02:14 AM
In terms of Scarlett Johansson, maybe.

Yeah, we know shje CAN carry a film as a lead, she did that one where she's an alien her in the UK bumping off blokes (not seen it only going on what I've heard about it) and that Luc Besson film "Lucy" which she had a very action star heavy role in.

- - - Updated - - -

I'll check it out, but I'm not talking about the comics, I'm talking about how she has been portrayed on the screen.

I know your talking about the film wise, I'm saying if they adopted a story like that, that explored her dark bloody history, and yeah it's bloody, it would work very well.....

I think it's because she such a dark character in the comics when she's NOT with the Avengers (or Spidey, she sometimes hangs out with him as well) that's why Marvel are hanging back and not doing a solo film for her, if they stuck faithfully to her blood soaked history, it would end up being an 18 rated film :D

DWest
10-31-2014, 06:22 AM
I know your talking about the film wise, I'm saying if they adopted a story like that, that explored her dark bloody history, and yeah it's bloody, it would work very well....
Ahh, okay. I was reading it as "you make the film expecting the viewers to read the comic beforehand so they knew what was going on", which historically has not gone well.

Darren Richardson
10-31-2014, 08:11 AM
Ahh, okay. I was reading it as "you make the film expecting the viewers to read the comic beforehand so they knew what was going on", which historically has not gone well.

Yeah I hate films which do that, very annoying :(

I should have gave more about the story of that Arc, it's set in the (as then) current period, but actions from her dark sorid past were coming back to bit her in the proverbial :D